If MS's next console isn't BC, 360 games will die out...

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eric_buck

Think about it. Everyone knows that your 360 is eventually going to break. At maximum I'd say it lasts about 4 years (if more it will still eventually break soon) so if MS's new console isn't going to be BC eventually no one will be able to play 360 games (as they will stop making 360s). Not like the N64 or something which just doesn't break. Just a random observation I made.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

I hope all system developers have learned from sony's stunt. At least I try to think that they do.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

I beleive after the fiasco with Xbox BC they stated they had obtained the rights to the chip this time around and that any follow up to the 360 would be fully 100% BC.

If not, they they had better hope this repackaging they are supposedly releasing next year is super reliable or i'm going to be hella pissed when I have to wait 150 years fo PC emulation to be able to handle 360 games.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By flaminghobo

I'm sure I won't be the only one a tad "annoyed" if the new MS console, doesn't support backwards compatability for X360 games.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

Why wouldn't they?

Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pantalooney

I believe in our current situation with console gaming  you expect all the current and future console to have BC

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

It will be, don't worry.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

Honestly I probably wouldn't care. By the time we get t another console, 360 games will be out of date. My PS3 isn't BC, but their aren't any PS2 games I feel like I need to play. But still, it's a nice feature t have just in case. Weird though. You have a good point. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They need to either develop a fully reliable 360, or a backward compatible new console, or we are screwed. Although someone will eventually develop a bootleg 360 or an emulator for PC to play the games, but both of those will be a long while before they are functional.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Insectecutor

The news I'm hearing is that the next Microsoft console will be an iteration on the 360 hardware with Natal built in, so that would mean it's definitely backwards compatible.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By penguindust

The larger question is what happens to all your 360 games when the Xbox goes full digital download?  I'm not saying it will be anytime soon, but I'm interested to see how well the PSP-GO is received by the gaming public and how Sony solves the problem of purchased UMD games. 

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By grilledcheez

Well if it's the 2010 console, which I feel is just going to be more of a repackaging of the current hardware with some slight changes, then they most certainly will have bc...I'm having a hard time picturing MS just flat out releasing a new console with no bc.  Their console is tremendously popular now as are many games on the platform and I just don't see them abandoning their base this time.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
@PenguinDust said:
"The larger question is what happens to all your 360 games when the Xbox goes full digital download?  I'm not saying it will be anytime soon, but I'm interested to see how well the PSP-GO is received by the gaming public and how Sony solves the problem of purchased UMD games.  "

I honestly don't see it catching on. And even if it does, physical media isn't a 'problem' that needs solving.

If any console goes entirely digital download as the only source of getting any of it's games, I will quit gaming. I simply will not invest that much in a service that can be taken away from me without a moments notice (I mean just look at the terms and conditions for games from PSN store etc, and Xbox Live subscriptions, they can be terminated at any time, and access to them blocked at any time with no warning and with no justification)

I won't put that much power in the hands of people who 5 years down the line can gain by releasing another console and offering me the same content but want payment for a second time.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zombie2011

I don't see why they wouldn't have backwards compatibility im think there the only console maker who has it this generation even though it is limited.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain said:
"
@PenguinDust said:
"The larger question is what happens to all your 360 games when the Xbox goes full digital download?  I'm not saying it will be anytime soon, but I'm interested to see how well the PSP-GO is received by the gaming public and how Sony solves the problem of purchased UMD games.  "
I honestly don't see it catching on. And even if it does, physical media isn't a 'problem' that needs solving.If any console goes entirely digital download as the only source of getting any of it's games, I will quit gaming. I simply will not invest that much in a service that can be taken away from me without a moments notice (I mean just look at the terms and conditions for games from PSN store etc, and Xbox Live subscriptions, they can be terminated at any time, and access to them blocked at any time with no warning and with no justification)I won't put that much power in the hands of people who 5 years down the line can gain by releasing another console and offering me the same content but want payment for a second time. "
yeah, I'm only gonna go full digital distribution if I get to keep the installers on a microsd or something which in a sense is the same as pirating except legit.