I'm looking for a really good JRPG

Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Any suggestions for either ps4, ps3, 3ds, PC, Wii or GameCube.

I've never played Tales Of Symphonia, is it worth the purchase?

But yeah, any suggestions I would really appreciate. My last one was Ni No Kuni and I loved it.

Thanks

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

For the 3DS I'd recommend taking a crack at Fire Emblem: Awakening and Bravely Default.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Resonance of Fate, kind of?

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By DeadpanCakes

It's been a while, but I'd say Symphonia is worth it, especially if you haven't played a Tales game before. I feel like I've seen that game on sale quite often, though, so I'm not sure how much it'd be full price.

Also, I believe Persona 4 and SMT: Nocturne are on PSN? Technically Ps2 games, but I feel like they're worth mentioning.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@fordroog: Tales of Symphonia is pretty great (lots better than the more recent Xillia, at any rate), although the combat system can take some getting used to. Its somewhat similar to Ni No Kuni in its combat system, though (a bit more complicated, perhaps), so hopefully it won't take too long to get up and running. I'd definitely say that the remake is worth 30 bucks, but then I haven't read any reviews about any technical issues with it, I guess.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

persona 3 + 4 are ps2 classics on psn right?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

persona 3 + 4 are ps2 classics on psn right?

yes they are now offered including what I believe is the entire SMT games on ps2.

dendro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Hmm why not Eternal Sonata, really fun concept( your pretty much playing Chopin´s last dream on his dying bed) it looks nice, has a great score and you can probably get it for 5 bucks so it´s a pretty low risk purchase. And yeah as the guys above said Symphonia is worth it totally.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resonance of Fate, kind of?

It might be getting sorta old at this point, but ye.. Actually thought about going back to it again this summer.. which would make it an annual thing for me since it launched =o

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm not really a fan of the Tales games. There are plenty I'd recommend before them.

@dendro said:

Hmm why not Eternal Sonata, really fun concept( your pretty much playing Chopin´s last dream on his dying bed) it looks nice, has a great score and you can probably get it for 5 bucks so it´s a pretty low risk purchase. And yeah as the guys above said Symphonia is worth it totally.

Eternal Sonata is not a bad recommendation, actually. There's also the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy.

On 3DS, I recommend Bravely Default.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you like Strategy RPGs I highly recommend Disgaea 4. It's worth it just getting through the story (Level 100 or so) and if you really enjoy it you might even go all the way to level 9999.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tales of Vesperia. Chrono Trigger.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3DS - Fire Emblem Awakening

Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Persona 3 or 4, as people have stated are on the Psn for the Ps3. They're both exceptional Jrpgs everyone who likes the genre should play.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS Store opens up a whole lot of options for JRPGs. I was recently thinking about going back to Nocturne now that it's on PS Store.

Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: I will actually be getting a copy of xenoblade tomorrow. Heard amazing stuff about that one.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Am I the only one who thinks Fire Emblem Awakening is just kind of middling? I'm about 12 hours in and it's not grabbing me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Let me tell you about Chrono Trigger. It's really great. You can buy it from the Wii's Virtual Console.

That is all.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're looking to play a really good JRPG I would recommend some DS games, which you can play on your 3DS. The previously suggested Chrono Trigger is an all-time classic and the DS version is arguably the best version of the game. All of the numbered Dragon Quest titles on the DS also come highly recommended, with Hand of the Heavenly Bride being my personal favorite. If you are looking for something less traditional The World Ends with You and Knights in the Nightmare are also worth checking out.

I've also never played Tales Of Symphonia but I did really enjoy Tales of Xillia so you may want to look into that title if you want to play a Tales game.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By syz

The Symphonia HD package is alright. Dual audio is a bonus as I've always found the Tales series to have localization issues, but I don't think the game is better than Vesperia (which unfortunately never got a PS3 release in North America), Graces, or Xillia. The included sequel is also kind of irrelevant and not worth playing.

I'm playing Atelier Escha & Logy right now, and it's kind of... really good. I can't think of another JRPG franchise that has improved so consistently from game to game (although the last game felt like a bit of a dip, and the quality of localization for the last few games has had some bumps). You just have to actually enjoy the crafting system to be able to get on board, although that element has been continuously streamlined.

Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lentfilms: Hey, yeah I was looking at Tales of Xillia, also. Heard some mixed things, but the people who love it really sell it to me.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
  • Final Fantasy X HD - PS3
  • If you're okay with linearity in games, then Final Fantasy XII - PS3 may take your fancy (though thoughts on the game are controversial). The sequels: XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are good in their own right though (In fact, Lightning Returns is unique in its own way and may be worth playing independantly of the previous two). The sequels make an okay job of bringing you up to speed on characters, settings and mythology if you're willing to read the datalog entries as they appear.
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fordroog said:

@lentfilms: Hey, yeah I was looking at Tales of Xillia, also. Heard some mixed things, but the people who love it really sell it to me.

Tales of Xillia was a whole lot of fun. Many people are mixed on how you need to play the game twice, once as each of the leading characters, in order to get all the details of the story. However I just played through as Jude, the male lead, and was able to understand everything just fine. If you want to play another game similar to Ni No Kuni than Xillia may be a good choice.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenoblade on the wii, pretty good

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Last Remnant for new stuff. Vagrant Story for old stuff.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I like Legend of Dragoon, and I really like the Paper Mario series. Well, Paper Mario 1 and Thousand Year Door anyway. They count right? Nintendo is Japanese.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh shit, P4 is on PSN now?! When did that happen?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenoblade Chronicles. Baten Kaitos. Final Fantasy XIII. Resonance of Fate.

It's a shame you don't have access to a 360 because I think Lost Odyssey is the greatest RPG of last gen (and for me, one of the all time best).

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't mind some old school SNES JRPG, I'd definitely look into playing Terranigma. How that game never got a remake is beyond me. The story is incredible and the combat is real time.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things that haven't been mentioned: Radiant Historia and Valkyria Chronicles (srpg).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Corevi

@wjb: 2 months ago or so. SMT 3 Nocturne, the Raidou Kuzunoha games and Digital Devil Saga 2 were also added.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look to the past. There hasn't been a really good one in years. The last truly excellent one was probably Dragon's Quest VIII. Though I haven't gotten around to Ni No Kuni yet, and I hear it might be pretty good.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: I second that Valkyria Chronicles recommendation.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing Radiant historia on my 3ds (it's a DS game though) and it's pretty damn sweet. Great combat, nice aesthetic and interesting story.

Otherwise, Persona 3 and 4 is a pretty safe bet, and if you feel a little hardcore I'd reallt recommend SMT: Nocturne too.

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't mind some old school SNES JRPG, I'd definitely look into playing Terranigma. How that game never got a remake is beyond me. The story is incredible and the combat is real time.

It was an Enix joint that was overshadowed by Square's more dominant game, Chrono Trigger. No surprise.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb: PS2 version only, unfortunately.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb: PS2 version only, unfortunately.

I'm okay with that. Sure, I would like to play Golden, but that would mean buying a Vita, which I kind of never wanted to do.

(I never played P4. I watched the ER and kind of settled with that for years.)

Sydlanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... I'll second Persona 3FES (if you can get that) and Persona 4, Disgaea 4, and Valkyria chronicles.

Hmm what hasn't been said... Well Let's recommend Final Fantasy 12, it's a very decent but pretty controversial game, I did not care much for the plot, It's a lot less emotional and more political than other FFs, so maybe you're into that. But the combat is interesting and there is a TON to do.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm pretty sure Trails in the Sky is coming to Steam this year.

Which is good, because it's one of the best JRPGS ever made. Definitely check that one out as soon as possible.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Justin258

@bisonhero said:

Let me tell you about Chrono Trigger. It's really great. You can buy it from the Wii's Virtual Console.

That is all.

You can also buy it on DS (which works on 3DS) and PSN. If you haven't played Chrono Trigger, OP, then Chrono Trigger should be your next choice. No doubt about that. Other must-plays are Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Final Fantasy VI, and Persona 4 - if you have not played all of these, then get to them. They are fantastic.

Actually, the more I wrote of this post, the more I realized that you should just check out games published by Atlus on the systems you're looking at. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 just came out on PSN and are pretty good (they are essentially one game split into two parts). Etrian Odyssey IV and Untold on 3DS are both pretty challenging dungeon crawlers, also both with some absolutely fantastic music. Shin Megami Tensei IV on 3DS is also pretty great mechanically (worth noting that Etrian Odyssey IV and Untold are light on story, and SMT IV's story doesn't do much of anything with its coolest concepts).

Fire Emblem Awakening isn't what I would call a JRPG, it's a Japanese strategy game. There's no exploration, no wandering around a dungeon, no running around town. It's all battles that take place on a grid where characters move around and attack the other team. Definitely not a "JRPG", though characters still level up and you still have to re-class them. "SRPG" is a better term.

Finally, yes, I have played Bravely Default. It's fine. It has neither the interesting mechanics of Shin Megami Tensei IV or the great stories of Chrono Trigger, FFVI, or Persona 4. I would not call it a "bad" purchase - all of its parts actually hold up pretty well - but it's missing something. Its story is a mixing pot of lame JRPG tropes, so even though it does hold together, it's still not very interesting. Its characters are cardboard cutouts and uninteresting in every aspect. Its mechanics are probably the best part, but it's essentially Final Fantasy where you defend for four turns and then take four turns at once. Not the great twist that it sounds like, and its bosses in 25 hours of play are hardly as creative as some of the ones in Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger or Nocturne or any other number of great JRPG's. It's a respectable purchase but you have better options.

EDIT: Bravely Default's art is pretty great, though, and the whole thing looks really good. I thought it was worth going back into this thread to mention!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fordroog: I definitely recommend Tales of Symphonia. But, I would only recommend buying it and not its sequel, which you can do. I managed to enjoy the sequel, but that's because I so desperately wanted more Tales. It strips away the overworld of the first game; there are only two main, playable characters; and the returning characters from the first game not only have different and questionable voice actors, but they also play terribly.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Muramasa and Odin Sphere on PSN

Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: I have a 360 also, i just forgot to list it. I will pick up a copy of Lost Odyssey, I have seen it for quite cheap. Thanks a million :)

Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: I have a 360 also, i just forgot to list it. I will pick up a copy of Lost Odyssey, I have seen it for quite cheap. Thanks a million :)