Impressions of the PS3

feigr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By feigr

Over the weekend I went to visit my sister who has a PS3. 
My only previous encounter with this console consisted of playing Resident Evil 5 for 20 minutes or so, and since I am very interested in buying one for myself I ceased the opportunity to try it out as much as possible. 

The first game I played was Pixel Junk Eden. Great looking game, abysmally bad controls. This game could have been fun and interesting had the controls been anywhere near intuitive and consistent. Sometimes you swung around from a rope when hitting the button once, sometimes not. Sometimes you jumped when hitting the button twice, sometimes not. It was nothing but a huge source of frustration and did not really give me any entertainment at all. 

The second game was Pixel Junk Monsters. I have played a few flash based tower defense games before and they were okay, but I didn't expect much from this one. 
The game play itself worked great and it looked very nice as well. However it was so brutally hard that the fun you had in the first level soon faded away. I beat the first two levels easily and spent about 2 hours trying to beat the third level before I gave up and played it on the easy difficulty instead. On the easier difficulty setting it was much more fluid and entertaining.  The game works, it's just that the difficulty curve is too punishing for it to be any fun after the first levels. 

I also played the demo for Brutal Legend and Wipeout and they seemed like good games although the demos are of course not in depth enough for any further analysis.  

The console itself worked fine and now that there is a 250GB slim version available I am even more tempted to get one for myself, although I think getting a better TV is top priority, playing games on a 20" CRT is not ideal to say the least, and a PS3 really deserves some sort of HD setup.

I will be getting Muramasa The Demon Blade for the Wii and Dragon Quest 5 for DS soon, and I will post a review of atleast one of them in my profile, so stay tuned for that.

feigr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By feigr

Over the weekend I went to visit my sister who has a PS3. 
My only previous encounter with this console consisted of playing Resident Evil 5 for 20 minutes or so, and since I am very interested in buying one for myself I ceased the opportunity to try it out as much as possible. 

The first game I played was Pixel Junk Eden. Great looking game, abysmally bad controls. This game could have been fun and interesting had the controls been anywhere near intuitive and consistent. Sometimes you swung around from a rope when hitting the button once, sometimes not. Sometimes you jumped when hitting the button twice, sometimes not. It was nothing but a huge source of frustration and did not really give me any entertainment at all. 

The second game was Pixel Junk Monsters. I have played a few flash based tower defense games before and they were okay, but I didn't expect much from this one. 
The game play itself worked great and it looked very nice as well. However it was so brutally hard that the fun you had in the first level soon faded away. I beat the first two levels easily and spent about 2 hours trying to beat the third level before I gave up and played it on the easy difficulty instead. On the easier difficulty setting it was much more fluid and entertaining.  The game works, it's just that the difficulty curve is too punishing for it to be any fun after the first levels. 

I also played the demo for Brutal Legend and Wipeout and they seemed like good games although the demos are of course not in depth enough for any further analysis.  

The console itself worked fine and now that there is a 250GB slim version available I am even more tempted to get one for myself, although I think getting a better TV is top priority, playing games on a 20" CRT is not ideal to say the least, and a PS3 really deserves some sort of HD setup.

I will be getting Muramasa The Demon Blade for the Wii and Dragon Quest 5 for DS soon, and I will post a review of atleast one of them in my profile, so stay tuned for that.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

god damn, i REALLY want Murmasa for the Wii...sometimes i wish i had a Wii.  
you should really get a PS3, my friend got a PS3 and he has a wii and he LOVES it. plus it's affordable now. 

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

I went the same route and waited until I had an HD setup before putting my greasy fingerprints over a a PS3 and I can say: it was worth the wait.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I've never had a problem with Eden's controls, it's just an oddly hard game. I've never had trouble controlling it though. The problem is that the tutorial messages that tell you really how to handle things don't show up fir new players. 

As for monsters, it has wonderful music too. The OST for both Monsters and Eden are up for download on PSN, DRM-free and high quality.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

52" 1080p hdtv and 5.1 surround sound...only way to rock a ps3.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By meteora

Wait until you get a HDTV. You won't go back after that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

DQ 5 was awesome.  You'll love that.