• 159 results
#101 Posted by flasaltine (1694 posts) -
#102 Posted by Milkman (17176 posts) -

To all the people saying that Giant Bomb should hire Rorie, I don't think that the actual crew are the ones who get to decide these things. I'm sure they have some input but in the end, it's up to CBS. Either way, it's much more complicated than you guys are making it out to be.

#103 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mden2013 said:

A tweet by Colonel Of Puppies Matt Rorie implies that he was bounced from Gamespy, an IGN site.

He is ours.

#104 Edited by Rikkums (1 posts) -

He posted an update on his tumblr about it already at matthewrorie.tumblr.com. Get on there and show him some support, he's one of the most entertaining and interesting people to listen to and watch on camera and deserves much better.

@canteu said:

Giantbomb, a personality based website, that won't hire the personality its entire community wants.

#teamrorie #teampuppies

EDIT: broke my posting silence after all this time, and for quite a worthy reason if I do say so myself :)

#105 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Sucks about people losing their jobs.

Also poor Rorie because he's the only unemployed person in the world :(

#106 Posted by Picsl (203 posts) -

@mister_v said:

Man that sucks. Who is out at IGN? Or i guess im asking is Greg Miller ok?

Yeah, but Powerhouse is gone, Beyond is going to be pretty different going forward, I guess.

#107 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

losing a job suuuucks, sorry to hear about the layoffs. Best of luck to him.

#108 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

He wasn't there for long and it's a shame as I thought he would have been a great addition to a PC focused game website. Hope he finds a better site to work for fast.

#109 Edited by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Guy cant catch a break, hope he finds work soon.

#110 Posted by djames216 (381 posts) -

@bulby33 said:

I continue to not understand why Giant Bomb doesn't just hire him as an editor. There's no better place for him!

I continue to not understand why people think Giant Bomb is the only gaming website in existence and they insist that <insert former gamespot / whiskey media employee here> should be employed by them.

#111 Edited by Rorie (3169 posts) -

Fun while it lasted! Thanks for the positive thoughts. I'll land on my feet, I'm sure. After the hectic month of work I put in, I honestly feel like I probably deserved a vacation anyway.

Staff
#112 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Wtf? He just joined! Dude can't catch a break. :(

Seriously, that's awful. The thread on this site when he got the job were pretty much saying 'good, seems like he has job security and isn't just freelance." Then this happens.

#113 Posted by evanbower (1216 posts) -

Rorie is one of maybe 2 personalities in the gaming industry who could come into the fold of Giant Bomb and not have half of you assholes bitching about him. I think that's reason enough to let him come in. Sara is gone, so they have the extra desk lying around. He'd be one more person I enjoy listening to for quick looks. I dont see why the fuck not.

All of this.. Rorie is just a great guy and I miss his personality in or around my Giant Bomb.

#114 Edited by PenguinDust (12600 posts) -

Sad but that's today's topsy-turvy job market. Jeff Cennata formerly of The Totally Rad Show was let go there a couple of months ago and now he's on Always On! with Molly Wood. Adam Sessler left G4 to bring his talents to Revision3. Rorie will find something somewhere, but it might not be his dream job. It will be a job and sometimes that's all you can ask. Welcome to the rest of us.

#115 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -

Sucks about Rorie. If GB ever does decide to expand I hope both he and the crew see a good case for him working here.

I don't hate IGN as much as most people do here, but I'm surprised that they have gone on this long with that big of an editorial staff. They pump out a bunch of fluff articles that get a lot of page views, but the declining revenue received from ads will inevitably buckle under the number of writers they employ. Gaming sites are no longer the funnel that brought news to gamers from the developers. The number of bloggers and Youtube personalities out have decentralized the news stream. Hell, with Youtube the publishers themselves can bypass gaming outlets all together and go straight to their audience. It's now all about staying small and creating content that finds its own place with the plethora of similar information that finds its way to this niche community of people who play video games. The GB live feed of the Playstation Meeting is a perfect example. Every gaming site had that Ustream video embed on their site, but only Giant Bomb had their staff go MST3K while watching the event.

#116 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@extomar said:

I am sure he is a nice guy but I don't believe Giant Bomb has room for any more journalists.

Am I really one of the few that agrees with this sentiment? There are enough articles already. They don't really do a ton of interviews and I doubt hiring Rorie would diversify anything. They simply have no need for him on their staff, and hiring someone out of pity is a fucking terribly way or running a business like Giant Bomb's.

#117 Posted by streetninja (157 posts) -

I'd like to see Rorie back with the crew, but I'd also like them to higher another person to help on the production side of things.

#119 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

I think the site could really use Rorie. Right now Vinny is the only person that ever seems to stray from the norm with his gameplaying tastes and it would be great to have Rorie there for him to discuss things with on the Bombcast or during Quick Looks.

#120 Posted by Aetheldod (3682 posts) -

@rorie: rorie you are an awesome duder !!!!! My best wishes for you man :D

#121 Posted by TruthTellah (9398 posts) -

@rorie: That's so awful, Rorie! We at Giant Bomb still think you're more precious than a bundle of newborn puppies. I sincerely hope that you'll find a new job somewhere else where they will appreciate all that you offer.

#122 Posted by pweidman (2351 posts) -

Bad news for sure. This industry is obviously pervious to the economy like most these days.

Anyway, I'd like to add to the chorus of those who want GB to hire Rorie. I would love to watch him do quicklooks on anything and everything. He's such a bright, talented and well spoken duder, that any site would be better adding him. Just remember his Dark Souls QL. Freaking loved that business.

#123 Edited by Demoskinos (15097 posts) -

Ziff Davis needs to like, quit buying shit because they always end up shuttering whatever companies they do buy. Ugh. Sucks that Rorie got caught up in this mess. I hope a few minutes of properly petting puppies can make him feel better until a new job is on the way.

#124 Edited by Marz (5666 posts) -

lame, Giantbomb just hire him and let him play MMO's and cover them for the site :P or w/e else he wants to do. He's just too talented to be tossed around.

#125 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1472 posts) -

GIantbomb needs a movie editor! come on relive the dream!

#126 Posted by RawknRo11a (568 posts) -

damn, hate to hear that. Rorie is a cool guy.

#127 Edited by Tidel (360 posts) -

I don't know from this Rorie guy, but I think GB could stand to have more content.

Sad about 1UP. I finally abandoned it last year when it became Kotaku Parish. In its heyday, it was the best of all gaming sites.

#128 Posted by Dunchad (502 posts) -

@azteck said:

@extomar said:

I am sure he is a nice guy but I don't believe Giant Bomb has room for any more journalists.

Am I really one of the few that agrees with this sentiment? There are enough articles already. They don't really do a ton of interviews and I doubt hiring Rorie would diversify anything. They simply have no need for him on their staff, and hiring someone out of pity is a fucking terribly way or running a business like Giant Bomb's.

Agreed. If anything, I wish they'd hire more people to run other things, so we could have Vinny, Drew and Dave appear in more content.

#129 Edited by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Ryan Clements out too. Love that guy...

#130 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:

@toowalrus said:

@funkydupe said:

Giant Bomb didn't hire him the first time, and they won't hire him out of feeling sorry for him.

No. I wish they'd never mentioned having "Interview Rorie" in the office on that Radio Hour. It got everyone's hopes up, only to be crushed by... businessmen, or something.

I thought they said that he stopped by after/before an interview. Not that he was interviewing there.

That is what happened, but don't let the cruel nature of reality get in the way of their cries to hire him, oblivious to the whole "small team" thing being a core concept of GB business plan

Awe, come on, I'd appreciate it if you'd at lease read the follow-up post where I totally said we shouldn't have assumed Rorie was interviewing for GB before implying I'm some kind of crying baby. Anyway, Jeff's been talking about hiring new people on Jar Time for awhile now, and has said he'd love to work with Rorie again in the future, but unmentioned "real world issues" have stood in the way.

#131 Posted by probablytuna (3799 posts) -

Damn it man :(

#132 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Gah, that sucks.

#133 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

@mister_v said:

Man that sucks. Who is out at IGN? Or i guess im asking is Greg Miller ok?

Yeah, but Powerhouse is gone, Beyond is going to be pretty different going forward, I guess.

Holy shit how the fuck did they shit can one of the biggest personalities on the site? That would be like CBSi firing Brad from Giant Bomb. Man, that is a bummer.

Also when the fuck is poor Rorie going to catch a break? And then Anne Lewis and Mikel Reparez are also out of work right now and Micheal Grimm is just straight up no longer writing about video games and got a different job. Man, video game journalism does not look like a good gig right now.

#134 Posted by Zleunamme (696 posts) -

I wish Matt Rorie and rest of the folks who got laid off the best of luck. Hopefully landing in at better place. Its sad that 1UP has come to an end. I came to that site after OPM was shut down. I loved watching the 1UP show and listening to their various podcasts. It is was disheartening to see talented people let go after the 1Upocalypse. Rebel FM and the Geekbox is the reason why I migrated towards Giant Bomb.

#135 Edited by ArchTeckGuru8 (230 posts) -

This is a sad situation for all involved.

But lets give ign props for keeping askmen, known for such hits as

"The style bible"

and

"From the bar to the bedroom"

and other ... oh god kill me now

#136 Posted by AuthenticM (3786 posts) -

Why isn't Giant Bomb hiring him ? Jeff has been saying for a while that they were thinking about hiring a new person.

#137 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2071 posts) -

@authenticm: I'm not usually one to speculate but, maybe they don't like him as a co-worker?

#138 Posted by Fobwashed (2166 posts) -

Rorie is one of maybe 2 personalities in the gaming industry who could come into the fold of Giant Bomb and not have half of you assholes bitching about him. I think that's reason enough to let him come in. Sara is gone, so they have the extra desk lying around. He'd be one more person I enjoy listening to for quick looks. I dont see why the fuck not.

When I read that, I totally thought you meant she was GONE gone. -_-;;

Anyway, I love me some Rorie as much as the next duder, but if GB had room or a position for him, I'm sure he'd be at Giant Bomb. I'm not sure what GB needs at the moment, but what it doesn't really need is more people on quick looks or the bombcast which leaves articles which I hope Alex and Patrick will start putting out more frequently. If he came, I'd be happy but as it stands, dunno what he'd bring to the table at this site in particular.

While I feel like the best person should always be hired for the job, I do also feel like there isn't anyone on staff right now that isn't a middle-aged white dude. If I were to see someone come in to add diversity, I'd like either some sort of foreign correspondent (Japan or Europe) or maybe even a female to lend some feminine perspective. But like, only if they're qualified in all areas and not just in for being not the same as everyone else -_-;;

#139 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

@fobwashed: They do host 8-4 for the japanese content at least.

Anyway with Dave and Drew doing less content lately I think there's a lot of room for Rorie, he's by far one of the best members of the old Whiskey crew. He's a great writer, a great personality and a damn nice duder.

#140 Posted by Fobwashed (2166 posts) -

@zfubarz maybe I put it down wrong -_-;; Rorie is my first choice, but I feel like he would've been picked up if it was gonna happen already =\

#141 Edited by Arthurd (41 posts) -

I don't know if it's been said yet but Giantbomb please hire Jeremy Parish. We need a real Old School/RPG guy on this site.

#142 Posted by Nev (558 posts) -

Such a shame. Though I doubt he ever ends up at Giant Bomb, I do hope he shows up in some future content as a guest, if nothing else. Such a great duder.

#143 Posted by rentacop (107 posts) -

"The style bible"

and

Does askmen really get a significant amount of traffic other than for the yearly top 99 women list? Then again maybe that's all they need. :(

#144 Edited by Rorie (3169 posts) -

@rentacop said:

@archteckguru8 said:

"The style bible"

and

Does askmen really get a significant amount of traffic other than for the yearly top 99 women list? Then again maybe that's all they need. :(

It is apparently a very, very sizable website in terms of traffic. No, I don't get it either. The worst part of my orientation was watching the video those guys put together to explain what AskMen was.

Staff
#145 Posted by Arthurd (41 posts) -

I don't think this Matt Rorie guy would fit in at Giantbomb. I don't think anyone at Giantbomb likes puppies.

#146 Posted by dudeglove (8142 posts) -

Why you people both like and encourage his quasi-bestial behaviour escapes me.

#147 Posted by myketuna (1735 posts) -

Already told the man on his blog, but I'm with @Rorie all the way. Even if it means freelance work for BuzzFeed or Yahoo Movies or some stuff like that.

Why you people both like and encourage his quasi-bestial behaviour escapes me.

It's all in good fun. At least, I think it is...

#148 Posted by ArchTeckGuru8 (230 posts) -

@rorie said:

@rentacop said:

@archteckguru8 said:

"The style bible"

and

It is apparently a very, very sizable website in terms of traffic. No, I don't get it either. The worst part of my orientation was watching the video those guys put together to explain what AskMen was.

Now thats a video that should probably be on youtube

#149 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2477 posts) -

Why isn't Giant Bomb hiring him ? Jeff has been saying for a while that they were thinking about hiring a new person.

I don't know man. I feel both the old WM sites are constantly at the verge of being shut down by CBSi, so hiring new dudes likely won't fly with the higher-ups.

#150 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

@tidel said:

I don't know from this Rorie guy, but I think GB could stand to have more content.

Sad about 1UP. I finally abandoned it last year when it became Kotaku Parish. In its heyday, it was the best of all gaming sites.

What do you mean by "Kotaku Parish"?

I'm not a 1up member, but I think the site had some very well-thought out articles by the likes of Jeremy Parish, Jose Otero, Bob Mackey, and Ray Barnholdt. I'm actually going out of my way to download the entire Retronauts back catalog now. The site will be sorely missed.