Posted by JCrichton (55 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: If you could only afford one which game would you get? (199 votes)

Metal Gear 19%
Tomb Raider 34%
Far Cry 3 47%
#1 Edited by SMTDante89 (2545 posts) -

I'm assuming by Metal Gear you mean "Rising: Revengeance" correct? Just asking for clarification.

#2 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

I don't think Metal Gear holds up too well nowadays.

#3 Posted by JCrichton (55 posts) -

Yeah sorry. It is rev.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (4908 posts) -

Far Cry 3 but I haven't played any of them

#5 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

I'm assuming by Metal Gear you mean "Rising: Revengeance" correct? Just asking for clarification.

No. Dust off your MSX.

#6 Posted by Humanity (8798 posts) -

@psylah said:

@smtdante89 said:

No. Dust off your MSX.

I was hoping he meant the best Metal Gear, you know, Metal Gear Solid 1? (Jeff is insane there was plenty of gameplay in it)

Also as a young adolescent the ability to see Meryl workout in progressively less and less clothes was pretty rad.

#7 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I bought both Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Rising

I've only played Rising

I fucking love Rising.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11686 posts) -

@psylah said:

@smtdante89 said:

No. Dust off your MSX.

I think it's safe to say that he was also referring to the original Tomb Raider.

#9 Edited by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I was pretty excited for Far Cry 3 but felt it was repetitive and the majority of the side stuff was boring. Rising just isn't my type of game. For me, it'd be Tomb Raider from that list, despite the fact that I never played it. I'd definitely like to though.

#10 Edited by D_Bones (365 posts) -

I don't think I'll get any of the 3, however, I have a friend who loves rising and Tomb Raider to me looks the most intriguing of the three.

#11 Edited by Rotten_Avocado (82 posts) -

Far Cry 3.

My argument for Far Cry 3 is strictly on the basis of what a time-sink it is and for the purchase price in comparison to the other 2 games. Metal Gear Rising is a $20 purchase at best. Go with Tomb Raider as your second choice IMO.

#12 Edited by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

Far Cry 3, even though I had a number of issues with that game. It was still a solid 20-something hours of playtime, though.

#13 Posted by probablytuna (3532 posts) -

Far Cry 3: 59 hours and I'm still loving it.

#14 Edited by woutr (22 posts) -

Far Cry 3. Isn't Metal Gear really short? Wouldn't go for that if you're on a budget.

#15 Edited by Castiel (2527 posts) -

Neither of them. I would save my money for The Last of Us if I could only afford one game. I know I didn't answer your question but I don't care, cause if you don't play TLOU you are doing something wrong... not just as a gamer but as a human being.

#16 Posted by Tearhead (2151 posts) -

Far Cry 3, my favourite game of 2012.

#17 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

I think I'd save my money. If you replaced 'afford' with 'receive as a gift' though I think I'd go for Far Cry.

#18 Posted by hermes (1365 posts) -

My choice goes to Far Cry 3, not because its a better game, but because its a lot longer than both other options (considering the restriction of "one game per month")...

#19 Posted by Pr1mus (3801 posts) -

Original Metal Gear yes. Rising? Hell naw.

I voted Metal Gear because OP clearly meant original Metal Gear.

#20 Posted by wwfundertaker (1396 posts) -

I bought all 3 games and i enjoyed Tomb Raider the most.

#21 Posted by Ben_H (3305 posts) -

Far Cry 3 because you can punch sharks and engage in combat with various other animals. I had a blast playing that game.

#22 Posted by mrfluke (5088 posts) -

Far cry 3, hated the story, but its a damm fun game and its a long game as well with plenty to do.

#23 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2903 posts) -

Metal Gear!?

You collect arms in that game man, how cool is that?

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

Metal Gear Rising like duh. Why isn't that winning? What kind of awful people are you that you'd vote anything else?

#25 Edited by Miketakon (513 posts) -

Console Far cry 3? If so go with Metal Gear Rising.

#26 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Metal Gear

#27 Posted by squiDc00kiE (347 posts) -

If you're asking about only buying one, longevity is probably a large concern. I beat Far Cry 3 in 12 hours but if you wanted to, you could very easily make it a 30 hour single playthrough.

#28 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2193 posts) -

None of them.

#29 Posted by monstersarehere (17 posts) -

@castiel: I am super excited for Last of Us as well, hope it doesn't disappoint!!

From the list I would have to go with the redesigned Lara just to see if she is the new Drake who was the new old-Lara... such a mess!

#30 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2209 posts) -

Far Cry 3, you can easily put in more than 20 hours in that game.

#31 Posted by bennyboy (328 posts) -

big rigs over the road racing

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

Raiden? Raiden!? RAIDENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!

#33 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Metal Gear, son!

#34 Posted by GunstarRed (5020 posts) -

You can't lose either way.

#35 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

You'll get more gameplay for your money with Far Cry 3 and it's also a decent game. The other two I have yet to play but from reviews they both seem on the short side in terms of content.

#36 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Far Cry 3. If you ignore how dumb the story can be, it's a hell of a game and I probably had more fun with it than any game last year.

#37 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is the greatest game I've played in years. Just pure pure pure explosive f.u.n it took Just Cause 2 and Crysis and turned them both on their heads after making them sex each other.

#38 Edited by Thandurin (18 posts) -

I haven't played any of them yet but from what I've seen Metal Gear Rising looks the most appealing to me.

#39 Edited by Conzed92 (166 posts) -

@castiel said:

Neither of them. I would save my money for The Last of Us if I could only afford one game. I know I didn't answer your question but I don't care, cause if you don't play TLOU you are doing something wrong... not just as a gamer but as a human being.

Is there even a release date for that game?

If it was me, I would go for Far Cry 3. Saying that, I have not played Tomb Raider. Far Cry 3 is a great game, there is plenty of value to extract from that game if you set out to do some serious exploration. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to pick up.

#40 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2412 posts) -

Assuming you're talking about the MSX Metal Gear, Id go with Far Cry 3, best game Iv played in a long time.

#41 Edited by TekZero (2662 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is on my wishlist and I have no desire to play the other two. Pretty easy choice for me.

#42 Posted by Castiel (2527 posts) -
#43 Posted by LucidDreams117 (377 posts) -

Not gonna vote. Are you asking what game I would actually get, or getting a generalization so it'll help YOU decide. I've played through Far Cry, about half way through Tomb Raider and watched my friend play through the majority of Rising. All three are different games and you'll get three different experiences from each. Non are too similar to each other. Also, it's kind of weird, but in the order I listed them, the length of those games starts at Far Cry 3 being the longest (your mileage may vary) and the shortest being Rising. It really matters what your looking for.

#44 Edited by MeganeAgain (123 posts) -

Of those three, I would go with Tomb Raider. Other than Tomb Raider looking and sounding like plenty of fun, Tomb Raider is my choice because I was never interested in Far Cry, nor I am unfamiliar with the Metal Gear universe.

I loved Bayonetta, and I plan on playing Revengeance eventually, but I would like to come into it having played the previous MGS games.

#45 Posted by Conzed92 (166 posts) -
#46 Posted by JCrichton (55 posts) -

Thanks. It's great hearing multiple opinions on this. I did rent Tomb Raider from redbox and loved it but will probably end up buying Farcry.

#47 Posted by ZeeL (34 posts) -

I voted for Tomb Raider, just because I love a good story, and the one in FC3 just didn't do it for me. However, FC3 will probably have alot more staying power than Tomb Raider.

#48 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

Console Far cry 3? If so go with Metal Gear Rising.

i have it on 360, it runs perfectly fine. the frame rate is pretty solid a majority of the time too. i think i noticed a SINGLE dip, and that was during a mission were there was like 20 cars and helicopters chasing my helicopter, and everything was exploding and even then it wasn't an issue.

also i would recommend that.

i was playing it the other day, i was stalking some pirates, and then a tiger growled and startled me, i accidentally hit the "grenade button", hit the tiger with a molitov cocktail and then had a flaming tiger maul me to death. A FLAMING TIGER MAULED ME TO DEATH.

it was pretty awesome.

#49 Posted by TobbRobb (4574 posts) -

Dude this isn't even a contest. Tomb Raider is good for one playthrough max, and even then I'm not especially interested. I couldn't give less of a shit about Far Cry 3.

MGR:R is likely a GotY contender, with insane replayability and fantastic combat. I'm playing the shit out of it even when I have other things to play.