• 159 results
#1 Edited by mden2013 (28 posts) -

Breaking over twitter is news of IGN and 1UP layoffs. A tweet by Colonel Of Puppies Matt Rorie implies that he was bounced from Gamespy, an IGN site. Let us officially renew our calls for Rorie at Giant Bomb.

(#teamrorie or #teampuppies take your pick)

The tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/frailgesture/status/304658334949203968

#2 Posted by EXTomar (4487 posts) -

I am sure he is a nice guy but I don't believe Giant Bomb has room for any more journalists.

#3 Posted by Jackhole (357 posts) -

You're kidding! Let go twice within the span of 12 months? Poor guy. =(

I hope he comes here. We'll never leave him (again).

#4 Posted by UlquioKani (1025 posts) -

Already, he was only there for a couple of months. Shame. Hope he gets back on his feet.

#5 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

Wtf? He just joined! Dude can't catch a break. :(

#6 Edited by Coafi (1481 posts) -

@extomar said:

I am sure he is a nice guy but I don't believe Giant Bomb has room for any more journalists.

What? There's actually a lack of "journalists" here. We may have enough personalities for videos and podcasts, but not enough people writing content.

Poor Rorie, I'm sure he'll find another job soon enough.

#8 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Poor Rorie. What a huge bummer.

#9 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Poor Rorie :(

#10 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3727 posts) -

Dude can't catch a fucking break.

#11 Edited by EXTomar (4487 posts) -

@coafi said:

@extomar said:

What? There's actually a lack of "journalists" here. We may have enough personalities for videos and podcasts, but not enough people writing content.

What content is missing? What would this guy write about? I believe a major problem with the journalism side of the industry is content for the sake of content.

Or to put it another way: Maybe a problem with IGN/UGO/IGN is they had too many writers writing high volume/low quality stuff just for the sake of page clicks. Why should this site do that?

#12 Posted by GnsDemon (115 posts) -

Rorie is great. I'd love him in the giantbomb family. LETS DO IT!

#13 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Holy christ, he just got that job. Poor dude. :(

#14 Posted by Milkman (16514 posts) -

Wow, this is horrible. Fuck that.

#15 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -

Man I wish stuff would work out for Rorie. The Rambling Rories on Screened were depressing after Alex left. He works so hard.

#16 Posted by Bulby33 (546 posts) -

I continue to not understand why Giant Bomb doesn't just hire him as an editor. There's no better place for him!

#17 Posted by Seb (358 posts) -

Ziff Davis just bought the IGN group a few weeks back so I think they're cleaning house. Don't think 1UP or Gamespy will be around for much longer. Not even sure who is even still at 1UP now, just Jeremy? Sad for Rorie I think if there was any space for him here he would be hired on the spot.

#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

@extomar said:

What we DO have is a lack of Matt Rorie.

Anyway, I guess I can take Gamespy off my bookmark bar, it seems like I just put it there. I hope stuff works out for him.

#19 Posted by mden2013 (28 posts) -

GameSpot and CBSi actually have some positions open, including editor and producer gigs. If he landed here or at GS it would be fantastic. More Rorie, more puppies.

#20 Edited by Miketakon (513 posts) -

Poor Rorie.

#21 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

This makes me wander if GB as grown since the sell to CBSI. If it as than they could make a strong case for Rorie.

#22 Edited by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

Poor guy. He's got the worst luck.

#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4329 posts) -

That blows

#24 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Giant Bomb didn't hire him the first time, and they won't hire him out of feeling sorry for him.

#25 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@smilingpig said:

This makes me wander if GB as grown since the sell to CBSI. If it as than they could make a strong case for Rorie.

I believe someone asked Jeff about that on his tumblr and he made it pretty clear that they didn't currently have a position for Rorie at GB.

#26 Posted by cutyoface (541 posts) -

Hope he finds a new gig soon (hopefully at Giant Bomb).

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

Giant Bomb didn't hire him the first time, and they won't hire him out of feeling sorry for him.

No. I wish they'd never mentioned having "Interview Rorie" in the office on that Radio Hour. It got everyone's hopes up, only to be crushed by... businessmen, or something.

#28 Edited by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Rorie is one of maybe 2 personalities in the gaming industry who could come into the fold of Giant Bomb and not have half of you assholes bitching about him. I think that's reason enough to let him come in. Sara is gone, so they have the extra desk lying around. He'd be one more person I enjoy listening to for quick looks. I dont see why the fuck not.

#29 Edited by LTSmash (602 posts) -

He seems like a decent guy, hope he lands on his feet.

#30 Posted by NegativeCero (2975 posts) -

Who else could they possibly cut from 1up anymore, they have literally about 4 people left. Best of luck to those affected, including Rorie.

#31 Posted by datarez (538 posts) -

Really bummer news. #teampuppies !

I'd love to see him get back to GB, he seems like he'd be able to take on a lot of those RPGs that get skipped.

#32 Edited by zoozilla (977 posts) -

Man, I feel for the guy.

If anyone deserves to live a stable, happy life, it's Rorie.

#33 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

#TEAMRORIE

#34 Edited by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

Looks like some dude from Joystiq essentially offered him an interview, but yeah, I feel even worse for Rorie. Can't catch a break at all. Obviously I wish he was here but it seems like that would've already happened if it was going to. Still, a man can dream.

#35 Posted by TheMathlete (321 posts) -

God damn it. Poor Rorie

#36 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3727 posts) -

@funkydupe said:

No. I wish they'd never mentioned having "Interview Rorie" in the office on that Radio Hour. It got everyone's hopes up, only to be crushed by... businessmen, or something.

I thought they said that he stopped by after/before an interview. Not that he was interviewing there.

#37 Edited by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

I genuinely let out a ''the fuck?!'' when I read the thread title. Bloody sucks something awful that does. I actually even ''liked'' Gamespy on facebook purely to read whatever Rorie was writing; his last piece on there was a review for Crysis 3.

#38 Edited by Humanity (8798 posts) -

Imagine we got more write ups with varied games? That would be great. I appreciate what Patrick is doing but to me it's this weekly indie-grab-bag and I'm just never interested in any of it. Alex does his weekly state of the union articles which are pretty nice and if Rorie could do in depth write ups on current games that he's enjoying that would be really fun. Alas if they don't have the budget for the dood they don't have the budget and there's nothing to do about it. Don't look at me, I resubbed for another year, pay $50 to watch a grown man talk about video games in his underwear - I did my part.

#39 Edited by Seb (358 posts) -
#40 Edited by Mister_V (1188 posts) -

Man that sucks. Who is out at IGN? Or i guess im asking is Greg Miller ok?

#41 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

@funkydupe said:

I thought they said that he stopped by after/before an interview. Not that he was interviewing there.

They never clarified where he was interviewing, only that "interview Rorie" was here, which led to speculation and rumors and crushed dreams. We shouldn't have assumed he was interviewing for GB though, sure.

#42 Edited by EuanDewar (4745 posts) -

@humanity said:

Imagine we got more write ups with varied games? That would be great. I appreciate what Patrick is doing but to me it's this weekly indie-grab-bag and I'm just never interested in any of it. Alex does his weekly state of the union articles which are pretty nice and if Rorie could do in depth write ups on current games that he's enjoying that would be really fun. Alas if they don't have the budget for the dood they don't have the budget and there's nothing to do about it. Don't look at me, I resubbed for another year, pay $50 to watch a grown man talk about video games in his underwear - I did my part.

yo yeah this would be exactly why I want him here. remember when dark souls came out and the only person who talked about it was vinny and even he was reluctant as he had no one else to talk to about it and they had to get rorie in from a whole other website to write a massive article on it. thats exactly what this site needs.

#43 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

Bring back Rorie. Give him the title "Chief Puppy Editor," where his whole job is making people LOOKATTHOSEPUPPIES.

#44 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Giantbomb, a personality based website, that won't hire the personality its entire community wants.

#45 Posted by Gaff (1649 posts) -
#46 Edited by Pr1mus (3801 posts) -

Well that was quick. This sucks and maybe IGN should look into better running their business. They seriously didn't see these layoffs coming and went ahead and hired a new executive editor? I mean we're not talking a freelancer for a couple reviews.

#47 Posted by JJOR64 (18904 posts) -

Wow, that was fast.

#48 Edited by handlas (2658 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Well that was quick. This sucks and maybe IGN should look into better running their business. They seriously didn't see these layoffs coming and went ahead and hired a new executive editor? I mean we're not talking a freelancer for a couple reviews.

It happens. That happened at my previous job... we hired 4-5 new people and 2 months later half of us were laid off including all the new people. Some of which moved from other states which must really be annoying. Sucks for Rorie. Going through it once is bad enough but having to do it again is a shame. Best of luck to him.

#49 Edited by Gaff (1649 posts) -

@pr1mus: Rorie was hired before Ziff bought IGN/1UP/UGO and fired most of the staff. TWICE.

#50 Posted by Seb (358 posts) -

@pr1mus: They got bought by Ziff Davis a few weeks after Rorie got a job there.