• 159 results
#51 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Hope everyone that got fired gets a job soon. This is fucked up. :(

#52 Edited by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

Amazing they'll let people like Rorie go, but talentless bums like Greg Miller and Colin M. still have jobs.

#53 Posted by TheHT (10810 posts) -

He just got there!

*flips table* ECONOMYYYYYYYYYY

#54 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (503 posts) -

Poor Rorie. Poor people at Gamespy and 1UP. This sort of stuff is always a bummer.

#55 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1079 posts) -

This is not terribly surprising news. Ziff Davis bought IGN for the name, and there is no reason for them to keep open so many video game websites when you can just consolidate. Matt Rorie was a victim of terrible timing. He was hired a couple weeks before the buyout, and unfortunately the new guys are the easiest targets.

It makes you appreciate what CBSi is doing. They understand that Giant Bomb and GameSpot serve two different needs, and are letting the two exist in their own worlds.

The most shocking firing of the day was Colin Campbell, I would have never seen that one coming.

#56 Posted by Pr1mus (3779 posts) -

@gaff: @seb: I see.

Well that still sucks. Fuck Ziff Davis!

#57 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

FUCK

#58 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Damn, this sure hasn't been a great year for Rorie in terms of employment. I'd love to see him come to GB, but somehow, I don't see that happening.

#60 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

Yeah, I just heard on GAF along with Jose Otero from 1Up. :(

It sucks because I just started visiting Gamespy again if only to read Rories stuff.

#61 Edited by Svenzon (711 posts) -

Aw man, it feels really sad to see 1Up go. I really like most of the people there; Jeremy Parish, Bob Mackey, Jose Otero, Marty Sliva and Kat Bailey are all cool journalists. I hope they find work elsewhere, preferably together, so they can still make Retronauts. Great podcast.

#62 Posted by adoggz (2035 posts) -

Quick. Someone post lots of puppies so I don't feel so bad.

#63 Posted by Gaff (1637 posts) -

@svenzon: Only T-Frog is left there and I could've sworn Kat was already / has always been a freelancer (well, post-GamePro)?

#64 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

So Ryan Clements is out at IGN proper. He was okay. Of all IGN people to cut, I wouldn't have chose him.

#65 Posted by Shivoa (606 posts) -

@seb said:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/ign-layoffs/

1UP and Gamespy closing down is now confirmed.

Bad news all round, lots of decent writers (including the freelancers) having to look for someone else to write for and at some point gamespy.com and 1up.com will just redirect to IGN and their archive of years of work move to only being accessible through what was cached by Google and places like web.archive.org. I'm not sure when archive.gamespy.com was taken down but that used to go back well over a decade.

GameSpy were the first company to send me a foreign (for me) money pay cheque when I freelanced years ago and also to ship me out to meet developers. Very different times but I got to write about some cool things and meet some inspiration guys, not to mention getting dragged up to a passable standard of writing via the kind direction of my editors. It was almost 12 years ago I got to write about WoW. I'm sure a lot of PC gamers remember using the planet network of sites as a source of news and great articles.

It's a shame to see all that old content is going to vanish.

#66 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

1UP going away is crushing. The site's been slowly dying for a long time now, but seeing it actually shut down still hurts. It was so far ahead of its time, it's a tragedy Ziff Davis couldn't figure out how to make money off all that insanely good content they were making.

#67 Edited by Zaccheus (1784 posts) -
#68 Posted by Rotten_Avocado (82 posts) -

That sucks for everyone included :(
My only wish was that Greg Miller got canned. That guy sucks balls.

#69 Edited by ShaggyDude (136 posts) -

Ugh this sucks. Rorie's a gentleman and a scholar! I miss the Whiskey Media Happy Hour, but really I just miss Rorie and Ryan bullshitting about movies. His Dark Souls blog convinced me to give that game a shot, and I'm glad I did. The quick look for Dark Souls is still awesome. I just re-watched it. More Rorie in my giantbomb.com please.

#70 Edited by _Chad (962 posts) -

Let's all pool our money, start our own website, hire Matt. Profit.

#71 Posted by hollitz (1397 posts) -

I seem to recall Jeff saying that he eventually wanted to bring more people on staff. For fuck's sake please just make it Rorie. Sara's desk is free now right?!

#72 Posted by Brozik (20 posts) -

This is really too bad as 1up was a really sophisticated source of gaming articles and reviews, a less shitty version of IGN. Their reviews were well done and many times contradicted the mainstream opinion with thoughtful prose. Their podcasts were intelligent as well, something that was certainly a labor of love. It was a smart polished site and its really sad to see it go. Gamespy was another long time site, something I remember from back in the day when they were associated with all the planet sites.

R.I.P., lets hope zombies are real so these can come back.

#73 Posted by wrecks (2198 posts) -

If Rorie was at GB, there would already be a news story on the homepage about the 1up/gamespy closings.

#74 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

really sucks, but I honestly never understood why they kept gamespy around.

#75 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

Jesus Christ working in this industry has no upside at all.

#76 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

Why would they hire him just to fire him?

#77 Posted by Mister_V (1174 posts) -

@daveyo520: They didn't. They hired Rorie before Ziff bought the company. They had no idea this was going to happen at the time.

#78 Posted by Sanity (1890 posts) -

That blows, hope he finds something thats long term soon.

#80 Posted by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

Damn, and not even a freshly released Diablo III to gorge himself on the way he did last time.

#81 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

That really sucks. I wish Rorie the best of luck.

Maybe now he can start a website about his real interest: puppies.

#83 Edited by asurg (21 posts) -

I know its a bit non sequitur, and I also wish Rorie the best... but in going thru 1up before it all goes away, I found something I hadnt noticed before... that Patrick was the one who wrote 1up's article on Jeff and Gamespot years ago.

http://www.1up.com/news/gamespot-fires-editorial-director

#84 Posted by Grimluck343 (1146 posts) -
@canteu said:

Giantbomb, a personality based website, that won't hire the personality its entire community wants.

#85 Edited by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

@funkydupe said:

Giant Bomb didn't hire him the first time, and they won't hire him out of feeling sorry for him.

No. I wish they'd never mentioned having "Interview Rorie" in the office on that Radio Hour. It got everyone's hopes up, only to be crushed by... businessmen, or something.

I thought they said that he stopped by after/before an interview. Not that he was interviewing there.

That is what happened, but don't let the cruel nature of reality get in the way of their cries to hire him, oblivious to the whole "small team" thing being a core concept of GB business plan

#86 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Rorie wrote maybe the best article I've seen on this site as a guest writer. His skills would make this place much better.

#87 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

This site could use more content and Rorie is the person everyone wants.

#88 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

Out current news editor doesn't even do anything, we dont need another not doing shit.

PATRICK HATE WOOO

Rorie replaces Patrick and boom everyone is happy.

#89 Posted by Aaron_G (1610 posts) -

Poor Rorie, he always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hey GiantBomb hire Rorie.... its the right thing to do.

#90 Posted by Xerxes8933A (226 posts) -

I don't care about the Gamespy shut down one way or the other, but this sucks for 1up. I never actually read any of their articles, but I used to love listening to Active Time Bauble, Legendary Thread, In This Thread, 1UP FM, 4 Guys 1UP, 1Up Yours, The Oddcast. And of course, their best podcast every, GFW Radio.

Guess I'm gonna have to download a bunch of episodes before the site goes down.

#91 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

I feel I must include this video whenever there is a thread about Rorie:

#92 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1799 posts) -

Rorie should be features/retrospectives editor at Giant Bomb.

#93 Posted by Seb (358 posts) -

The golden era of 1UP is why I'm here today. I'll never forget that.

#94 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

I would renew my subscription for a healthy dose of Matthew Rorie. He doesn't deserve all of the misfortune that has fallen upon him.

#95 Posted by BrianP (387 posts) -

Goddammit I just want to see Matt and Ryan holding hands on a liveshow again!

#96 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I haven't followed much of 1UP since the first big round of firings a couple of years ago, but it was always staffed by great writers, who were capable of discussing the technical merits of the newest fighting games. I appreciated that.

#97 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

I'm sure there's a good reason why they don't but come on. Bring back Rorie. Everyone would love it. Sara is moving he could have her desk!

#98 Posted by theveej (811 posts) -

Maybe Rorie doesn't want to work at GB/Gamespot just as another reviewer/journalist....... I'm sure he got paid more being the editor at Game-spy rather than just a reviewer / journalist.

#99 Posted by ashkev (33 posts) -

I think GB could definitely use him specifically for games like Dark Souls. There are niches to fill within GB and he'd be a good dude to fill it.

#100 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

the boss of bosses would be wasted on half you ungrateful fuckers... look at how Patrick gets treated for god sake

hope he finds a job i really miss the matt rorie ran screened