If the Sony Gaikai PS3 stuff works... why do I buy a PS4?

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Is it not slightly bizarre that Sony is selling a box for several hundred dollars that promises to be the most advanced pc you've had in your living room, and one of the key features is that it can stream PS3 games over the internet? If that works, why not just have a shell like OnLive, and play these super graphically intense games remotely from sony's campus?

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Because they are hoping to make this a reality in a few years, meaning probably towards the end of this generation, so even if they succeed, they still need a dedicated thing until then to compete with Microsoft.

I personally think it will take at least until sometime next generation for cloud gaming to work like a dedicated machine.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you can say goodbye to the condescending good for nothing start & enter buttons. They have it coming.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DonPixel

uuggg really? .......

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alekss said:

Because they are hoping to make this a reality in a few years, meaning probably towards the end of this generation, so even if they succeed, they still need a dedicated thing until then to compete with Microsoft.

I personally think it will take at least until sometime next generation for cloud gaming to work like a dedicated machine.

If that's the case, then people should totally start taking them to task for promoting it as a feature at this point in time when it's just a "vision"...

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazgalaxy: They said it's a vision during the Playstation Meeting announcement. All they commited to is that we will be able to stream demos of PS4 games similar to how EA's Origin does, but we won't be able to stream full games for PS4 or the older Playstations.

I think they won't commit to full games because the infrastructure on both their end the consumer's is not there yet. And to be honest streamed games look kinda compressed and a bit laggy so the tehnology still needs to advance.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@alekss said:

If that's the case, then people should totally start taking them to task for promoting it as a feature at this point in time when it's just a "vision"...

I believe the many times during the conference when he said 'eventually' and 'long term plan' and 'one day we want all games to be playable on all devices regardless of their original platform' And the countless other times you could infer that it was something that would not be at launch, and the fact at no point they said that these features would be available from the get go, are a pretty good indicator as to why no one is taking them to task for it

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

To play PS4 games???

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Silly me, I thought people would want to buy a PS4 to play PS4 games.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, very much silly you, then. If the service could stream PS3 games functionally, it could stream PS4,5,10, Infinity games as well.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasnt that stuff going only to be for PS1-PS3 games???

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I figured it was because they wanted you to see the shiny PS4 games in all their pretty glory, instead of compressed to hell and kinda laggy?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lordandrew said:

Well, very much silly you, then. If the service could stream PS3 games functionally, it could stream PS4,5,10, Infinity games as well.

Your question makes no sense if this is your problem with it. They still need that hardware in the console and the PS3 simply doesn't. This is not something you can do via software alone, and you most likely won't be able to for a long, long time.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

In the time frame (what are we thinking here, four years?) that it will take to really get the streaming library and solid tech off the ground, Sony will try to build a good strong subscriber base to whatever premium online service they offer. Once it's viable to run Playstation Air or whatever they're going to call it, they can offer you a streaming library for a paltry charge every month and buying a PS3 will be one way to experience that, whether PS4 games are exclusive to that console or not, I imagine Sony will want owning or buying a PS3 (If they are still being manufactured) to be a completely viable way of accessing that content. Why not? if I we have to pay for the service, it's all money for them.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Sooty

@jazgalaxy said:

Is it not slightly bizarre that Sony is selling a box for several hundred dollars that promises to be the most advanced pc you've had in your living room, and one of the key features is that it can stream PS3 games over the internet? If that works, why not just have a shell like OnLive, and play these super graphically intense games remotely from sony's campus?

Because OnLive/streaming services make multiplayer games unplayable. You are dealing with the latency of you and the streaming service and then the additional online connection of the multiplayer on top.

and fighting games will have a permanent lag even offline, might as well not make fighting games anymore if streaming is the only option. Not as big a deal to have 20-40ms on a first person shooter but that shit doesn't fly in execution and timing heavy games. (so we can include Rock Band here too)

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mellotronrules

well- someone should get john sony on the horn and let him know that we figured out that his business model is screwed!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jazgalaxy said:

That isn't one of the key features. That is a feature that might be nice to have, some day and that Sony has said it would like to perfect and release as a feature, some day.