#1 Posted by Eujin (1294 posts) -

I didn't see any discussion on this yet, so I thought I'd ask. This is mostly based out of general curiousity

I've been streaming to Ustream/Livestream/Twitch/Justin forever for my (now) wife and some friends, who don't all share the same taste in games that I do, but have interest in seeing them played. I thought it was a novelty for years, and yet somehow my near decade old playthrough of MGS: The Twin Snakes had hundreds of views before Justin.tv migrated stuff to Twitch. Considering for many years I restricted my channel from showing up in the channel guide, hundreds of views was a shock to me.

With the launch of the new consoles, thousands (if not more) of new broadcasters will begin streaming from their PS4 and XBOs.

I'm going to keep my capture card and equipment I use currently, as it will allow me to continue to stream older systems. I will randomly fire up Guardian War on my 3DO once in a blue moon, so why not share it.

Depending on how robust the native streaming is for the XBO and PS4, however, I may forgo hooking them up to my capture setup. That being said, the first time a game does Sony's publicly stated "some parts of games may disallow streaming" (or Microsoft's non-publicly stated but identical policy in their TOS legalese for Twitch), they're going to be hooked back up. We'll have to wait and see if or when that first happens.

I know that there are other GB users that stream, heck, a weekend or so ago, we saw dozens stream for Charity. Are you all going to keep your current capture set up or get rid of it? What's your line of thought behind your decision?

This is kind of both for the XBO and PS4, so I didn't want to create separate threads in both subforums. However, if the mods feel it should be moved let me know so I can keep it in mind for the future.

#2 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (943 posts) -

I'm keeping my set up as it is. I have tons of pictures and overlays that can't be used directly from the consoles.

#3 Posted by Sammo21 (3041 posts) -

This is actually going to get me into streaming. I will see how this goes and I'd love to see some options for things like support of the PS4's camera, voice overlay, and more. I am excited to see where this goes. If I enjoy it enough and I feel there is enough merit to it then I will also stream some PC content.

#4 Edited by SomeJerk (2978 posts) -

PS4 to Splitter1, Splitter1A to monitor1input1, Splitter1B to Switch, Switch to HDPVR2.
PS3 to Splitter2, Splitter 2A to monitor1input2, Splitter 2B to Switch, Switch to HDPVR2.
PS4 audio gets TOSLINK digital to analogue conversion into my audio mixer, PS3 goes in straight via its analogue output, and the mixer feeds into the HDPVR2 analogue input along with my speakers and my PC.

Only change I want to do is to get something better and more reliable than the Hauppauge HDPVR2. The maximum 14mbit rate is harsh at 1080p60 recorded as 1080p30.

#5 Edited by Vanick (276 posts) -

This may actually get me to start streaming. I'm a pretty shy person and have some issues with social anxiety but when I heard the new consoles would let you stream with relative ease I thought this might be a way to get me out of my comfort zone and try to put myself out there a little more. If I can work up the courage to do it I think it could end up being really fun.

#6 Edited by ColonelRick (114 posts) -

@somejerk said:

PS4 to Splitter1, Splitter1A to monitor1input1, Splitter1B to Switch, Switch to HDPVR2.

PS3 to Splitter2, Splitter 2A to monitor1input2, Splitter 2B to Switch, Switch to HDPVR2.

PS4 audio gets TOSLINK digital to analogue conversion into my audio mixer, PS3 goes in straight via its analogue output, and the mixer feeds into the HDPVR2 analogue input along with my speakers and my PC.

Only change I want to do is to get something better and more reliable than the Hauppauge HDPVR2. The maximum 14mbit rate is harsh at 1080p60 recorded as 1080p30.

I use Hauppauge's colossus, which is internal (PCI-E). It does 20mbit/s on the pack-in Arcsoft Showbiz, although i've seen other cap utilities slide up to 24mbit/s. Internal cards have the advantage of being able to use PCI, though. I have no experience with other Hauppauge products, but the included documentation was kind of shit in that it does not point out all kinds of little things you'll need to know to make things work, and I don't like Showbiz. The card itself has been very solid, and the offloaded encoding means you can use it with demanding PC games as well. At this point, if you're looking for new hardware, i'd make sure its able to process progressive footage. It's not that big of a deal, but if you also upload to YT, it does save you from having to adapt your project/sequence settings and likely saves you a fair chunk of time in the rendering process in your NLE, as it there's no messing around with field blending/interpolating.

I'm thinking of getting into streaming as well, particularly because the experience for small game channels on YT isn't getting any better, but I wonder how long it'll take for Sony to implement the HDCP toggle for games so we can build more robust streaming setups rather than just throwing it out to twitch via the console itself.

#7 Edited by KirillOrlov (185 posts) -

I will more than likely try to stream from ps4. Since we're on the subject of streaming I have a question for the veterans. I streamed this past weekend some arkham city, puzzle agent 2, and a few other games. I don't talk through the stream or any of the sorts. Yesterday all of a sudden I'm unable to access twitch because I was banned(seems like globally banned). Any clue why?

I emailed them but there was no response and I'm unbanned now. Just wanted to know what I did wrong before I stream again and get banned again. Thanks duders!

Edit: has anyone tried the AVerMedia - C875 Live Gamer Portable (LGP)? Thinking of grabbing one since I want to stream through my laptop and play through my main rig.

#8 Posted by RioStarwind (370 posts) -

After streaming as part of Extra Life I thought more about getting a El Gato Game Capture HD to record most of my old consoles. Sorta gives me a reason to play my old collection of games again since Emulators can be unreliable. The ps4 might actually make me stream more than I would other wise even if using a PC would give me more tools to make sure everything looks okay. Since I'm just using my gaming pc to record games at the moment it won't really change the way I capture video since it's still available for me to use to stream at anytime.

#9 Posted by Eujin (1294 posts) -

@somejerk: Your setup makes me really hope they have Multi-Audio Out still, like they did on the PS3. Mutli-Audio out means I just set the optical audio as primary, and then it outputs stereo sound out through the HDMI cable, which I capture off of, while listening to 5.1 DTS from the optical out.

(Don't particularly care about lossless audio currently.)

I haven't seen the settings yet, so who knows, but multi-audio out may no longer exist.