This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nickux (1377 posts) -

Ryan just said on the BLLSL that if they hit 5,000 paid members by 10AM PDT on 9/10 the Bombcast in its entirety will be free for all. Hopefully things will calm down now. 5,000 seems like an easy number to hit considering they're already up to 2,500 (as of 1PM PDT)

#2 Posted by Izaak (248 posts) -

Yes, it's a fucking ransom and they're just money grabbing now. 

#3 Posted by hilld1985 (50 posts) -

I will cancel my subscription if those filthy people who refuse to subscribe get free access to the bombcast. 

#4 Posted by xanavi (179 posts) -

He didn't specify that it had to be a full, annual subscription either. If you guys chip in $5 this one time, the bombcast stays unchanged until the end of time.

#5 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

That's weird considering some people signed up to get the Bombcast.

#6 Posted by Belonpopo (1822 posts) -

What a selfish ass move. 

#7 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I kind of hope we don't make it to that goal because of all the fucking whiners on these forums. 

#8 Edited by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

This is just another reason not to subscribe. You can get it for free so why pay. If the bombcast was an exclusive I would pay, but thats the main reason I was going to subscribe as soon as I could let go of my precious $50. But now I have to reconsider tommorow and ee if it is indeed free for anyone.

#9 Posted by nickux (1377 posts) -
@xanavi said:
" He didn't specify that it had to be a full, annual subscription either. If you guys chip in $5 this one time, the bombcast stays unchanged until the end of time. "
Exactly. I mean, I spent more than $5 on a vitamin water & muffin this morning. Five bucks a month is a non-issue for me but I realize a lot of users aren't able to do it. Even so I think if we're at 4,000+ tomorrow morning, the Bombcast isn't going to change. I think they heard the outcry. 
#10 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

Whoever wins, you lose, apparently.

#11 Posted by Brendan (8131 posts) -

This is all weird for both sides of the issue for me.  I don't like that they are messing with the Bombcast, and it seems odd that now they will reunite it once they get 5000 sign ups.  Soo...did they not need money for the Bombcast in the first place?  I mean, to cancel that original plan until the end of time means that the initial 5000 subscribers can't possibly cover that cost forever, correct?  If so, then how much thought was put into the Bombcast idea in the first place, that they will flip flop immediately in response to community backlash?  At the same time, it seems a good idea to respond to community input, and try to reach a compromise with the fans on the issue.  It's just odd.
#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Absolutely ridiculous. Hey we know this feature is pissing a lot of people up. So subscribe! And we will remove it!

#13 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

If my Xbox hadn't broken this week I would have signed up but I should have the cash by next month so I'm not really that concerned either way.

#14 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1210 posts) -

Already done! I was already planning to subscribe anyway, but I can sort of understand why dudes are complaining. It was free for more than 2 years and it seems strange that they would make it premium content now.

#15 Edited by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Only if this affected me. It really doesn't, but I hope the people that want it to be free get it. Also hilarious to hear from all the subscribers that now act like pretentious assholes. Not all of you, and actually not most of you, but these some have already made themselves apparent with their lovely remarks. I know I sound like a dick with that statement (and I'm probably judging without understanding), but hoping for people to not get the bombcast for free because they're "fucking whiners" is pretty immature or if you threaten to cancel your subscription cause you're upset if something goes free again. Those people know who they are and I know I actually sound like the dick here. It's a divided issue, and both sides are right and wrong.

I'm mixed on this but it doesn't really bother me. It is what it is in my mind and the dudes have to make money.

#16 Posted by Scullinator (514 posts) -

Just make it FREE.  This is starting to piss me off. 

#17 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

I'm going to try hard as hell to get 5 bucks together today so I can sign up. Fuck it, if I can chip in 5 bucks and both support the site and help keep the bombcast together, i'll do it.    

#18 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

I think they are messing with us, this doesent make any sense.

#19 Posted by Beforet (2932 posts) -

I actually didn't know about the Bombcast change when I signed up. It seems pretty weird.

#20 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

I subscribed but I don't like their bombcast idea. hopefully we reach 5k

#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -
@xanavi said:
" He didn't specify that it had to be a full, annual subscription either. If you guys chip in $5 this one time, the bombcast stays unchanged until the end of time. "
$5? Who do you think I am, Scrooge McDuck? I don't have that kind of cash!
#22 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Absolutely ridiculous. Hey we know this feature is pissing a lot of people up. So subscribe! And we will remove it! "
Brilliant marketing ploy.
#23 Posted by JayHayabusa (150 posts) -
@MrOldboy said:
" This is just another reason not to subscribe. You can get it for free so why pay. If the bombcast was an exclusive I would pay, but thats the main reason I was going to subscribe as soon as I could let go of my precious $50. But now I have to reconsider tommorow and ee if it is indeed free for anyone. "
If ure only paying for the bombcast ure missing the whole point douche! We are subscribing to support these guys and keep them going on...
#24 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I subscribed mostly for people who couldn't pay

and the ability to download videos in HD but THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE.

#25 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

I fully support Whiskey Media in everything they are doing other than this. They are a business so it's totally fine for them to charge people for certain privileges but splitting the bombcast is absolutely stupid. I doubt they will reach 5000 users by tomorrow so hopefully the community backlash will make them come to their senses and get it back to normal.     

#26 Posted by Daracon (26 posts) -
I subscribed to let everyone have the podcast :)

#27 Posted by TJSmash (83 posts) -

Regarding the Bombcast it's one of the most, if not the most, popular piece of content on their website, so naturally they are going to use it to monetize.   I understand why they are doing this as it will help them uphold their mission statement and how they want to do things.   Also announcing that the cast will be split, but then later on stating that if 5000 subs are gained by Friday, the cast will stay as is is a shady bait and switch at best.  

I imagine any future cool features will be only available to subscribers also.  If that were the case the $50/year could possibly be more justified.

With all that said, their entire tone of all this subscription stuff is kind of insulting to people's intelligence.  The whole "We'd rather be in business with our user base" crap is crap.  We are customers/users, not investors.  Customers pay for a product or service, investors invest hoping to make a return on their investment.  So please stop with this falsity that people who subscribe are "part of the team" and the "podcast takes 14 man hours to make poor us" guilt tripping.  If your product is good enough it will speak for itself and people will buy into it.

#28 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I'm noticing what some non-subscribers are saying on the forums. Mainly "I don't have the money now, but I'll definitely have it next week or next month". You guys make it sound like you're being forced to pay. I say don't pay. If they want t opull this shenanigans then we don't need the Bombcast. There are plenty of other podcasts that are free and they don't bitch and complain about how much it costs to run one. They find other alternatives to run one without screwing the community over.

#29 Posted by raiz265 (2242 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Absolutely ridiculous. Hey we know this feature is pissing a lot of people up. So subscribe! And we will remove it! "
this. 

but whatever, haven't listened to it in months
#30 Edited by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

I all come here for is the bombcast, reviews and the forums.  Paying the subscription just for the bombcast doesnt seem to be in my best interest does it.  Thats what pisses me off, I don't care about anything else. 

-Edit: what weirds me out, since I love the crew, is the fact that this is the first and only time I have seen a podcast being compromised for the sake of money.  CNET, Gamespot, Kotaku, 1up, its all free.  What happened Giant Bomb?  Come on!  You are making anyone who said your site and podcast was the best look like retards.  Put that the bombcast is present by Trojan Condoms or something but don't do this.

#31 Edited by MrOldboy (870 posts) -
@JayHayabusa said:

" @MrOldboy said:

" This is just another reason not to subscribe. You can get it for free so why pay. If the bombcast was an exclusive I would pay, but thats the main reason I was going to subscribe as soon as I could let go of my precious $50. But now I have to reconsider tommorow and ee if it is indeed free for anyone. "
If ure only paying for the bombcast ure missing the whole point douche! We are subscribing to support these guys and keep them going on... "
They'll keep going on just fine. I understand everything that is going on. But as a college student on a budget I have to weigh the costs of everything I buy. I also want the HD videos, which I can understand why thats a subscriber feature because of bandwidth concern. But they are now selling us a product, they can talk about supporting them and everyone can feel like they are. But the fact is the subscription is a product. It needs to be worth what people are paying, otherwise it would be called a donation. I would gladly pay $50, but I want to know what I will be getting. More features down the road, is the timed bomcast really going to be a premium? I cant just give $50 without knowing what I am spending it on.
#32 Edited by Dark_Twist (7 posts) -

Yeahh me too.

#33 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Wait what, the podcasts are only for members now?

#34 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -
@Afroman269: 

The podcast will be split into two parts.  The first part is free for everyone, the second is for subscribers. A week later the whole thing is free.
#35 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" Wait what, the podcasts are only for members now? "
They are breaking it into two segments. One for everyone and one for the members. The second part will be available to non-paying members a week later.
#36 Posted by Anund (940 posts) -
@TJSmash said: 

" [..] announcing that the cast will be split, but then later on stating that if 5000 subs are gained by Friday, the cast will stay as is is a shady bait and switch at best."

That it is. I primarily subscribed to support the site and the team, however, I'm starting to regret doing so. This whole affair has been handled very poorly I think, and I'm starting to get the feeling this is all about money now. Anyway... Guess I already gave them the money. Better be one hell of a t-shirt :P    
#37 Edited by schizogony (977 posts) -

I continue to laugh heartily in this site's general direction.

#38 Posted by Spooty (86 posts) -

To be honest, I don't mind throwing some money in if they do this. Because the bombcast split was the real thing that kept me from paying.

#39 Posted by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -
@Scullinator said:
" Just make it FREE.  This is starting to piss me off.  "
#40 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" Wait what, the podcasts are only for members now? "
They are breaking it into two segments. One for everyone and one for the members. The second part will be available to non-paying members a week later. "
Why's everybody getting so upset then if we're still going to get it? It's just one week. Still, if this makes the community THAT mad, maybe Whiskey should just make it free for everyone and release it all at the same time.
#41 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -
@JayHayabusa said:
" @MrOldboy said:
If ure only paying for the bombcast ure missing the whole point douche! We are subscribing to support these guys and keep them going on... "
Exactly, the sub is to support the guys so they make more awesome content. The amount of moaners coming out of the woodwork is unbelievable. Go listent to the special bombcast has all the info you need, seems like some asshat who dont know anything said something and now everyone is flippin out "OMG bombcast for cash?" "What, Jeff ate a baby, not geting my money now the bastards". You dont want to pay thats fine, just dont bum other people out by being a little bitch.
#42 Posted by Thayne24 (21 posts) -
@hilld1985 said:
" I will cancel my subscription if those filthy people who refuse to subscribe get free access to the bombcast.  "
your a dick
#43 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

Laying down five bucks. Just hope I can upgrade and get a shirt later on.

#44 Edited by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

5 bucks is worth it.  so wait, is it a one time payment ? 

all i want is bombcast on day one.  waiting a week for a podcast is a waste, because then it's old news.

#45 Posted by AdmiralStupid (78 posts) -

It doesn't seem completely terrible to pay for some of the stuff that the Whisky Media team do/have done over the past couple of years. 

That being said, the bombcast situation seems to have been a little weird in the way they went about it: seemed like a potentially divisive issue to begin with, but then the turnaround with the getting people to pay money so that one of the proposed benefits for paying is removed makes little sense and does seem a very "seat of your pants" kind of idea. 

And, just for the record, have tried (repeatedly) to subscribe myself, but Chrome just keeps immediately shutting down when I try to.

#46 Posted by lord_canti (1522 posts) -

im just annoyed coz  i want to pay but don't have money atm stupid student loan not coming on time ¬_¬

#47 Posted by Parsnip (1116 posts) -

So timed exclusives eh? Because we like them so much on our games, we must like them on our favourite websites as well!

Makes perfect sense, right?

#48 Posted by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

Seriously? Ok, I think it is time for a rant.

This is essentially depriving non-subscribers like me of content. It's not what you guys set out to do when you made this site. Or at least, I hope it wasn't. It's a cheap move, and nobody benefits from it. Also, if you think I am whining, then whatever. It doesn't change the fact that this is wrong. Take it for what it is. It just makes the site worse, and loses the hits that the guys worked so hard to get.

If you guys are serious about this, then you made the wrong call, and need to fix the problem. If you're just fucking with us, then nobody is laughing.

#49 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@damnboyadvance said:
" If you're just fucking with us, then nobody is laughing. "
At this point, anyone seriously thinking they're joking about the Bombcast thing is deluding themselves.  They've talked about it on the special Bombcast and on the BLLSH.  They're not kidding about doing this and they justify their reasons somewhat well on that Bombcast.
#50 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

Content is the only thing they have to monetize other than swag. And I doubt t-shirts could cover even the insane bandwidth costs of all this video and audio