If you could have an entire console library, which would it be?

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nukesniper

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nukesniper

First note: I'm sorry if I left out your favorite console in the poll. I tried to put reasonable choices on there (I'm not saying you are unreasonable for choosing Virtual Boy, but seriously.)

The Angry Video Game Nerd almost has a full collection of NES games at this point. Meaning he has every game that was made for the system, and every accessory required to play those games. This got me thinking, what game library would be the one I would want?

Let's preface this with some guidelines. I know you guys well enough to know that rules will be bent to satisfy what you want. Let's get on the same page here.

• You would have every game made for the platform, and every version of each game (Region/Label/etc.) and you would have every accessory required to play them. This means foreign consoles and Nintendo accessories.
  • You would NOT have needless colors of consoles or accessories that were not game required. EX: You would have a 4-Player multitap for SNES as that lets you play 4-player games. You would NOT have the rumble vest for N64 because seriously. No Pikachu N64.
  • You get a double collection. One set opened so you can play them, and another set sealed for collection (to get everyone on the same page here). As sealed as can be at least. Nintendo World championship wasn't sold, but you will have it.
  • All of the games work perfectly and will live forever
  • I'll let you say PC, but only because I'm not going to tell someone that the PC library can't be their favorite ever. I'll be pretending you mean older PC though, not an ongoing collection forever. You get what is out now and that is all.
  • The console is limited to finished collections (with the PC and some other exceptions). Try to avoid Xbox 360 and PS3 in your write-ins. Those collections are not complete yet.
  • Games that were rereleased for your chosen console are included in your collection, obviously. You don't have to pick NES to get Final Fantasy.

I'm curious as to where Giant Bomb falls on this. I had a discussion with a co-worker on this and liked his reasoning. We differed in choice, but I love that we did.

My choice is SNES. I was born in 1987 and grew up on the budget side of gaming. I knew what the SNES was when my uncle got one and wouldn't let me play it. The NES is the console I grew up with most, but I didn't like it as much as the SNES. My best idea as to why is the lack of good save features. You have to start over every time you start up most games. Great for me as a kid, but I love loading old saves and such.

The SNES has the best catalog to me because it is so hard to find a really terrible game for it. I know you can prove me wrong easily, but shush you. The sports games are great. Tecmo Super Bowl, NHL 95, and Super Bases Loaded are some of the best out there. Battletoads and Double Dragon is awesome, and other SNES beat 'em ups are great. The sprite based graphics are the best ever, and the RPGs just started getting crazy awesome at this time.

I would still hook up my SNES just to play games like: Earthbound, Super Metroid, Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Mario RPG, and FFVI. The 2-player layout is also best for me at my current situation.

As a minor side note: My co-worker chose N64. He loved Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, and Ocarina of Time. He had a good point, but I wonder if his choice is because he is younger than I am.

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nonapod

Definitely Neo Geo, if for no other reason it'd be worth a mint to collectors.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For fun I would want PC.

For profit... NES?

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Jrad

PS3. Yeah, I know you said not to write it in, but it's the only system that has any exclusives that interest me. Besides, I can play everything on that list on my PC with emulators (excluding the original Xbox). I'm not a collector, though.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DoctorDanger99

even though it's not my favorite console. the ps2. SO MANY GAMES! i think as far as other consoles go. few can compare to the diversity that was the ps2.

second choice would be SNES,because nintendo rules.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scarace360

PC and when does the library go up to?

Euphorio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Euphorio

Yeah i had to go PS2....it's the largest platform for games, ever...other than the pc of course....so it'd just make for ages of entertainment...not to mention a lot of the games can become pretty valuable over time.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Portis

For profit: NES.

To actually play: SNES.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By linkster7

No rumble vest nearly got to me but still have to say N64. Just love that thing, would be awesome to have all those nice game boxes all neat and tightly packed again. The ones I have at home now look like they have survived a zombie apocalypse or something.

gsquirrelgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gsquirrelgo

How is this even a contest PC has the best selection, it is the only one that has current gen titles and I see nothing here saying MAME is not allowed.

INVERT MOUSELOOK FOREVER!!!!!

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Marcsman

PS2

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Addfwyn

PS2, heck just give me the JRPGs for the PS2 and I can probably hikikomori myself away and never come out.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

@Nonapod said:

Definitely Neo Geo.

I voted PC because, Duh, pretty much every game ever made and still being made.

My first instinct was Neo Geo though, just because it had the best sprite based graphics which age much better than early polygonal grahics.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShaggE

Was going to say PS2 until I saw PC. So yeah... PC. (I'd imagine the computer in question is a magical device that runs everything perfectly, even games that don't run right on anything in existence, and the hard drive is unlimited in space, correct? Also... emulators... yay/nay?)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Hizang

Nintendo 64, it's the console of my childhood, has some of the coolest games on it and its quite a small collection.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By umdesch4

I said C=64, because damn I love those games, and I've yet to see PC emulation that does them justice. Also, the idea of having sealed original boxes of all the Infocom games makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Euphorio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Euphorio

I'd have to add in the rules that emulators dont count for PC....I mean it's kind of a poll ruiner...u can have any collection of one system OR every collection on every system! which do you want? obvious answer

gsquirrelgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gsquirrelgo

@Euphorio: booooooo. Still PC has the deepest and best collection as well as the only console that would have access to current gen games.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Th3_James

PC. It could keep me entertained forever.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By sixpin

I've already got the games I want for NES, SNES, and PS2, so I'll have to say PC. PC is kind of a no brainer anyway. It is the biggest value, biggest library, and has the (usually) best version of multiplatform games. Getting a PC that can run every game might be a pain. I say this as a guy that mostly plays games on consoles. PC just makes sense to me.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kogasu

NO!! Don't make me choose...I ....I can't !

Heh, but really it's a tie between a lot of them.

SNES, PS1, PS2, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast and PC. I guess I could get around it with PC but I still can't really choose. I have my own reasons for each of them.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AngelN7

PS2 , so much good stuff in there.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Deathmachine117

PC because it gets Id say the most games and since my PC right now cant play any games it would be fun to switch it up from the 360.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By morrelloman

i never played PC games. But PS2 jumped out at me because it had the longest life and probably has the most games. Plus the graphics are good enough. PC kind of the obvious anwser because you would get pretty much every game that's any good for all of enternity, but not really a fair item on the poll.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uniform
@Nonapod said:

Definitely Neo Geo, if for no other reason it'd be worth a mint to collectors.

Yeah, that's the one. Not only for its value, it was always something unobtainable when I was younger. I played it in the arcades, knew it was also a home console, but a home console that only the richest of the rich could obtain. If I had that and its full library of titles, I could say "Look at me now young self, living the DREAM!".
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nukesniper

@gsquirrelgo said:

How is this even a contest PC has the best selection, it is the only one that has current gen titles and I see nothing here saying MAME is not allowed.

INVERT MOUSELOOK FOREVER!!!!!

I get the PC thing. I mainly included it for those who grew up loving your Baldur's Gates and Wizardrys etc. etc. I understand that if I chose PC I would have the most stuff, but I have a personal affinity toward the SNES.

Aside from that, the MAME argument is not what I was intending at all. I could have all the MAME stuff as it is, but without a massive amount of cash I could not have all the SNES stuff. I want physical carts and perfect play. Sure, I could get a SNES emulator, but that isn't the point either. I'm also not saying you have to throw away all of your other games just to have only one console. I have a lot of SNES stuff, but there is a lot that I wish I had. With the PC, I could get a lot of that weirder stuff for mad cheap thanks to Steam.

On your last point, as someone who uses invert look on consoles ever since Goldeneye on N64 made it default, you are crazy for invert mouse look. I can't say why. I'm just saying you are crazy. I can't do that, and I've tried.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Playstation 2. No contest.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Commisar123

Forgot about PC...not a bad choice at all, but I love/am interested in too many PS2 games

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox

I never had a PS2, so that. PC shouldn't even be an option as it would be literally impossible to collect everything.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By nintendoeats

PC, assuming that I also had the computers to run them all.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By emprpngn

PC. That's just... whoa. I can't even comprehend that. I know I'd spend all my free time going way deep into tons of stuff that I know has historical significance, but I've never had the opportunity to play.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Justin258

Fuck, I hit PS2 when I should have hit PC. I didn't know that the PC was being included in "console".

Ah, well, I'll have more fun with those JRPG's than I will with those clunky, buggy old-school Western ones.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Yeah, PC is basically the "I wish for three more wishes" option.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karl_Boss

Maybe Genesis just for the nostalgia.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

SNES..... That thing is the heart and soul of my childhood :D

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By crusader8463

FUCK! I didn't expect PC to be on the list so I picked PS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked the PS1. I missed it the first time around; I had an N64 growing up.

I would have picked the PC, but the thing about the PC is that every game I would have wanted to play or missed playing is probably legitimately available, either as freeware, abandonware, open-source clones, or re-releases. It's not hard to find PC games.

PS1 games, on the other hand, are out of print, and the era was interesting. There were a lot of developers coming to grips with 3D and/or with having all this storage space available on a CD-ROM. A lot of it was crap. But there were some gems in there that I know I won't be able to find just by going into a store or opening up the PlayStation Store. Anyone remember Colony Wars? What about the version of Ace Combat 3 that *wasn't* released in the US?

So yeah, I picked the PS1. That's my rationale for it.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Slay3r1583

PC

All DOS and Windows based games released up to today and old computers so I wouldn't have to resort to DOSBox or something for old games? Sign me the fuck up.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jams
No Caption Provided
Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zelyre

PC. PS2 and Wii titles rendered at 1920x1080p! That and I can still play ancient multiplayer games like Quake 2, Meridian 59, Mechwarrior, Freespace, and Neverwinter as long as I have others who want to play them online with me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cloudenvy

PC is a dumb inclusion, PS2 all the way!

Dominoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Dominoes

Really a tough call, but I'll have to align myself with the SNES.

It just has so many games that I want to play, but haven't and just as many that I have and loved.

Others that cut real close include: PC (I'd argue the best library), and PS2.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

PC. The best of all worlds, and by far the most games.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By toowalrus

Probably PS2, just for the sheer number of pretty, pretty boxes I could have shelved up.