• 73 results
#1 Posted by NTM (7033 posts) -

#2 Edited by NTM (7033 posts) -

I'm not sure if this has been made before, but I don't think it has, and I am just curious. I should have asked "Will you let your child play any game they want?", or something, because since everyone plays games here (I think), they're probably going to know what a game is like without ESRB.

#3 Posted by Brother_PipPop (246 posts) -

33.3/33.3/33.3

#4 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

Thread's been made a few times already, but:

B. There's no ratings system in Ireland, anyway.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (34599 posts) -

If.

#6 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1868 posts) -

My parents never really questioned my game purchases based on ESRBs back in the day, so I doubt I'd do that with my kids. Playing crazy M-rated games as a kid growing into a teen practically taught me how to be mature, actually. It was either that or me frequenting in forums back in the day for some reason. Actually, in hindsight, that sounds very counterintuitive...

#7 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

Game by game basis, but I don't plan on having kids.

#8 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

This is a bit of tricky question for me so I went with B, because that's how my parents raised me with concern to games so instinctively I'd probably teach my child the same.

#9 Posted by YI_Orange (1071 posts) -

No I wouldn't. I'm informed enough to make those choices on a game to game basis without a committee.

#10 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

I am a parent and i have let my kids play games rated 18 before, i have no problem with it, for instance not sure what the rating is on GTA but my son just drives round in the cars he likes so its really no different than any other driving game for him, i make the decision on a game by game basis on my personal experience but for parents who maybe dont play games i imagine its a god send

#11 Posted by NTM (7033 posts) -

@That1BlackGuy: How is it tricky for you? And yes, I imagine a lot of people would do as their parents did, well, if video games were around at the time they were a child and this kind of thing was going on.

#12 Posted by WilliamHenry (1195 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

No I wouldn't. I'm informed enough to make those choices on a game to game basis without a committee.

#13 Posted by falserelic (4941 posts) -

B.

Growing up I've played violent games. I wouldn't mind my kid playing hardcore games if I ever have one.

#14 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Nope.

#15 Edited by Dick_Mohawk (367 posts) -

I would judge each game separately. ESRB is too much of a blanket when it comes to game content.

I wouldn't have a problem if a game is rated 18 due to drug use as long as the consequences of the drug use is part of it too.

Most kids know swear words nowadays and some use them more than adults so putting certain words behind an age wall wouldn't be an issue with a certain percentage of kids.

Common sense needs to prevail instead of the politically correct sanctimonious nanny squad committees dictating what 'they' think is appropriate so playing the game before your kids would be the best course from my perspective.

#16 Posted by Finstern (634 posts) -

@mandude: Ireland uses the European PEGI rating, I worked at Gamestop and the shops can get fined for selling to a minor without parental consent

#17 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Tricky may have not been the best word, but more so out of some societal obligation. However yeah as said before I nor my parents never really considered the ESRB when making gaming purchases so I guess in hindsight my stance really isn't that tricky afterall.

#18 Posted by Levio (1781 posts) -

I would probably just use my own judgment for each game. My real question to tackle is if I should guard them against bad games and Skinner-box addiction games or let each kid discover how pointless those shovelware games are.

#19 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

I wouldn't rely entirely on it but it would still be useful

#20 Posted by captain_clayman (3300 posts) -

Well it doesn't really matter for people like us because we'll probably still be into video games when we're adults and if we know a lot about the games it's easier to determine whether they'd be appropriate. the real problem is with parents who don't know anything about video games or the content in them (which is a slowly receding % of parents).

#21 Posted by JoeyRavn (4886 posts) -

@xobballox said:

Game by game basis, but I don't plan on having kids.

This. The option is missing from the poll, though. C. is as close as it gets, but I feel that deciding game-by-game is much more than just looking at the box and saying "well, this is M, so no game for you, 12-year-old" or "screw the ratings, go play GTA".

#22 Posted by medacris (611 posts) -

I'd use the ESRB as a guideline, and then watch some gameplay videos or play the game a little myself to decide on a personal basis whether my kid is mature enough to play the game. I'd also use the game as a springboard to discuss that certain things are totally not okay in real life, even if the video game allows or even encourages you to do them. And don't emulate the idiots you hear on voicechat.

I didn't grow up being allowed to play many video games, let alone violent ones. I can't say whether or not it affected me for better or for worse.

#23 Edited by believer258 (11039 posts) -

I plan on keeping up with video games for the rest of my life, so I'll probably be very much in the know as to what is and isn't suitable for my hypothetical future hellspawn. However, if there's ever a question I'll just Youtube it.

Besides, I hardly plan on keeping a tight rein on things. Ten year old wants to play Nondescript Gory Chainsaw Shooter Game 15: Redemption Resurrection? Eh, whatever, just use headphones so I don't have to hear the painfully written dialogue or the billionth unnecessary explosion.

EDIT: And as long as he pays for it. No, I am not buying my kids things willy-nilly, they will have an allowance and they will buy their own entertainment except during Christmas and birthdays and maybe a handful of other special occasions where I want to surprise them.

#24 Posted by kindgineer (2485 posts) -

I'm a parent and appreciate my parents for taking the small amount of time to research what wasn't good for me at a younger age. I wasn't part of the GTA group, nor was I a part of any other overly-violent or offensive content better suited for fully developed minds. However, I do wish that games like World of Warcraft (or maybe just MMO's in general) had a better ESRB rating to help parents become aware of "addictive" gaming.

#25 Posted by Hunter5024 (5170 posts) -

I would say B, but the qualifying statement afterwards isn't my reasoning behind it. I'd judge whether or not a game was acceptable for them on my own rather than letting the ESRB do it for me. I probably can't have kids though. And if I do they probably wouldn't have hands, so games won't be a problem.

#26 Posted by Gabriel (4050 posts) -

If I was a parent my kids would't play videogames.

#27 Posted by Ezakael (864 posts) -

I'd probably use it to an extent. I wouldn't want them to play extremely violent games like GTA or Gears of War when they were you young but at the same time I wouldn't restrict them heavily. I'd still let them play games that have fighting in it, I did and I didn't turn out bad. Just keep em away from the games that depict blood and guts flying everywhere.

#28 Edited by NathHaw (2748 posts) -

Saw a lady not buy her young son Smash Bros. Melee, because of the "teen" rating. He really wanted it too. Thought it was kinda dumb, and sorta wanted to say something. Not really my place though.

#29 Posted by SarcasticWisdom (3 posts) -

Yes. Wouldnt want them murdering some kid at school

#30 Posted by Clonedzero (3720 posts) -

no i wouldnt, if my kid wants a game i can do 20 seconds of research to find out if its suitable for them.

besides the ratings are so, well. pointless and inconsistant.

Skyrim and the witcher 2 are both M rated RPGs. i'd happily let a 12 year old play skyrim, i wouldnt really feel the witcher 2 is appropriate for a 12 year old

Halo and Gears are both shooters (granted difference between 3rd and 1st person but shut up), both are rated M. again, i'd happily let a 12 year old play halo, gears? eh thats alittle over violent with the constant gibbing and such.

Just Cause 2 and GTA4 are both sandboxy games. both are rated M, i'd let a 12 year old play Just Cause 2. not GTA4.

ratings are fucking worthless.

#31 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

You really need an option for "I'd use the ratings as a guide, but would make a decision as a parent based upon my understanding of the material and of my own kid(s)"

Also, that ( even though the ESRB doesn't exist in Australia - our ratings system is a bit more forgiving, barring the soon-to-be-fixed lack of an R rating.

#32 Posted by NTM (7033 posts) -

@captain_clayman: I don't know how old you are, but to you, when do we become adults? Ha ha.

#33 Posted by mlarrabee (2759 posts) -

"Other."

It'll be on a game-by-game basis, and on a child-by-child basis. I played Blood and Doom as a kid, but in my opinion, nearly all parents who let their eleven year-old play Grand Theft Auto IV are irresponsible idiots. "As long as he knows they're just digital hookers he's beating to death..."

#34 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

I really need to start following it, my son is really into taking his sword and fighting with it.

#35 Posted by j0lter (213 posts) -

My parents didn't care unless there was nudity in it. Otherwise i had free reign because i wasn't dumb enough to think i could get away with running a hooker over to get my money back. I will have the same belief with my kids.

#36 Edited by Milkman (16226 posts) -

I would be informed enough to know what I would and wouldn't be comfortable with.

#37 Posted by Jimbo7676 (700 posts) -

I have to go with other. I would use ESRB as an initial guideline but I know so much about games that I can easily research what is in a game and if I think it would not be suitable.

#38 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -

This has been made. Link But anyways I chose other, I would decide on what games they are allowed to play.

#39 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6375 posts) -

The ESRB was designed for parents that do not know enough about games to make a slightly informed decision about what games are appropriate for their children. However, given that I am fully knowledgeable about video games and can make informed decisions, the point of the ESRB rating becomes moot. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I really cared or even payed much attention to the ESRB rating. Maybe when I was younger and couldn't play them at all.

Would I let my child play anything he or she wants? Of course not. There will be boundaries based on the behavior and maturity of the child.

#40 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@NTM said:

since everyone plays games here (I think), they're probably going to know what a game is like without ESRB.

This'll be the way I'm judging things. If the new Zelda gets a T rating and my kid is 8, I'm not doing anything about that. Streets of Rage and its ilk might sneak by even earlier. But no, my kids aren't playing GTA until they're actually old enough to start rebelling against me and acting independently, which is at like 10 or 11 years old.

#41 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

ESRB serves its purpose, but a simple dose of common sense is also important. I played a fair number of games before I was the suggested age, but my parents were pretty strict about it too. Sometimes I could convince them I was mature enough to play. When I feel my child is mature enough, they will be allowed to play violent games, but until that point, I'll decide unless they can show me otherwise.

I don't like the idea of allowing a 10-11 year old to play Call of Duty. It isn't a matter of whether or not they will be somehow "messed up" or "damaged" by the experience, but rather that they lack the knowledge to understand the real life gravity of the thing that is being made into a trivial game.

#42 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

Oh, also, footnote; anyone else think it's amusing Enter the Matrix and Uncharted 2 were T-rated games? I actually am not sure about the other Uncharted games, but I think those are probably T-rated as well.

#43 Posted by SSully (4059 posts) -

I would use that as well as game sites to get an idea what the game is about. I am not opposed to my future kids playing violent video games, but I wouldn't want to start them off with something really violent.

#44 Posted by Mesoian (1570 posts) -

No, I'd play the game first, then decide.

#45 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

No, but I won't let them play whatever I want.

#46 Posted by MightyDuck (1434 posts) -

I would use my own judgement depending on how my kid behaves and acts. I played Doom all the time with my Dad growing up as a kid. I knew it was fake etc. The same goes with tv shows/movies. I remember the uproar that was South Park when I was in 5th grade. My parents let me watch it as long as I did not repeat the words used. I like to think I grew up to be a pretty productive member of society. It all depends on the child and also how the parent handles it.

#47 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

no, i don't think so. when i was a teen my parents bought me M rated games. i would take the mic though, as i don't want my kids to be one of those kids who yells into the mic.

#48 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

I've been playing games like Doom and Duke 3D since I was in second grade. My parents never policed any games that I wanted. I do not believe that people respawn. 

Ultimately, it comes down to the child's maturity, but, come on. Violent video games don't make children violent. People with violent predispositions will find violence in TV or movies (or even cartoons) if not video games.

#49 Posted by Zleunamme (609 posts) -

It doesn't matter, there are some parents who don't know that exist or care. I worked at the electronics counter at a retail store. Every tine I rung up an M-rated game. The register gives the age-restricted prompt and I tell the customer if they are aware that. Most of the time, they say, "fine or whatever". They will still buy the game.

ESRB does what it can to police the video game industry but I'm more bothered that the people who are give the ratings. They don't play the games and expect the publisher to provide them footage of the most offending parts. I'm not a parent and it is not my responsibility to raise other people's kids. I just hope kids are being taught to be responsible for their own action. They know that making bad choices have consequences. To know the difference reality and fantasy. I know that sounds like foolish idealism but I believe in hope. I can't worry about things I have no control over.

#50 Posted by d_breeze (223 posts) -

I wouldn't really use the ESRB. My parents pretty much let me watch and play whatever I wanted when I was younger since I was mature enough so I'll probably take the same route with my own children.