If PS4/720 are x86 CPUs, Radeon, can jailbreakers-

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

install Windows on them just like MACs since their switch to intel? PS3 needed special editions of Linux because of the cell. And while I'm sure ps4 will use firmware updates to block such windows installs, could someone buy a ps4 to never officially update or use for ps4 games, just as an entry level windows/steam gaming PC?

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sogeman

The 360 is already PC architecture. Is there Windows on there? They have PC components but I doubt you can access them well enough to make Windows run well enough/at all.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

install Windows on them just like MACs since their switch to intel? PS3 needed special editions of Linux because of the cell. And while I'm sure ps4 will use firmware updates to block such windows installs, could someone buy a ps4 to never officially update or use for ps4 games, just as an entry level windows/steam gaming PC?

If you are planing on doing this and buying the console at full price why not just build your own PC?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Why would hackers use a paid-for, closed source OS to mess with a PS4?

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By szlifier

@sogeman said:

The 360 is already PC architecture.

Not in the slightest...

While there is a possibility of running linux on them with decent performance, it's not going to run games.

Windows can't be rewritten to run on a modified PC hardware.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

@boocreepyfootdoctor: No. It will probably have a locked bootloader so it will only ever run signed firmware. Even if it is hacked its very unlikely to ever run windows as it doesn't use a BIOS and Windows wouldn't have a clue what to do with the hardware even if it did boot and that's ignoring the fact that the GPU wouldn't even have drivers as its a custom one, the PS4 doesn't even have a soundcard, it has a custom Audio DSP chip.

The only reason Macs run Windows is Apple allowed them to with Bootcamp, without it you can't boot windows on a Mac and the only way you would ever get Windows or Linux on PS4 is if Sony put some form of OtherOS on the PS4 and they removed it from the PS3 to stop people hacking the console.

So there is no chance in hell you would be able to install Windows on the PS4.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

Nope. Not going to work unless Sony allows you to do it (as said above).

The real question here is WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You'll be able to buy comparable (or better) hardware for your own PC for the same price... so the only reason to do it is for the satisfaction of saying you did it...

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking that microsoft will probably put a special xbox version of windows 8 on the console and have it controlled by the kinect. Even if it's not called windows 8 it's probably going to look exactly like the start menu.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EXTomar

@sogeman said:

The 360 is already PC architecture. Is there Windows on there? They have PC components but I doubt you can access them well enough to make Windows run well enough/at all.

No the 360 is a PowerPC with a custom built ATI graphics processor and custom built I/O hardware to support DRM. The 360 is about as "PC" as as the PS3.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 won't but Microsoft going to announce a modified Windows 8. Or if we take a look at Bill Gates comment for iPad, they will make a office for XBOX :D

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If you want a PC get a PC.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Nope. Not going to work unless Sony allows you to do it (as said above).

The real question here is WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

Actually, it's pretty reasonable. You can get access to PS4 exclusives, and PC exclusives, and enjoy mods on multiplatform games.

Or, could, if that were even a tiny bit possible.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft could have the "multimedia living room PC" dream, with the next Xbox...

Just think about all the apps they're putting on the Xbpox right now...

What's stopping them from having a start menu with the next Xbox that just pops up windows 8?

There's really no reason why they couldn't sell you a Windows 8 Xbox edition starter pack, with a nice living room PC keyboard with touch pad, and a code for the newest office software.

Well, that's what i would do, if my company's motto was, "We're going to own the living room"!!!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

go to jailbreakme.com on your consoles's browser and its done. Trust Me