If 5k people subscribe- Bombcast reunites

This topic is locked from further discussion.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By august
@DeadPan said:
" @august said:

" @DeadPan said:

" @Radiohead said:

" @damnboyadvance:  Its just like what a lot of people are saying on here. There not taking anything away from you that you didn't already have. If that second half of the bombcast coming a week late bothers you that much, than you obviously enjoy it quite a bit. So just maby it wouldn't be too big of a deal to just lay down $5 to help support this site and the awesome guys running it. Come on bud, $5 cant be to hard to come by, go walk a neighbors dog or something. "
They get paid by Whiskey Media, they don't need supporting because this is there job, and as part of there job they are obliged to ill there site with content "

What's that? You're an angry teenager who has no idea how business investment works?  Fascinating! I look forward to more of your acute insight! "
 Aww that cute :D Investment?  We will see what they do in 6 months with that money. After all i remember a much hyped iphone app that fell flat....   Seems to me they need to come begging to their community because no advertisers will come near them. But belive their story all you want :D "
I wasn't talking about what services they will provide in the future, or whether you will find them worth your money.

I was referring to the fact that chuckles here seesm to think the guys should simply do "there" job because they get paid "there" money by Whisky Media, and apparently Whisky Media gets its money to pay them and fund the website from the Magical Money Fairy.
GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By GioVANNI
@hilld1985 said:
" I will cancel my subscription if those filthy people who refuse to subscribe get free access to the bombcast.  "
By saying that you're only saying the WM guys did a piss-poor job at making this not segregate the community.

How uptight can someone be?  Fuck.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By EdIsCool

the splitting of the bombcast is a boycotting issue. I have no way of paying them ( do not own a credit card), I would have paid them before they did this if I could, would have been the tipping point for filling in the forms etc. But this bombcast shit is unbelievable.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By eskimo

They're holding content for ransom. I would've been happy to pay if they hadn't done this, but now it brings the integrity of the whole site into question. I half expect ads to appear and more content to disappear.  

I've recently recommended this site, especially the bombcast, to a bunch of friends and now I feel stupid considering they would have to pay for half the podcast....

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@defaulttag said:
"where can i see the progress of paid memberships? I want to see how many more users need to subscribe. "

Truth be told, I have a hunch they already hit it. Why would they announce it before the deadline if it meant calming the storm?
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106  Edited By TheMustacheHero

How pathetic. "If we don't get 5k subscribers then we will HAVE to make the bombcast into 2 parts!"
 Oh really? Screw you.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By FengShuiGod
@LunarAura said:
" @defaulttag said:
"where can i see the progress of paid memberships? I want to see how many more users need to subscribe. "
Truth be told, I have a hunch they already hit it. Why would they announce it before the deadline if it meant calming the storm? "
Hell, why would they announce it at the deadline? They can just say "Oh well, we didn't hit 5,000" even if they his 10,000. Money-in-the-bank.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i really dont care either way except 

this really does seem like a cash grab

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#109  Edited By Astras

OMFG I BETTER SUBSCRIBE... wait, maybe I won't

LordCrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#110  Edited By LordCrom

The reforming of the Bombcast needs to happen, NO MATTER WHAT.  This was a massive mistep in the creation of the paid subscriptions.  This is one of those situations where everyone looking in can see that it is a mistake, but those at the heart of the matter, can't.  When Sony announced the price of the PSP GO at $250, everyone on the outside could see that as a mistake where Sony could not.  (Not to pick on Sony, but) when they announced the original price of the PS3 at $599.  Everyone on the outside could (again) see that this was a mistake. 

Guys of GB, I hope with the amount of quick and negative feedback to this one choice, you realize that it was a mistake on your part and correct it in short order.   

I get the Bombcast on iTunes and am an annual subscriber, but I am sure you will not be able to get me my paid for "current" two hours in that form.  In which case, even as a member who has paid for it, you have fucked me over on the Bombcast as well.
ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By ImpendingFoil
@LordCrom said:
"I get the Bombcast on iTunes and am an annual subscriber, but I am sure you will not be able to get me my paid for "current" two hours in that form.  In which case, even as a member who has paid for it, you have fucked me over on the Bombcast as well. "

I'm monthly right now purely for the fact that I get the bombcast on iTunes and I want to see how much this whole subscription thing fucks me over also.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#112  Edited By damnboyadvance
@Radiohead said:
" @damnboyadvance:  Its just like what a lot of people are saying on here. There not taking anything away from you that you didn't already have. If that second half of the bombcast coming a week late bothers you that much, than you obviously enjoy it quite a bit. So just maby it wouldn't be too big of a deal to just lay down $5 to help support this site and the awesome guys running it. Come on bud, $5 cant be to hard to come by, go walk a neighbors dog or something. "
What bothers me is that they're really is no good reason for this. It's ridiculous. I mean, if they go through with this, then I'm done listening to the podcast, and I'm sure other non-subscribers that don't plan to subscribe for now will stop as well. If I don't want to pay that $5 right now, then leave the issue alone. Don't force it on me with shit like this.
HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By HawkSE

<---- It doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Chirag4
@Leptok said:
"  I'm going to try hard as hell to get 5 bucks together today so I can sign up. Fuck it, if I can chip in 5 bucks and both support the site and help keep the bombcast together, i'll do it.     "
I hope a member of the staff sees this specific comment.
rtroock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By rtroock

If this is a cash grab, it is the worst cash grab in the history of the world.
Assume all the subscribers are yearly. $50.
Assume the cost of the T-shirts is negligible.
Assume they get 5000 subscribers.
 That's $250 000.
How many people work for Whiskey Media?
If it IS a cash grab, they will have paid a really shitty yearly salary to each employee, and lost any long-term possibilities, and ruined any possibility of a future writing for people like us.

After all the good will you have received from these people over the years - all the great content and coverage - how the fuck could you imply that this is a cash grab?
I don't care if you're a subscriber or not. I choose to subscribe because I have the money and feel like it is a worthwhile investment. Some people don't have the money, or don't think it is worth their money. All are valid choices.
But if you're going to sit there and claim that they are making a "cash grab" or "selling out" then you're just an asshole.

As for splitting up the podcast, I'm a subscriber that would prefer they didn't do this. The Bombcast is great and if I didn't have the money to subscribe I wouldn't want it split up either. However, podcasts are incredibly expensive in terms of both time and money. Almost nobody has figured out a way to make them worth-while.  Those who do either litter the podcast with adverts and commercials, or are a much smaller operation than WhiskeyMedia. They also don't have the freedom that makes the Bombcast so fucking enjoyable. 

So why did I subscribe? I like what it offers. HD video is great, the live show will be great, and I like the t-shirt. But mostly, I want to support a site that has provided me with so much over the past few years. 
I also trust everyone behind these sites to provide me with enough entertainment and coverage that I will feel my investment was worth-while.  I have total faith that I will not be fucked over. 
But mostly I subscribe knowing that they have provided me with plenty for free for a long fucking time, and I want them to keep providing free coverage to everyone, and I'm positive they will.

Bobbywich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Bobbywich

Well in the special podcast they mention that they don't get any money from doing the podcast and it's a lot of man hours spent on something that doesn't get any money.  However, I think they aren't looking at all the angles. I myself found out about the bombcast through the top vid game podcasts on itunes and listened to it for a while before ever going to the site. I think the podcast is the way many people start going to giantbomb, so I wouldn't say that it's a sinkhole in terms of cost. You  have to have something flashy in order to bring people coming to your website, and the bombcast is it.

CelShader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By CelShader

The Bombcast is one of the only podcasts that is worth paying for. Seeing how upset people are about this shows that it has value. So just put up a little money to keep it going, if you can afford it, and I know most of you can.

whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By whitesox
@Andryan said:
" If this is a cash grab, it is the worst cash grab in the history of the world. Assume all the subscribers are yearly. $50. Assume the cost of the T-shirts is negligible. Assume they get 5000 subscribers.  That's $250 000. How many people work for Whiskey Media? If it IS a cash grab, they will have paid a really shitty yearly salary to each employee, and lost any long-term possibilities, and ruined any possibility of a future writing for people like us.  After all the good will you have received from these people over the years - all the great content and coverage - how the fuck could you imply that this is a cash grab? I don't care if you're a subscriber or not. I choose to subscribe because I have the money and feel like it is a worthwhile investment. Some people don't have the money, or don't think it is worth their money. All are valid choices. But if you're going to sit there and claim that they are making a "cash grab" or "selling out" then you're just an asshole.  As for splitting up the podcast, I'm a subscriber that would prefer they didn't do this. The Bombcast is great and if I didn't have the money to subscribe I wouldn't want it split up either. However, podcasts are incredibly expensive in terms of both time and money. Almost nobody has figured out a way to make them worth-while.  Those who do either litter the podcast with adverts and commercials, or are a much smaller operation than WhiskeyMedia. They also don't have the freedom that makes the Bombcast so fucking enjoyable.   So why did I subscribe? I like what it offers. HD video is great, the live show will be great, and I like the t-shirt. But mostly, I want to support a site that has provided me with so much over the past few years.  I also trust everyone behind these sites to provide me with enough entertainment and coverage that I will feel my investment was worth-while.  I have total faith that I will not be fucked over.  But mostly I subscribe knowing that they have provided me with plenty for free for a long fucking time, and I want them to keep providing free coverage to everyone, and I'm positive they will. "
It's a cash grab because they are saying "Send us anywhere between 25,000 and 250,000 dollars, or we mutilate one of the most beloved features on the site."   They lied, and It's a dirty, shady, scummy move. If they do go through with this, I hope they pay for it in the long run. 
rtroock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By rtroock

You do realize that if they don't do this the Bombcast wouldn't be what you want it to be anyways?
If they went for ads, all the shenanigans are gone.
If they don't split it, they have to cut it down to an hour.  

Whitesox, tell me EXACTLY what you would have liked for them to do, and how it would have been feasible for them to stay afloat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Bobbywich said:
" Well in the special podcast they mention that they don't get any money from doing the podcast and it's a lot of man hours spent on something that doesn't get any money.
It's a lot of man hours spent on doing something that arguably drives more site traffic than anything else Whiskey has.  Trying to pretend like the Bombcast is a negative on Whiskey's content roster is Goddamn incredible.
whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By whitesox
@Andryan said:
" You do realize that if they don't do this the Bombcast wouldn't be what you want it to be anyways? If they went for ads, all the shenanigans are gone. If they don't split it, they have to cut it down to an hour.    Whitesox, tell me EXACTLY what you would have liked for them to do, and how it would have been feasible for them to stay afloat. "
First of all, I have no idea of their current financial situation.  If they are in that much trouble, then pissing off their user base isn't the way to solve it.

Is this plan really more feasible for them to stay afloat than not touching the bombcast?  How much money have they made by threatening the bombcast versus how much money they have lost?

"If they went for ads, all the shenanigans are gone.  If they don't split it, they have to cut it down to an hour."  Where did they say this?  I have heard nothing about them coming out and saying they are in financial trouble, and the bombcast needs to be shortened.  Besides, this plan doesn't help at all in that regard.  There are still two hours of podcast up every Tuesday.  This saves them nothing, just tries to get them more money.  It's despicable.

What would I have liked?  Them to follow through with their promises.  Not to change anything for non members, and to only add features for members.  That is what I would have liked.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#122  Edited By nickux

Yeah in hindsight I really regret making this topic. I had meant it as a way to quell people's anger, showing how they can relax because enough people will subscribe and nothing will change. But instead it just turned into a giant bitch-fest. I realize people are upset, I'm not happy about it either, but the more I think about it, the more I realize these guys have given me so much of their time for nothing. I don't know them personally but I feel like most of us here know them through some kind of podcast osmosis well-enough to know they aren't cold hearted people obsessed with money. I think they could have announced the Bombcast issue a little better but if it's a choice between split podcasts, paying for the podcast, or no podcast, I am always going to go for either of the first two. The Bombcast alone was enough for me to subscribe- I'd made up my mind way before they announced the splitting issue. I just want to give back because sweet jesus god damn they put a lot of work into making that show. 

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Mrnitropb
@Brodehouse said:
" @Bobbywich said:
" Well in the special podcast they mention that they don't get any money from doing the podcast and it's a lot of man hours spent on something that doesn't get any money.
It's a lot of man hours spent on doing something that arguably drives more site traffic than anything else Whiskey has.  Trying to pretend like the Bombcast is a negative on Whiskey's content roster is Goddamn incredible. "
And they are still spending said man hours, and we are still getting it for free, sooooooo, where are the saving at?
DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By DewRequired
@Andryan said:
" You do realize that if they don't do this the Bombcast wouldn't be what you want it to be anyways? If they went for ads, all the shenanigans are gone. If they don't split it, they have to cut it down to an hour.    Whitesox, tell me EXACTLY what you would have liked for them to do, and how it would have been feasible for them to stay afloat. "
^^ Here here. I'm not subscribing because I can't afford it, but the sense of "entitlement" to a free bombcast that has been shown since the news broke has been absolutely ridiculous. They've built an amazing website and given us tons of free content over the last two years, most notably the Bombcast, and it's all come at no expense to us. If they can't afford to do that anymore without being funded, then pay up or shut up and be grateful for what they've already given us.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#125  Edited By nickux
@DewRequired: Yeah, I mean I think it's perfectly fine for people to be upset or even a little hurt. I know I actually felt pretty bummed to hear they'd do that to the fans but some of the people on here talking all these crazy conspiracy theories and saying they're all sell-outs- shit is messed up. 
pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#126  Edited By pbhawks45
@DewRequired said:
" @Andryan said:
^^ Here here. I'm not subscribing because I can't afford it, but the sense of "entitlement" to a free bombcast that has been shown since the news broke has been absolutely ridiculous. They've built an amazing website and given us tons of free content over the last two years, most notably the Bombcast, and it's all come at no expense to us. If they can't afford to do that anymore without being funded, then pay up or shut up and be grateful for what they've already given us. "
Literally every other website does not charge money for a podcast. You can't charge for them on iTunes. And Apple monetizes everything. Your argument falls flat.
Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Nephrahim
@nickux said:
" @DewRequired: Yeah, I mean I think it's perfectly fine for people to be upset or even a little hurt. I know I actually felt pretty bummed to hear they'd do that to the fans but some of the people on here talking all these crazy conspiracy theories and saying they're all sell-outs- shit is messed up.  "
It's the internet.  People think a radio station in Russia beeping means that a secret nuke is going to be set off and start world war 3. 

Just laugh.  It's either that or cry.
rtroock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By rtroock
@whitesox said:
" @Andryan said:
First of all, I have no idea of their current financial situation.  If they are in that much trouble, then pissing off their user base isn't the way to solve it.

Is this plan really more feasible for them to stay afloat than not touching the bombcast?  How much money have they made by threatening the bombcast versus how much money they have lost?

"If they went for ads, all the shenanigans are gone.  If they don't split it, they have to cut it down to an hour."  Where did they say this?  I have heard nothing about them coming out and saying they are in financial trouble, and the bombcast needs to be shortened.  Besides, this plan doesn't help at all in that regard.  There are still two hours of podcast up every Tuesday.  This saves them nothing, just tries to get them more money.  It's despicable.

What would I have liked?  Them to follow through with their promises.  Not to change anything for non members, and to only add features for members.  That is what I would have liked. "
Their financial situation is this: they were backed by capital in such a way that they didn't have to smother us with ads, therefore only being beholden to us, the viewer.  This is basically a no-income way to run a website. 

I agree with you on this. My issue is with people calling them sell-outs and saying this is a cash-grab. How can you turn so quickly on a group that has treated you so well?

If you listen to the special Bombcast they put out, they clearly talk about the podcast situation and explain it in extreme detail.  The Bombcast is two hours because the Giant Bomb staff were able to get away with it.

This is the biggest issue I have.  Lots of people fall back saying that they were promised that nothing would be changed.  That is not true. Dave clearly stated that the majority of things would not be changed.  
I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it is the reality of the situation.  

If you feel like this is a cash-grab, ransom from a bunch of no-good liars, then I don't know why you are still here. The people you are saying this about are the same guys who make the Bombcast, the websites, and all the content we love. If they really are scumbags, then why do you want to hear what they think about anything?

I just don't understand the hostility and the instant hatred of these people who have given us so much with almost nothing in return.
rtroock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By rtroock
@pbhawks45 said:
" @DewRequired said:
" @Andryan said:
^^ Here here. I'm not subscribing because I can't afford it, but the sense of "entitlement" to a free bombcast that has been shown since the news broke has been absolutely ridiculous. They've built an amazing website and given us tons of free content over the last two years, most notably the Bombcast, and it's all come at no expense to us. If they can't afford to do that anymore without being funded, then pay up or shut up and be grateful for what they've already given us. "
Literally every other website does not charge money for a podcast. You can't charge for them on iTunes. And Apple monetizes everything. Your argument falls flat. "
And literally none of those websites are run like GiantBomb.  You CAN charge for podcasts, they go under audiobooks, just ask Rickey Gervais.

The whole point of all of this is to stay away from advertisers who would make them change the way they do things.
TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By TehJames
@Jothel said:

" Just pay for a month, support the website you fucks, seriously how people can be complaining about this is just bollocks "

The contented offered is not worth 50 bucks/year,5 bucks/month. You fucker.
Avatar image for creativecolossi
CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By CreativeColossi
@Andryan: I have no problem with ads or anything, but splitting the Bombcast is the biggest lightning rod they could have given to people who don't want to pay. Hell, I was going to subscribe but I won't, because I have no interest in higher def video or live shows, nor do I particularly like the ransom of "5k subscribers gets everyone a free Bombcast." I like these guys, but give me new features I want and I'll pay, cut the ones I had for free and put them behind a pay wall? I'm out.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#132  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" Wait what, the podcasts are only for members now? "
They are breaking it into two segments. One for everyone and one for the members. The second part will be available to non-paying members a week later. "
says who ?
whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By whitesox
@Andryan said:
" @whitesox said:
" @Andryan said:

What would I have liked?  Them to follow through with their promises.  Not to change anything for non members, and to only add features for members.  That is what I would have liked. "
Their financial situation is this: they were backed by capital in such a way that they didn't have to smother us with ads, therefore only being beholden to us, the viewer.  This is basically a no-income way to run a website.   I agree with you on this. My issue is with people calling them sell-outs and saying this is a cash-grab. How can you turn so quickly on a group that has treated you so well?  If you listen to the special Bombcast they put out, they clearly talk about the podcast situation and explain it in extreme detail.  The Bombcast is two hours because the Giant Bomb staff were able to get away with it.  This is the biggest issue I have.  Lots of people fall back saying that they were promised that nothing would be changed.  That is not true. Dave clearly stated that the majority of things would not be changed.   I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it is the reality of the situation.    If you feel like this is a cash-grab, ransom from a bunch of no-good liars, then I don't know why you are still here. The people you are saying this about are the same guys who make the Bombcast, the websites, and all the content we love. If they really are scumbags, then why do you want to hear what they think about anything?  I just don't understand the hostility and the instant hatred of these people who have given us so much with almost nothing in return. "
Ok, and then Ryan and Jeff went on and said that they wanted to make the site better for subscribers, not worse for non subscribers.  Have they done that? Hell no. This is why I feel lied too.  This is why I feel insulted, and why I am pissed at the GB staff.  If they change the bombcast, you can bet your ass I'm gone.  And I can only hope it catches up to them later, as it seems an unwise business decision.

I have lost a ton of respect for them.  I turned off the BLLSL yesterday in disgust, it was like watching PBS, with a little Whiskey Media flair interjected.  Just shameful.  I sure hope their financial situation isn't as bad as it would seem considering they were basically begging people to subscribe, and have decided to go after one of their biggest assets.  Any idea how many people come to this site because they heard the bombcast? I'd be willing to bet it is a masssive number.

Bottom line, this decision is fucked up, and I can only hope they change it.
DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By DewRequired
@pbhawks45 said:
" @DewRequired said:
" @Andryan said:
Literally every other website does not charge money for a podcast. You can't charge for them on iTunes. And Apple monetizes everything. Your argument falls flat. "
"Literally every other site" is not run the way Giant Bomb is run. Would you rather have corporate sponsors pay for Giant Bomb and then have their games pimped all over the site? Or would you rather pay for it yourself and keep Giant Bomb the way it is now? The only way the Giant Bomb that we love works is if game developers and publishers are NOT footing the bill, which means the users have to. I have no idea how they made any money in the past, but without a large quantity of sponsors it had to run out at some point. This is the only way to keep the content and it's quality the same.

And that wasn't even my damn point. They are not obligated to give you free content. You aren't entitled to receive free content. It isn't your "right" to listen to the bombcast, it's a privilege. BECAUSE YOU GET IT FOR FREE. And if they want/have to take that away, then it's perfectly within their right to do that. So subscribe, or quit complaining and be grateful for your free content. That's the bottom line.
Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Jared
The Bombcast should be free for everyone, GB better watch it with this or they may start losing subscribers.
CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By CreativeColossi
@DewRequired: So basically it's cool to put what were once free (offered for free by most sites as well) features behind a pay wall? You mean exactly what they said they didn't want to do? 

Brilliant.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xSeanZx said:
"Where is your subscription, oh valiant one?  "
@DewRequired said:
"^^ Here here. I'm not subscribing because I can't afford it, but the sense... "
He explained, read his post better next time. 

I agree with DewRequired, the internet (and more specifically the gaming "community") seems to feel entitled to more than they deserve. Not everything is free, get over it.
mrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By mrburns

I get plenty enjoyment out of the podcast and the site to justify the $50.  It is definitely worth more to me that the random 7-10 hour video game nowadays.    

DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By DewRequired
@CreativeColossi said:
" @DewRequired: So basically it's cool to put what were once free (offered for free by most sites as well) features behind a pay wall? You mean exactly what they said they didn't want to do? Brilliant. "
Yes it is. And if you don't like it, then voice your concerns, and get out. It's really that simple.
donaldkhogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By donaldkhogan

Guys, 

You might be forgetting the 'multi' in 'multipass' here.  I signed up for ALL the content on all the sites.  I happen to love movies, anime and gadgets as well as video games.  Tested and GB are my faves, but i've gotten turned on to a lot of great stuff from Anime Vice and Screened.  Try to think of this like NPR.  Honest reporting can ONLY be funded by members in America.  Otherwise you end up with stupid shit like on other sites *ahem* GAMESPOT *ahem* that are owned by mega corps.  Now if I find out that Whiskey is owned by Pepsi...i might bust up outta here.  

Oh and another thing, try to keep in mind that a community service that is funded by members, usually LISTENS to its members.  So please consider that when thinking about signing up.  This is more of a partnership than it is a money grabbing scheme.  These dudes bust tail, and they treat us right as best they can, so jump on board.  

cdparrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By cdparrish

Hey maybe if it hits 5k and they make the bombcast whole once more they would have to add another perk to subscribers, like another shirt that is giant bomb exclusive. That would be supa gangsta.

CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By CreativeColossi
@DewRequired: It's a stupid incentive to put behind a pay wall. I'm fine with absolutely everything else they do, monetizing all the new features they implement, but splitting the Bombcast is a lightning rod and they should have seen this coming. It's just poor.
whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By whitesox
@CreativeColossi said:
" @DewRequired: It's a stupid incentive to put behind a pay wall. I'm fine with absolutely everything else they do, monetizing all the new features they implement, but splitting the Bombcast is a lightning rod and they should have seen this coming. It's just poor. "
Exactly.  They're doing exactly what they said they wouldn't do.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ThePickle

They clearly just don't want to admit that it was a horrible idea, so they did this stupid stunt to try to squeeze out more memberships before they give it back to everyone, like it's some sort of victory. 

rtroock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By rtroock
@CreativeColossi said:
" @Andryan: I have no problem with ads or anything, but splitting the Bombcast is the biggest lightning rod they could have given to people who don't want to pay. Hell, I was going to subscribe but I won't, because I have no interest in higher def video or live shows, nor do I particularly like the ransom of "5k subscribers gets everyone a free Bombcast." I like these guys, but give me new features I want and I'll pay, cut the ones I had for free and put them behind a pay wall? I'm out. "
Ads as something you see posted on a site are fine by me as well, it is the baggage they bring with them that sucks.   Having the person who is paying you control what you can and can't do sucks, and would suck for us fans.
You not wanting to subscribe because they aren't offering you anything that you feel is worthy, is a good enough reason not to pay.  
Brad Shoemaker also posted on twitter that the friday live show is just one of the new things they will be doing for the site, so I have full faith that I will get my moneys worth.  Hell, even if I don't I've spent it on far worse things than keeping ads off of Giant Bomb, and hopefully keeping the Bombcast timely for everyone.

DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By DewRequired
@CreativeColossi said:
" @DewRequired: It's a stupid incentive to put behind a pay wall. I'm fine with absolutely everything else they do, monetizing all the new features they implement, but splitting the Bombcast is a lightning rod and they should have seen this coming. It's just poor. "
I agree that splitting up the Bombcast is a bad idea, and I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but that doesn't change the fact that they're giving it to me for free and they are entitled to never make another bombcast ever again if that's what they wanted.

That's what people are missing. It's not our "right" to have a bombcast every tuesday to listen to. They give that to us because they love doing it and we love listening. If they can't afford to do that anymore, then it is what it is. Pay for it, or don't pay for it. But don't get all defensive and "entitled" as if they're taking away something that you deserve.

PS - It's not gonna get split up. Just throwing that out there. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I really doubt it.
rtroock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By rtroock
@HandsomeDevil said:
" They clearly just don't want to admit that it was a horrible idea, so they did this stupid stunt to try to squeeze out more memberships before they give it back to everyone, like it's some sort of victory.  "
And all that extra money will go to buying them new mattresses.
CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By CreativeColossi
@Andryan: The sad thing is I like the Giant Bomb guys, but I'm not about to pay for something that doesn't really help me just out of charity, especially as a student, and especially not as a response to some "5k or bust" ransom rationalization for splitting something I can get literally everywhere else for free as a really poorly thought out incentive to wrangle in a few more monthly subscribers.
Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Jothel
@TehJames said:
" @Jothel said:

" Just pay for a month, support the website you fucks, seriously how people can be complaining about this is just bollocks "

The contented offered is not worth 50 bucks/year,5 bucks/month. You fucker. "
 No but paying for one month then cancelling it is beyond worth the hundreds of hours of entertainment theyve put on. show your support, pay five dollars, get the bombcast = done but it's because of people like you that this hasn''t happened. enjoy your two part bombcast
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Pinworm45
@Jothel said:
" @TehJames said:
" @Jothel said:

The contented offered is not worth 50 bucks/year,5 bucks/month. You fucker. "
 No but paying for one month then cancelling it is beyond worth the hundreds of hours of entertainment theyve put on. show your support, pay five dollars, get the bombcast = done but it's because of people like you that this hasn''t happened. enjoy your two part bombcast "
I didn't do it when I was going to pay 50$ because I refuse to give money to people who would lie to me, then hold their community hostage. It was pathetic, and I voted with my wallet. 

Then I turned on my Adblocker.