I'm surprised at the Nov. NPD - 360 outsells PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

So it's out, the numbers for the November NPD. The 360 is back on top, but I have no idea why. I know that MW2 came out, but remember it's a multiplatform game and was also on the PS3. That leaves only LIVE to blame... apparently, Microsoft's 50$ a year service isn't only racking them money, but also selling systems. 

I thought for sure that the PS3 would be ahead in the winter months. It saw a slight lead in October, but that was most likely due to either the Slim or Uncharted 2. It's a shame that it hasn't carried over and kept up. I was kinda expecting the PS3 to sell most in November, let alone October.   

What do you guys think? Do you think Uncharted 2 was a system seller, or was it the Slim that gave the boost in October? Or both? 

And on the 360 side, do you think the vast majority of MW2 was sold on 360 because of the "My friends have a 360, so I'll get it for that" ideal? 

I'm wondering how many units that 360 MW2 bundle moved...    

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HayFourZee

do you have the numbers?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

What are the 360 / PS3 prices in the US nowadays?

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Whisperkill

MW2 made the 360 sell better. 

Appeals more to that audience.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
@Whisperkill said:

MW2 made the 360 sell better.

That's what I'd guess.  People who knew people who were talking about getting MW2 on their 360, yet did not own a 360 or PS3 already.
niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By niall077

Im not surprized at the ps3s numbers at all 

710k is a HUGE leap for the ps3 in both MOM and YOY numbers.  

Im a bit surpized the 360 was basically the same as it was last year.   would have expected the ps3 to hurt its sales but it didnt   

all this shows me is that the ps3 and 360 can sell really well without taking customers away from one another,  both systems have two diffrent target customers.      
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThomasP
@Whisperkill said:
" MW2 made the 360 sell better.  Appeals more to that audience. "
Good point.

I'm surprised the 360 outsold the PS3, but the race for second is far from over.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zombie2011

The software numbers for the PS3 are pretty bad. MW2 sold more than twice as much on the 360, same with Assassins Creed 2 (well almost). Besides from those two games that was it for the PS3, i'm surprised Uncharted 2 didn't keep selling.

No Caption Provided
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Famov

Do the 360 and PS3 even have different audiences? Everyone says that the 360 is the console for first and third person shooters, RPGs, and Action games. If that's the case, then what is the PS3?

Had MW2 seen the same support on the PS3 (like the bundle), I imagine that the disparity in numbers would be lessened somewhat.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By evanbrau
@zombie2011:  Good to see Dragon Age in the top ten, genuinely didn't think it'd make it in, also holy fuck MW2 sold a huge amount looks like reggie was fucking wrong about Mario outselling it.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Romination

But the thing is that it was a waaay smaller margin that the 360 had overselling the PS3 than ever before. They did something right and now it's selling a lot closer to 360 numbers (though the Wii wasn't very nice to either of them still)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By Atlas
@zombie2011: Mario Kart? Really?

Anyway, just to echo the sentiment of the thread, there should be no surprise that MW2 sold so many more copies on the 360. Think about what are the core 360 exclusive compared to the core PS3 exclusives. The PS3 is still better known for more adventure type games like Uncharted, Final Fantasy (no longer exclusive, but you know what I mean), God of War, maybe Ratchet and maybe inFamous, than they are for MAG and Killzone. Whereas the 360 is carried by shooters, especially Halo and Gears. Plus, people are more savvy these days when choosing systems, and they'll probably be aware that if you want to buy a multiplayer shooter, even with the $50 fee for Xbox Live, you're way better off getting the game for the 360, just because the online functionalities of the system are - still - superior, or at least perceived to be superior.

Assassin's Creed II, on the other hand, performed almost as well on PS3 as it did on 360; if you allow for the fact that more people have 360's, the numbers do add up to being about even. AC was originally a PS3 exclusive, and it's much more of an adventure game, and it has no multiplayer, so it's perfect for the PS3. Dragon Age: Origins will probably do well on PS3 as well, especially since the PS3 version was reviewed slightly better than the 360 version. Then again, is the DLC 360 exclusive? That has been known to tilt the balance...

Right, that's enough time talking about the business of games. I'm gonna go play Torchlight. Bi :>
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By I_smell

Yo it's christmas. One of em's cheaper.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By xyzygy
@evanbrau said:
" @zombie2011:  Good to see Dragon Age in the top ten, genuinely didn't think it'd make it in, also holy fuck MW2 sold a huge amount looks like reggie was fucking wrong about Mario outselling it. "
Reggie's bet was that it will have more sustained sales, like most Mario Wii games. Not that it would sell more from like the first two weeks.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By KamasamaK

There's already a topic about the November NPDs here.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By oldschool
@Hay4z said:

" do you have the numbers? "

Go to Source  
  PlayStation 2:  203.1K 
PlayStation 3:  710.4K 
PSP:  293.9K 
Xbox 360:  819.5K 
Wii:  1.26M 
Nintendo DS:  1.70M  

That sales figure for the DS is new record.  Also, so much for the Wii dying  ^-^ 

It seems the gloss has gone off the PS3 since the Slim and price drop.  It brought in those on the edge, but will need some serious exclusives or another decent price drop to get the next group of fence sitters to climb on board.  That includes me - local price is $500 and I am not interested until it is $400.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By evanbrau
@xyzygy: Ah, hmm thats a harder one to call for sure. Mario Kart being in that list since its release probably tells me Reggie will be right.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hamz
@Kamasama said:
" There's already a topic about the November NPDs here. "
Please continue the discussion about November's NPD figures in the above linked topic, thanks! :)