• 77 results
#1 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

We all know that video game movies don't usually fare too well, but if you knew a video game movie wouldn't suck what video game would you want to see made into a movie? My first choice would be Wolfenstein.

I have always been a fan of campy movie serials such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Rocketeer. Wolfenstein captures everything about that aspect of pop culture so well. At a time where even Captain America doesn't get to fight Nazi we could do with some good old fashioned pulp cinema. Being able to see B.J. Blazkowicz fight Nazis, zombies, and neon skeleteons would perfectly cater towards the ten-year old in me.

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -

I'm waiting for Bioshock to come out!

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

The Mass Effect series.

#4 Posted by jackbugs (26 posts) -

A full length feature by the Blizzard CG team (with story/character support from Pixar?), as compelling beginning to end as their typical cutscenes. Would prefer the Diablo universe.

That or maybe something from the old point and click line, properly resurrected. Sam and Max, Grim Fandango, Loom.

#5 Posted by Turambar (6484 posts) -

Something out of Square Enix's CG Cutscene staff.

#6 Posted by Labman (286 posts) -

I don't know why, but the first game that popped into my head was Shadow Complex.

#7 Posted by Gnubberen (734 posts) -

Psychonauts.

#8 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4036 posts) -

Folklore or Darkstalkers.

Come at me bro.

#9 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Fallout 3, or possibly New Vegas.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9375 posts) -

@FlemmingM said:

Psychonauts.

That would be pretty good. I don't really know if I can think of a better game. Plus I think it would actually have a good chance at being pretty good.

#11 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -
#12 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2235 posts) -

Amnesia.

Forget adapting the game, you're offering me a guaranteed non-bad horror movie in 2013. I'll take it.

#13 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Madden.

#14 Posted by Clonedzero (3721 posts) -

deus ex

#15 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

I'd love a movie in the Fallout universe, but I actually wouldn't want it set during one of the games (although it could of course allude to them, or be set during the same time but elsewhere), since I wouldn't want them pushing any canonical interpretation of the player's character.

Something in the Half-Life/Portal universe would be another movie I'd like to be good...actually, with all video game movies, I would hope they were not set during the same time or same story as the game, just in the universe. I mean, they are two different media, they should take advantage of it and not be hindered by stories that are better told/expressed in their original medium. That's why I believe movie games are usually bad...they shouldn't be recreations of the movie, just use the universe and characters to tell a story better suited to the medium.

#16 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus. Retain the artsy, minimalistic style and get a top-shelf director who can recreate the moody atmosphere but also handle the scale and action. David Lynch would work, as long as the studio could keep him on a reasonably short leash.

#17 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

Assassin's Creed maybe? I'd say DMC but I don't know what a DMC movie would be. Kinda like Underworld?

#18 Edited by jackbugs (26 posts) -

@frankfartmouth said:

Shadow of the Colossus. Retain the artsy, minimalistic style and get a top-shelf director who can recreate the moody atmosphere but also handle the scale and action. David Lynch would work, as long as the studio could keep him on a reasonably short leash.

Oh man, could totally get behind this. Lynch though? On the flipside (and on a less serious note, but i'd still buy a ticket), a manic Kirby freakout, maybe bring Gilliam in. 'Epic Fear and Loathing with Kirby and his Yarn'. Would prob work better as a 15 minute short though.

#19 Posted by pyromagnestir (3950 posts) -

I've always imagined there's a really good Pirates of the Carribean esque fun adventure movie series potential with The Legend of Zelda. I'd be alright with that.

#20 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

@jackbugs said:

@frankfartmouth said:

Oh man, could totally get behind this. Lynch though? On the flipside (and on a less serious note, but i'd still buy a ticket), a manic Kirby freakout, maybe bring Gilliam in. 'Epic Fear and Loathing with Kirby and his Yarn'. Would prob work better as a 15 minute short though.

I think Gilliam was born to make video game movies. He just doesn't know it yet

#21 Posted by AndrewB (7190 posts) -

The Baldur's Gate saga. It's a friggin' great story despite being tangled in the mess of Forgotten Realms lore. Just get Kevin Michael Richardson to voice Sarevok, because you *can't* replace him. There are so many ways it could go wrong, just like the novelization of Baldur's Gate 2, but you said it wouldn't suck, so there ya go!

#22 Posted by gamefreak9 (2327 posts) -

I thin the blizzard movie should be good.

#23 Posted by jackbugs (26 posts) -

Baldurs Gate could be good! Were there ever any Drizzt videogames where he was a main character? That could be some pulpy goodness.

Ok, final answer....a Terry Gilliam XCOM movie that was guaranteed to not suck.

#24 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

I think games primarily function as games; the interactivity is usually too core to the experience for a film to make more sense. I'm only just starting to see the importance of interactivity be tested thanks to the indie movement.

Journey takes on a filmic arc and trades on highly limited interactivity, I guess. Journey will always be better as a game, but as a Miyazaki-like movie, I'm sure it'd still be highly effective, though I have no interest in it. Dear Esther is an absolutely dreadful interactive experience that would make for a gorgeous animated short.

Most of my less indie-art choices basically already exist as movies or are too much better as games, though. Choosing Red Dead Redemption is kind of silly, as is choosing Metal Gear Solid. Deus Ex and Mass Effect wouldn't gain anything in the translation either.

I think a slightly more serious Tokyo Jungle would make a really interesting film that I couldn't immediately compare to anything else, actually. And I guess a God of War film that doesn't suck like Clash of the Titans would be good, too.

#25 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -
#26 Posted by jackbugs (26 posts) -

@Little_Socrates: Yeah, those big current gen titles would be redundant, especially as live-action spectacle. Unless you could mine something really unique out of it.

#27 Posted by StarvingGamer (7560 posts) -

Saints Row the Third?

#28 Posted by crusader8463 (14308 posts) -

If I knew it wouldn't suck I would be happy with anything because no matter my choice it would somehow be good. Ether way, I would vote for a Command and Conquer movie. I would love to see Joe Kucan win some kind of Emmy award for his acting as Kane in the movie.

#29 Posted by IzzyGraze (838 posts) -

One of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games would be great. The atmosphere in those games is pretty fantastic and would make for a great gritty horror movie.

#30 Posted by Nightfang (371 posts) -

Hitman and Max Payne.

#31 Posted by verbalmedal (55 posts) -

heavy rain

#32 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

I don't know. Something dumb, like a tetris movie.

#33 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Grim Fandango made by Pixar/Disney or Dreamworks.

#34 Posted by BaneFireLord (2878 posts) -

Something in the Metal Gear universe. Never particularly cared for the games, but I'd watch a movie about that stuff any day.

#35 Posted by jackbugs (26 posts) -

Feel there is still room for a really good doco revolving around 80s arcade culture, if documentaries count. A good video game doco in general actually.

#36 Posted by aznjon12 (188 posts) -

I wouldn't mind a really dope Marvel vs Capcom movie.

#37 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Something out of Square Enix's CG Cutscene staff.

That hitman absolution stuff was rad.

#38 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Mass Effect or Bioshock. Both could probably be made into good movies, but I doubt anyone would be able to actually pull it off.

#39 Posted by SynticV1 (53 posts) -

The 'rebirth' version of Syndicate, in a direction similar to Equilibrium.

#40 Posted by TheSlothKing (326 posts) -

Assassins Creed, Deus Ex ,or Hitman.

#41 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

The Secret of Monkey Island. I think that could be pretty cool. Now that Disney has LucasArts perhaps we'll see it animated. I have my hopes.

#42 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@jackbugs said:

Feel there is still room for a really good doco revolving around 80s arcade culture, if documentaries count. A good video game doco in general actually.

You should definitely check out Indie Game: The Movie.

#43 Posted by casper_ (882 posts) -

psychonauts felt like a nickelodeon cartoon to me

#44 Posted by Cheesebob (1211 posts) -

@frankfartmouth: Tarsem Singh would be the perfect director.

#45 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4443 posts) -

Silent Hill,Max Payne,Street Fighter,Prince of Persia,Tomb Raider,Mortal Kombat,Far Cry,Resident Evil,and Doom.It'd be nice if they made good adaptions of those...............No seriously,not counting the shitty animated ones,I'd like to see a Dead Space Movie.

#46 Posted by VoleMaulder (61 posts) -

Broken Sword or Gabriel Knight would make awesome movies if done well.

Mass Effect and other rpgs like it would work only if the movie just took place in the universe of the game, with a completely different plotline from the game. There is enough material and substance to its world to write dozens of movies without even mentioning Shepard.

Also, speaking of Lynch, I would really like to see a good Silent Hill, and if someone can do it, it's him.

#47 Posted by Sidoran (67 posts) -

Skies of Arcadia could make for a fun movie. Pirates, airships, giant monsters, corrupt empire. Eh? Ehhhh?

#48 Posted by medacris (611 posts) -

Just because video game movies have sucked in the past doesn't mean someone out there doesn't know how to make one. Don't judge it until the trailer comes out.

I'd like to see video game movies done in-house, but in a way where the gameplay elements don't feel like a cutscene or a demo. I think that's my greatest fear about video game movies-- I don't want them to completely deviate from the plot, or pick the wrong actors/director, but I also don't want it to feel like just watching someone else play a video game.

@PenguinDust: Doesn't Telltale own the rights to the series now, though?

#49 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

Jurassic Park

#50 Posted by Zuldim (287 posts) -

A proper Fallout movie would be pretty neat.