I'm surprised the the PS3 version of Bayonetta outsold X360

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By K0rN

This, seeing as how it is well known that Bayonetta is superior on the X360 I find it baffling that the PS3 version has sold the most of the two versions. Does anyone have any explaination for this because I don't recall an inferior version of one game doing better then the other.
JesseJ79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JesseJ79

Most of those sales could be in Japan where the PS3 is the more popular platform.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

That is interesting.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

Japan wouldn't buy the 360 even if it meant Hiroshima would be erased from human history.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I could easily see that the the average demographic of the PS3 is probably more likely to be interested in a game like Bayonetta, regardless of performance. Also, PS3 is more popular in Japan.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6  Edited By natetodamax

Uninformed gamers.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By buzz_killington

Yeah, as mentioned before PS3 is the dominant system in Japan (between PS3 and 360) and I think Bayonetta appeals more to the PS3 audience, even in North America.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Bones8677
@JesseJ79 said:
" Most of those sales could be in Japan where the PS3 is the more popular platform. "
Makes all the more sense for Platinum not to just toss Sega the PS3 version.  >.>
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iamjohn

Allow me to be the first obligatory "VGChatz's info has no basis in reality and you should feel bad for ever giving their guesswork info credence" post.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By ptys

Isn't the PS3 version so s##t because the western port wasn't done properly?..(e.g. why it's done better in Japan)... Kind of like using the wrong codec's on a video transfer. Bayonetta feels more like a PS3 game to me, only reason I would choose the Xbox version was the quality. Could be everyone saving their money and time for Mass Effect?..

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By K0rN
@Andorski said:
"Japan wouldn't buy the 360 even if it meant Hiroshima would be erased from human history. "

bullshit, the X360 has sold 1.2 mil. Someone has to be buying them.
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

Where does it say Japan?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By Cube
@natetodamax said:
" Uninformed gamers. "
:/ *Japan.
HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HayFourZee

I think you should wait till the npd numbers come out, there more accurate.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422

It was just most likely Japan I'm assuming. If not, I feel sorry for a lot of people, unless it was absolutely their only option.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RaikohBlade

Doesn't really matter how many units are sold, a crap port is a crap port.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By K0rN
@RaikohBlade said:
"Doesn't really matter how many units are sold, a crap port is a crap port. "

Somewhat agree, Bayonetta seems as if it was ment to be an X360 exclusive that went to the PS3 at the last minute.
Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Brontes_Muse

Another reason is that it's been out in japan for 2 months longer than the us.   It'll probably correct it's self over time with more us sales data.  

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond

#1.  It's VGChartz (BTW, I think it's totally cute that they have different numbers than the Media Create numbers, which aren't even estimated numbers and are based on individual sales to an almost perfect exactness)
#2. Japan has a much larger PS3 installed base than 360.  So naturally there will be more PS3-only owners in Japan to buy that version than the 360 version.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@ptys said:
" Isn't the PS3 version so s##t because the western port wasn't done properly?..(e.g. why it's done better in Japan)... Kind of like using the wrong codec's on a video transfer. Bayonetta feels more like a PS3 game to me, only reason I would choose the Xbox version was the quality. Could be everyone saving their money and time for Mass Effect?.. "
Exactly.  The lemmings are all waiting for Mass Effect 2.  Bayonetta is over-shadowed by the superior game that is getting major advertising dollars on tv.  I can't even see myself looking at Bayonetta for the next year since ME2 & the Dragon Age expansion (not to mention replaying each game) is going to take a considerable amount of my game time.  The PS3 has nothing in the works til March I guess (FF?).
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

It is the Japanese sales of the PS3 game, nothing more. The games been out in Japan for some time now, and only here for less than two weeks. This won't last. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

Yeah it's just Japanese. I'm interested to see the american sales after all the commercials are done playing. Last time I checked on VGChartz the 360 was already leading in NA. No surprise really seeing as how many people have a 360 and how the PS3 version got much worse reviews. Of course the Japanese version would get more sales though, because there are more PS3s in Japan by a huge margin.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn

Once again, folks: let me remind you that VGChartz is not a legitimate source for sales data as they just make things up and are constantly proven wrong.  There is a reason why they have been blacklisted by every major gaming newssite, blog and forum.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By ravensword

Its because of Japan.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Branthog

My understanding was that the game was developed primarily for the PS3 - so other than the news from reviews that it actually performs terribly, I would expect that PS3 is where I should have bought it. In other words, if I wasn't someone who read and watched stuff about videogames every day, I probably wouldn't know better and would think the PS3 is the right version to get it for.

Most people are not the "read about games every day" consumer. They see a cover or read a blurb about a game, run tot he store and buy it.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By EpicSteve

Keep in mind that people like us whom are well-informed about games are a minority. Most people who play games either don't read reviews, doesn't care what the press says, or doesn't understand technical issues.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Steve_C

There is a sales breakdown for each platform's page you know.

PS3
Americas: 52,149
Others: 43,745

Americas: 90,112
Others: 44,846

As people have stated, it's only because of Japan that the ps3 has greater worldwide sales, if these figures are accurate at all to begin with.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slippy
@Branthog:  

Actually it was developed with the 360 as the lead platform. The programming is very specific to the 360's architecture, so the PS3 port is naturally going to be horrible. The Bayonetta team have never even touched PS3 hardware as far as I know - the story goes that they originally approached Sega with it as a 360 exclusive, but agreed to let them port it once a deal was struck.