• 166 results
#1 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

If you could remove one thing from gaming or gaming culture what would this be and why?

My number one problem with gaming culture as a whole has to be the 'gamer entitlement'.

I understand why we have it, we are one of the most passionate communities in the world of media. But this leads to a lot of problems; piracy in a way with gamers believing they have a 'right' to play games if they can't afford them or don't want to spend money. (not talking about demo purposes as long as you do buy and other grey areas).

As well as people EXPLODING about games making choices they don't think fit. (see: Mass Effect 3 Ending).

We would be a nicer, better community if we got rid of this. But kept the passion that made us special.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by The_Big_Rough (236 posts) -

Heading towards a multiplayer/connective focus world.

#3 Posted by Ping5000 (385 posts) -

Either the misogyny or the sexism.

#4 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

Hm. I don't know. Gamer.. shimshmitlement!?

IAH: I'm finding it hard to isolate an element of gaming culture that I don't like. I guess I wish everybody had super varied tastes so that we could all play incredible amounts of really different crazy games.

#5 Posted by Sparklykiss (1983 posts) -

@Ping5000 said:

Pretty much nailed it. Although entitlement is pretty high up on that list as well.

#6 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

I would remove the word "entitlement," as it has become nails on a chalkboard to me. Ugh.

#7 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2998 posts) -

People are people and they are going to want all the product they can get and they want it to be as intense/high quality they can get it. I would remind you this is mostly marketing department's own damn fault as far as the compulsive consumption/entitlement mentality goes.

#8 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Angry birds.

No but seriously I would remove the concept that games have to be easy to be enjoyable. Games like Super meat Boy, Dark Souls, and XCOM Enemy Unknown are reasons why we should remove the stigma that games should be made easier for the slack jawed masses.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5352 posts) -

The Internet.

#10 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I would erase the existence of the Quick Time Event from past, present, and future, for all time.  Lazy fucking slapdash solution to such foreign concepts as effort and creativity on the part of the developer.   This needs a melee system!  But we don't have time to build a melee system.  QTE to the rescue.  D:

#11 Edited by Jace (1093 posts) -

@Sparklykiss said:

@Ping5000 said:

Pretty much nailed it. Although entitlement is pretty high up on that list as well.

You guys nailed it. I'd remove proponents of censorship. I'm glad you'd take racism over misogyny and entitlement, haha.

Buncha' jokers.

#12 Posted by Nev (558 posts) -

@Ping5000 said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the main thing.

#13 Posted by Giantstalker (1715 posts) -

Any title without guns in it; it just isn't a good game if someone isn't getting shot.

#14 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I'd remove fuckin "gaming culture". There is no gaming culture, it's just a marketing demographic to get you idiots to buy Mtn Dew, Pikachu earrings n a GameBoy belt buckle. If you listen to NES chiptunes instead of actual music, you're not in a culture, you just have a tragically small perspective on the world.

Anyway I might more likely remove things like Kotaku and NeoGAF and people kicking the shit out of developers. Stuff like "this guy left Irrational, so from that we can decipher that Bioshock Infinite will suck".
"This DLC was developed before release date, big companies aren't treating us right! Here's a database of how much time Notch spends on vacation, what a lazy asshole!"
Reading that kind of conspiracy-theorist witch-hunt crap really rains on my parade.

#15 Posted by Levio (1785 posts) -

I hate when games waste my time on pointless traveling. If my character is "here" and needs to be "there", and there's nothing interesting in between, then fucking teleport my character "there".

WoW was by far the worst offender of this. Looking back, it is kind of sickening how much useless running that game made you do. Players actually did more running/flight-pathing than fighting.

#17 Posted by Ares42 (2778 posts) -

Although it'd be pretty much be impossible (or maybe not with the rise of digital download), publishers. While having the industry being run by this huge investor/profit-seeking machine has lead to a rapid rise in technical quality and proliferation of the media, it's also the source of creative stagnancy and has again and again completely overflooded the market with sub-par products. To this day we still see a clear connection between the studios that keep on putting out great game after great game and their distance from publishers.

It would certainly make game development an even more unstable career choice though, but as a fan of unique and interesting games rather than monetary successful games a higher risk/reward environment encourages the kinda games I want more.

#18 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Jace

@Sparklykiss said:

@Ping5000 said:

You guys nailed it. I'd remove proponents of censorship. I'm glad you'd take racism over misogyny and entitlement, haha.

Buncha' jokers.

Wouldn't saying "racism" be the exact same type of censorship, though? Both are equally bad. And my guess is the OP means "remove any trace of its existence" rather than make a rule saying "this can't be done" so if bigotry was to be scrubbed from the culture entirely, it wouldn't be censorship, would it?
#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

Pixel art. Just stop it guys. It's not original anymore and they only did back then out of necessity. Use a more interesting art style for your 2-D games.

#20 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

Smash Bros. tournament players. They are the worst kind of people and the world would be a better place without them.

#21 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Pixel art. Just stop it guys. It's not original anymore and they only did back then out of necessity. Use a more interesting art style for your 2-D games.

I mostly agree, but there are some recent games that have used it very well. Retro city rampage and lone survivor come to mind.

#22 Posted by KickahaOta (147 posts) -

I would ban griefing.

Any habitual practitioner of griefing -- the intentional use of dickery to ruin another player's experience, including serial teamkilling, hacking, excessive stupidity in chat, etc. -- would be barred from use of the regular Internet. They would instead be required to use GriefNet, a new network purely for griefers. It would include griefer-only versions of Xbox Live, PSN, and all other multiplayer services. There, griefers would compete against each other. Naturally, the weaker griefers would be driven into retirement or insanity almost immediately. Over time, the remaining pool of griefers would hone their craft, and gradually eliminate each other, Highlander style. Eventually, only one Master Griefer will remain. We will hold this legendary asshat in comfortable confinement until the next war breaks out, at which point he will be unleashed against the enemy.

Naturally, all of this will be overseen by a new Cabinet-level Department of Griefing, with Wil Wheaton as its first Secretary of Grief.

#23 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Jace

@Sparklykiss said:

@Ping5000 said:

Buncha' jokers.

Wouldn't saying "racism" be the exact same type of censorship, though? Both are equally bad. And my guess is the OP means "remove any trace of its existence" rather than make a rule saying "this can't be done" so if bigotry was to be scrubbed from the culture entirely, it wouldn't be censorship, would it?

He said 'gaming' culture, which means we'd still be aware of it outside of gaming. Thus, it would be censorship within the gaming environment. Your first sentence isn't coherent, so I don't know how to respond to it.

#24 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@Ping5000 said:

Pretty much this. I'd say homophobia and racism are also pretty pervasive; sexism seems to be the issue that's very much at the forefront right now though.

#25 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

The sexism. No doubt.

The expression "core gamer" comes very close second. For some reason, it pisses me off, a lot. Fuck off.

#26 Posted by IzzyGraze (852 posts) -

Bigotry of any kind.

#27 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Jace

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Jace

@Sparklykiss said:

@Ping5000 said:

Buncha' jokers.

He said 'gaming' culture, which means we'd still be aware of it outside of gaming. Thus, it would be censorship within the gaming environment. Your first sentence isn't coherent, so I don't know how to respond to it.

My first sentence is perfectly coherent, but you have a history of being a troll so I'll explain. You said "I'm glad you'd take racism over misogyny and entitlement" implying that you'd do the opposite. But if removing misogyny is censorship, then removing racism is the exact same thing.
#28 Posted by captain_clayman (3326 posts) -

"console warzzz"

#29 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Jace

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Jace

@Sparklykiss said:

@Ping5000 said:

Buncha' jokers.

My first sentence is perfectly coherent, but you have a history of being a troll so I'll explain. You said "I'm glad you'd take racism over misogyny and entitlement" implying that you'd do the opposite. But if removing misogyny is censorship, then removing racism is the exact same thing.

History of being a troll? Please, elaborate

I realize it would be the same thing, but you're missing the point. My point is that the justification for censoring one type of hate speech over the other is laughable at best. Furthermore, it would be much more logical to censor all hate speech as opposed to one type, if you like censorship.

I think you're the troll.

#30 Posted by BaconGames (3544 posts) -

The high price of games overseas. Even in countries where wages are high enough to afford them, buying games overseas can be a pain when they're equivalent to between $60 and $120. Double the issue for nations where average wage in real US dollars is a good amount lower but game prices are the same if not higher and stay at that price for longer. Global piracy, moral arguments and cultural effects aside, is largely a price issue. Where game prices are high, wages are low, and internet is fast piracy is very popular, especially since a lot of the media being pirated is the well-produced Western stuff. I just want more people to afford more games and establish parity with the American market experience.

#31 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -
@BaconGames

The high price of games overseas. Even in countries where wages are high enough to afford them, buying games overseas can be a pain when they're equivalent to between $60 and $120. Double the issue for nations where average wage in real US dollars is a good amount lower but game prices are the same if not higher and stay at that price for longer. Global piracy, moral arguments and cultural effects aside, is largely a price issue. Where game prices are high, wages are low, and internet is fast piracy is very popular, especially since a lot of the media being pirated is the well-produced Western stuff. I just want more people to afford more games and establish parity with the American market experience.

This. We pay $90 in euros for new games, and as I understand we're still getting off lightly.
#32 Edited by Aleryn (705 posts) -

Piracy, Misogyny, Cheating. It'd be hard to pick one but I'd probably choose Pirating.

#33 Edited by Rebel_Scum (758 posts) -

In no particular order because I'm choosing more than one thing...sorry:

How every single player game has to have multiplayer

Sexism

Children playing games online that are above their age in terms of rating

Console exclusives

#34 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4868 posts) -

Buncha people up in here wishing they could rewire how other people think. Kinda scary, actually.

If I had to pick one thing, it'd be the high price tags of new games. Knock that shit back down to $40-$50. For everyone. Worldwide.

#35 Posted by Vonocourt (2160 posts) -

Cynicism.

#36 Edited by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

@I_smell said:

I'd remove fuckin "gaming culture". There is no gaming culture, it's just a marketing demographic to get you idiots to buy Mtn Dew, Pikachu earrings n a GameBoy belt buckle. If you listen to NES chiptunes instead of actual music, you're not in a culture, you just have a tragically small perspective on the world. Anyway I might more likely remove things like Kotaku and NeoGAF and people kicking the shit out of developers. Stuff like "this guy left Irrational, so from that we can decipher that Bioshock Infinite will suck". "This DLC was developed before release date, big companies aren't treating us right! Here's a database of how much time Notch spends on vacation, what a lazy asshole!" Reading that kind of conspiracy-theorist witch-hunt crap really rains on my parade.

I'm confused about what you find offensive about the term gaming culture.

People who go to conventions all around the world, be it PAX, comic-con or where I live Armageddon. If they are there for the games, they're part of the culture. If you're on a website about video games, you're in the community. A gaming community. a large community is a culture. I wouldn't call it a marketing demographic since gaming is such a large thing that has a wide range of people in it.

also i agree with the second half of your comment. Those people are commonly called 'dicks', i'd like to remove them too.@Oldirtybearon said:

Buncha people up in here wishing they could rewire how other people think. Kinda scary, actually.

If I had to pick one thing, it'd be the high price tags of new games. Knock that shit back down to $40-$50. For everyone. Worldwide.

we gotta control the people man! How do they know what they want if we don't tell them man?!

#37 Posted by mellotronrules (1231 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex said:

@Ping5000 said:

Pretty much this. I'd say homophobia and racism are also pretty pervasive; sexism seems to be the issue that's very much at the forefront right now though.

100% agree with your additions to the original post. basically anyone and everyone who goes out of their way to marginalize and belittle others, taking something that's supposed to be fun and make it demoralizing.

they are truly vermin.

#38 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Fedoras

Patchy facial hair

#39 Posted by Nadril (541 posts) -

Entitlement is on the top of my list too. The fact that people expect for games to be made just for them rather than a large demographic is laughable. Whining about DLC gets old too. We get it, you think you are entitled to a year of free updates for your game you bought for the large price of $60.

#40 Posted by Wampa1 (725 posts) -

@Levio: Definitely, I think if any game is going to give you an open world it should offer a fast travel system to go straight to it's activities. Even when it's a well made one, sometimes I just want to do the missions/quests.

#41 Posted by Catarrhal (851 posts) -

"eSports."

#42 Edited by SharkEthic (1062 posts) -

The recent trend (specifically in gaming journalism) of calling developers anti-women and getting all up in arms because, let's say, GTA IV don't have a female protagonist. Cool your fucking jets Sir Lancelot, you're a total feminist, we get it.

#43 Posted by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

Retro console chic.

#44 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

all the whining and cynical sneering at new game releases just because it doesn't fulfill your every hope and dream

a close second tho is the non-stop white-knighting echo chamber, mostly from people who seem to lack experience and perspective

#45 Posted by Nadril (541 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

"eSports."

Do you mean companies constantly using "eSports" as a means of advertising or do you mean actual eSports games? Because I can agree it's annoying how every company seems to be jumping on the bandwagon, but I fucking love watching me some Starcraft 2 and Dota 2. eSports are great.

#46 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

From a gameplay perspective, this:

@Mystic_11 said:

Heading towards a multiplayer/connective focus world.

From a moral perspective, this:

@Ping5000 said:

But I'll settle for getting rid of Multiplayer Achievements. Goddam, I fucking hate them.

#47 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -

Bigotry.

@SharkEthic: If you think women qualify as people, then you're a feminist too.

#48 Posted by Branthog (5595 posts) -

People misusing the word "misogyny".

#49 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

the word 'boring' i must see that word 50 times a day and it tell people nothing.

#50 Posted by SharkEthic (1062 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Bigotry.

@SharkEthic: If you think women qualify as people, then you're a feminist too.

Confirmed. Your point?