If you wanted to create a videogame, what genre would it be?

• 73 results
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Tireyo
Rules Edit: Mention as many genres as you want until your hearts are content. :D

I would like to make a racing game.  Possibly a Mario Kart game! :D
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

Old School Point and Click Adventure.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

An adventure game that has no shooting and instead relies more on point-and-click mechanics to unravel the plot.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ninjakiller

An old school 80+ hour rpg...none of that real time fighting bs.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

A four player band game (in the vein of RB and GH of course) completely comprised of music I like. Needless to say 90% of you would hate said game, but fuck it, it'd be mine.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tireyo
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

A four player band game (in the vein of RB and GH of course) completely comprised of music I like. Needless to say 90% of you would hate said game, but fuck it, it'd be mine.

"

You don't have a bad idea.  It's your honest thoughts on what you want to create.
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By webby

An RTS FPS, where your a player is the commander playing in RTS and Generals (or higher ranking units) are controlled by other players but as a FPS with the strategist controlling all standard troops.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

I'd like to make a massive RPG.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

"
It's already out:

US 360 Box Art
US 360 Box Art

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tireyo
CL60 said:
"I'd like to make a massive RPG."

They are usually fun, just stay away from Pokemon games please.  There are enough Pokemon games now. ; )
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Babo...wait!  Fnord. Dusty?   Greckle!  *knocks head on wood* Can't think of one I'd want to make.

ninjakiller said:

"An old school 80+ hour rpg...none of that real time fighting bs."
You can do that with the NWN 1 or 2 game developer engines. No need to wait. I guess this is
what I would work on if I was going to make a game for the masses.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac

A third person shooter whose events where you play as some dude. Also, the events unravel inside his own mind, and the entire game he is actually in a coma. That wouldn't be a twist. You'd know that going in.

Or, a first-person horror game where you can play online with four people. Three are survivors, one is a movie-like villain (Jason, Freddy Krueger) whose job it is to kill them. You get to customize the villain thoroughly, and he is a pretty large deal stronger than the survivors, but each one has weaknesses.

OR, an MMO that takes place in the wild west, with combat similar to Gun or Red Dead Revolver, with the ability to rob trains, start gangs, raid villages (if you make a native American character), and so forth.

OR! A stealth game where you play as a Cherub, taking orders from the saints to destroy demons in society, ala that one movie. As time went on, you could further manipulate your surroundings, and eventually could cross time and space. It'd be similar to Tenchu: Shadow Assassins more than Hitman, where your environments are puzzles that have to be dealt with accordingly. It'd be very difficult to do things spotted.

. . . I have a lot of them.

AH, RULES! Okay, the second one.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tireyo
Arkthemaniac said:
"A third person shooter whose events where you play as some dude. Also, the events unravel inside his own mind, and the entire game he is actually in a coma. That wouldn't be a twist. You'd know that going in.

Or, a first-person horror game where you can play online with four people. Three are survivors, one is a movie-like villain (Jason, Freddy Krueger) whose job it is to kill them. You get to customize the villain thoroughly, and he is a pretty large deal stronger than the survivors, but each one has weaknesses.

OR, an MMO that takes place in the wild west, with combat similar to Gun or Red Dead Revolver, with the ability to rob trains, start gangs, raid villages (if you make a native American character), and so forth.

OR! A stealth game where you play as a Cherub, taking orders from the saints to destroy demons in society, ala that one movie. As time went on, you could further manipulate your surroundings, and eventually could cross time and space. It'd be similar to Tenchu: Shadow Assassins more than Hitman, where your environments are puzzles that have to be dealt with accordingly. It'd be very difficult to do things spotted.

. . . I have a lot of them.
"

Very nice.  Interesting concept too. :)
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By raven_squad

Psycholgicaly tormenting survival-horror. No phony pop-up scares in my demented game. :D 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

A gameboy-Zelda-style 2d action-adventure-RPG, with some nicer graphics. Set in New England, revolving around Native American mythology and witchcraft/wicca, borrowing antagonists heavily from theocratic courts that reigned in the 1600s and the like. Possibly (probably not) party based. 

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tireyo
Jayge said:
"A gameboy-Zelda-style 2d action-adventure-RPG, with some nicer graphics. Set in New England, revolving around Native American mythology and witchcraft/wicca, borrowing antagonists heavily from theocratic courts that reigned in the 1600s and the like. Possibly (probably not) party based. "

That sounds interesting!  New twist to Zelda for sure! :)
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By AgentJ

I would create a second-person shooter.

FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrEeZe

A Racing game, there is still a lot left to be explored in this genre and I have a few ideas.

Or a Bourne Video Game that has a larger emphasis on being stealthy in public places.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HandsomeDead said:
It's already out:

US 360 Box Art
US 360 Box Art
"

LOL. I had a feeling someone was going to say that. But you see in MY GAME there would be more than a measly 45 or so songs. That and no Queen or Machine Head.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Just one? Shit...

If I had the resources of a big developer, I'd make a free roaming zombie game, influenced by SCZ, but more serious and in 3d. It'd be important for the player to be able to enter any building seamlessly and still interact with the outside (say, running into a building at firing at incomming zombies through a window). Also, I'd implement survival concepts from games like Stranded. The game would focus around survival in the zombie appocolypse and around the interaction of different factions. Also, there'd be no real "main" story (though different factions might have minor stories of their own), and no real goals other than perhaps to turn the city into a safe haven.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tireyo

I would probably also make a Super Monkey Ball game.  I like puzzles! :D

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Osaladin

I like to write so probably an RPG.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ

A 3D fighting game like Soul Calibur or Tekken but that is more open-ended like the Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi games.  You would be more grounded on the floor and not flying everywhere and you'd be able to enter individual buildings and intercat with your environment all during a single match.  The battle fields would also be pretty big.  A single match would probably take longer then your average fighting game, but I guess that would kind of innovate the genre.  There could also be some RPG elements added in for example, there are monsters on the field that you can kill to earn exp and use that exp to upgrade your attributes (speed, strength...) or you could go into shops to buy weapons and equipment. 

It could also possibly be a type of fighting MMO that we haven't seen before (not Rumble Fighter-esque).

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Claude

A MMO golf game with true RPG elements. The artsyle would be more realistic than say Albatross 18. I would create a deep single player expierence also.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Serker

Third person shooter type RPG... like Mass Effect style gameplay in a Crackdown like world.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheFreeMan

A lengthy free-roamer where you play as a completely human (and young) vigilante. Collision detecting wouldn`t suck, combat would be cool, you could use damn near anything as a weapon, there are takedowns like in Bourne, and you could go anywhere (by way of climbing). Very violent. Very trippy.

It`d be centered around playing smart, since the thugs have guns, and you don`t. You`re also physically weaker and need to use stealth.

Just my idea.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RetroIce4

A game called Jet Set Radio Future 2. I don't what genre that is but it would be pretty cool. (I guess it would classify under sport or adventure.)

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tireyo
RetroIce4 said:
"A game called Jet Set Radio Future 2. I don't what genre that is but it would be pretty cool. (I guess it would classify under sport or adventure.)"

Sounds like a game where you fly around and shoot things like Starfox.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#30  Edited By Vinchenzo

It would be a third person shooter that has the artistic style of Blazblue. Every character in the game is a female of Asian decent. Different environments include Korea, China, Japan, and a host of neighboring locales. Scantily clad women everywhere, but not humongous breasts. What were they thinking with Dead or Alive? Asian women don't have boobs. But they have nice eyes, so lasers will come out of them. As well as Pocky.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would make Psi Ops 2, because Midway is too dumb to make a game that would make fans of the original happy and one that could potentially save them from bankruptcy.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Gunner

A gears style third person shooter RPG were you play as an american indian with a bow.

Oh levio, how we miss you.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raven_squad
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"I would make Psi Ops 2, because Midway is too dumb to make a game that would make fans of the original happy and one that could potentially save them from bankruptcy."
Oooh... that would be awesome. What the fuck is wrong with Midway? They made a shitty sequel to the already shitty Area 51, but no Psi-Ops? No wonder they're going bankrupt I guess...  
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dalai

An RPG that I'd like... something like a mix of Persona and Earthbound, but more Americanized.

Or a 2D Metroidvania style game.

Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hausdog

A JRPG because I'm a shitty programmer and those take no technical skill whatsoever.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

A zombie dating sim. You get to be a guy or a girl zombie and are trying to get people to like you so you can score.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ValkyrieGoddess said:
"A zombie dating sim. You get to be a guy or a girl zombie and are trying to get people to like you so you can score."

That's a funny concept. I want to see that now.
DerkDigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DerkDigg

A free roam, third person, over the shoulder, shooter=]

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By atejas

3d non-combat oriented metroidvania.

Essentially a combination of Metroid Prime, Mirror's Edge and Silent Hill.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#40  Edited By Icemael

A 2D platformer with shooting, much like Mega Man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Horror, first person with no HUD and damage indicated by blurring of vision and perhaps limping movement. In terms of weaponry, would try to keep guns and projectile weapons to a minimum. Hopefully try to immerse the player in the game as much as possible for the right experience.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Linkyshinks

A RPG based on Osamu Tezuka's Buddha.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Red

A game like Power Stone, but with tons of players.

Budster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Budster

Man , I would make a vertical shooter. I kick it old school style lmao

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tireyo
Hausdog said:
"A JRPG because I'm a shitty programmer and those take no technical skill whatsoever."

Just use your imagination.  Everyone else is!  :D
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46  Edited By Hector

a Sci-Fi third person shooter!

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By adam_grif

So many choices.

I want to create a puzzle game where you play as the angel of death or some such nonsense. You get a target, and you have a five minute "window of opportunity" to arrange their death. You can slow down, stop, fast forward and rewind time as often as you like. You can only manipulate objects that nobody is looking at, and therefore you must arrange it so that inside this five minute period, the target and target alone is killed. When you turn on some kind of vision mode, you can see "Spear" thingies coming out of people's center of mass, donnie darko style, that indicate where they will be in x amount of time, so you can more easily plan for people's behavior.

There would be many solutions to each person.

Then I want to make a third person action game with a focus on more realistic swordplay (so more Assassin's Creed than Devil May Cry), in which you play as two alternating characters. Dark, mostly-realistic medieval setting, no magical or wierd stuff except for the main characters. 

Both characters are completely unable to be killed or die. The first character simply isn't killed and quickly recovers from wounds wolverine style. The second character appears to be perfectly mortal, however every time he "dies" or takes sufficient injury, time winds back to the point from which injury could be avoided, and no matter what he does he can't die. To other people, he appears to be an incredibly skilled and or lucky person, because they only see the final iteration of what happens, where he survives.

The former is reasonably ancient, and has outlived the last of his family and friends, and wants to die. Thus he goes around searching for some kind of McGuffin, generic sword or other artifact that can "kill anything" or some such thing. He kills people who get in his way, including character #2's generic motivation person. Character 2 is thus searching for it to kill the first guy with, and the first guy is searching with it to kill himself with. Neither character is aware of the other's motivation.

The first character is ahead of the second, with the second slowly catching up. The second usually has to do some stealth/action, going through ares the first guy recently went through tracking him down, sometimes taking alternate paths to avoid too much back tracking and reuse of art assets.

Theeeen I want to make a Real Time Strategy influenced by Company of Heroes and Act of War games, which are the best RTS games of recent history. I wish to improve upon the foundations layed by the geniuses who made them.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tireyo
adam_grif said:
"So many choices.I want to create a puzzle game where you play as the angel of death or some such nonsense. You get a target, and you have a five minute "window of opportunity" to arrange their death. You can slow down, stop, fast forward and rewind time as often as you like. You can only manipulate objects that nobody is looking at, and therefore you must arrange it so that inside this five minute period, the target and target alone is killed. When you turn on some kind of vision mode, you can see "Spear" thingies coming out of people's center of mass, donnie darko style, that indicate where they will be in x amount of time, so you can more easily plan for people's behavior. There would be many solutions to each person. Then I want to make a third person action game with a focus on more realistic swordplay (so more Assassin's Creed than Devil May Cry), in which you play as two alternating characters. Dark, mostly-realistic medieval setting, no magical or wierd stuff except for the main characters.  Both characters are completely unable to be killed or die. The first character simply isn't killed and quickly recovers from wounds wolverine style. The second character appears to be perfectly mortal, however every time he "dies" or takes sufficient injury, time winds back to the point from which injury could be avoided, and no matter what he does he can't die. To other people, he appears to be an incredibly skilled and or lucky person, because they only see the final iteration of what happens, where he survives. The former is reasonably ancient, and has outlived the last of his family and friends, and wants to die. Thus he goes around searching for some kind of McGuffin, generic sword or other artifact that can "kill anything" or some such thing. He kills people who get in his way, including character #2's generic motivation person. Character 2 is thus searching for it to kill the first guy with, and the first guy is searching with it to kill himself with. Neither character is aware of the other's motivation.The first character is ahead of the second, with the second slowly catching up. The second usually has to do some stealth/action, going through ares the first guy recently went through tracking him down, sometimes taking alternate paths to avoid too much back tracking and reuse of art assets. Theeeen I want to make a Real Time Strategy influenced by Company of Heroes and Act of War games, which are the best RTS games of recent history. I wish to improve upon the foundations layed by the geniuses who made them. "
I love the enthusiasm!  Very creative ideas.  That goes for everyone else too. :D
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Goly

A game based on Fight Club, where you would do missions for Project Mayhem and there would be fighting sequences a la Riddick.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King

I actually have ideas for 3 games (more or less gameplay framed around the story):

An MGS parody (self explanatory)
A semi-sequel to that, but it's a platformer with online co-op
An action RPG

They'd all be part of some sort of trilogy.