If done right, would you play as a Nazi/Terrorist ?

• 96 results
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Sure.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#52  Edited By citizenkane

Yes, I would.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Hamst3r

Yes, even without the subject matter being "done right". Just let me play as a terrorist or Nazi.
funkyblam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By funkyblam

it'd be pretty cool if you could play as a nazi who kills other nazis kinda like hugo stiglitz

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By CharleyTony

red faction guerilla should count as a game where you are technically a terrorist. But in that setting people tend to forget about it, thinking that your character is simply a freedom fighter. The thing is, do you think an actual terrorist is being evil ? To him, his actions are justified and his enemy is the evil one.  

As far as Nazis, I dont think a big company would have the balls to make you play in their camp in an actual campaign. Having their suits on in a multiplayer does happen but that is it. When Call of Duty goes out of its way to change things up, you end up playing an American and then a Russian. 
So some day, or maybe it has already been done and I haven't heard about it, some game company will make a game where you are an actual Nazi / German soldier in WW2, but then will have you go out to stop the Third Reich. That is a good thing (since Hitler is a pretty bad guy), but you will never be playing that kind of character in a story where your goal is either conquering "Europe / the World" and / or rounding up minorities (including Jewish people) to send them to concentration camps. 

Some films may have gotten away with it (I think) but games are not in a state of artistic appreciation that would warrant that kind of design decision and make it acceptable to mass market that game. 

When you think about it, a lot of German soldiers during WW2 were just fighting for their country either not knowing or not caring what would happen to their prisonners.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By Branthog

Been doing it for about a decade. It's called Counter-Strike.

TERRORISTS WIN!

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Demyx

Not anything that has already happened would be alright. But yes, I think if a game would be able to do something like this it would be very interesting.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By Video_Game_King

Where's the "some Call of Duty game probably did at least one, if not both of these" option? I wouldn't click it, but I'd still like it there. MW2 did it right, sort of, so yes. Sort of.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By pause422

Yes, either, easily, because its just a game, and doing something that majorly isn't done would be more interesting than just the same role everytime.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Black_Raven

Yes, and I would thoroughly enjoy it, I have no problem playing as a nazi or terrorist, it just a game after all. In ArmA 2 it's fun to full a small village with civilians and sneak up on them at night with a group of rebels and slaughter them all, I don't feel like a bad person after doing that.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#61  Edited By natetodamax

I wouldn't want to play as a Nazi because WWII has been oversaturated in games. But a terrorist? Sure.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nazi yeah, terrorist is kinda vague 

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By ImperiousRix

Well, technically in a lot of games you play as a "terrorist"(Red Faction: Guerrilla, The Saboteur, etc.), so that's not really an issue.

I suppose if the game did things right, it'd be pretty intriguing.  I don't think it'll ever happen, but I wouldn't be opposed.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By beforet

Yes to both. It's just a game, after all.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

The poll is very scary.  And even worse I voted NAZI.  o_0  We need some more things letting you view the opposite side.  To much through the US soldiers eyes or the Jewish people eyes.  Maybe not make it positive in there perspective but they truly believe what they are doing is right and I wouldn't mind seeing that.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By r0k1ll

Nazis are a bit to sensitive, and the game would get destroyed by the press. MW2 showed that the press doesn't really care about terrorists (even though you weren't really a terrorist). I guess you kinda play a terrorist in gta because you are bringing terror to hundreds of people.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By hatking

I don't even play the games where you kill nazis.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ZmillA

of course. If done right nothing is off limits, to say otherwise is to limit the medium.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@r0k1ll said:
" Nazis are a bit to sensitive, and the game would get destroyed by the press. MW2 showed that the press doesn't really care about terrorists (even though you weren't really a terrorist). I guess you kinda play a terrorist in gta because you are bringing terror to hundreds of people. "
Maybe not specifically Nazis but a normal Wehrmacht soldier would be a good start. He can be a guy who is just serving the infantry to prevent his family or himself killed by the regime. If it's something like an SS officer in any camp, that will very likely never happen.
Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

it's already been done, but not in any in-depth story i can think of. i remember playing as nazis in battlefield 1942 where you could either play as allied or axis...in games like GTA you're basically playing as a terrorist for the majority of the time..maybe not suicide bombers giving Islam a bad name, but it's all the same in a sense

Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Mr_Bubbles
@Killjoi said:
"

EDIT: When I say done right, I mean the game is actually a good game and treats the subject matter with the gravitas it requires.  "
But you can't have that while playing an RTS game to see who can build the best concentration camp.
SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#72  Edited By SBYM

If you've played Final Fantasy VII you've played as a terrorist. AVALANCHE, anyone?

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By bybeach

No I would not, would be my knee-jerk response. I look at it by 1 premise, that in doing so I am being what I have to be,  a Herman Goering type of guy, and I also want to terrorise and kill civilians. In other words, loyal in sentiment to those concepts, my desires. 

Bend it in context of why you are that person, ie double agent, or  Arnold Shwarzenegor say, I do not see that as honest. It`s not in the spirit of what the question asks.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By masternater27

I would love to play a game that makes me sickened to keep going through it, like a horrifying documentary or something.  If done tastefully, that is.  I think gaming should go there at some point.  I'm kind of tired of these moral choices that are really just means to a gameplay (you get the evil powers instead of the good) or story (different endings) end.  Force me to do horrible things or less horrible things with a high risk of losing at the game.  I'd eat that shit up!  (For the record I'm Jewish).

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By ch3burashka

It's all a matter of perspective, which I think should be played with once in a while. Remember, not all Nazi's were hardcore Jew-bashers and Aryan elitists. 

However, what I'm suggesting is a similar perspective, but from the opposite side most games take. If there was a game which put you in the place of such an Aryan elitist or a terrorist with the intention of making missions to kill people we consider on the 'good side', then I'd be interested to see both my reaction and the reaction of the internetz. Obviously, Nazi's don't have a lot of mainstream support, so I doubt any large developer would risk millions on a game that would be flamed immediately, and any indie/small-time flash developer wouldn't be taken seriously. It seems we're caught in a Catch-22 of sorts. Looking over my logical progression, it seems that we'll never see a game in which the main protagonist (notice, PROtagonist) is an "evil" character, historically. It's just not a feasible financial decision.

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#76  Edited By admordem
I couldnt do the nazi thing, i mean level 4 - gas 6 million dews and retards to death. Not my idea of fun or escapism.

My other concern is that even if it was tongue in cheap, and done to mock nazis, a lot of white supremist idiots would play it to be a nazi and kill innocents. It doesnt need to happen. Too many people where hurt because of nazis.

Same with terrorists i guess, but i kind of like the idea of a modern day shooter, where germany won WW2, and your a terrorist hating on the Nazi government ruling the world. That would work fine for me.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By meteora

Yeah, I would play as a terrorist or Nazi.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By LiquidSwords

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By choffy21

Yes. In order to gain more mainstream acceptance, games need to make the step from "just a game" to truly cinematic experiences, and if done right, playing as a Nazi or Terrorist (besides a single level, ala Modern Warfare 2) would close the gap that much more.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

I always enjoy playing as the underdog so it's a big YES for me.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By AURON570

Terrorists have been done already by Counter-Strike....

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Coombs

Honestly, Yes.

I am the kind of person who will generally play as the "Evil" character,
If your given a choice in the matter, ie: Fallout, Fable, ect ect....

It's just more fun that way.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Nasar7
@nanikore said:
" Yes. If I kill Japanese people in one game I might as well kill American people in another. It's all the same. Killing people is killing people. "
Nailed it.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84  Edited By JoelTGM

I'll play terrorist in counterstrike or even GTA, but in a serious story game I'm not going to play like that.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By ajamafalous
@CharleyTony said:
" red faction guerilla should count as a game where you are technically a terrorist. But in that setting people tend to forget about it, thinking that your character is simply a freedom fighter. "
This was the first thing I thought of.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#86  Edited By Meowayne
@AdMordem said:
" I couldnt do the nazi thing, i mean level 4 - gas 6 million dews and retards to death. Not my idea of fun or escapism. "
And that's why its not going to work. Video game developers would have to to show a certain knowledge and delicacy when dealing with the Wehrmacht / SS; requiring an audience that is able to distinguish between the two, and differentiate between the deeds of aregime and the deeds of its followers. Obviously, this audience doesn't exist, especially not outside of Europe, where Nazi German has - even in history classes - been turned into a wondrous fantasy land of evil. 

Video games, for the most part, cannot be more intelligent than the next Michael Bay movie, or they will be rejected by the audience.
Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jimbo7676

If by done right you mean an accurate portrayal then no. I like being T in counter strike but I don't want to plan suicide bombing attacks on innocents or murder Jews. That is just messed up.

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89  Edited By RisingRaiden

*sees that "Yes, both" is the current leader* WTF is wrong with these people? *leaves topic forever*

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90  Edited By RisingRaiden
@ReaperOfLiving said:
" The poll is very scary.  And even worse I voted NAZI.  o_0  We need some more things letting you view the opposite side.  To much through the US soldiers eyes or the Jewish people eyes.  Maybe not make it positive in there perspective but they truly believe what they are doing is right and I wouldn't mind seeing that. "
WTF??? That's the most twisted thing I've ever read (along with almost ever other post in this topic)
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#91  Edited By alexl86

Sure, I can think of ways to make an interesting story told from the viewpoint of a Nazi soldier in the context of a game. I'm not so sure that a story about a terrorist would be as compelling, but I might go for an experience like that too, if the game looked alright.

My biggest issue would be the gameplay though. FPS isn't my favorite genre as it is. A good story(or an interesting premise) would go a long way, but I play one FPS a year... Actually, if it had great gameplay and a well told story, I might just buy it because I'd like to see how they handle a story told from a Nazi's perspective.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#92  Edited By Bones8677

I wouldn't mind playing a Nazi, provided it's done with respect to all parties and maintains a good level of maturity.  What I would actually like to see in a game is a campaign where they actually show the true nature of the Nazis. The Nazis were WAY WAY wrong, but they weren't evil. What they did, they honestly felt was the right thing. 

Take the movie Downfall for instance. That movie showed that at his core, Hitler was still a human being, a troubled, mentally and emotionally broken man at the end of his empire. Loved that movie.

I wouldn't really wanna play as a terrorist because this issue is still going on so it hits a little too close to home for me.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By handlas

Someone has probably already mentioned but if not...

I'm fairly positive Tripwire's next game is suppose to be you as a Nazi.  Which is awesome to play WW2 from a different perspective for once and considering Tripwire made Red Orchestra which is awesome.  It's either that or you play some of the game as a Nazi.  I don't remember exactly, haven't kept up with it but I'll definitely be checking it out.

as for being a Terrorist.  It would depend on the context I suppose....I'm pretty sure we have already played several games where you are basically a terrorist.  Red Faction Guerilla?  Half-Life 2 even...

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Rayfield

Sure. If done in an interesting way. 

On the Nazi front, if the game featured a character who was an accountant Nazi rather than a deathsquad Nazi could be interesting. But honestly, when you say 'play as a Nazi', the first thing that pops into my head is PRESS X REPEATEDLY TO GAS JEWS etc. Which is how the game would be viewed 99% of the population of Earth.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By HandsomeDead

Definitely. Not just because it'd be interesting if done well but also push story telling forward in games rather than the default Nazi = Evil copout we've had to put up with in WW2 games for years.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#96  Edited By Red

I would, but only if it really tackled the situation in a similar way to Modern Warfare 2's No Russian mission, being more focused on horrifying the player than making them say "DOWN WITH AMERICA!"

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. Especially if it's way over the top and absolutely not respectful of anyone.