#1 Edited by christopherson329 (210 posts) -

I don't have a ps3 but I do have a ps2 and I want to start playing metal gear games but I don't know where to start.

#2 Posted by vegetashonor (564 posts) -

Dude, it's really a lost cause right now man. If I were you, I would watch playthroughs of 1,2, and 3. Or watch the cinematic cut DVD they put out. And try your best to play 4. They don't stand the test of time that well.

#4 Posted by squiDc00kiE (347 posts) -

I played through the original ps1 classic on my ps3 recently and it held up surprisingly well. I really enjoyed it. I'd say find a way to play 1 on your ps2 and go from there

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

If you're serious about playing through yourself, I'd say track down MGS1 and go in order from there.

@vegetashonor's suggestion to watch a playthrough is also a valid choice if you don't want to press though the graphics/mechanics of yesteryear.

#6 Posted by Grimluck343 (1146 posts) -

@christopherson329 I just started with the HD collection and found that I can keep up with the general story all the way through to 4. Well, as much as I could ever keep up with a MGS story.

#7 Posted by owen99 (44 posts) -

id reccomend just playing mgs3 at this point and leaving it there. to play mgs4 youd probably have to play 1 and 2 to get the most out of it whilst mgs3 can be enjoyed without any prior knowledge

#8 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Oh man. You have to play 1. It's so short too. If anything, skip 2. But really.. don't skip any.

#9 Posted by DarkShaper (1319 posts) -

I picked up the Metal Gear Essential collection for PS2 about a year or so after MGS4 came out and even then MGS1 still held up fairly well, so I would recommend starting there.

#10 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Same place most people did. MGS1. Your PS2 plays PS1 games.

If you play them out of order it will be really hard to get into older games, because the game controls are constantly improving. Playing 4 and then going back to play something like 2 feels crazy. Start early and you get to play through that progression instead. And the games are all filled with references to older games. You have to play things in release order, anyone that says anything else is crazy.

You will enjoy 2 more if you have played 1, 3 more if you have played 2, 4 more if you have played 3. And on and on.

#11 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

Play it in chronological order starting with Metal Gear Solid on the PSone, the game still holds up surprisingly well when I replayed it last year.

#12 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -

I first played the MGS series last February, I played MGS 1, 2, 3, 4 and then Peace Walker. They all held up better than I would have expected and were fantastic.

#13 Posted by Nilazz (606 posts) -

VR Mission!

#14 Posted by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

MGS1

Start from there and play them in order of release.

#15 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -

Play them in order of release, starting with the first MGS.

#16 Posted by vaportra1l (270 posts) -

You probably don't want to start. But yeah start with MGS1 if you're gonna.

#17 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2178 posts) -

Try to find the MGS Essentials Collection for the ps2 and start playing those games in order. (You will need to track down a ps1 memory card for MGS 1)

#18 Posted by cky4890 (97 posts) -

I recently rented the collection for the 360(maybe not the best console to play it on)but they do not hold up as far as control scheme, camera controls,and the whole it's a shealth game.

#19 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

@cky4890 said:

I recently rented the collection for the 360(maybe not the best console to play it on)but they do not hold up as far as control scheme, camera controls,and the whole it's a shealth game.

Ignore this ... play them all in chronological order

#20 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Youtube, so you don't have to endure the horrible "signature" gameplay.

#21 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3719 posts) -

MGS1 like so many have said. If you don't dig the overhead style jump to 3 though I suppose. But it's something where you should really experience the story in order so kind of tough to recommend that, but it's better than not playing any of the games because they are very special.

@donpixel said:

Great post for those who feel the need to post in threads they don't need to post in. Good work.

#22 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@donpixel said:

Great post for those who feel the need to post in threads they don't need to post in. Good work.

I did play MGS2, MGS3 and 4, because I got hooked with the history. The gameplay thou, as I say.. I endured, sorry I offend your sensibilities.

#23 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3719 posts) -

@donpixel said:

@artisanbreads said:

@donpixel said:

I did play MGS2, MGS3 and 4, because I got hooked with the history. The gameplay thou, as I say.. I endured, sorry I offend your sensibilities.

That's fine if you did man, let the OP decide if he finds the gameplay horrible.

#24 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

MGS1 is still fucking awesome. You should definitely start there.

It hasn't aged perfectly, obviously, but you can still see just how many great and original ideas are present.

#25 Posted by KoolAid (821 posts) -

Whatever you do, stay away from The Twin Snakes. Play MGS1 on the PS1.

#26 Posted by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

I don't care what anyone says, MGS2 had outstanding gameplay. That analog lean in first person completely blew my mind at the time.

#27 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

In order of how good/important the games are:

1. Metal Gear Solid 3
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
  4. Metal Gear Solid 2
  5. Metal Gear Solid 4

You know what? Scratch MGS 4 off that list. It's kind of a turd.

#28 Posted by Miketakon (513 posts) -

It's gonna be hard to play those games. I love Metal Gear but MGS 1-3/PW have some janky ass controls. MGS4 has the best control scheme of the bunch. With that said play in this order. 3>PW>1>2>4

#29 Edited by 49th (2669 posts) -

I recently played from 2 - 4 which was a great experience not only seeing how the game has evolved over the years but also in understanding the story. I have never played MGS1 though, but I pretty much know what happens just through cut scenes in the later games and generally from what I have heard. The events of MGS1 are definately referenced a lot though so you should probably play it first, personally I don't think I can go back to MGS1 though since it just feels a bit too dated from what I have played of it and considering I have already played the other three games.

The one thing I had with Metal Gear is that I never really understood how to play 'properly'. Halfway through MGS3 it clicked for me and it was great, I really started to enjoy the gameplay.