#1 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

I watched a bit of the Livestream yesterday, (extenuating circumstances kept me from the full thing). One of the things I managed to see were the plans for the new site design. Which I kind of liked. So you can imagine my surprise when I clicked over to IGN this morning, intent on checking out the Borderlands 2 review, and I saw this:

I don't have a shot of the new site design for Giantbomb's reviews, sadly, so I can't put one up as a point of comparison. But for those who saw the design, does this not strike you as quite similar? Or am I just being paranoid?

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

Paranoid of what. Of what. Web designers and aesthetics?

#3 Posted by Hailinel (23878 posts) -

Giant Bomb's site development doesn't exist in a bubble, and Dave and Alexis aren't the only web designers that follow a particular school of thought. Website designs go through trends, just like many other things.

Now, if the site design goes live and IGN were to pull a gamebomb.ru by wholesale copying website source code, then there would be an issue.

#4 Edited by AlisterCat (5481 posts) -

You will rarely find as much reptition as you do with web design. It's OK though. They're just finding similar solutions for the same problems. That's what design is. Problem solving.

#5 Edited by glasswall52 (66 posts) -

This is a modern trend in web design. Everyone is doing this.

Edit: In other words, don't worry

#6 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

No, of giant silicone based killer space worms.

#7 Posted by alternate (2682 posts) -

There are only so many design formats. The new GB one looks good but nothing especially original - unless you think the IGN designers watched the live show and whipped up a copycat design in less than 48 hours?

#8 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

@FengShuiGod said:

No, of giant silicone based killer space worms.

They're everywhere. WHY WON'T ANYONE BELIEVE ME.

@Brodehouse said:

Nah, seeing potential conspiracy patterns in such a simple thing as similar web design. Paranoid of that. So... yeah. In a way: Web designers and aesthetics.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (23878 posts) -

I'm just glad that the majority of the world managed to claw their way out of the Geocities hivemind of the '90s and regained their ability to think for themselves, free of the hypnotic effects of animated fire gifs and midi background music.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -
@Hailinel

I'm just glad that the majority of the world managed to claw their way out of the Geocities hivemind of the '90s and regained their ability to think for themselves, free of the hypnotic effects of animated fire gifs and midi background music.

You want that in frames, or no frames?
#11 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

I haven't sat down to watch the BLLSL archive yet. However, does anyone have a timestamp on any archive footage of when that design stuff would show up? I'm curious what the site is changing to.

#12 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Honestly, it looks more like Polygon than the new Giant Bomb.

#13 Posted by Flabbergastrate (274 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

#14 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

@Flabbergastrate said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Have to say the same, all three of the designs are very similar, but I don't think they're 'copying' or anything. It's not their fault the design looks pretty good.

#15 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

It's a trend. It's to our benefit, however, that the new GB design doesn't have as much wasted space as the new IGN look does. It feels like I'm browsing on a mobile site that's super-zoomed in. :|

#16 Edited by Petiew (1330 posts) -
@Hailinel: What're you talking about? That was the golden age! 
#17 Posted by Hailinel (23878 posts) -

@Petiew: Wow. Man, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I saw that or I'd need a new keyboard. That gave me a good laugh, sir!

#18 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@Hailinel: Obviously if you dont use that as your new profile picture that would make you an evil person!
#19 Posted by Hailinel (23878 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Hailinel: Obviously if you dont use that as your new profile picture that would make you an evil person!

I am on it!

#20 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@Hailinel: Oh dear God....................  That may be the greatest dp of all time
#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I found it more "interesting" that IGN added a wiki, a year or two ago.