#1 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

Microsoft has just released an update to the Xbox 360 frontend. What do you guys think of it?

I think it's awesome. The new, bigger icons are much nicer to look at. It is way faster then it was. It's easier to navigate. They have finally given the indie game section it's own tab. Pressing the home button not only allows you to open your recent items but also 'My Games'. Plus it has made Netflix a faster experience.

#2 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

It's faster and better organized, but the nature of the lay out I'm still fairly cold on. It'll be a fine stopgap between now and the 720

#3 Posted by believer258 (11640 posts) -

I need to turn it on and update.

#4 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Yeaaaaah, this.

#5 Edited by believer258 (11640 posts) -

@zombiebigfoot said:

@believer258 said:

Yeaaaaah, this.

I did, and it's still way too fucking slow. As of this writing, I clicked on "My Games", waited 20 seconds, and no menu has popped up.

"20 seconds? Why, Believer, have some patience!" No, I will not have some patience. Menus should be instant in all cases. I'll wait on loads, I'll wait for it to boot, I'll wait for it to connect to the internet, but menus for things that are on the actual machine should have a loading time of almost instant, no exceptions whatsoever.

#6 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

@believer258 said:

Yeaaaaah, this.

I did, and it's still way too fucking slow. As of this writing, I clicked on "My Games", waited 20 seconds, and no menu has popped up.

"20 seconds? Why, Believer, have some patience!" No, I will not have some patience. Menus should be instant in all cases. I'll wait on loads, I'll wait for it to boot, I'll wait for it to connect to the internet, but menus for things that are on the actual machine should have a loading time of almost instant, no exceptions whatsoever.

Really? 20 seconds? I haven't had that at all. How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

#7 Edited by believer258 (11640 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@believer258 said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

@believer258 said:

Yeaaaaah, this.

Really? 20 seconds? I haven't had that at all. How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

About 140 GB, and the Xbox was bought in late 2007. Unfortunately, that Xbox red-ringed in mid-2008 and I'm not sure if I got the same one or a different one back, but it hasn't red-ringed once since.

EDIT: I'll turn it off and back on again to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT 2: All right, I did that. Maybe it was making some kind of cache before, but it was a lot quicker this time. That said, the Xbox is still very sluggish in almost everything it does.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@believer258 said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

@believer258 said:

Yeaaaaah, this.

About 140 GB, and the Xbox was bought in late 2007. Unfortunately, that Xbox red-ringed in mid-2008 and I'm not sure if I got the same one or a different one back, but it hasn't red-ringed once since.

Huh. Regardless you shouldn't have to wait 20 seconds no matter how much free space you have or when you bought your Xbox. It's just weird because I haven't had that experience.

#9 Posted by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

Doesn't seem much different to me. A bit nicer visually, though the flat panels don't do much for me, and pinning games will be useful though hides the real underlying problem that getting to your games is too difficult to begin with. The menus still load way too slowly for my liking - choosing a handful of games to pin to my home screen took an unacceptably long time. Still way too many ads, paying $60 to be sold to is absurd.

#10 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

Wait...did I get this update early? I updated a few weeks ago, but it seemed like so inconsequential a set of changes, that I didn't really care. Not really all that different than it used to be.

#11 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

They made the UI look less shitty but I don't think there's anything else worth talking about. The Netflix app feels the same as it ever did, slow and clumsy...but hey that's what I get for being spoiled using my PC on my TV for just about everything except playing Gears 3 MP.

#12 Edited by MHumphreys89 (710 posts) -

I've been using it for months now and its primary feature seems to be a slower, more laggy exprience...apart from that? It looks more like Windows 8. Yeah, Yeah I know BETA, but I just don't see it.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

I think its great its been MUCH more responsive for me. Use to I had to turn on my console and wait a good 45 seconds for my game library to load up. Now its loading up within seconds. It is still a mess to navigate though.

#14 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

well i booted up internet explorer, it's cool but you can't play videos so it's pretty much useless

also the pins thing is cool, should make faster access to the current things i'm playing/watching

#15 Posted by HelicopterSpy (129 posts) -

I launched Netflix from my iPhone. That was pretty cool. If apps start using SmartGlass better (like being able to type on the iPhone instead of the crazy text input thing currently on the xbox) that'll be awesome. Forza Horizon supposedly has some connectivity there.

#16 Posted by TekZero (2663 posts) -

I only have 1.2gb left on my 20gb launch Xbox. So I hope this doesn't take too much space.

#17 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Looks slightly less shitty than the previous dash. Haven't tested any of the new features, and I doubt I will.

#18 Posted by Coltsmoke45 (3 posts) -

Downloading it right now... I do like that games tab moved at least two spaces to the right!

#19 Posted by quimstyle (51 posts) -

@Mesoian: 100% agree.

#20 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

i think it's somehow uglier than the previous dashboard. the bigger icons are nice and all but i think the ads are starting to finally get to me

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36017 posts) -

Not new enough.

#22 Posted by Revan_NL (332 posts) -

It has a hilarious yet annoying flaw. I live in the Netherlands, my motherlanguage is Dutch. However, I usually set the systemlanguage of my Xbox, PS3 etc on English. On the 360 I even have my location set to the US just to avoid games (looking at you Ubisoft) that set menulanguage to Dutch if your profile states that you're from the Netherlands. With this new update, parts of the 'main' dashboard are displayed in Dutch while other menu options are in English. For example: if I want to change some settings I have to go to 'systeeminstellingen' (system settings), press a to selecteren (select) and then, everything is in English as it should be.

#23 Posted by TehPickle (450 posts) -

I still miss the 'blades.' I also continue to take issue with being bombarded with ad panels on a subscription service.

#24 Posted by Genkkaku (732 posts) -

I just got it earlier and I really wish the pins thing just created a new set of Metro tiles rather then have to click on a pins button

#25 Edited by mlarrabee (2886 posts) -

They need to implement submenus activated with the triggers, sort of how Assassin's Creed doubled its face button options.

Imagine pulling and holding the left trigger and having pages full of twelve pins apiece slip into view, ready to be flipped through with the thumbsticks.