If a game is prohibitively expensive, is it ok to emulate?

• 100 results
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

First off I checked the faq to see if this topic is against the rules but it wasn't clear if its ok to discuss piracy vs how to pirate. Obviously I know you can't talk about how to pirate stuff because thats bad. I just want to discuss the moral aspect. 
I like to think I have pretty high moral standards when it comes to this kind of stuff, aka I don't pirate stuff. But some times it seems like you have no other option. For example, I love the show "Top Gear" but its a british show and the only way I can see it here in america around the time it airs in the UK is if I download it. Now I would gladly pay the BBC for the privilege but they would rather make me wait a year or more to see a butchered version of the content on BBCAmerica.  

Anyway, I really want to play Suikoden 2 but yo, that game sells for more than $100. If it were on PSN for $10 I would gladly pay for it. And its not like that 100+ bucks is going to the devs of the game, its going to some dude on ebay. So whats the point? 

So do I pay the $100+ or just never experience the game? Or the other option?
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

I'm going to say it's not okay.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

The only scenario when its ok to pirate.

You've already owned the game but lost it (or gave it to a cousin in which case its pretty much the same)

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Why even make this thread? 

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Devil240Z
@ShaunassNZ: Curiosity? I wanted to know what the community thought. 
MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MideonNViscera

Go for it. It's like voting. You can't make a difference anyway.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Azteck

I don't see an issue with it. 100$ for a game is way too much.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Is it ok to download the bluray version of something if you own the dvd version?

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By time allen

piracy is STEALING if you STEAL a game you are STEALING a car

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Toms115 said:
piracy is STEALING if you STEAL a game you are STEALING a car
And babies
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Tylea002

This reminds me of something.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AyKay_47
@MideonNViscera said:
Go for it. It's like voting. You can't make a difference anyway.
QFT
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Out of print? Whatever.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Icemael

Emulate if you want to emulate. Don't emulate if you don't want to emulate. It's as simple as that.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MisterChief
@Icemael said:
Emulate if you want to emulate. Don't emulate if you don't want to emulate. It's as simple as that.
I agree. I'm sick of people asking a bunch of strangers on the internet if something is morally justifiable.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Hizang

Its not legal, but I see why people do it.
papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By papuccino1

If the game is no longer purchasable, why not? Is it any different from emulating a game from DOS from way back in the game?

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By awe_stuck

i can see why people pirate in poor countries, or if say that country makes games prohibitively expensive. lots of ways to play games you want to without emulating, or pirating it. its really up to you. morally we know its wrong, because morally stealing is you know wrong. doesnt mean you cant do it. overall, morals are only useful in a certain sense not in the sense you might imagine or believe in :p

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Animasta

emulate it now, but buy it if it ever does come on PSN or something.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By crusader8463

Buying a game used or pirating it is exactly the same thing as far as the developers are concerned, since in both instances they get sweet fuck all. One way you get to keep your money, the other you don't. If there was some way to buy it and support the people that made it, then obviously do that first, but since you can't do that any more it's silly to waste that kind of money unless you want the thing sitting on your shelf.

You obviously already made up your mind of what you want to do, and now you're just looking for people to justify your decision for you. If you want people to tell you that you will be an evil piece of shit that will burn in hell for all eternity for having the audacity to emulate a game that you can't really get by any sane means then you already got it. If you want the opposite then you got that too. Just do what you already decided you wanted to do.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

If a game hasn't been re-released and the only way to obtain it is by paying laughably inflated eBay prices, then I don't think there's much of a problem..  Buying it on eBay isn't supporting the developers anyway.  There are a lot of games that badly need re-released and just don't run on modern systems.. Monkey Island 3 is a great example.

TV shows from other countries fall into this category too, there's a few I'd love to be able to watch but just can't.  It's not like they lose ratings/viewers if you watch them by other means.
ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ImpendingFoil

It isn't legal but somehow I find it to be morally ok.

However, piracy can easily turn into a slippery slope.  You might have good intentions going in but a lot of people start to download new and current product because they can eventually justify that as well.  So go for it, but just keep it at long out of print PS1 games that would cost you over $100 used.  Also, if the game becomes available in the future just buy it regardless if you are still playing your emulated copy or not.  That way you can get the developers what they deserved for your entertainment.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Andorski

Nope.  Just because it exist doesn't mean you have the right to own it.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By 1337W422102

Do what you want, fuck the haters.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By IBurningStar

The publisher isn't going to get the money either way you go. You will either pay someone a silly inflated price or you will get it for free. Just emulate it.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By armaan8014
@crusader8463: Devs don't get much of the money?
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By Little_Socrates
ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ImpendingFoil
@armaan8014

Not for a copy of Suikoden II.  That game has probably been out of print for ten years.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crusader8463
@armaan8014 said:
Not when you buy something off e-bay.
theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By theguy

Legally no. Morally? Deciding if something is moral isn't something I need to think about, I assume you've already decided and are looking for people to agree with you. Do what you want it's your conscience.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stubbleman

Here's a thought. You obviously feel bad about doing it, which I find pretty dumb personally, but if you really do feel bad about taking something without paying for it then don't use Ebay. Many developers sell extraneous crap on their websites like t-shirts and stuff. Download the game and buy a shirt or something. That way your conscious and your wallet are sitting pretty and Konami or whoever gets a cut out of it. Ironically enough, it doesn't look like Konami sells anything on their website other than games, but you get the idea.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By armaan8014
@crusader8463 said:
@armaan8014 said:
ahhh ok. I didn't know you meant that
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

You need to go with your gut.  If you feel it's okay, then do it.  If not, then don't.  If you don't feel it's okay but want to do it anyway, then do it and feel bad about it.  None of us have to live with your conscious so it doesn't matter what we think and our opinions won't make it any more right or wrong.  It's all on you.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By crusader8463
@armaan8014 said:
@crusader8463 said:
@armaan8014 said:
ahhh ok. I didn't know you meant that
If you buy it off e-bay or used at an EB Games the developers don't see a penny of it. So if your justification for not pirating/emulating it is that the developers don't see any of the money and that's the only way to get the game any more, then you unless you want the game to sit on your shelf you might as well save your money and just emulate it.
SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SomeJerk

The second hand value does not go down with these more collectible games. Buying Suikoden 2 off eBay is an investment that will be returned upon 1:1 or better unless a PSN release appears, which is unlikely because it's probably too 2D for SCEAs taste.

It's also a hella fine game.

Save up. You'll feel better about it with the real physical deal.

/former "shit where did my paycheck go?" collector

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By positrark

If the creator doesn't have a viable way to purchase the game, I say emulate. It's not stealing in my mind if the product is something the manufacturer isn't interested in selling. This isn't like stealing a car, it's more like picking up an outdated electronics article from the junk yard. Stealing implies that the product is available for sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Reasons justifying it:

1. The developers aren't gaining or losing money in the secondhand market.
  2. I get to play great games for free
Reasons against it:
  1. Piracy is illegal in almost every country due to international copyright law.
  2. Stealing is wrong, if you like a game pay for it. Even if it is secondhand.
If you want a game developer's perspective on it, here it is.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#38  Edited By Grumbel
@Devil240Z said:

I like to think I have pretty high moral standards when it comes to this kind of stuff, aka I don't pirate stuff. 

It is funny how you start with "I don't pirate stuff" and then your second sentence basically is "I pirate Top Gear". I guess that's the kind of double think you get when you listen to to much "I piracy is killing games/movies/music" propaganda.

Simple truth is: Many pirates are in exactly the same boat as you, they pirate some things, they buy some other things, sometimes they even pirate and buy the same things. Piracy is simply a form of copying, it is a tool that is not inherently evil by itself. Use it where you see it fit and give money to the developers you want to support (buy a sequel when the game is out of print or whatever), it's as simple as that.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Belonpopo

no.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By agentboolen

I'm going to say YES, just keep your mouth shut about it. The publisher/developer don't get your money if you buy it used anyway, so who cares at this point.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mackgyver

In my opinion, emulation has nothing to do with how expensive a game is. It depends on how much a person is willing to pay for it, based on how much they like it.

NDart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NDart

It falls into a moral grey area. There will always be people who insist that it's 'theft' (a completely inaccurate term) and, of course, there will always be people telling you to go right ahead and download as much as you can.

Honestly you just need to weigh up each individual situation and decide for yourself the appropriate course of action. If a piece of software has been officially discontinued and is no longer supported by the developers it's reached the point where you're really just waiting for the copyright to expire before you can legally share it.

If you want my opinion I wouldn't be averse to emulating it, though I would definitely purchase the game if it were to become available via PSN or another distribution service in the future.

BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By BrockSampson

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2653-Piracy

Best way I have ever seen piracy explained.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Getz

since your 100 dollars doesn't go to the people who made the game, then I'm inclined to say piracy is less wrong in this case. It's still illegal and you could face the consequences of that down the road, but I don't have any moral objections to stealing 100 dollars from collectors charging exorbitant prices for software.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Brendan

If it's not purchasable on the B2C market then I say it's ok.  

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46  Edited By JasonR86
@Devil240Z:

No.  If you want something and it is to expensive you should wait like the rest of us until you can afford it.  The fact that you can't afford it might be emblematic of bigger problems that need to be addressed.  Ultimately, no one needs to play any game.  Therefore, it is not necessary to break the law play that game.  Wait until it makes sense to buy the game.

Plus, if you emulate a game you take money out of the pockets of publishers who decide if the developer of that game gets to make more games.  Not buying the game tells the publisher this developer shouldn't either continue the franchise of the game in question or keep publishing the games of that developer.  The games those feel they need to play and, therefore, emulate will cease to exist at least from that developer.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By toowalrus

What's the rationale people use to say that it's wrong to emulate out-of-print games? No matter where you buy a game used, the publishers/developers are never going to see a cent of that money- it should be an incentive to make all old games available on digital services for reasonable prices.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By LegalBagel

No.  The fact that you say you would buy it for $10 on PSN tells you exactly why it's not OK to emulate, even if it's old or rare.  It still has value and the people who own it could rerelease it if they want.

Prior to Virtual Console, XBLA, PSN, Steam etc., there was at least some justification for emulating games that you could otherwise never play or purchase, but now the games you emulate could easily come out on some service.  Online sales, importation, updated versions of old games and rereleases are ubiquitous.
NDart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NDart
@Deathpooky said:
No.  The fact that you say you would buy it for $10 on PSN tells you exactly why it's not OK to emulate, even if it's old or rare.  It still has value and the people who own it could rerelease it if they want.

Prior to Virtual Console, XBLA, PSN, Steam etc., there was at least some justification for emulating games that you could otherwise never play or purchase, but now the games you emulate could easily come out on some service.  Online sales, importation, updated versions of old games and rereleases are ubiquitous.
So you say no because there's a minute chance that it might be available at some unknown point in the future?