• 102 results
#1 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

And PCs are currently in critical condition...apparently. And console fanboys rejoiced everywhere. In short the sales are down by some 10-11% and it's because of tablets.

http://www.7daysindubai.com/Shift-tablets-causing-major-slump-PC-sales/story-19508846-detail/story.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/04/11/the-death-of-the-pc-has-not-been-exaggerated/

Seriously, DO NOT scroll down to the comments section of this video.

Will there be a reason to have a desktop computer in the future? Will "hardcore" gaming completely switch over to consoles? Or is this just sensationalist bullshit?

I'd also like to note that while I prefer the PC, I'm not a supporter of the master race bullshit.

Edit: After thinking about it for a couple of minutes, once tablets are able to connect wirelessly to a monitor or TV that's the moment desktop computers are dead. Until then I can still see a use for PCs in their current, conventional form.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5470 posts) -

That's surprising considering the amount of people that brags about Pc gaming. Never thought it would have low sales.

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

That's surprising considering the amount of people that brags about Pc gaming. Never thought it would have low sales.

Well it's not about PC gaming, it's about the utility of the PC. Tablets are getting more powerful and things like browsing the web, listening to music etc. is becoming more accessible (and practical) on tablets. Not to mention far less expensive. In other words, people who aren't gamers are opting for tablets instead of PCs now.

#4 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

im happy to see this news just to stick it to those pc master race elitist pricks.

but looking at it removed from that context,

this is bad news for Pc's as in once there is a way to basically use microsoft office on tablets properly and be able to download and save files on a tablet properly, then tablets are gonna eat in to pcs more.

but pc's wont go away though, i think its pure sensationalist to start doom and gloom over Pcs this early.

#5 Edited by Sanity (1940 posts) -

I think this has little to no effect on games as most people buying hp's and dell's aren't making up a big share of the games market. If the story was that pc game sales were on the decline i would worry, but event thats hard to judge with steam becoming more and more of a percentage of the market and they don't even release those numbers anyways. This stuff crops up once or more a year and yes, im sure run of the mill desktop pc's are on the decline as far as sales go, but as i said most people aren't gaming on $400 hp's anyways.

#6 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

They talked about it a bit on the Tested podcast and Will seemed to be of the opinion it was down less then he thought it would be. I'm not really surprised, tablets have shaken things up all over. I think both PC's and consoles are feeling it but I don't think either are going away anytime soon and definitely not PC's.

#7 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

tablets, tablets everywhere!

Is PC gaming over? Again? Uhhmm, wait, I'll get back to you.

Switching over to play Blood Dragon, Endless Space, and Borderlands 2 + all DLC that I just got for about $40. Maybe I'll jump into Skyrim and fight a Reaper while crusing around in my 70s Chevy Nova. Can I do ANY of the above on a console yet? Nope? OK.

#8 Posted by OurSin_360 (937 posts) -

Once microsoft office can be fully done on a tablet, a lot of people and businesses will probably stop spending the dough on PC's. The majority of pc owners use it to surf the web and do work, once they can do that on the tablet fully they won't need it anymore.

Probably why windows is doing that terrible UI for windows 8 for touch screens

#9 Edited by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

I don't think this is related to PC gaming. The people replacing their PCs with tablets are the people who use PCs for functions that tablets can replace. Gaming is not one of those.

So if there are 100 PC owners in the world, the 50 who have gaming PCs still use their gaming PCs, while the other 50 who had standard PCs are now split between PCs and tablets.

#10 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1815 posts) -

So many people tend to look at things from the sole perspective of their hobby, and not from a general point of view. This has absolutely nothing to do PC Gaming. This does not mean PC gamers are switching to consoles and certainly doesn't mean that people are opting to buy an ipad instead building a gaming PC.

This has absolutely nothing to do with gaming at all. All this data indicates is that the people buying pre-built PCs to check email, browse the web, and use Microsoft Office have switched to tablets. If anything, PC gaming is doing better than ever with the massive success and ease of use of Steam. I'd wager that the fact that PC gaming still really requires a desktop PC is a major reason why the decline of the PC market isn't even bigger.

Anyone trying to connect this trend in any way to PC gaming or console wars is either not considering things from a broader perspective or are simply blinded by some ridiculous platform allegiance.

#11 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

I think desktops are going to start to skew to the hardcore crowd most other people will just have either a Laptop or a Tablet. I don't think that desktop machines ever go away. That just doesn't make any sort of logical sense but I can see them becoming the niche thing in the future.

#12 Posted by Aetheldod (3633 posts) -

Yes the stuff that ,ost people need pc for can be done in tablets and such ... but the tablet has a looooong way to to completely replace a PC (if ever) also why dont they mention that it is impossible to keep growing after the market is saturated? That most people really dont neeed a PC? So what the PC goes back as it once started ... a niche thing , why all the gloom and doom?

#13 Posted by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

Not surprising given the rise of tablets. Seems like everyday more and more people are using them for their usual computing needs. It was inevitable that they would cut into PC sales.

That said, I don't see PCs going away. There's still too much that only be reliably done on a proper desktop/laptop computer (can't imagining editing video on a tablet). Worst case scenario, PCs fall out of vogue with the greater populace and relegate themselves to niche hardware status.

#14 Posted by BigJeffrey (5082 posts) -

actual building PCs is going to be in the minority. How many people use steam? compared to the number of people buying tablets and leaving their PCs in the dust.

The biggest problem with PCs is they are too good and don't break down. Why buy a new PC when i have a tablet. When i want to use Word i'll use my PC. everything else on a tablet

#15 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Tablets and phones aren't taking game sales, the people that want that specific type of experience will not replace it with, as they currently are, shallow mobile games. PC gaming sales, and console gaming sales are in decline because this generation dragged on too long, and the consoles being so old, holds back PC gaming for obvious reasons. Yes, the future points to big tier games playable on mobile devices with either a tactile touchscreen for actual buttons or a unified gaming device (not crappy android clip on controllers). The shift will happen extremely gradually, and that shift is still not even close to being over.

#16 Posted by benpicko (2011 posts) -

Anybody that was buying PCs for gaming are still doing that. They aren't the ones converting to tablets.

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@thedudeofgaming:

As far as I remember this story, it says that the emergent tablet market is encroaching on desktop sales - which makes a lot of sense. I guess for most casual users, a tablet is all you need. Core gaming is indeed increasingly niche on PC, relying mostly on console ports, and of course, crowd sourced ultra enthusiast entertainment software and smallish indie endeavors.

Looking at the pace at which these tablets get more powerful, it won't be long 'til they'll be as capable of running core games as consoles like the PS4 and Xbox One. Tablets will likely catch-up halfway through this generation. It's just a matter of time 'til tablets will connect natively to a TV and gamepad for some proper core gaming.

In the bigger picture, I think the emergent tablet gaming market is just another opportunity for the industry. There always will be a sustainable market for core PC games, it's just a matter of reasonable expectations and budgeting. The real wild card is streaming from the cloud - not as a PC market killer, rather it might potentially cause an explosive growth of the overall core gaming market.

#18 Edited by Nights (615 posts) -

Are tablets truly the cause? What type of "gamer" suddenly abandons PC gaming for mobile devices? How much of a crossover is there? Are there honestly people out there who used to play PC games like Skyrim, but have jumped ship in favor of playing Zynga games on their tablet? What type of games were these casual players buying, and how often? Wouldn't they all just be playing social games like Farmville (or whatever the latest Facebook craze is)?

As someone that has a phone and a tablet, I don't find multitasking, web browsing or content creation (though I do love Sketchbook Pro) on mobile devices particularly enjoyable. Compared to my desktop, it's just too good damn slow (from an input and connectivity standpoint). I'm so use to the ease and speed of a desktop that anything else would be unbearable if I had to use it on a daily basis.

#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (8380 posts) -

@nights said:

Are tablets truly the cause?

Yes, because the people buying tablets instead of PC's aren't gamers.

#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

im happy to see this news just to stick it to those pc master race elitist pricks.

this is bad news for Pc's as in once there is a way to basically use microsoft office on tablets properly and be able to download and save files on a tablet properly, then tablets are gonna eat in to pcs more.

but pc's wont go away though, i think its pure sensationalist to start doom and gloom over Pcs this early.

You really are clueless.

#21 Posted by Darson (451 posts) -

How can you even accurately relate this to PC gaming when a majority of PC gamers never buy a computer and just build one themselves? Also, most people have computers regardless of their gaming capabilities so sales can't be compared to consoles because they are branded and are not upgradable.

#22 Edited by Aterons (198 posts) -

OK, first thing first, this doesn't seem to take in consideration "PC parts" it only takes into consideration pre-build PCS or at least that is the impression that it gives me. If so, it can also mean "more people are learning how to build a PC and not get ripped off by hundred of dollars" and you have a positive. Also, I believe most people who play games on a PC ether know enough to build their own PC or are rich enough to buy both a PC and a console. Thus, it's irrelevant to how many people play games on a PC.

Also, porting from Lniux to window or from window to MAC it's not that much different from porting from PC to console and it's getting easier and easier to port from console to PC with the next gen builds. So if you want to study anything study "number of PCs that use MS window" because Apple's OS and Lniux OSes aren't the OS people play games on and thus a guy owning a PC with only mint on it is as irrelevant to PC game sales as a guy owning a gameboy is to console game sales.

#23 Edited by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

So, I guess we're back at the start of the "PC gaming is dead"/"PC master race" cycle.

#24 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

We're doomed. Dooooooomed!

#25 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2131 posts) -

So, I guess we're back at the start of the "PC gaming is dead"/"PC master race" cycle.

Yep. Let's just sit back and watch history repeat itself once more...

#26 Edited by RonGalaxy (3223 posts) -

Mods are like adding sugar to water. Sugar is sweet, but it ruins the purity of water. I trust the game designers original vision over some modder in russia making weird anime mods anyday

#27 Posted by Crysack (327 posts) -

Not really. PC gaming is better than ever thanks to Steam and the thriving indie market. These numbers simply reflect the casual users who have transitioned to smart phones and tablets for their facebook-browsing needs and the like.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -

This news has literally nothing to do with PC gaming. The people who have stopped buying Dells and eMachines aren't the people with i7s and GTXs.

It could not be more of a stretch to equate this to PC gaming dying (once again, for like the eighth time now). Steam has an impressive streak of 100% growth year over year. I can't find the numbers for 2012 with a quick google search, but it's probably safe to assume the streak continues. Implying that PC gaming is showing even a hint of dying is being willfully ignorant.

#29 Edited by Zlimness (563 posts) -

Thank God, PC was getting too mainstream anyway. As an elite supernerd, being lumped together with inferior tablet peons is just insulting. Using your fingers as input device? Barbaric. Do you eat with your fingers as well? I bet you use your hands instead of toilet paper to WIPE YOUR ASS! Go back to your "tablets" and your "smart phones". We didn't want you here ANYWAY.

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9872 posts) -

Because everything else you own has turned into a PC.

There's only one direction Sony and MS consoles have gone over the past two generations and that is towards PC gaming. Looks like that's set to continue next gen too. PS4 and X1 will have much more in common with a PC from ~15 years ago than with a console from ~15 years ago. Couch won over Desk, but in terms of hows games are designed, PC gaming won idealogically ages ago.

New consoles are great for those of us still playing on actual PCs, because it takes that hard limit of what is commercially viable and shifts it forward again finally. PCs will still be limited by the new console hardware sooner or later, but at least it's a higher limit.

#32 Posted by Korwin (2897 posts) -

These losses primarily effect the mainstream consumer market (people buying cheap laptops every few years), there has been a shift in that sector towards tablet and mobile coupled with longer viability of existing hardware. This however doesn't effect the enthusiast space much, gaming PC's will be around for some time to come.

#33 Posted by joshwent (2301 posts) -

Don't forget about PC owners who ALSO bought a tablet. We have PCs. They're reliable, and when a part breaks you don't through the whole thing out, you get a new hard drive or upgrade a video card.

Tablets are the new comer, so I'm sure lots of people who are proud PC owners (who wouldn't add to the list since they haven't bought one recently, are adding to the tablet surge themselves.

If anything, this shows me that people building their own PCs or just fixing parts is becoming more prevalent, not that anything is "dying".

#34 Edited by hollitz (1560 posts) -

I think most PC gamers build their own PCs.

#35 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

Most people who use computers don't need a powerhouse, and now there are alternative options. I don't see where the big surprise is. There will still forever be a market for the PC for those who do actual work and game. It will be a diminished market, but that is perfectly fine.

#36 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

PC sales are down 10%.

You mean like people who own PCs don't see a reason to upgrade?

Yes, I could see that.

PC tech has slowed down, doesn't mean PC games have.

#37 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1672 posts) -

I was REALLY hoping we could skip that this time around.

#38 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

This would be relevant if PCs were exclusively gaming machines.

I don't care if a bunch of assholes who only play Bookworm and Candy Crush aren't buying PCs.

#39 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1047 posts) -

Oh no! *throws PC out of the window*

#40 Posted by Karkarov (3189 posts) -

Uh? This is news why? Have you looked at the economy lately? Almost everyone's sales are down in every industry. Why did you think PC's wouldn't be effected? As for tablets? Don't make me laugh. They can replace laptops .... MAYBE but they will never replace a straight up PC. There are things you just can't do well with a tablet, and the fact that one of the selling points of Microsoft Surface is it comes with a keyboard is ridiculously telling.

#41 Posted by Kaiserreich (711 posts) -

The console wars really are here. Oh well time to avoid gaming forums for a few years.

#42 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Pre-built PCs, not PC-components for custom built PCs. Move along people, there's nothing to see here.

#43 Posted by RVonE (4664 posts) -
#44 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3222 posts) -

Sure they're not selling well, but so are record players.

As long as people buy them still, there will always be a market for desktop PCs. No need to worry, guys.

#45 Posted by Hunkulese (2787 posts) -

This has nothing to do with gaming and high end pcs have actually seen sales increases in the last few years.

#46 Edited by TobbRobb (4754 posts) -

Bah. Tablets are too weak for a multitude of things you can do on a PC. As long as there is a market, they will live on. The only major change I can see is that there is less focus on low-end or home PCs just for surfing/writing and more focus on selling the bigger stuff. Which you know, Isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

#47 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

I blame Windows 8.

#48 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Windows 8 didn't help at all. Plus, nobody I know buys pre-built PCs, so there's that, too.

#49 Edited by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

@sooty said:

@mrfluke said:

You really are clueless.

YAY!

cause your obviously the authoritative source right? and you know this stuff better than all of us here and are not just voicing an opinion like the rest of us right?

#50 Posted by armaan8014 (5416 posts) -

pc master race yo