#1 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -

I thought of a bit of a system in which the community can patrol itself.  Basically, users would be able to "bomb" posts or threads.  Offensive post?  Bomb it.  Spam? Bomb it.  After a post received so many bombs (let's say 5), it's deleted.  Also, for threads, a higher number would be needed to get it locked/deleted/whatever.  What are your guy's thoughts on this?

#2 Posted by Soulless (143 posts) -

Forum Anarchy = Forum Apocalypse.

#3 Posted by khit (150 posts) -

You can kind of do that stuff now, when so many people thumbs down a post it becomes invisible.

#4 Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -

People will always find faults in community-based moderation. I think its best to leave it to the professionals.

#5 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -

You could always make it so the people with the most wiki points have more pull.  Maybe even an "unbomb" feature.

#6 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

yeah some annoying users could just bomb genuine posts and stuff like that.

Going that far with it is impossible

#7 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -
Why_So_Serious said:
"People will always find faults in community-based moderation. I think its best to leave it to the professionals."
And it is abusable.
#8 Posted by theycallmeryan (100 posts) -
Why_So_Serious said:
"People will always find faults in community-based moderation. I think its best to leave it to the professionals."
Agreed.
#9 Posted by DarkArmada (132 posts) -

Moderators > Community Moderators

#10 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

Way too easy to abuse. The rating thing they got is pretty useful.

#11 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

Check the top right corner of each post, you can give a + or - to each reply. Enough -'s, the reply is invisible. Otherwise, I take care of things.

#12 Posted by ManlyBeast (1160 posts) -

Like everyone has already said before, people would just abuse it. We need mods.

#13 Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -
DARKIDO07 said:
"Why_So_Serious said:
And it is abusable.
"
Abusable...yes. You'll have people like DeWhiteAsian(banned I know) running around bombing posts on purpose. Not a good idea.

#14 Posted by Leone (145 posts) -

Perhaps the rating system could be added to threads themselves? I'm just thinking out loud, but if people could + and - threads, the ones that get mainly negative scores from the users as a whole could also be "censored/invisible" and you'd have to actively reveal them to see 'em

#15 Posted by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -

I think the rating thing works well enough for ordinary users.

#16 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

No Mods = Oddly fun

Like when your teacher would leave the room

#17 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

Mods are necessary for a successful forum.

#18 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

There has to be some sort of authority or else the site would fall apart

#19 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

Wow, I love the idea behind this. It's like the Old West.

#20 Posted by Locke (330 posts) -
Termite said:
"yeah some annoying users could just bomb genuine posts and stuff like that.

Going that far with it is impossible
"
Imagine what more than one annoying user could do. No, I think Administrator appointed moderators would do just fine.
#21 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -
Why_So_Serious said:
"DARKIDO07 said:
"Why_So_Serious said:
And it is abusable.
"
Abusable...yes. You'll have people like DeWhiteAsian(banned I know) running around bombing posts on purpose. Not a good idea.

"
Crap, He got banned? I posted something saying " Ban DaWhiteAsian" in the Site Suggestion.
#22 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -
Why_So_Serious said:

Quote for the truth.
#23 Posted by TheSuperPickle (9 posts) -

yea..to abusable

#24 Posted by DJ_LaFleur (178 posts) -

Naaaaah, I think we will do just fine with moderators.

#25 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

I hope so, but mods sometimes can cross the line and use their ego to deny the claim, but I don't see that happening here yet.

#26 Posted by Shadow (4981 posts) -

it would be fine if the GB staff were moderators and everyone else could just use the vote system thing to block posts.

#27 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

yea in the long run it wouldn't really work

#28 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

Would not work, only trusted users should be able to choose what threads/posts need to be locked/deleted.