I'm bored of video games, and I don't know why...

• 72 results
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Long time no see, Giant Bomb.

It seems weird to me that I haven't posted here in over 6 months, seeing as I used to post here daily, but something has gone wrong and I don't know how to fix it - Video games are boring me. I've just finished Metro 2033, the first game I've played and completed in a while, and I look at my steam library and realise that nothing in it seems to interest me.

Maybe it's just a thing of me having to actually start playing the game before I get into it, but I have pretty much zero urges to play anything, which is weird. I also got half-way through Infamous recently and have lost interest in it (even though I've played it before and loved it).

Has anyone been through something similar? I'd hate to think that I'm losing interest in something that is such a big part of my life. Someone, please tell me it will pass soon, or give me some tips on how to fix this?

Thanks.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think there has been a huge drought in engaging games the last year or so. It's the next gen lull. I am in a similar funk myself, but sites like GB always keep me interested in what is happening, even if I am not playing much. Far Cry 4 is what I am most looking forward to. Far Cry 3 was one lf my favourite games of the last 5 years. Not that it was spectacular story wise, it was just a hell of a lot of fun!

Also, maybe you med to take up a .....DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN.......MOBA!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MezZa

I'm going through something similar at the moment. I'm still enjoying playing games with friends like Diablo, but I have no motivation to play other games at all. And if I do, I usually get bored of playing before getting halfway through. It's got to the point where I decided to cancel all of my pre-orders because I just don't feel like I'll play a game for more than a day at the moment, and I'd rather have the money.

I can't give you much advice for getting past it since I'm in the same spot. What I am doing, however, is just finding other ways to entertain myself. I started working out regularly, playing more tennis, and started a tabletop game day with some friends. I found I can pass a lot of time with this stuff, and I end up feeling much better about myself after than I do sitting inside all day binging on a game. This is also conveniently helping me get my college work done since I don't have games distracting me.

I think the bottom line is just find what makes you happy in the current moment. If games aren't doing it right now then don't force yourself to play and spend money on games. You won't get past it by trying to make yourself interested. Give yourself a chance to miss games if you want to get back to enjoying them. In my opinion nothing that interesting is coming out this year anyway, so if you give yourself a break you may be ready in time for next years waves of games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

It happens to the best of us. I've gone through highs where I'd play games for hours on end each night, neglecting sleep in the process. I've also gone for months at a time without seriously touching anything and feeling as if even clicking that game icon on my desktop was a herculean task of it's own.

For me this is usually caused by a lack of games that really cater to my preferences and tastes. I am excited to dive into the open world of Dragon Age in a few months, but the "nearly endless" fun of Destiny completely fails to grab my attention.

I don't understand why publishers think it's an awesome idea to all release games in the same few months and duke it out among each other. Possibly this is something to do with financial quarters, of which I have no idea. All I know is that each summer, when kids have a lot of time off and adults can likewise escape from the kids, the gaming landscape turns into a barren wasteland. I haven't seriously touched anything in the last two months and much like yourself have even lost the urge to attempt and play anything. I've been telling myself that I'll buy the white PS4 bundle with Destiny and not only finally get that next-gen console but start playing some games - but.. I feel indifferent towards the entire idea.

So all there is to do is wait for that one game that will shock you back to life and reinvigorate your interest in games. I'm hoping Dragon Age will do that for me, but who knows, it's still a long wait for me.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BradBrains

I feel the same. Haven't really played a game outside of pinball arcade or threes on my ipad for months. Like some said there feels like a gaming drought for games I'm into. The whole attack on feminists in games and controversy has disenfranchised me a bit as well.

I still like games but nothing has excited me lately.

We are in a console transition. I'm hoping this winter will help me get excited again.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can't really offer much advice except maybe take like a week off from playing games then try again when the urge to play is greater. Also, never force yourself to play games if you aren't feeling it, as that will only make it worse. (Trust me on that)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Try playing a type of game you usually don't.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Happens all the time. When I was younger, not playing games for a month sounded crazy to me. Same with guitar, I'd play dozens of hours a week.

But I dunno, having other interests is fine.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I felt like that last year. All of the great games that were coming out just weren't interesting me. I would play them, then put them down, never to pick them back up. What I did was play some of my favorite games of all time, games that reminded me of why I love video games. That seemed to fix me right up. Maybe you should spend an evening with one of those games.

Although inFamous was one of those games for me so I could be completely off base here.

Lionheart377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Wish I could offer up some advice on how to reignite the flame, but I can at least say that I know what you're going through. I'm a freelancer for GameSpot, but other than the review games I'm assigned, I don't do too much gaming these days. Part of that is having a full-time job, but I also think we just burn out from time to time. I play Madden and FIFA to relax after a long day, and I really loved digging back into Final Fantasy X. But you might just need a game tailored to your interests to appear before you really get excited again.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it happens. Stick with some other interests for a while, don't ruin video games for yourself by playing them grudgingly. You'll be back. They always come back.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My grandfather used to always tell us when we played cards that "If you are no longer having fun, stop playing". And I think it applies well to video games.

I'd recommend doing something else for a while--reading, watching TV or movies or some other hobby--and then wait for that feeling of hype again that draws you in. I was bit blah earlier this year after Watch Dogs and Divinity Original Sin ended up being a total surprise in how much it sucked me and make me love games again.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#13 gamer_152  Moderator

I hear people say this quite a lot. I think one problem you can face is that eventually all the AAA games seem to blur together and it becomes a bit mind-numbing. Big blockbuster games can be fantastic, but sometimes you need to find slightly more obscure or experimental stuff. See if you can't go rooting around in the world of niche or independent games for a bit. If that still doesn't sound terribly exciting then just take a break from video games. It's possible to get burned out on doing one activity and with so many hobbies you could have, things you could learn about, and media you could consume I think we benefit from frequently taking a step back from games to do other stuff. I've seen a lot of people who said they were in this position, took a break, and came back enjoying games much more.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it happens man.

If you find yourself with free time I'd say start working through a list of movies or shows you've been meaning to watch, a list of books you've been meaning to read, by the time you've made decent progress on that list, you'll probably find yourself able to play something again. And hey, even if it doesn't pass soon, that's fine. I think it's for the best that you don't force yourself to think about games if you really don't have it in you.

I've went through this recently and if you wanna know what I did, I allowed myself a lot of distance from games for a few months' time. I slowly got back into it by listening to a non-gaming podcast while playing a game that wasn't too demanding (in this case, Harvest Moon) and eventually, I found myself wanting to play a bunch of crpgs again. It's weird, but this sort of thing always is, just be patient with yourself and with video games, I guess.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sinusoidal

I took a decade-long partial break from gaming to study, make music, be poor and finally to move to a different country. When I finally came back full-bore to the video gaming fold, holy shit they'd gotten super amazingly awesome in the meantime! I must have played through a hundred PS2 and Gamecube games between 2007 and 2011, and I picked them up dirt cheap used and 'classic' editions or whatever.

Take a break. Do something else for a while. Games will still be there when you come back. And they'll be even awesomer.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know how you feel, man. Going through the exact same thing.

For me it's been a result of a hugely uninteresting couple of months in games. The next game that I'm properly looking forward to is Dragon Age: Inquisition and that's still more than 2 months away.

Aside from that there's really nothing I want to play currently, might go back and play some old ass retrogames or something, but as others have said, this sort of funk happens every now and again.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try putting a hot towel on your face.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The AAA space becoming as homogenized as it is has killed my enjoyment for the most part. I know I am bored with the current state of AAA when I re-up my World of Warcraft subscription and play it again.

The new consoles have yet to build a good library of titles is disheartening to me. This is going to be the second Christmas for the PS4 and Xbox One, and there is not going to be a significant amount of software that appeals to me.

Thankfully, I have been getting some enjoyment in finding some indie gems, and by continuing to fail at Spelunky.

KingOfCrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like other folks have said, don't worry about it. I've gone through years were I chew through every major release, and years were I didn't play much at all. While on your break away from games, try to check out other hobbies you've thought about getting into. For me it was running and woodworking. Never became great at them but eventually I'll be able to go over 5 miles and make furniture that didn't look like a pack of beavers had their way with a wooden chair.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tirion

I've been through phases of that too. For me I think it mostly comes down to games being such a huge time investment. Compared to watching a movie for 2 hours most bigger games demands a lot more time and I can't just sit down and play a 10 hour game a couple of hours every week. Besides the practicality of finding bigger chunks of time I need to be really excited before even starting playing a game to set all that time aside and that can be hard sometimes.

I went through it pretty recently but then I happened to have some time of work and made the decision to play the 360-version of Bully since I never played it earlier. And I just decided to give it 5 hours no matter what and after that the excitement was back and I started planning for which of the new consoles to buy.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to fill it trying to dominate my backlog but that started to recently feel like work. Its picking up a bit, though. New opportunities have come along to review and try new stuff that I wouldn't normally go near.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It happens to me when I have a lot of free time and make the mistake of filling it up with video games, then I realize after a couple months that I cant stand the sight of them, but then I get a new job and am always busy and then I can't get enough. Gamer fatigue is definitely a thing.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this because I've got 5 months off work. I want to finish things like Divinity after putting in 50 hours, and I want to start Spec Ops but I just don't have the enthusiasm anymore. It sucks

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SomberOwl

@nekusakuraba: I found that when I have less time to play games, like being busy with work or school, I'm more eager to play them. But being unemployed for 2 years that excitement of being able to play a game has dwindled. I feel like if I was scrambling for time to play I would get that spark back and be reinvigorated and more excited to play.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Happens to me every once in a while. I usually just move on to something else for a while and then come back to games usually with a refreshed interest. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I don't understand why publishers think it's an awesome idea to all release games in the same few months and duke it out among each other. Possibly this is something to do with financial quarters, of which I have no idea.

Holiday shopping is pretty crucial for this industry. This is why the Tuesday before Black Friday is usually the crescendo. Having a game that is on the new releases shelf and costs 60 dollars is very important for all those people buying gifts for kids and young adults. Put it out during summer, you might get a boost of kids with free time, but that's more copies that they're trading in by the end of summer, by the time holiday shopping rolls around you're off the new releases shelf, you've had to cut the price and there's used copies taking part of your market and giving you nothing.

@drdarkstryfe said:

The AAA space becoming as homogenized as it is has killed my enjoyment for the most part.

Yeah, I don't necessarily want to say the same, but I've lost a lot of my juice for AAA. I remember during 09-12 I was playing a lot more AAA games, even the kind of second-tier stuff like Singularity (which is actually great!) and Dark Void, if only just to see them. I feel like we're still waiting for the big step forward.

I just checked my in-progress GOTY list and there's only one 60 dollar game in it.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of good responses in here but I'll throw my hat into the ring as well, this has happened to me multiple times, with varying degrees, sometimes I don't even want to look at my games, sometimes I don't want to play 'gamey' games but am okay with playing ones that are outside of the box.

I think it is only natural that when you have a big/main hobby that takes a lot of your life/time that at points consciously or unconsciously shy away from it for a while in a way in which you are almost resting or recharging your batteries and then getting back into it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This year has sucked for games. Luckily the backlog I have amassed has kept me pretty interested.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been bored of video games before, and it seems to happen more frequently these days--but when that happens, I go off and do other stuff for a while. If the AAA games seem to be lacking or boring, I really cannot recommend seeking out some indie games enough. They are frequently interesting, even when they aren't very good. Sites like Rock Paper Shotgun have weekly columns that present a list of free weird-ass games to play, and it is nearly always worth taking a look at one or two of them. That, or play a bunch of old stuff you've never gotten 'round to--for me, I keep going back to stuff like Planescape Torment, because I never finished it.

But yeah, if no games are catching your eye, it's okay to just back away for a while and read a book or something. Books are cool.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it happens to everyone. Happens to me a couple times a year. Just gotta take a brake and live some real life or somethin. Then games will call to you again.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By agentboolen

@nekusakuraba: I'd consider to break out of the norm. For example if your use to current gen games and thats all you play look into something from say the 90''s. Maybe some old fashion NES, SNES or Genesis will bring back your appreciation for video games. Then there are always the old arcade games... Like getting a copy of Donkey Kong running and playing the hell out of that. Or maybe get some friends over for some marathon ass kicking in Street Fighter 2 turbo, or Final Fight, or that old Simpsons arcade game.

There are a lot of game options and most current 1 player games are played for the story, back in the 90's Mario only had the 7 twist ending's of the princes not being at the castle, till finally she showed up!! (hoped I didn't spoil that one for you... It was a classic!)

Also when done playing NES, SNES or Genesis, watch this video TAZ, this should bring back some appreciation for the modern games.... Watch all 4 minutes of it, no skipping!!

divergence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well I have good news for you man. There is actually more to life than video games. Problem solved.

Side note: I actually think this is probably the dullest time right now for games. Previous generation was amazing and development on new consoles is taking freaking forever to really hit a stride. I've got like, nothing to play on my xbox one right now. I keep checking the store and there's nothing there. When are the games coming? No, not really interested in the next call of duty or assassin's creed. I've been playing those games for years and want something new built from the ground up for the new hardware.

I hope 2015 is the year. If it isn't I'm beginning to think I'll just keep playing Xbox .360 until I'm gone. Cuz I've got tons of great games on that thing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

You mortals are like wasps. You build you lives/nests from the slimmest of branches, and when the wind shakes your home/life free, you seek to sting the wind to death. Instead of realizing your foolish mistakes, attempting to repair the damage you have caused yourselves, and learning from your experience, you bring harm to any who have the misfortune to blunder near you in your time of pain and distress. My advice to you - and to all mortals: Stop acting like an insect and start acting sentient.

From Planescape Torment.

The text is a little strong, but it holds the idea that when there is change, you should get used to it, and see where that leads you. Because life is more than video games, and the way you play and enjoy yourself might change, because it doesn't satisfy you anymore.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The more and more that the game industry has followed a formula the less and less interested I've become. I've been down on games for maybe 3 or 4 years now. Occasionally something really interesting and different comes along. A dating sim at a pigeon high school, a trucking sim, a typing game, Fez; those out of the ordinary games that aren't following a formula are really fun to play.

Sometimes I go back to old classics. I play through Vice City, Persona 4, GTA2 and NFS High Stakes every year. They haven't gotten old yet. I can go binge on Minecraft for a week at a time once every 6 or 8 months. I went and dug out my lego collection for the first time in 10 years. That doesn't get old either. It also demonstrated just how limited minecraft is.

I haven't played a competitive multiplayer game seriously since Uncharted 2. I think the nature of perks and leveling has killed competitive balance which has turned me away from multiplayer games. That's pretty shitty considering they shoehorn multiplayer into everything these days. Maybe a MOBA is the answer for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@divergence: I've started to consider whether there's a kind of pattern emerging, where I feel as if the even-numbered gens are responses and iterations on the ideas that dominated the odd-numbered gens. The biggest stuff on SNES were all based on ideas that worked great on the NES, just perfected with a bit of experience and the stronger technology. I feel like the PS1 was this wild time with a lot of strange chances being taken, while the PS2 was a maturation of what worked on PS1. I wonder whether the 8th gen is going to be a perfection of the tech and the gameplay design of the 7th gen, rather than an introduction of a lot of new, sweeping changes. And I wonder if the jump to the 9th gen (VR?) is going to be one of those big shake-ups.

When we look back at the 7th gen, will we remember the motion controls, or will we remember the melding of traditional action and traditional RPG into the most common genre in the market? Will we remember the proliferation of cinematic production and quick time events, or will we remember it as the time when the PC and console AAA market merged into one. This was the gen when your favorite PC developers made console games, and your favorite console devs had good PC ports. I can tell you how segregated they seemed back in 2000.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Yes but at the same time when they put it out during christmas time they're contending with a lot of other strong hitters. I know that myself and possibly other people would jump at a decent game during the summer simply out of boredom. I would've bought that Shadow of Mordor game last month full price because there was nothing out, but in a month or two when (in my opinion) better games will be out I'm not going to bother and instead I'll maybe get it somewhere down the road at a steep discount, maybe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Hey man, as a consumer I want games during the spring and summer too. I'm just saying that some very smart people spent a lot of time doing a lot of research at what time is most profitable and that's really all the company is interested in. Honestly, I think Evil Within will probably do better coming out in holiday than Shadows of the Damned did coming out in spring a few years back. Holiday isn't just business as usual, it's a unique business opportunity.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Try playing a type of game you usually don't.

This 100%

I recently went through a similar situation where I caught up on my backlog of games and then...nothing. I think part of it started when the current consoles were announced and I actually felt no desire to buy them, (still don't). Big budget games lost my interest a long time ago due to the swift adoption of withholding content as DLC. So I became less likely to take a chance on new games, thus lowering my desire to play anything.

Then I realized I should just dive into genres I don't normally play. I had recently built a new PC, which opened more doors on steam, now I'm enthralled with strategy games. A genre I had never really given a chance. If you can't bring yourself to try something new, maybe go way back to a retro style? Replay an old favorite?

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Joe423

I was having a similar thing and agree with the guys who've said to try a new genre of game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: As a consumer also I agree there are probably some really smart people working on this "sales theory" nonsense but the summer sucks and I just want to complain about it.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've been there before, just shift your focus to a different hobby or leisure activity for a while. You'll feel like coming back to it eventually. No worries. I've let games sit before to go get into Heroclix, or Magic the Gatherings, or old movies, or Dungeons and Dragons, watching old GB videos, whatever.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, it's been months since there has been any games worthy of being bored of. It's got to the point that I am seriously considering buying Destiny, even though I hated the beta.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Happens all the time. Video games can be like that, for a time you're completely and utterly addicted and the next second you're pretty indifferent about everything associated with video games. Then after some time you're hit with this crazy surge, which makes you wanna play games 24/7.

It'll pass.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By agentboolen
@brodehouse said:

@divergence: I've started to consider whether there's a kind of pattern emerging, where I feel as if the even-numbered gens are responses and iterations on the ideas that dominated the odd-numbered gens. The biggest stuff on SNES were all based on ideas that worked great on the NES, just perfected with a bit of experience and the stronger technology. I feel like the PS1 was this wild time with a lot of strange chances being taken, while the PS2 was a maturation of what worked on PS1. I wonder whether the 8th gen is going to be a perfection of the tech and the gameplay design of the 7th gen, rather than an introduction of a lot of new, sweeping changes. And I wonder if the jump to the 9th gen (VR?) is going to be one of those big shake-ups.

When we look back at the 7th gen, will we remember the motion controls, or will we remember the melding of traditional action and traditional RPG into the most common genre in the market? Will we remember the proliferation of cinematic production and quick time events, or will we remember it as the time when the PC and console AAA market merged into one. This was the gen when your favorite PC developers made console games, and your favorite console devs had good PC ports. I can tell you how segregated they seemed back in 2000.

The way you are looking at the game gen's is kinda of interesting, i've had my own way of thinking about them.

I've always thought of it more of a technology evolving thing. NES really grabbed what was done before it and made it fun for once, SNES had more power to do the same with better graphics and even touch on some light 3d, ps1 the 3d started to be used in fun ways, the ps2 evolved the rendering into something that didn't look like horse crap, then the 360/ps3 gave us 720p almost HD visuals and much cleaner rendering, but was able to do really nice 1080p when doing 2d.

Basically this has led to me always feeling the NES being able to make a fun game as Atari games suck, SNES had nice 2d graphics, the PS1's 3d graphics were rough, PS2 was cleaner but had draw issues, the 360/ps3 having very clean graphics. There does seem to be some kind of progression with the technology at certain levels.

Hope this makes sense, i've debated deleting it after typing it lol.

But while thinking about all this gen stuff, I still find myself thinking WWF Wrestlefest released in arcades in 1991 is the best looking wrastling video game of all generations.... Sometimes good art can go along ways.

Looks much better then that newer version below released on ipads in 2012.
Looks much better then that newer version below released on ipads in 2012.
Just look how plain this thing looks, it lost all its feelings.
Just look how plain this thing looks, it lost all its feelings.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

@splodge said:

Well, this is a way. I went through the same phaze a couple of years ago, hard, and I think a lot of people do at some point, and i genuinly, if not overly subjectively, think that this happens to most people and then they go off and do things like get a career and married and kids and morgage and thats life. Not that you cant have these things without playing games ofc. But for myself I've always kinda identified myself as a gamer (as much as that makes me cringe), or as a dude that plays games or more to the point absorbes a lot of gaming media. Relative to people here at giantbomb I'm just another person but in the (my) real world I know more shit about games than almost anyone I've ever met. So going through this phaze was hard and felt like a loss of identity. The thing that brought me back was MOBA, but bear with me here it wasnt just that I was playing LoL and loving it, it opened up the world of isometric view games for me, a genre (?) i just couldn't get along with before, which really does open up doors for some of the best games out there imo, especially as you get older the depth matches up more to the mature mindset, not saying that a game like Sacred is better than say COD4....but it is possibly more appropriate.

So, not sure if this makes sense but back in the day games were a thing, now they are many things, AAA stuff is geared to a younger audience, casual audience, mass market audience etc etc. Its really just not the same thing. Realising this and just knowing that I am a niche and I dont have to be into the latest Batman or whatever hype is going around really helped me get back into the whole playing games thing, and now...well I still mainly play MOBA....but I also re-kindled my love for the obsucre and janky as fuck games that I actually like.

TL:DR smoke more weed

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

Well, this is a way. I went through the same phaze a couple of years ago, hard, and I think a lot of people do at some point, and i genuinly, if not overly subjectively, think that this happens to most people and then they go off and do things like get a career and married and kids and morgage and thats life. Not that you cant have these things without playing games ofc. But for myself I've always kinda identified myself as a gamer (as much as that makes me cringe), or as a dude that plays games or more to the point absorbes a lot of gaming media. Relative to people here at giantbomb I'm just another person but in the real world I know more shit about games than almost anyone I've ever met. So going through this phaze was hard and felt like a loss of identity. The thing that brought me back was MOBA, but bear with me here it wasnt just that I was playing LoL and loving it, it opened up the world of isometric view games for me, a genre (?) i just couldn't get along with before, which really does open up doors for some of the best games out there imo, especially as you get older the depth match up more to the mature mindset, not saying that a game like Sacred is better than say COD4....but it is possibly more appropriate.

So, not sure if this makes sense but back in the day games were a thing, now they are many things, AAA stuff is geared to a younger audience, casual audience, mass market audience etc etc. Its really just not the same thing. Realising this and just knowing that I am a niche and I dont have to be into the latest Batman or whatever hype is going around really helped me get back into the whole playing games thing, and now...well I still mainly play MOBA....but I also re-kindled my love for the obsucre and janky as fuck games that I actually like.

TL:DR smoke more weed

And play Dungeon Keeper 2.

You know what? that's the solution. Play Dungeon Keeper 2. It is, in my mind, one of the best video games ever made, and in a weird way one of the first "casual" games. Your minions mostly operate on AI routines (some of them pretty bad), but this game still holds up.

Play Dungeon Keeper 2.

Just do it.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this happens to most of us in phases, and I don't think it's a problem. I have WAY more interests than I do free time. There are also times when I'll be actively following gaming news and content (almost exclusively this site), but not playing anything.

Just do something else you enjoy for a while. This doesn't need solving, because it's not a problem.

Pursue other interests for a while - then you can neglect those when you're back in the mood for some video games.

gabbadeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that feeling too for since 3 or 4 months or so. But my last hope for this year will be GTA 5 for pc, i expect much about it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Humanity

@splodge: Dungeon Keeper 1 was better ~ of course

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to feel bored with gaming when there is too much to play. I have games on PS4, 3DS, Vita and not to mention by backlog on Steam. The best way to beat boredom is by focusing on one game at a time and just enjoying the experience. If you don't like it then just stop playing that one and put it aside.