If you could eliminate one or two titles from my backlog...

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kamolahy

My backlog is pretty big right now. I have a number of games I want to play, so I need to start prioritizing. I also need to get real and realize I can't play them all. I need help deciding what's not worth my time... 

Here goes... 

• Brutal Legend
  • Crackdown
  • Resistance 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Demon Souls
  • Uncharted
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Grim Grimoire
  • Persona 4
  • Metal gear solid 3
  • Gears of War series
  • The Witcher
  • Risen

These are the games in the list right now... Hack it up as you need. Oh, if you're an RPG hater then I really don't know what to tell you. You'll probably go to town on the list but I'll take your suggestions with a grain of salt. 
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

I would eliminate Brutal Legend and The Gears Of War Series.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By webby

Risen

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty

I'd say you should decide what you want to play most rather than what you want to play least.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Lowbrow

If you have a partner (hell you could do it solo really)  to run through with you and a solid weekend, you can blast through Gears of War

Uncharted is also quite short a single player experience. (You are talking about the first one right?)

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kamolahy
@Bigandtasty: I see your point. The reason for eliminating is because there are a ton of games coming out that I also want to play. The reality is that I'm not going to play all these games. It just won't happen. I have a job and school and a significant other that take priority. If I take a few out, I feel better about playing the games I want to finish. If I don't, I feel overwhelmed.
kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kamolahy
@Lowbrow: First and second actually. I'd start with the first. I wouldn't play the second without having played the first though, so It's a commitment none the less.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

Brutal Legend and Resistance 2. 
But that's really my opinion, I couldn't stand those games at all. 

Brutal Legend had a good story and some great characters and the soundtrack was bad ass. 
But the mix of different gametypes just didn't do it for me. 
Had it only been a Hack/Slash/play guitar-game it would have been alright, but the RTS-ish part just ruined it for me. 

Resistance 2 was in my opinion just as bad as the first one. 
Though I can understand why most PS3 owners would have said stuff like "The first Resistance was awesome!" because at that time we didn't really have anything else to brag about. 
But I never really liked the first one that much, I mean it was an ok experience but I just couldn't get myself to finish the second one because it was just way too much of the same, and nothing new was intoduced into the series. 

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kamolahy
@ZeForgotten said:
"Resistance 2 was in my opinion just as bad as the first one. Though I can understand why most PS3 owners would have said stuff like "The first Resistance was awesome!" because at that time we didn't really have anything else to brag about. But I never really liked the first one that much, I mean it was an ok experience but I just couldn't get myself to finish the second one because it was just way too much of the same, and nothing new was intoduced into the series.  "
I liked the first one but it wasn't mind blowing. I think part of me wanting to play the second one is just to complete the story. I still haven't looked up spoilers
tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By tofford

I would get stuck into gears of war because they are great games. The only thing is I think they are loosing their appeal as what made them special is now pretty common

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Alex_V

Well the single-player on Resistance 2 is one of the worst games I've played in recent years. Dreadful.

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kamolahy
@Alex_V said:
" Well the single-player on Resistance 2 is one of the worst games I've played in recent years. Dreadful. "
Well that's potent... maybe i'll nix this one.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zeforgotten
@kamolahy said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
"Resistance 2 was in my opinion just as bad as the first one. Though I can understand why most PS3 owners would have said stuff like "The first Resistance was awesome!" because at that time we didn't really have anything else to brag about. But I never really liked the first one that much, I mean it was an ok experience but I just couldn't get myself to finish the second one because it was just way too much of the same, and nothing new was intoduced into the series.  "
I liked the first one but it wasn't mind blowing. I think part of me wanting to play the second one is just to complete the story. I still haven't looked up spoilers "
If the story did interrest you then I would highly recommend that you play through the second one too. 
Again I would just rip that out of your backlog, in the end it's really all up to you. 
To me it was just another generic dude-shoots-alien-thingies story although I did like the view of it, like instead of World War 2, this is what we get and that was at least something that kept me playing through the first one... I will admit that the Multiplayer in R2 was a lot of fun, including the co-op stuff, so that could probably last you a while (if there are still people playing it) :D
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Geno

Skip The Witcher. The game's presentation is pure ugly and the combat gets boring within 5 minutes.  

Would also skip Persona 4. In the time that it takes you to finish that game you could probably clear the rest of your back log. Plus you've probably already seen significant portions of it on the Endurance Run already. 

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kamolahy
@Geno said:
" Skip The Witcher. The game's presentation is pure ugly and the combat gets boring within 5 minutes.   Would also skip Persona 4. In the time that it takes you to finish that game you could probably clear the rest of your back log. Plus you've probably already seen significant portions of it on the Endurance Run already.  "
I avoided watching the endurance run with the sole purpose of not spoiling it. 
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrSnow

Persona

Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pantalooney

Rogue Galaxy,Grim Grimoire, The Witcher and Risen.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#19  Edited By Valkyr

Brutal Legend, Risen, Gears of War series. 

• The Witcher Enchanced edition is one of the best western rpg of all times (play it on hard, on normal is so easy that it's just a point and click hack and slash, the true game is on hard).
  • Gears of War series, I only played the pc edition of the first one and I was wishing it to finish way early in the game, you should only consider it on co-op.
  • Brutal Legend dies a few hours into the game and the sp it's just some kind of tutorial for a multiplayer you will never want to play
  • Risen, not such a polished/good game compared to others that you have on the list and that you MUST play, like MGS3 (play that game or you will go to hell)
kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kamolahy
@Valkyr said:
" Risen, not such a polished/good game compared to others that you have on the list and that you MUST play, like MGS3 (play that game or you will go to hell)"
Best advice ever.
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alex_V
@kamolahy said:
" @Alex_V said:
" Well the single-player on Resistance 2 is one of the worst games I've played in recent years. Dreadful. "
Well that's potent... maybe i'll nix this one. "
On the other hand the co-op play got rave reviews. If that's your bag.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tmthomsen

Risen and Persona.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By MildMolasses

I would scratch off the first three from the list. They may be fun, but by no means are they games that are essential playing.  

I would get on top of Lost Odyssey ASAP though. That game is amazing
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thecleric

Grim Grimoire and Rogue Galaxy

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Drebin_893 said:
" I would eliminate Brutal Legend and The Gears Of War Series. "
As harsh as that is I would have to agree.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pause422
@Bucketdeth said:
" @Drebin_893 said:
" I would eliminate Brutal Legend and The Gears Of War Series. "
As harsh as that is I would have to agree. "
I would agree with that as well.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By EVO

I was gonna eliminate some games like, say, Gears of War, but then I realized how stupid this is. By asking others to choose what games not to play essentially you're possibly missing out on games you'd really enjoy. Who am I to say don't play Gears of War?

Make up your own mind, dude.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Driadon

The big RPG's(  Lost Odyssey, Rogue Galaxy, Persona,The Witcher, ect.).  I'm in the same boat and the only reason why is because I'm in the middle of so many damn RPG's at the moment. Breeze through the more Action-y stuff like Gears, Uncharted and Brutal Legend as they can usually be completed in a weekend and that'll shorten that list right up. Once that's done it'll likely be around xmas time(assuming you put some major hours into gaming per week), which will give you ample hours to dive into those thicker games. 

Demon's Souls is a special case in that it's more of a go-back-to game, where going through from start to finish, while possible, is not the likely way it will be played.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By izzygraze

Gears of war and I suppose Risen from reviews and the such. I'd say get rid of crackdown too but you have A LOT of RPGs on that list and I'm sure you'll need a break with some stupid fun somewhere in there.

People rave about Gears of war but I've never really understood the appeal. And just a quick not about The Witcher. It is REALLY hard to get into. The manual is thick as hell and the game doesn't really lead you along very well. I took a quest to some marsh lands and got my ass handed to me quite quickly, maybe I was underleveled? I have no idea. So, I'd suggest buying that one last or in a period where you have some real time to devote to it.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By maxszy

Brutal Legend and Resistence 2. I haven't played Brutal Legend but I've no interest after finding out that its a lot of weird strategy type gameplay and well..its been a big flop. Resistence 2 really wasn't anything special so might as well get rid of that.

Gears of War series may be kind of "meh" at this point but I think its worth going through. I've you've got a buddy to go through coop with you, it would be a lot of fun to just blast through one weekend.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead

You could probably finish Crackdown in about 2 hours. That game is utterly pointless.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CharlieTuna

From the ones I've played Brutal Legend, Gears of war series and Resistance 2.

Brutal Legend is just terrible, I honestly think Ryan David summed it up perfectly in his review of the game. Besides the story there is not much in it. He'll I got so bored with it I sold it without finishing it (just see my achievements) and that says a lot for such a short game (from what I've heard).

Gears of war series are all right but only if you care about multiplayer, the single player is amazingly forgettable IMHO. Even if you care about multi it's broken and every time I go back it breaks in new ways. After having got 5000+ exp on a CTF game in Gears 2 and then have the game make the "Flag" (a man in this case) uncapable (and thus unable to finish said game and losing all that exp) I sold the damn thing. First game was never fixed, hosts have a massive advantage.

Resistance 2 wants to be a lot of games but never gets to be anything great on it's own. The first one was pretty unique, haters be damned, the split screen co-op was amazing on hard. R2 lost it and the only thing I liked about it was the awesome revolver with exploding bullets.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Karmum

Gears of War Series and Uncharted. Go for Uncharted 2 if you don't have it yet. Obviously if you do, just get rid of what I mentioned.

Just my opinion.

vinnylegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vinnylegs

Get rid of Brutal Legend, Resistance 2, Gears of War 1&2, and Risen.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kingkorn69

Brutal Legend and Gears of War series

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Cerza

If you are going for quantity then I say kick Persona 4 and Lost Odyssey, because in the time it will take you to beat both of those games you could have beaten all the rest on your list. If you are going for quality then kick Crackdown and Gears. Both are forgettable in the single player department and the multiplayer in Gears has always been broken and continues to be broken. Basically, while they are good games, I feel they are the two weakest on your list in terms of a quality gaming experience.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toowalrus

I'd stick with the current-gen games, personally. (although I do have the entire Metal Gear series waiting there patiently on my shelf.)

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust
@kamolahy said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
I liked the first one but it wasn't mind blowing. I think part of me wanting to play the second one is just to complete the story. I still haven't looked up spoilers "
If the story is an interest to you then prepare to be disappointed.  The whole campaign really doesn't add anything to the tale and in fact replaces some cool concepts found in the original with generic Halo stuff.  I was really disappointed in Resistance 2 and think that's a title you can miss without missing it.  The game was just a massive let down for me and I really liked the first one.  There are a few cool sequences which you may have seen in the trailers that came out before the game hit shelves last year which were okay.  Basic monster battles with quick time evens woven in.  Apart from that, there just isn't much there to warrant the time played.  Oh, and don't get me started on the ending.  The last five minutes of the game are complete malarkey.  All in all, the game just did not live up to the same standard and unique vision found in the original, Resistance: Fall of Man.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'm not much help for most of those, but I say give Resistance 2 and Crackdown the axe.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By MKHavoc

I'd say you should only skip the first Gears of War game.  I'd imagine that the first game hasn't aged well since so many third person shooters after it borrowed and refined the cover mechanic.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#41  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
@kamolahy:
You can probably do without playing Crackdown and Grim Grimoire.  Both are decent enough games, but compared to the rest on that list, I'd say those are your weakest.  But definitely give them a go if you get some free time.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Captain_Insano

Don't skip Brutal Legend (I am one of its rare defenders)

If you sit down with the purpose of finishing it you will burn through it pretty quickly so there is no point giving it a miss completely.

I would say MGS3 as time has moved on, play MGS4 if you haven't already. Also Crackdown as you may as well play inFamous or Prototype instead