• 156 results
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JokerSmilez

So, Roger Ebert seems obsessed with convincing everyone who will listen that video games are the lowest form of media and if you enjoy them at all, you are a fool. 

Obviously, everyone here would disagree with that.

Now, he's got a " survey" on the Chicago Sun-Times website about whether you would prefer a great video game or Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn", with his point being that anyone that would prefer a video game is a fool, and he intends to prove this by having a survey to show how many people agree with him, I guess. 

From his Twitter:
"I'll say it again: Only a fool would value any video game over "Huckleberry Finn." There. I said it again."

I recommend everyone in the Giant Bomb community take his "survey". You can find the link here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7VJD7JW 

EDIT: 
For the record, I picked video games because I did not enjoy Huckleberry Finn, and I have enjoyed countless video games. Video games have contributed to the quality of my life, where Huckleberry Finn has not. There are in fact dozens of books I would prefer over Huckleberry Finn. The survey is not about perceived "cultural significance", it's about personal preference.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By droop

Do I have to sign up to make it count? :s

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By damodar

I find it interesting that as a film critic, he uses a book to try and prove his point.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JokerSmilez
@Droop said:
" Do I have to sign up to make it count? :s "
No. It's just to sign up to make your own survey. You don't need to sign up for your vote to count.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski

You are a fool if you pick video games over Huckleberry Finn.

Still, I'd pick a majority of video games over the movie Avatar, although the cultural importance of Avatar is only slightly below the impact of video games, where video games are a spec of dust compared to actual art.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Damodar said:
" I find it interesting that as a film critic, he uses a book to try and prove his point. "
And as a person who likes video games, you're missing his point and so reaffirming his point.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I VOTED VIDEO GAMES! 

DO I WIN!?

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By gingertastic_10

I voted video games!

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

while i dont think hes an ignorant asshole, he sure is trying to sound like one. To me, he kinda has a point. Video games, are just that, they're games. i don't look for the same things in books or films as i do in games.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Lunar_Aura

He's senile. At his peak, Ebert would know how ridiculous and unfair this survey is.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

well he either does have a point trying to prove, or felt that he's become irrelevant to the world today, and this is his desperate attempt to get today's youth's attention 

either way, im not interested :)

Avatar image for irradiatedturnip
IrradiatedTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IrradiatedTurnip

I've never particularly disliked Ebert for his opinions, but he seems to be making a concerted effort to alienate me and others...
themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By themartyr
@Droop: Nope, after you vote, it is simply offering you the sign-up to create your own surveys. 

I value a videogame over Huckleberry Finn simply because so does the economy. A videogame costs 4 or 5 times more than a book.
droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By droop

Books are for dorks XD 

Am I doing it right?

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

His poll makes no sense. It's like saying that anyone who would rather get raped by an elephant than win a million dollars is a fool. 

Comparing apples to oranges. I don't think Roger Ebert is a douchebag, he is an intelligent man, but polls like this are beneath him and are completely pointless.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By damodar
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Damodar said:
" I find it interesting that as a film critic, he uses a book to try and prove his point. "
And as a person who likes video games, you're missing his point and so reaffirming his point. "
:( I've shamed you all 

Either way, it's not like the results of this poll would make an iota of difference. The book wins, "HA! SEE!", the games win, "YOU'RE ALL FOOLS THEN! I AM ABOVE THEE!" *smug*. 
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mutha3

Apples and oranges. This is a pretty retarded poll.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By themartyr
@S0ndor: Ebert is dealing in absolutes. Only the Sith deal in absolutes, eh?
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't care enough about Ebert's opinion to follow a link, let alone click on a survey.

Am I missing his point? Proving his point? Either way, I really don't care.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Milkman

I like Roger Ebert. I like him a lot actually. But this whole "war on video games" just seems weird. I'm not sure exactly what Ebert is trying to prove here. It doesn't seem like this survey proves anything more than "HEY! I'M RIGHT!" or "YOU'RE ALL FOOLS, YOU FOOLS!"

That being said, this whole "games as art" debate is completely uninteresting to me.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ztiworoh

It's sort of a dumb question.... I mean, Huckleberry Finn exists and I appreciate it - and perhaps there are games which are or will be held on equal footing with it. Why can't we have both? Both have their place  and in all mediums there are low-brow and high-brow forms of expression.  How would Ebert answer the following: 

Which would you appreciate more: 

A) A Harlequin Romance Novel 
B) Shadow of the Colossus 

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quacktastic

I own a Huckleberry Finn, it's great.  But I read it years ago and haven't touched it since.  Right now, I'd rather a great game.
Does he mean for the first time?  The book, but then you wouldn't know it the book was any good.  Video games are visual and social, I can know if a a game is good by seeing someone else play it.  So taking a chance on a book people tell me is good or a game I know I want to play - I'd have to go with the game.

I don't understand his survey.  It doesn't really make any sense.
Is there anything else to it but poll choices?  No paragraph explaining it?

Also, you could take the video game option being a nameless "Great video game" as an example of how little Roger Ebert knows about the subject he won't leave alone.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By droop

Someone make a  Huckleberry Finn adventure game!

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Olivaw

I like Roger Ebert!

But he is old and infirm and really confused about vidja games.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By XenoNick

Done. Voted video games.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

A great video game. Oh, you mean like BioShock? Or Final Fantasy Tactics? Or Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu? Or the Zenithia Trilogy? You know, games with fantastic stories that break free of that old saying, "good story for a game." I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ebert, you are seriously fucking wrong in more ways than you know.

Also, Penny Arcade.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problem is, that the majority of people are Idiots, so wouldn't you want the book to win the poll?

And i doubt that Ebert has played enough games (if any?) to have any credibility regarding Video Games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he has to talk with a computer ha ha

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By mikemcn

Huckleberry Finn is not a good book, if he put up a book that I actually found interesting then yea, i'd choose that. On average, I find I get a hell of alot more enjoyment from a good book then I do a good game, so Ebert may be right on saying (alot of) books are better than a videogame.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By simian
@Droop said:

" Someone make a  Huckleberry Finn adventure game! "

Sierra Online presents... Huck-Quest. Mark Twain's masterpiece finally realized in it's full EGA glory!
And for the copy protection, they can just include the whole book.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Huckleberry Finn isn't even that good of a book.  

You know, about a hundred years ago, when plays were still bigger than movies, critics thought that movies were the lowest form of entertainment, and that they couldn't be art. Roger Ebert is just a stubborn old man who's stuck in the past. Even his movie reviews aren't good anymore. It's gotten to the point where if I read a review of his, I go by the opposite of what he says (ie, he said that Kick-Ass was terrible, so I went to go see it, and it was great). 

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ashogo

This whole debate is so pointless. Ebert grew up in a completely different time and world than us, so it's not surprising that he would have a hard time accepting video games. It's so subjective that there's no point in causing an uproar about it.

He'll probably never come around to our point of view, and as long as he keeps bringing it up it's just going to incite the people who do appreciate games...I have no idea what purpose a poll like this could serve.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By JJWeatherman

Internet surveys. Putting people in their place since the mid '90s.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

Its a good book, that Huck Finn. I don't think its a stretch to say a literary classic is tangibly better than most videogames. I think you're just raging again and want to create 100 alts to fudge up his poll because you're a jackass and have far more spare time than he does. And every time a thread like this pops up you validate his stance that games appeal to simpler people by acting like simpler people.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Quacktastic

A Jason Statham movie
Glenn Beck's novel
Portal

Which is more "Art?"
The answer:  Roger Ebert is going out like a posturing asshole.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PureRok

That's like saying:

"I think I'd prefer a turkey club sandwich tonight instead of a rib-eye steak."

They aren't the same thing, and calling someone a fool for eating one over the other makes no sense whatsoever.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BabyChooChoo

If that makes me a fool then I'm the dumbest motherfucker that ever lived.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By Willy105

He has an opinion. Leave him alone.

Huckleberry Fin is kinda low end reading anyway.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zeforgotten

Huckleberry Finn isn't even a good book.  
But in any case, I don't see the point of this survey thingy, unless of course there are some people out there who changes their minds because of what other people say. 
Oh god I hope those people don't excist, especially on a website such as this.. 
'Looks around' Oh, shit.. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho

I'm waiting for someone who entered the thread called 

If you think Roger Ebert is a douchebag, click here

to say "grow up Ebert". 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Milkman
@Willy105 said:
" He has an opinion. Leave him alone.  Huckleberry Fin is kinda low end reading anyway. "
What? He's asking people to chime in. How could you say "He has an opinion. Leave him alone"? That makes no sense.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MikkaQ

What's he doing? His opinion on shit used to make so much sense. Stop talking about books and video games, you understand neither, Roger! Stick to movies, please! 

Huck Finn's awesome, but how in the hell am I supposed to pick which one I'd rather do? A book everyone's already read, or a potentially new video game.  

Plus, sometimes I feel like reading, sometimes I feel like unloading a gun into some aliens or something. Consider my change of moods, I don't have to like the same thing all the time. 

Also, I want Roger to take his poll and make a sequel. Huck Finn Vs. Twilight. I'm sure he'll be real impressed with the results, give him a perspective on what reading for youth is at right now. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ryanwho
@ztiworoh said:
" It's sort of a dumb question.... I mean, Huckleberry Finn exists and I appreciate it - and perhaps there are games which are or will be held on equal footing with it. Why can't we have both? Both have their place  and in all mediums there are low-brow and high-brow forms of expression.  How would Ebert answer the following: 

Which would you appreciate more: 

A) Any novel 
B) Shadow of the Colossus 
"
More accurate comparison. He didn't limit what game to compare it to at all, and he also didn't even pick the most critically praised book. You found the best example of an artistic game and pitted it against a dime store novel. You're clearly looking for an answer and not approaching this fairly.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Willy105 said:
" He has an opinion. Leave him alone. "
I still believe I can insult his opinion if it rests on crappy footing. And it does. Remember how he said that video games aren't art because they're a business? I wonder how the Renaissance would feel about that.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho
@XII_Sniper said:
"  Also, I want Roger to take his poll and make a sequel. Huck Finn Vs. Twilight. I'm sure he'll be real impressed with the results, give him a perspective on what reading for youth is at right now.  "
He already knows the youth of today aren't very intelligent. That's kind of the whole point of this.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mutha3
@ryanwho said:

"  Its a good book, that Huck Finn. I don't think its a stretch to say a literary classic is tangibly better than most videogames. I think you're just raging again and want to create 100 alts to fudge up his poll because you're a jackass and have far more spare time than he does. And every time a thread like this pops up you validate his stance that games appeal to simpler people by acting like simpler people. "

If you compare them on the virtue of their storytelling then, I'd  say ''all videogames'' not ''most''. But,  at the same time, its kinda silly to compare the two when narrative is only a distraction of the meat of the game in most games. It would be like comparing literature to cooking.

Regardless, this crusade against videogames he has going right now is an embarrassing waste of time. Who the fuck cares?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By penguindust

I like Ebert for movies and trust his opinion there, but the conflict that has been going on between him and the internet fanboys is silly and so I am ignoring anything in that regard.  I am sick of the "Video Games are Art" debate and wouldn't care if I ever read anything about it ever again.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By TheHT

This crazy old man is at it again? Oh you!

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zagzagovich

Voted video games.

Chew on that, critic!

Oh wait...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Brendan
@Andorski said:
"You are a fool if you pick video games over Huckleberry Finn.  Still, I'd pick a majority of video games over the movie Avatar, although the cultural importance of Avatar is only slightly below the impact of video games, where video games are a spec of dust compared to actual art. "

Quoted for agreement.