#1 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

If I somehow manage to design video games. I mainly would like to make survival horrors games. I want to bring original ideas to the genre and different gameplay mechanics. To bring original stuff that people hasn't seen before. But then again it depends how business is like in the game industry. I know there has to be alot more to it, and its going to be a hard expensive journey.

#2 Edited by falserelic (5407 posts) -

For me survival horror games is something I'm interested in making the most. I want to make original ideas that hasn't been done before.

#3 Posted by Shivoa (645 posts) -

Think of how all the mechanics would tie together, think about how you could make the smallest game that expresses those core ideas, and then try and see if you could do it.

Also, you don't meet a lot of game designers who want to make derivative designs that add nothing new to their genre. Saying you want to iterate on an established genre with new ideas that haven't been tried before doesn't really narrow down what you want to work on, what you want to explore, why you think there is untapped space that no one has tried before and which you can explore without the tens of millions of dollars it normally takes (budget $10k/month/person for pro development).

#4 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I. I want to make a game that is similar to Gta and Just Cause. An open world game. Where you could do whatever.

#5 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Shivoa said:

Think of how all the mechanics would tie together, think about how you could make the smallest game that expresses those core ideas, and then try and see if you could do it.

Also, you don't meet a lot of game designers who want to make derivative designs that add nothing new to their genre. Saying you want to iterate on an established genre with new ideas that haven't been tried before doesn't really narrow down what you want to work on, what you want to explore, why you think there is untapped space that no one has tried before and which you can explore without the tens of millions of dollars it normally takes (budget $10k/month/person for pro development).

Yeah games do cost alot of money. But nowadays I feel games lack in originality. I'm not saying all games but a few.

#6 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I. I want to make a game that is similar to Gta and Just Cause. An open world game. Where you could do whatever.

Damn, I forgot to add open world to the list. I was just playing sleeping dogs too I'm surprise I forgot to add that.

#7 Posted by Franstone (1156 posts) -

I'd love an open world game with a choice of 1st or 3rd person that also has some flight sim/driving sim dynamics instead of the usual arcadey stuff.

#8 Edited by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Franstone said:

I'd love an open world game with a choice of 1st or 3rd person that also has some flight sim/driving sim dynamics instead of the usual arcadey stuff.

A 1st to 3rd person open world game would be cool.

#9 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

EVERYTHING. Mostly because I can't see myself doing the same game for a decade. Props to those people who're still working on the high level stuff for COD/Halo/World of Warcraft/any other long-running franchise, because they clearly love what they do. Me? I don't think I could work on the same sort of game for more than four or five years.

#10 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

You ever play Metal Gear Solid? Ever notice the chemistry between both Snake and Otacon? How Otacon is somewhere offbase, safe in the comfort of whatever he's in the comfort of, collecting information in real time to present to Snake? And how Snake is there, infiltrating a base where he has to overcome a set of obstacles in order to get to the goal?

I've dreamed of a game for a long time, a co-op game. It's about this character, like Snake I guess, who's got a job to infiltrate bases or military installations(Something we haven't seen in a while, like large encampments of enemies instead of stupid goddamn office buildings and bunkers). Of course, there are things in his way, guards, security cameras, defense systems, offensive protection systems like turrets and mines in the floor.

Keeping up with the MGS tradition, sneaking is USUALLY the way to go. Maybe penalize the player by going in guns a blazing by locking off a section of the map and making him go all out during action scenes, I haven't quite dreamed that up well enough.

Then there's the co-op partner, who plays someone similar enough to Otacon in the sense that he's there via private communications channel and he can hack into the enemy network and obtain information that you could then relay to the infiltration character. But there would be interesting spins on it. You may think "Well, how could this even work?" Simple: Constant communication is a no-no. Instead of just being in a party with your buddy where you can talk until you turn blue in the face, the idea is that each player would have to call the other when they needed to. So instead of going along with co-op conventions of being a "SHOOT DUDES AND LAUGH WITH A BUDDY" it would be more of a "single player, but with a friend".

Now, the co-op character would probably be the most fun to play as. As he can hack into systems, disable or enable things, like laser traps, mine systems and even open doors. His primary source of keeping tabs on the other player is a dynamic menu system that displays things like stamina/heartrate, health, inventory. That way he can understand what's happening to the other guy in real time as it happens so he won't need to call to check in. Another way is to hack into security cameras and direct the player from there, since there won't be a radar system.

The idea is to stimulate one player by going into intense stealth action levels and to stimulate the other player by giving them intricate problems to solve while monitoring the other player at all times, and unlike most other games where when one character does something and a cutscene triggers with the C.O giving him new information on what just happened, it will be the priority of one player to contact the other and fill him in. It's dynamic too, to help with high replayability. Missions turning out different, goals changing mid game, new information becoming apparent. It's like Deus Ex or MGS, but instead of having player choice of walking around the parameter to find new ways in, you've got that alongside the notion that one character will be completely in the dark until his buddy fills him in.

It's my dream project. I'll obviously never have that opportunity, but I can dream, can't I?

#11 Edited by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@N7: That sounds like good ideas, but it kinda sounds similar to splinter cell.

#12 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Good ones. Most likely of the action adventure and rpg variety.

#13 Edited by pweidman (2364 posts) -

Something like the Space Engine driving the ability to travel in a galaxy and fight in space and on planets. Exploration would be essential, not just because of combat contingencies. An open galaxy, rpg shooter w/some strategy option layers via sp and mp. 4X influence for sure but much more story influenced. Realtime persistence as far as conquered zones too w/related resource rewards. Random enemy configurations based on universe dimension shifts.....booom! :))))

While I'm dreamin', cross platform accessibility at some lvl too, lol.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Turn based strategy RPG mixed with space sim.

#15 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Before I started I would have said linear narrative experiences, but so far most of what I've done has been fast paced, fun-oriented multiplayer games. The last one I did was a game about hookshotting around and destroying a building (among other things). Right now I'm doing a thing about cars with missiles.

But once I have a better sense of traditional game design I'll probably go back to looking at game narratives.

#16 Posted by cthomer5000 (868 posts) -

Money.

#17 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

I'd want to make a very niche sort of horror game. I would put a lot of emphasis on the "survival" part of survival horror.

#18 Posted by NTM (7546 posts) -

Something like MGS.

#19 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1482 posts) -

Open world game where you play as an oldschool Ninja in Modern Tokyo, that would be neat

#20 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -

Voted other, I'd prefer to make strategy games of some sort.

#21 Posted by 9999dmg (132 posts) -

I really don't have no preference when it comes to making games.