• 54 results
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By OGCartman

I love these kind of things that IGN dose.

Gears Of War 2 vs Halo 3
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/934/934644p1.html

Try to read it, not just read the winner and rant :)

I think both games are phenomenal, but agree that Halo 3 has better MP and Gameplay. Both games excel in each category though. But im going with Halo 3 due to the fact it just feels much funner.

Thoughts? Your opinion on winner?

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I love  VS stuff

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By OGCartman
Tarsier said:
"In before 'halo haterz'."
Ya, this will probably just end with a bunch of people hating on Halo.
I really hope not though.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By daniel_beck_90
never ending battle
never ending battle
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

I disagree with their final verdict. Halo single player is a mediocre experience and online is only fun because it's so packed and has good community features. Halo is otherwise the most mediocre shooter with sub-par graphics. Gears 2 on the other hand is superb in all respects - and this is from someone who only owns a PS3.

PS - Should be noted, that yes I only own a PS3, but have played a ton of both these games with my friend.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By daniel_beck_90
LiquidPrince said:
"I disagree with their final verdict. Halo single player is a mediocre experience and online is only fun because it's so packed and has good community features. Halo is otherwise the most mediocre shooter with sub-par graphics. Gears 2 on the other hand is superb in all respects - and this is from someone who only owns a PS3.

PS - Should be noted, that yes I only own a PS3, but have played a ton of both these games with my friend."
that is what I call a logical response
exactly ,  Gears of war 2 is much better in all aspects
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I think, ultimately, I agree with IGN's verdict--the gameplay does feel a bit tighter in Halo 3 than in Gears, and less wonky stuff happens less often.  I still love Gears to death, but I think the website did a surprisingly good job of staying balanced.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Relys

The multiplayer in Halo 3 was ok, but free for all games suck ass, the weapons are overbalanced, and the initial release consisted of a handful of generally uninspired multiplayer maps.  Halo 3's gameplay was created for n00bs in mind.  Half of the time I'm screaming at my TV in anger of the skill involved, or lack thereof.

Gears of War 2 took a step forward in franchise, whereas Halo 3 took two steps back in the Halo trilogy.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Discorsi
Relys said:
"Halo 3's gameplay was created for n00bs in mind.

Half of the time I'm screaming at my TV in anger of the skill involved, or lack thereof."
Then why are you screaming.  You should be tearing up all the noobs who think they are so good because they have a 3.0  or k/d ratio and consistently own you.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Discorsi said:
"Relys said:

Half of the time I'm screaming at my TV in anger of the skill involved, or lack thereof."
Then why are you screaming.  You should be tearing up all the noobs who think they are so good because they have a 3.0  or k/d ratio and consistently own you."
Sometimes, I scream just to give my vocal folds an exercise. 

I also scream at Halo, however.  Mostly because I'm terrible at it.
Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Fosssil
Discorsi said:
"Relys said:

Then why are you screaming.  You should be tearing up all the noobs who think they are so good because they have a 3.0  or k/d ratio and consistently own you."
The skill gap between "pro" and "noob" in Halo 3 is dramatically smaller than in Halo 2, and Halo 2's skill gap was dramatically smaller than Halo: CE. The Assault Rifle, for example, isn't a balanced starting weapon as many claim it to be -- it's an easy to use, pick up and play weapon that was designed to make the game more accesible to the brand new players who joined the series later than others. The fact that the rest of the game was built around the AR as the primary gun destroyed much of the other gameplay elements that made the game skillful in previous incarnations.

Still, I'd have to say that I prefer Halo's multiplayer to Gears 2's, although I thought the Gears 2 campaign was much more enjoyable than Halo's.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sometimes I forget how much I've loved the Halo series, but I must say Gears has been a nice change of pace for me. I've never been too crazy about the original Gears, but I really loved the sequel. However, I really can't imagine myself spending much time with it online. As far as playing games online goes, Halo is pretty much the only game for me. I haven't played it in months, but no doubt I'll go back to it again and again over the next couple years. While I prefer Gears 2's campaign over Halo 3's, I'd still say Halo 1's beats them all.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By pause422

Gears 2 is far better than halo 3, and I don't even think gears 2 is THAT good.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin

Man, that movie makes me want to play some more Halo 3. 

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By KamasamaK
LiquidPrince said:
"I disagree with their final verdict. Halo single player is a mediocre experience and online is only fun because it's so packed and has good community features. Halo is otherwise the most mediocre shooter with sub-par graphics. Gears 2 on the other hand is superb in all respects - and this is from someone who only owns a PS3.

PS - Should be noted, that yes I only own a PS3, but have played a ton of both these games with my friend."
Couldn't agree more. Though I'd say Gears' story is not superb, and I'd even go as far as to say Halo's story is better though neither one is that great imo.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rowr

As much as i prefer Gears of War 2, Halo 3 wins due to the fact i can get into a multiplayer game in less than 20 mins. (only takes 10 mins in halo.)

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By keyhunter

Until Bungie does something about Halo 3's net code, I'm not playing that shit.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
"Until Bungie does something about Halo 3's net code, I'm not playing that shit."

Umm... you realize we're comparing Halo to Gears, right?
Gears is the biggest mess ever when it comes to that.

And hell, Halo really isn't laggy.

I'm not going to argue about the topic as it's subjunctive and well, really, this is a general forum afterall, and everyone's bound to hate halo when in reality people are already moving back to halo 3 on live (according to numbers)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

This was fucking dumb. Two different games, one first person the other third person, one bloody, the other not at all... Popular websites just do this to get the fanboys raging, and everyone enjoyed Gears the most as it is far more complex.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Snail said:
"This was fucking dumb. Two different games, one first person the other third person, one bloody, the other not at all... Popular websites just do this to get the fanboys raging, and everyone enjoyed Gears the most as it is far more complex."

Wait, what? Think about real life.  Who actually says Gears is better than Halo?  I'm not saying you can't have a different opinion, but hell, it's proven wrong just by me, my dormate, and every single one of the guys around here (everyone enjoyed it more is what you said).

And anyway, how is gears more complex?  It all boils down to doing the same couple actions.  Halo actually has techniques that are more than just a head-on combat strategy.
Most people seem to be gravitating back towards halo again (not that gears put such a large dent in it). 

- To be honest, I think the only people who like Gears  more, for the most part, ride the "halo hate" bandwagon and want a good FPS to play.  It's really only, again, on the internet though seeing as how you'll have people who don't even have the game (take liquidprince for example) making of 2/3 of this population. 
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By shadows_kill

gears 2>halo 3.

i have only played halo 3 but still i would rather play gears 2. even though i found gears 1's story uninteresting when i played at a friends house BUT i would rather do a hide and fire game then a normal fps

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ma7moud

What ? Gears 2 Gameplay is so much better than Halo 3 Gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i own both and I feel that Gears single player tops Halo 3's by a long shot, however Gears multiplayer modes feel slow and boring, Halo feels like a more polished package.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By MKHavoc

I feel Halo 3's multiplayer is better and Gears 2's campaign is better.  Campaign is more important to me just because I enjoy it more.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crunchUK
"Halo 3 may not span the same array of gameplay variants as Gears 2..."

slayer, team slayer, oddball, ctf, team oddball, assault, neutral bomb, one bomb, one flag, territories, land grab, juggernaut, infection, crazy king, mosh pit, team crazy king, tesm snipers, SWAT, MLG, multi team, VIP, rocket race, etc. and the thousands and thousands of variants of these

vs

meatflag, guardian, warzone, execution, annex, wingman

??????????????????????

wtf am confirmed

anyway, halo 3 simply has "more than" gears 2 in every regard: variety, depth, replayability AND the GODLY thing known as forge and community files - seriously there's fucking puzzle maps to racetracks and obstacle courses.
lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By lvl10Wizard

Haha call me a hater but I think both games are just as crappy as each other, in different but perfecly balanced ways :)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Snail
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Snail said:
"This was fucking dumb. Two different games, one first person the other third person, one bloody, the other not at all... Popular websites just do this to get the fanboys raging, and everyone enjoyed Gears the most as it is far more complex."
And anyway, how is gears more complex?  It all boils down to doing the same couple actions
Halo boils down to always doing the same one.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

I love both, and Halo 3 is sort of a better game in some respects, but I had more fun with Gears 2.  Both are great, nonetheless.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Snail said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Snail said:
And anyway, how is gears more complex?  It all boils down to doing the same couple actions
Halo boils down to always doing the same one."
And that would be?
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK
Snail said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Snail said:
translation: i don't have a clue as to what i'm on about.
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bjorno

halo 3 has a JUMP BUTTON

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sushbag
LiquidPrince said:
"I disagree with their final verdict. Halo single player is a mediocre experience and online is only fun because it's so packed and has good community features. Halo is otherwise the most mediocre shooter with sub-par graphics. Gears 2 on the other hand is superb in all respects - and this is from someone who only owns a PS3."
I agree that Gears of War 2 is superb in all respects, but I submit that your statement be clarified and elongated, for those that may not be familiar with the series. The proper statement is, "Gears 2, on the other hand, is superb in all respects if you're 13, and know nothing about games." Fixed, you're welcome.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
crunchUK said:
"Snail said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Snail said:
translation: i don't have a clue as to what i'm on about."
No, let him explain before that.
While it is damn clear that Halo is so friggen varied and deep, if he simply can't play the game well he might feel that way.

Afterall, Halo is the reason for MLG which is the largest competitive gaming league.  Gears is a small game there.

But to make it fair, I'll explain mine:  Gears 1 was all about shotgun and roll.  Gears 2 is all about camping out and planting a couple a smoke so if someone tries to flank you, they'll be paralyzed and youll have enough time to kill them.   Then the shield is basically invincibility.  Grabbing a person is temperate invincibility (both if you face your targets).  There really is no other strategies.  While you could play it in a funner way of taking cover and shooting and progressing, it just doesn't work nearly as well.
I like horde mode, probably my favorite part about the game, but the multiplayer was not balanced.
And the maps don't even play differently aside from different weapons.... ahh.... there's barely any games which actually do, so I'll give it a break.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
bjorno said:
"halo 3 has a JUMP BUTTON"

And it's one of like the 3 shooters to actually have it for a reason, lol.
If you don't use the jump button for shortcuts and general evasion, you = suck

It also allows for maps like Blackout and whatever. 
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kmdrkul

At the end of the day, for me, Halo 3 wins because of its longevity.  I bought it the first month it came out, and can still play the multiplayer to this day both by myself and with friends.  I got tired of Gears 2 relatively quick and only enjoy playing the Horde mode now.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Karmum

I'm not exactly for comparing a third person shooter and a first person shooter, but I will keep this as unbiased (in the sense I have a distinct hatred for the Halo franchise), as I possibly can. So, here is my take.

Graphics: While Gears of War 2 is visually spectacular and clearly is the winner, Halo 3 still looks great too. Architecturally it is visually appealing and graphics isn't what has made the Halo franchise the force that it is today. Even though Gears of War 2 is still quite gritty, it is more ambitious in the sense it definitely has more color, in contrast to the disdain monochromatic-like saturation of the first Gears of War.

Winner: Gears of War 2

Story: Again, not surprised Gears of War 2 won. Probably in one of the more slimmer margins, because the Halo franchise isn't about the single player campaign (in my opinion), and the story in Gears of War 2 isn't a technical achievement in comparison. Gears of War 2 has a longer (and maybe you can argue more challenging) and compelling story than Halo 3, but I won't detract much from the story Halo. Then again, do you want to play a co-op campaign or a 4-player co-op? Honestly, I don't think many people played the single player mode to just play it -- you want to know the ending to this trilogy.

Winner: Gears of War 2 (barely)

Sound: A big toss-up here, and this is where I give the soundtrack in Halo 3 its credit. Probably one of the better aspects on Halo 3 (in my opinion), and that is the soundtrack. It is quite spectacular, to say the least. The voice-acting is passable, and gun sounds and explosions sound appropriate as well. Everything flows well enough. Gears of War 2 is also nice to hear, screaming from the locust hordes is intimidating, and guns ricocheting off bodies and all over the place is great. Screaming from the characters in intense situations. Voice-acting is good, and the war-like orchestra is also great to hear, which originally appeared in the first Gears of War 2 game.

Winner: Halo 3

Gameplay:
The Halo franchise has that addicting feel to it that makes gamers come back to it again and again. Even when high profile games appear to eliminate Halo 3 from existence. It seems like blasting some fool with an assault rifle or planting them with a plasma grenade was never more satisfying, and energy swords...enough said? Gears of War 2 plays great, as well. Chainsawing some fool online (or some fucking locust), is intense as ever, even if the blood seems to have some cartoonesque to it. With more options to take down your opponents (meatshields, curb stomps, weapon-specfic executions, normal executions), the combonations are more varied from the original game. Since Gears of War 2 is emphaized heavily on a cover system, you will not have that run-and-gun feel from Halo 3.

Winner: Tie

Matchmaking:
Bungie pretty much defined matchmaking with Halo 2, and Gears of War 2 attempted to perfect it (attempted is the key word). Gears of War 2 matchmaking can be described as flat-out broken, to working every now and then. However in my opinion, Halo 3 isn't off the hook either. While the matchmaking is more fluid and quicker in Halo 3, the true-skill matchmaking is utter bullshit, because you are almost never matched with people that are as skilled as you. Comprehensive stattracking and how you play the game should be incorporated (more run-and-gun people and team-based people should be grouped together). With Gears of War 2's matchmaking being utter shit (for the most part), I'll give this to Halo 3.

Winner: Halo 3

Multiplayer:
I never found Halo 3's online component to be extradonary, or having redefinded multiplayer, but clearly millions of people seem to disagree. Whatever the case is, Halo 3 is going to be played until the next Halo FPS game, and will be in the top 10 most played. Nuff' said. Even though the matchmaking in Gears of War 2 (and Halo 3), isn't exactly perfect by any means, Gears of War 2 still has a great online component. Disregarding the matchmaking in this section (since I already outlined my opinion in the last section), Gears of War 2 has several different game modes to choose from and buddying up with your friends is a great plus. Since the first Gears of War 2 game did not sport this. Trash-talking is even more present, and most of the maps are great, and playing with some of the more liked Gears of War 1 map's are awesome as well. While the common "host advantage" and "lagging" arise (in every game), it hardly detracted me from the experience I have had with the multiplayer in Gears of War 2. Just in case you don't want to play online, you can set up bots and test your might offline. With Halo 3 lacks a bot mode and only can have 4 players to a console, unless you want to system link. Which is soooo last generation.

Winner: Gears of War 2 (I'm expecting butthurt users)

Overall Winner: Gears of War 2

This is stricly my opinion, so don't get all butthurt when your FPS game doesn't get its coveted recognition (because it isn't that great). I probably gave the game more recognition than I normally would have, because I don't want to be bias. This is where I expect users to backlash me and try to convince me with the "still being played by many online" and "No.1 almost week in and out." It won't work.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Karmum said:

This is stricly my opinion, so don't get all butthurt when your FPS game doesn't get its coveted recognition (because it isn't that great). I probably gave the game more recognition than I normally would have, because I don't want to be bias. This is where I expect users to backlash me and try to convince me with the "still being played by many online" and "No.1 almost week in and out." It won't work.
"
karmum, you're probably the epitome of someone who likes  gears of war more than halo.  Not saying that it's bad or anything, but looking at your stats, you're a lieutenant grade 1 in halo and you only play slayer and swat and you have yet to even beat the campaign
you can't complain about not getting matched will players to your skill level when you're below the bottum of the pool.  It's like finding a tennis match that a cat can play

Obviously I can't talk for your gears 2 games as I can't see them, but do you ever consider that maybe you just suck at Halo so you gravitate to a more easy game to play (gears of war does have a significantly lower barrier of entry in it's multiplayer, single player isn't- then again, i haven't played casual or normal to test it out)

I'm not telling you what you should an shouldn't like, but after reading that which caused me to check your stats (i was checking my profile there so it was already open) and it really does seem you just, well, indeed fall into that category that sucks at halo.

I don't want this to come off as a "oMg!  u dNt lIKe tEh Halo, you SUCK!" but sometimes it's just true.  I personally despised DDR until I was able to play on medium (although why I played enough to be able to play medium is based on a $ bet)
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Karmum said:

"
karmum, you're probably the epitome of someone who likes  gears of war more than halo.  Not saying that it's bad or anything, but looking at your stats, you're a lieutenant grade 1 in halo and you only play slayer and swat and you have yet to even beat the campaign
you can't complain about not getting matched will players to your skill level when you're below the bottum of the pool.  It's like finding a tennis match that a cat can play

Obviously I can't talk for your gears 2 games as I can't see them, but do you ever consider that maybe you just suck at Halo so you gravitate to a more easy game to play (gears of war does have a significantly lower barrier of entry in it's multiplayer, single player isn't- then again, i haven't played casual or normal to test it out)

I'm not telling you what you should an shouldn't like, but after reading that which caused me to check your stats (i was checking my profile there so it was already open) and it really does seem you just, well, indeed fall into that category that sucks at halo.

I don't want this to come off as a "oMg!  u dNt lIKe tEh Halo, you SUCK!" but sometimes it's just true.  I personally despised DDR until I was able to play on medium (although why I played enough to be able to play medium is based on a $ bet)"
lmao and trueskill actuyally does work... just he isn't as good as he'd like to be XD
Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fosssil
crunchUK said:
"lmao and trueskill actuyally does work... just he isn't as good as he'd like to be XD"
TrueSkill does work, but just barely. There are tons of flaws with the system that prevent it from matching based on "true" skill, and I can see how that would dissuade newer players from sticking with the game. For example if I'm a 50 in Team Slayer, Team Snipers, and Team Doubles, why would I still be a 1 in Lone Wolves? I know it's a different playlist and just because I have a 50 in those others doesn't mean I'll get one in Lone Wolves, but I'm certainly not worthy of a level 1, and for the first handful of games or so I'll probably tear those legit level 1s to pieces. I guess that could be kinda fun for me, but none of those other players are going to have a good time getting totally dominated.

Another problem is that it is so easy to get a 50. Not only does that mean that there is a huge variance in skill level between different 50s, but it creates the problem of second accounters, who ruin the system even more. I'm pretty good at Halo (I've been playing since 2002), but I'm certainly not as good as a pro like Walshy or OGRE 2. Yet, according to TrueSkill, I'm on the same level as them, as we each have 50s.

TrueSkill is good in theory, but in practice it really isn't a great system and could use some major changes to make it more fair to everyone.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By crunchUK
Fosssil said:
"crunchUK said:
"lmao and trueskill actuyally does work... just he isn't as good as he'd like to be XD"
TrueSkill does work, but just barely. There are tons of flaws with the system that prevent it from matching based on "true" skill, and I can see how that would dissuade newer players from sticking with the game. For example if I'm a 50 in Team Slayer, Team Snipers, and Team Doubles, why would I still be a 1 in Lone Wolves? I know it's a different playlist and just because I have a 50 in those others doesn't mean I'll get one in Lone Wolves, but I'm certainly not worthy of a level 1, and for the first handful of games or so I'll probably tear those legit level 1s to pieces. I guess that could be kinda fun for me, but none of those other players are going to have a good time getting totally dominated.

Another problem is that it is so easy to get a 50. Not only does that mean that there is a huge variance in skill level between different 50s, but it creates the problem of second accounters, who ruin the system even more. I'm pretty good at Halo (I've been playing since 2002), but I'm certainly not as good as a pro like Walshy or OGRE 2. Yet, according to TrueSkill, I'm on the same level as them, as we each have 50s.

TrueSkill is good in theory, but in practice it really isn't a great system and could use some major changes to make it more fair to everyone."y
yeah the above part is true. and it is shaky when new playlists come out but lone wolves requires incredibly different tactics to team doubles, team slayer, other so you would only really have a very easy time of it up until 20 or so. as for 50s being easy maybe 0,1% of the halo population is drastically "above" the "Level" of 50. seriously press x and look at the graphs
Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fosssil
crunchUK said:
"yeah the above part is true. and it is shaky when new playlists come out but lone wolves requires incredibly different tactics to team doubles, team slayer, other so you would only really have a very easy time of it up until 20 or so. as for 50s being easy maybe 0,1% of the halo population is drastically "above" the "Level" of 50. seriously press x and look at the graphs"
Yeah, but my point is that the players with high ranks in other playlists shouldn't have to have an "easy time of it up to level 20", because they shouldn't be playing against all of those weaker players in the first place. If a player can make it to a level 20 with little to no competition before the games actually start to be a bit of challenge, then that isn't a "true" skill match up, that's a lopsided match up that is unfair to those players that are legitimately level 20 and below.

To your point about the 50s making up a very small portion of the population, I completely agree that it isn't a big number. The problem is, especially among players level 40-49, achieving a 50 is becoming something that they believe is owed to them. The actual number of 50s isn't a huge amount, but it's growing everyday and becoming much less of an exclusive club. And, as players realize that getting a 50 is much easier on a new account than on one that has 500+ games played, the rising number of second accounters is further hurting the TrueSkill system. My point is that a 50 should only be obtainable by the best of the best, like those MLG players that I mentioned.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince
Sushbag said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"I disagree with their final verdict. Halo single player is a mediocre experience and online is only fun because it's so packed and has good community features. Halo is otherwise the most mediocre shooter with sub-par graphics. Gears 2 on the other hand is superb in all respects - and this is from someone who only owns a PS3."
I agree that Gears of War 2 is superb in all respects, but I submit that your statement be clarified and elongated, for those that may not be familiar with the series. The proper statement is, "Gears 2, on the other hand, is superb in all respects if you're 13, and know nothing about games." Fixed, you're welcome."

Oh and I suppose the 9 year old's playing Halo are really mature...

HALO KIDS PLAYING - SO MATURE

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Karmum
LiquidPrince said:
"Sushbag said:
"LiquidPrince said:
I agree that Gears of War 2 is superb in all respects, but I submit that your statement be clarified and elongated, for those that may not be familiar with the series. The proper statement is, "Gears 2, on the other hand, is superb in all respects if you're 13, and know nothing about games." Fixed, you're welcome."

Oh and I suppose the 9 year old's playing Halo are really mature...

HALO KIDS PLAYING - SO MATURE

"
That kid makes makes my reviews look good. :\
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Both games are really good, but I can see myself going back to Halo 3 more in the long run, oh and IGN totally nailed it with the sound, I love Halo 3's soundtrack, simply epic.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crunchUK
Fosssil said:
"crunchUK said:
"yeah the above part is true. and it is shaky when new playlists come out but lone wolves requires incredibly different tactics to team doubles, team slayer, other so you would only really have a very easy time of it up until 20 or so. as for 50s being easy maybe 0,1% of the halo population is drastically "above" the "Level" of 50. seriously press x and look at the graphs"
Yeah, but my point is that the players with high ranks in other playlists shouldn't have to have an "easy time of it up to level 20", because they shouldn't be playing against all of those weaker players in the first place. If a player can make it to a level 20 with little to no competition before the games actually start to be a bit of challenge, then that isn't a "true" skill match up, that's a lopsided match up that is unfair to those players that are legitimately level 20 and below.

To your point about the 50s making up a very small portion of the population, I completely agree that it isn't a big number. The problem is, especially among players level 40-49, achieving a 50 is becoming something that they believe is owed to them. The actual number of 50s isn't a huge amount, but it's growing everyday and becoming much less of an exclusive club. And, as players realize that getting a 50 is much easier on a new account than on one that has 500+ games played, the rising number of second accounters is further hurting the TrueSkill system. My point is that a 50 should only be obtainable by the best of the best, like those MLG players that I mentioned."
no because there are so few of the best of the best they would all have to organize their own matches to actually get one... because there simply would be onbody in their skill range. and funnily enough they do - it's called MLG tournaments

also this can go for the above as well - the only playlist where you will see a lot of generals at low levels is squad battle really. simply because A) there aren't that many generals to begin with. and win lots = rank up lots so idk it's not really as big as you make it out to be.

also @ the "halo - rly mature" comment... it honestly really is, you should check out the bungie.net groups... because 9 years olds are in every game so really... you fail
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Fosssil said:
"crunchUK said:

TrueSkill is good in theory, but in practice it really isn't a great system and could use some major changes to make it more fair to everyone."
That makes sense.  It does try to match up your grade (like captain, colonel, etc.) and ranking, but that is true.
That being said, you do level up rather quickly with the fewer games you have and it's not like it's hard to go up.  That being said, you can also go down easily.  The beggining tries to find a middle for you.  At level 47 it's hard as hell to go up.  It balances itself out quickly.

Why they can't have that is because there's tons of people who are great at slayer but absolutely suck at skirmish.
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I just can't stand playing Gears 2 multiplayer. At times it can be very satisfying, but most of the time it's incredibly frustrating.

Grenades, excluding the ink grenade, are incredibly cheap. It takes way too long to get up from a smoke grenade (I got stuck in a wall once from being hit by a smoke. NOT FUN), and frags are deadly around a pretty big radius. On top of all that you can stick them to walls and just hide in some room. If you don't see a frag on the wall, then you're dead. I don't like playing the game having to check every corner for frags or smoke.

Chainsaw. They patched the first game, because the chainsaw was cheap. I have no idea why they made it so powerful again. On several ocasions I've been chainsawed while shooting directly into a guy. Where's my delay? Apparantly it's easier and a better strategy to hold B down and walk forward than to actually try to shoot someone.

Gears could be really awesome, but I just can't keep playing it like this.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By crunchUK

besides most games simply have no system. or some shitty cod4-like one. trueskill system IS the way forward

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Green_Incarnate

And there was nothing wrong with Gears 1 rolling shotgun gameplay. Sure it was a one trick pony, but it was still way more fun than sitting around waiting for someone to walk past a grenade. If they would have left the shotgun gameplay in, but added the stopping power of the lancer/hammer burst, then Gears 2 would have been amazing. But as of right now, I would much rather play Halo 3.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gizmo

Halo set the standard for FPS games. The reason you think it's so medicore is because nearly ever FPS game since 2001 has copied it.