I'm not excited for Alan Wake...

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Doctorchimp

As Alan Wake is coming out some people are foaming at the mouth for it, and I honestly can't really see the appeal. What looks so exciting for it?

I was on GameFAQs (I know Giantbomb, forgive my sins) and the 360 board is literally filled with topics for it, they can't wait. I really don't see why, okay it's very pretty...and that's all I hear about it. Honestly I'm more excited for Conviction...by a good mile.

Is it because I also have a PS3 and a gaming PC? Is it my mindnumbing excitement for God of War 3 blinding me til March? Is it just people with 360's feeling vindicated about their hardware? Is it because I think Stephen King is personally a douchebag, and I don't feel like emulating him in a game? I don't know. Is there something I'm missing? 

EDIT: I just read this...
 http://kotaku.com/5474668/alan-wake-preview-the-first-full-episode?skyline=true&s=i

I feel like a moron...

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Atmosphere, story, visual style, set pieces.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

Because Remedy is developing it.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Evilsbane
@Icemael said:
" Atmosphere, story, visual style, set pieces. "
Yea that.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hitchenson

That's cool.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CharlieTuna

I hate Alan Wakes face, his freakin' face annoys me. Also his stupid name.

So yeah, won't be getting this. Haha.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Doctorchimp
@benjaebe: I do love Max Payne....a lot...
Nelez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Nelez

I am

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alphiehyr
@Icemael said:
I don't think he really understand those concepts.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Alphiehyr said:
" @Icemael said:
I don't think he really understand those concepts. "
Because I'm totally not buying Heavy Rain Tuesday...
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By DCFGS3

It's coz it's 'different', frankly I don't really care either, however I'm somewhat interested in the actual mechanics of the game. People have different tastes, you clearly prefer more actiony, clear cut games, other people don't. I still fail to see the appeal of Bioshock, especially considering gameplay is something described as a letdown.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten
@Alphiehyr said:
" @Icemael said:
I understand those concepts, but I'm not getting any atmosphere from the trailers o.O 
the visual style is seen before though, in countless games so that's nothing special 
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Evilsbane
@Alphiehyr said:

" @Icemael said:

Oh ok *Ahem*

1. 1T's ALL SP00ky N' ShIT!!
2. L0tz of Cutsee3nes to Sk1p p@st!!
3. 1t's PERRTY
4. Cr@zzzy STUFF H@pppeen333nss!!!!!!

Ahh there now that we have established some lines of communication we can continue :P
felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By felixlighter

I own a gaming PC and a PS3 and I'm interested in the game so I don't think that has anything to do with it.  Is this the first time you haven't been interested in a game that other people are excited for?  I'm not sure why you're so confused.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trophyhunter

you know my thoughts on alan wake

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lowbrow

Remedy Entertainment.

Pax Payne.

That is all.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alphiehyr
@Evilsbane said:
" @Alphiehyr said:

" @Icemael said:

Oh ok *Ahem*  1. 1T's ALL SP00ky N' ShIT!! 2. L0tz of Cutsee3nes to Sk1p p@st!! 3. 1t's PERRTY 4. Cr@zzzy STUFF H@pppeen333nss!!!!!!  Ahh there now that we have established some lines of communication we can continue :P "
No need for sarcasm. I was referring to the Topic creator; Doctorchimp, not you.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zeforgotten
@Lowbrow said:
" Remedy Entertainment. Pax Payne.  That is all. "
 That sounds like shit,  

Pax Payne
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By sixghost

They fucking made max payne

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss
@FelixLighter said:
Is this the first time you haven't been interested in a game that other people are excited for?  I'm not sure why you're so confused.
My thoughts exactly.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp
@FelixLighter said:
" I own a gaming PC and a PS3 and I'm interested in the game so I don't think that has anything to do with it.  Is this the first time you haven't been interested in a game that other people are excited for?  I'm not sure why you're so confused. "
It's not the first time, but the way people are talking about it yea I find it a little weird I'm completely indifferent towards it.
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lowbrow
@ZeForgotten said:
" @Lowbrow said:
" Remedy Entertainment. Pax Payne.  That is all. "
 That sounds like shit,   Pax Payne "
I guess I can't argue with that,

Max Payne
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead

Alan Wake is probably going to be the game to make or break my interest in video games forever.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss
@HandsomeDead said:
" Alan Wake is probably going to be the game to make or break my interest in video games forever. "
dang.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trophyhunter
@HandsomeDead said:
" Alan Wake is probably going to be the game to make or break my interest in video games forever. "
.......why? why would you put all your hopes into a game like alan wake when there million better ones
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten
@trophyhunter: Wait, you played Alan Wake?  
All of a sudden you're my new hero
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Meowayne

I am more or less indifferent about every upcoming game except The Last Guardian and The Last Story. 
Spooky!

Also, David Bowie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lost intrest in the game when they said they took out the sandbox elements out of the game and the day and night cycle it would of been so much better to explore in that town then, now its just follow a linear path for the most part i doubt there will be much replay value for the game plus the 5 years of waiting to play it on pc then to  find out there dropping the PC verison just makes it dead to me.Remedy where known as a good PC dev now they just dropped there oringinal fanbase all for the buck its pretty  pathetic, all well there's other games coming out .
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead
@trophyhunter said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
.......why? why would you put all your hopes into a game like alan wake when there million better ones "
There aren't. I only enjoyed one or two games last year and the industry seems to have stagnated to the point where I'm finding video games in general to be a waste of time. Alan Wake and Heavy Rain look like the only things coming out this year that interest me and I don't have a PS3 so I feel like it all hinges on Alan Wake to keep me interested.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dbz1995
@Evilsbane said:
" @Alphiehyr said:

" @Icemael said:

Oh ok *Ahem*  1. 1T's ALL SP00ky N' ShIT!! 2. L0tz of Cutsee3nes to Sk1p p@st!! 3. 1t's PERRTY 4. Cr@zzzy STUFF H@pppeen333nss!!!!!!  Ahh there now that we have established some lines of communication we can continue :P "
Have you ever met a teenager? That's noobspeak. Also, apostrophes? NOOBTINGZ
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By august
@JEC03 said:
" I lost intrest in the game when they said they took out the sandbox elements out of the game and the day and night cycle it would of been so much better to explore in that town then, now its just follow a linear path for the most part i doubt there will be much replay value for the game plus the 5 years of waiting to play it on pc then to  find out there dropping the PC verison just makes it dead to me.Remedy where known as a good PC dev now they just dropped there oringinal fanbase all for the buck its pretty  pathetic, all well there's other games coming out . "
Just to be clear it's Microsoft's call if there's going to be a port seeing as how they're the ones paying for the game.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Evilsbane
@Alphiehyr: I know I was making a joke about the OP :(
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By trophyhunter
@HandsomeDead said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
.......why? why would you put all your hopes into a game like alan wake when there million better ones "
There aren't. I only enjoyed one or two games last year and the industry seems to have stagnated to the point where I'm finding video games in general to be a waste of time. Alan Wake and Heavy Rain look like the only things coming out this year that interest me and I don't have a PS3 so I feel like it all hinges on Alan Wake to keep me interested. "
eh your problem is that you just missed out on the amazing year the PS3 had last year. If I only had a 360 last year I'd be disappointed too.
Just relax this year will be better. it's  already 100000 times better with mass effect 2 and the promise of fable 3
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By raviolisumo

I'm not all that excited either. I'm guessing I just don't "get it". Oh well.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Skytylz

i'm not going to get it, i don't think it looks very fun is all.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cspiffo
@Doctorchimp:
It's kind of silly to write a topic about something you have no interest in.
AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AnimalFather

Remedy is a real developer they dont shit out games by the dozen. 
 You know this game is going to be extremely well polished.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By megalowho

I simply don't have enough info on it to form an opinion one way or another, which I guess makes me not that excited for it. I blame the delays and marketing - I've been burned by so many great trailers and controlled slices of prerelease gameplay that resulted in mediocre full games in the past that it's hard not to approach this kind of marketing style with trepidation. 

I trust Remedy as a developer and I'm all about atmosphere, methodical pacing and a well told story in my games. I hope the game is good, I'll probably buy it but I feel none of the excitement for its release that I do for, say, Heavy Rain or Yakuza 3.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm skeptical of the gameplay, however the graphics are good. Can't belive they actually called the pc version of the game, now I can't even play the game at all.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ProfessorEss

All my anticipation is being used up by Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption.

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shinri

omfg guys, alan wake = a.wake = awake! 

omfg!!
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Shinri said:
" omfg guys, alan wake = a.wake = awake!  omfg!! "
S'funny cause I really like the name Alan Wake - but I really hate that connection.  :P

No surprise this is coming from the people that brought you Max Payne.
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uniform

I remember being excited for Alan Wake, years ago. Myself and a co-worker would talk about how we would need a very high end PC with Quad core, which was the future at the time. It's been so long...so very long. Alan Wake just doesn't visually impress as it once did years ago. No PC version ruined any motivation I had to get this game. The game could very well be great, but keep in mind, the amazing graphics were what impressed me.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By TheHBK

I love Max Payne but I always felt like Remedy didn't do anything recently to warrant such trust.

This game, it felt like people were excited for it and didn't know what the fuck it was.  And it still feels that way.  Only until the past year did we see that you fight with light, and how the game's story will be told.  This game was announce in 2005 and people were fucking going nuts.  Why?  I dont get it.

Visual style?  What the fuck are you guys talking about?  Its the fucking style of Seattle, Washington, thats what it is.  THere is no style, it just aims for realistic, thats about all I can see.

Atmosphere, yes I get that, but again, they didn't come up with that.  It seems to be ripped out of that Johnny Depp movie where he is a writer.

Look like a pretty good game, but I feel you guys give Remedy too much credit, at least for a new project.  Max Payne 3 would be a different story if they were making that.  You guys are ready to jack off to this game or something.  And from what?  You didn't know anything about this game for so long and you were acting like this.  Fuck even Ryan was talking about Alan Wake on podcasts but didnt know shit about it.

Oh, and the name is fucking stupid.  I got it, Max Payne, cool, he takes painkillers.  It feels like they came up with the name before they came up with the game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Jeust
@trophyhunter said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
There aren't. I only enjoyed one or two games last year and the industry seems to have stagnated to the point where I'm finding video games in general to be a waste of time. Alan Wake and Heavy Rain look like the only things coming out this year that interest me and I don't have a PS3 so I feel like it all hinges on Alan Wake to keep me interested. "
eh your problem is that you just missed out on the amazing year the PS3 had last year. If I only had a 360 last year I'd be disappointed too. Just relax this year will be better. it's  already 100000 times better with mass effect 2 and the promise of fable 3 "
I have the same problem, but if i had a ps3 i'd probably face the same, despite Sony's great year. The only game i'd buy released last year would be uncharted 2. 

Heavy Rain looks interesting, but the gameplay, like on Fahrenheit, it's a main grip, with which i don't want to come in terms with. Alan Wake for me is the most interesting game this year, as i love horror and it seems a very high quality experience with influences of the H.P. Lovecraft mythos.