Edited 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: If Disney bought Nintendo, would you... (220 votes)

...cheer? 5%
...cry? 21%
...laugh? 11%
...shrug? 50%
...*other*? 13%

Disney and Nintendo sounds like a match made in heaven. Both companies handle their heritage in a very similar fashion. It's almost like looking at soulmates. If Nintendo's current troubles persist, it's not unthinkable that such a thing as Disney buying Nintendo could happen. Nintendoland everybody!

Humor me. What would your reaction be to this hypothetical event?

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Poll inspired by lasertimepodcast.com. Your other source for podcast hilarity on the interwebs.

I think I'd cheer. Nintendo doesn't really capture my interest anymore these days, but I've plenty fond memories - especially of the SNES era, when they ruled the world. I'd love to see what Disney and Nintendo would come up with together. Poised for world domination.

#2 Edited by Pie (7099 posts) -

Shrug because what do I care but Disney are getting a little too big for their boots.

#3 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

All nintendo is now, is just milking those franchises they've had for decades. I have no real interest in zelda or mario, so yeah.... I wouldn't really care, maybe disney could do something cool with it.

Also, fuck yoshi's island. Stupid annoying baby mario.

#4 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

Nintendo will never sell to someone.

It'd be cool to have Disney backing Nintendo, and seeing Nintendo in Disney Parks and Disney/Pixar Nintendo films (and they can finally make my Nintendo version of Kingdom Hearts!), but the video game part of Nintendo would suffer, and they'd probably go third party with Disney calling the shots.

#6 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@jay_ray: 'Mushroom Kingdom Hearts' so simple yet so great!

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11020 posts) -

Nintendo will crash itself into the ground, douse the remaining bits in gasoline, light that on fire, and then set off some dynamite before it sells to another company.

#8 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

You wanna play this dumb game? Microsoft's buying Nintendo. Put March of the Minis on Windows Phone. What?

This is a dumb game to play.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
You mean they haven't already?

#10 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

If Disney had not shut down SW I would be excited by the prospect. Since they bought Marvel i've been getting my superhero fix. Its only now that I have doubts.

#11 Posted by Zlimness (555 posts) -

Why wouldn't Nintendo sell to another company? It's a company. Companies can be bought and sold.

#12 Edited by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Given that Disney seems pretty clueless when it comes to video games, I feel that "cry" is the only appropriate option.

#13 Posted by oraknabo (1464 posts) -

I doubt they'd screw it up too badly. Overall they seem to know the value of maintaining an IP's identity.

I cared a lot about the Muppets as a kid and they haven't done much to ruin them.

They've done some dumb stuff with Star Wars like putting R2D2 on Disney Channel shows, but it's nothing compared to the shit Lucas put on TV to market the movies or what he did in the last 3 movies.

I don't keep up with Marvel Comics, but it doesn't seem like they've done anything damaging there.

#14 Posted by oraknabo (1464 posts) -

Please add this option:

...hope they build a Yoshi's Island ride at Disney World so Patrick can make Jeff go on it.

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3553 posts) -

I just looked at the stock information for Disney, they are doing well, I never would have guessed.

It also looks like that Giantbomb gamble CBS made is paying off big time, they are up 40% since last year.

#16 Edited by CooVee (148 posts) -

I would be shocked. Not that I wouldn't put it past Disney as they have been grabbing up some pretty big franchises the last few years

#17 Edited by Raven10 (1790 posts) -

I'm just going to say it will never happen. The last two companies Disney bought with gaming divisions (UTV and Lucasfilm) had their gaming divisions shut down within months of the purchase. They also shuttered pretty much all of their internal development studios over the past three or four years. Disney had made a major effort to exit the game industry and I don't see any reason for them to get back in it.

#18 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

I would genuinely be shocked if that happened (no poll option for shocked). It would take a hell of a lot of money to buy out Nintendo and given Disney's recent video game woes I figured they wouldn't want to go all in like this.

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

I wouldn't care.

#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

I wouldn't care.

I'm with him. Neither Disney or Nintendo have brought anything I care about to the table in a few years.

#21 Edited by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

I would definitely "other".

#22 Posted by Slag (4380 posts) -

depends on what their plans for Nintendo would be

#23 Posted by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

Cry, just wouldn't want to see Nintendo in their dirty dirty hands

#24 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

To me they both seem like companies out of touch with what made them good in the first place so maybe they can go off and be disappointing together.

#25 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

Somewhere between cheer and shrug. They are very similar. It would be an interesting move.

#26 Edited by PenguinDust (12517 posts) -

Shrug. I can't see why they would want to buy Nintendo. They have their own stock of well known and lucrative characters. What would they have to gain?

#27 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

I would fart

#28 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I've never really given a toss about Nintendo, don't see how that would change it.

#29 Posted by believer258 (11909 posts) -

The chances of us getting Nintendo games on Steam, or at least more preferable consoles, might go up just a tiny little bit.

#30 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

Nintendo + Disney + Marvel + Star Wars = Greatest Super Smash Bros. game ever.

#31 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Don't really care.

#32 Edited by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Super Mickey Bros.

#33 Edited by Hailinel (24799 posts) -

This is such a ludicrously unrealistic scenario that I have no feeling for it.

#34 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@hailinel said:

This is such a ludicrously unrealistic scenario that I have no feeling for it.

Not at all really, if they can buy Star Wars and Marvel they can buy Nintendo, when games sales are making more than hollywood blockbusters you could easily see Disney wanting to get on that gravy train.But that would involve Nintendo's shares dropping, and if that happened I would put my money on Sony acquiring the Nintendo IP's before Disney.

#35 Edited by Aaron_G (1615 posts) -

Disney has been making a lot of purchases lately, and I could see them wanting to add the Nintendo characters to their library and be able to utilize them for media purposes. However, I don't think Disney wants to have a hardware/software specific division, hence them shutting down LucasArts.

#36 Edited by probablytuna (3664 posts) -

Then a month later Disney shuts down Nintendo and begin licensing their IPs to other developers to make new Mario and Zelda games.

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (14834 posts) -

Would not care.

#38 Edited by oraknabo (1464 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

Then a month later Disney shuts down Nintendo and begin licensing their IPs to other developers to make new Mario and Zelda games.

This would not necessarily be a bad thing.

#39 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Shrug. I can't see why they would want to buy Nintendo. They have their own stock of well known and lucrative characters. What would they have to gain?

The male youth demographics, the ones they've been chasing with the Marvel and LucasFilm purchases, the Disney XD channel and their abortive forays into videogames.

They could make a better acquisition than Nintendo though, way too much baggage there.

#40 Posted by Beyond_the_infinite (102 posts) -

They would be wasting their money.

#41 Edited by GIyn (202 posts) -

Apple will buy Nintendo. And begin a new domination in handheld gaming.

#42 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Shrug because I dont care about Disney or Nintendo at this point.

#43 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4677 posts) -

Maybe they could make one another stronger. Down side would be people always asking for a big Nintendo/Disney crossover game. Actually, that would be rad.

#44 Posted by Kidable (127 posts) -

Disney always just seems like that company that has billions, but doesn't really do anything notable itself. Well, I guess until the Star Wars movies start coming out. Like, what's Disney really known for now? Licensing to other companies....? It's just this really gigantic umbrella corporation taking everyone in. Pixar movies have been in decline ever since they were bought in my opinion. It would just be confusing to me.

#45 Edited by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

Disney doesn't seem to have any interest in making games. If they did then I think it would be a good fit, but I don't want to see it happen. Disney doesn't seem to have a lot of vision. I think a lot of the stuff they create comes out like safe gray muck (speaking purely in a modern context), and I wouldn't want to see that happen to Nintendo.

#46 Edited by jgf (392 posts) -

Does Disney even have enough money? Shouldn't it be the other way round? However I wouldn't care about both options.

#47 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

Depends what would happen to Nintendo's development studios and 2nd parties. But in general I think Disney would be worse at making Nintendo's back-catalogue available (and would likely try much harder to stop fan creations and archives - say what you want about Nintendo, but they are fantastic at letting fans do what they want with their IPs as long as they don't try to make a large profit - same thing as Lucas Films was with Star Wars. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see how Disney handles Fans and the Star Wars IP to see if they would be OK with Nintendo's).

#48 Edited by MocBucket62 (1229 posts) -

I'd kinda laugh if this news was real. I'd find it funny that the video game company that has tried so hard to be the Walt Disney of Video Games for years was bought by Disney itself. At least Disney Infinity would become a much needed exclusive for the Wii U, right? Either that or Disney would force Nintendo to become a third party company.