If your game uses an auto-save, please make sure it works.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'm finally getting around to finishing Origins before I try out Inquisition, as far as I know the auto save is supposed to kick in when you travel to a new area. Here is everything I did that I now have to redo (REALLY OLD POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR DA:O):

-Went into Castle Redcliffe.

-Saved the blacksmith's daughter.

(Auto-Save happens here when I enter the cellar)

-Got to the courtyard and opened the gate.

-Confronted Connor.

-Decided to ask the Circle of Mages for help.

-Left and got reward for saving blacksmith's daughter.

-Did A LOT of buying/selling equipment.

-Went to the campsite to enchant stuff.

-Decided to go back to earlier forests because I thought I could beat the Revenants I couldn't before.

-Met, fought, and gained Zevran as a new party member before I could get there.

-Made it to the forest, and died to the Revenant.

I have a bad memory for manual saving, I usually only remember to do it when I am turning off the game or want to test something. On top of that I'm playing on 360 so there's no F5ing, I have to go through multiple menus.

It leads me to wonder how in the Western high profile RPGs I do manage to get into (Elder Scrolls games have done this to me too), making sure the auto save isn't going to piss off the part of their audience that wants to be able to rely on it isn't a bigger priority.

The same should go for games in other genres that rely on an autosave, make sure the meat is fully cooked before you garnish and send it to the table.

This probably just sounds like a bad rant, but COME ON, look at how much cutscene-including story stuff I did that never triggered a save. I needed to vent.

*siiiiiigh*

Ok I'm done.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's an old school PC RPG - I don't know how you're NOT constantly saving in between each fight or each big story moment. That said, it certainly does suck when stuff that should be working simply isn't. I've never had a save file bug in my life and whenever I play a long RPG that only uses one save slot I always get paranoid it will get corrupt or something, which is why whenever possible I always keep multiple saves.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I seem to remember Dragon Age: Origins being pretty good with its autosaves. Pretty much before every major battle, after every cutscene or area transition there usually is an autosave. Granted I was playing it on PC so I don't know if it was different with the console versions.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By isomeri

I had Never Alone lose my auto-saves twice on the Xbox One. Their support person was incredibly helpful and nice, but I gave up on the game because I just didn't feel like trekking through the same sections for the third time.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mosespippy

I've had a similar problem with The Witcher not autosaving every time I leave an area. It doesn't bother me because at most I lose 20 minutes. Most of the time it's dialogue that I can rush through the second time around. I remember losing chunks of 3 or 4 hours in games like FFXII, RE2 and Persona 4. I know those games don't have autosaves, but if The Witcher didn't then I'd really be fucked.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Dragon Age Origins is one of those games that you should make manual saves in often, preferably after every fight. This is why I remapped quicksave to G.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Shit like that is why I'm a save whore

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I had GFWL eat my GTA IV save twice. Wasn't fun at all losing hours of progress like that

But yes if autosave is included in the game, especially if it's mandatory, it better work flawlessly

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd put in two alternating auto-saves. If one is lost, at least you still have one from farther back.