• 102 results
#51 Posted by Scroll (598 posts) -

I've technically never bought a pre-built pc. The pc gaming market is alive and healthy.

#52 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

I would gladly play my games on consoles, if those consoles would be able to run at 60 frames and not require a 2.5 minutes boot-up sequences and insane loading times. Only a few select games today benefit of being played on a console. I haven't bought one multiplatform on my home consoles since 2011. Its all being played through Steam on my PC. Saints Row 3, Hitman, Batman, Darksiders 2, Tomb Raider, Dishonored, Deus Ex, Witcher, DmC, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Call of Duty and the list goes on and on.

I've got nothing against consoles, but I sure do have something against those games that can't barely hold a steady 30 FPS. Playing on a PC gives you the version envisioned by the devs, and showed in gameplay videos ( although often shown with an xbox controller to fool the larger console audience ).

I don't doubt for a second that only 10% of gamers have a gaming PC. But it doesn't necessarily make it a dying platform, since its always been around as a working tool. It's not like if the PC was a gaming device funded by one company.

#53 Posted by cloudnineboya (815 posts) -

pc is dead long live pc,i had a great time while it lasted.

#54 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

How is this surprising? I honestly would've expected more. 10-11% is nothing when you consider that people don't buy pre-built PCs every year like they do with Apple products. The last time I bought a pre-built PC was back in 2006, ever since I've been buying my own parts. Unless you care about Steam, there's absolutely no reason to get a new PC. You don't need a desktop if you just want to check your e-mails everyday.

If anything, PC gaming will be the last to go, not the first. There's no other system available that allows you to not only download and play with mods, but also build and develop them as well. And PC gaming is not just a Western phenomenon, console gaming is nowhere near as popular in Second or Third World countries as it is back in the States. There's no other system that has the incomprehensibly large selection and backlog of games as does the PC. Seriously, you can play every Fallout game, all the shit flash games you want, crap Facebook games with your "friends", or play the latest and greatest AAA titles on the PC. Also Motorbike.

#55 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Those sales are mainly attributed to mainstream PCs, aka mom and dad are buying a $500 tablet instead of a $500 HP desktop nowadays.

Off topic but it has been brought up by some I too hate the PC gamer elitism on forums. Even now primarily playing on the PC nowadays I find it so annoying. All platforms have their strengths and weaknesses, deal with it.

#56 Posted by Zelyre (1193 posts) -

It has nothing to do with PC gaming. People who buy your traditional desktops are not PC gamers. The PCs they're buying are not capable of playing PC games. PC gaming desktops are boutique sales and many PC gamers buy components and build their own.

Mainstream PCs, the ones you buy at Best Buy go on youtube, netflix, and facebook. The PCs that have been capable of doing that 5 years ago can still do those same functions just as well today. Of that demographic, a good chunk have jumped to the Apple side, since those computers do the same thing, yet have a higher resistance to malware most PC users get from installing every single damn thing that pops up on their screen.

For the majority of traditional desktop users, a tablet does exactly what they'd do with an e-machines PC does at a smaller or similar price point while offering a much more convenient form factor.

Business wise, at least at our institution, replacement cycles have gotten stretched out. There's no need to upgrade computers every 3 years when a 3 year old PC performs the same functions as a brand new PC. There's no reason to go to Win8 as for a large institution, it's a step backwards. The transition to Office 07 was a giant pain because of ribbons. I can't imagine the shit storm an IT department would get rolling out Win8 to every desktop.

#57 Posted by kkotd (302 posts) -

Edit: After thinking about it for a couple of minutes, once tablets are able to connect wirelessly to a monitor or TV that's the moment desktop computers are dead. Until then I can still see a use for PCs in their current, conventional form.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a single tablet play AAA games as good or better than a PC, let alone a console. What tablets will be useful for is streaming from your Desktop while you're on the go. But as of right now, aside from the Razer tablet, which costs around $1000 in and of itself, there is no alternative to getting a budget gaming pc or a console to play games on. The reason I don't buy into the whole 'mobile gaming will kill off console or PC gaming' debate, is because of hardware costs. They're charging $600 for a phone right now, a phone that is about a decade behind in terms of processing and graphical power. And it's not going to get any better / cheaper because of how low formfactor a phone is. Hell, look at the Xi3 'Steam Box' which is a bit bigger than a phone, yet has the power of a desktop. They want around $1500 for it. A tablet may seem bigger, but is usually as thin or thinner than a phone, which means less room for parts, and let's face it, tablets are getting really hot temperature-wise. The final straw for this argument, for me, came with the recently released Xcom port to Ios. The game looks ugly, really ugly, and still hitches up or crashes on an 4th Gen Ipad. The retina display usually makes graphics look amazing, but this was like watching an old DVD on a Bluray player that doesn't upscale. It controlled terribly and had few options that the PC version did and they wanted $20 which is about double what the PC version costs if you look hard enough.

#58 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Anybody have any data on the sale numbers of PC games? Because this doesn't necessarily spell the death of PC gaming.

#59 Posted by AlexW00d (6273 posts) -

I feel I got dumber reading through some of the comments in this thread :(

#60 Edited by Xanadu (347 posts) -

@mrfluke: We, The PC Master Race, are not fazed by this because we are to busy playing all of our games at 60fps+ and buying mass amounts of Steam games on sell for almost nothing in price.

#61 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

I feel I got dumber reading through some of the comments in this thread

#62 Edited by mrfluke (5149 posts) -

@xanadu: more power to you, the pc gaming community is fine,steam users are like what 100+ million and counting (im pulling that number out of my ass, have no idea how much people use steam)

but the general pc audience that just uses pcs for basic stuff is losing interest in pc's when their tablets can do the same basic things they use it for, thats what im largely referring to (yes theres actual people that use pcs not for gaming, shocking i know).

i still question how large that scene is that builds pcs and then just swaps them out for newer parts. but i imagine theres no hard numbers publicly available, and i have to imagine there is a sizeable percentage that dont swap out parts in their custom rigs.

#63 Posted by EXTomar (4718 posts) -

This is not news since PC sales have down for years.

#64 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@nights said:

Are tablets truly the cause?

Yes, because the people buying tablets instead of PC's aren't gamers.

You sure about that? Thats a pretty wild claim. What if they instead just get a console and a tablet instead of a gaming PC?

Plus there are tablet games, alot of them actually, which are constantly gaining ground.

#65 Posted by EXTomar (4718 posts) -

A major factor is that PC apps and hardware/software tech is lasting long. A PC built in 2008 is still pretty good and will run most things.

#66 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

I would imagine console gamers (or just fanboys) should be more fearful of losing consoles in the future than PC gamers. Tablets are directly competing with ease of use that the consoles so far have. There's no real link between store bought prebuilt computers and computer gaming save for facebook games and the like. Also tablets would have a long ways to go to compete with computing power and sheer storage size of the personal computer. I'd say there'll always be room for desktop computers in regards to doing tasks beyond the casual. But entry level laptops and desktop computers could very well be on their way out and be replaced with all-in-one tablets.

#67 Edited by Jay4321 (71 posts) -

The responses by console fanboys against PC gamers has always been hilarious to me, but I don't see how this downward shift in sales overall is hurting PC gaming. In fact an argument can be made that the PC Gaming is in better shape than it was when the XBOX 360/PS3/Wii (7th generation) consoles launched. Its one of the reasons I don't understand the logic that the pro-console only crowd is happy about this news.

As far as the slide? It makes sense because budget laptops are mostly a TERRIBLE experience. I purchased a cheap laptop to carry around for productivity at best buy a couple of weeks back for $300 and had to return it. The performance was so bad that even an SSD inserted into it saw minimal gain. The HDMI port on that thing was a joke as connecting it to an external monitor slowed the laptop to a crawl. Now throw that against something like the Nexus 7 which is only $200 and snappy and its a no brainer for the average joe going to Wal-Mart. Those wanting to browse Facebook/Twitter or do any surfing on the web will be happy with the added convenience over a traditional budget laptop and have better battery life as well.

I think the Desktop/Laptop market will continue to shrink to a more specific audience which will benefit gamers in the long run. Those budget builds will not be the main focus of these manufacturers soon and will build computers that are aggressively targeted towards heavy media consumers, music creators, and gamers. Once they see that some serious money can be made from this audience in terms of numbers pushed we will see a very healthy market in terms of hardware sales. Are the days of PC sales ever going to recover to what they were years ago? Probably not, but a tighter focus will benefit us.

It would also help if the next version of Windows didn't suck

#68 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2768 posts) -

What does it even mean when you say PC sales are down? What is it we are talking about when we say PC? PC means personal computer, so tablets are personal computers too. Thus, what we seem to be saying is the form factor of PC that is a box on your desk is in decline. If you are a company making computers that are just boxes on a desk your business is shrinking. Then again if you make tablets or smart phones what you make is part of a growing market.

But, wait a second name me a major PC (box) manufacturer that isn't making tablets?? Hmm? So what we are ** really** saying is companies not yet making tablets or smartphones need to looks to grab some part of the market...which most are...so who the @^%# cares.

This 'Chicken-Little' (aka: the sky is falling) shit has been happening for years. People keep confusing 'form factor' with 'function'. Yes, the huge sales of beige boxes on desks declined when laptops appeared, laptops declined when netbooks appeared. Netbooks declined when ultra notebooks hit a good price. And now PC and laptops are declining in the face of tablets & smartphones. But, people are STILL buying computer devices, and the only losers are those companies that never stake claims in new territories with new ideas.

#69 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

Tablets may eventually replace the kind of desktop that your grandma bought to check her e-mail, but the kinds of PC's that PC gamers build aren't going away anytime soon. And really, I don't care for tablets at all. Touch screens are just too damn unwieldy, I prefer the tactile feedback of a good keyboard and mouse. If nothing else, PC components will continue to be sold to PC enthusiasts, who are in turn often fans of video games.

#70 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

In short the sales are down by some 10-11% and it's because of tablets.

Wow, a whole 10%? Shocking! And this is while Windows 8 has flopped in the market. Which means, to anyone with the capability to think beyond the short term, that PC gaming sales have only been MARGINALLY affected by Windows and PC desktop downturn. Or, in proper perspective, the absolute failure of Windows 8 to capture new market share has barely had any effect on PC sales and PC gaming. 14% of New PC sales over a period which was recorded in the from 2011 to mid 2012 and reported in MARCH of THIS YEAR.

In other words, this is marginal at worst and more importantly, OUT OF DATE and OUT OF CONTEXT reporting.

You know what else was happening in 2011 and 2012? The American Dollar was in the toilet. A 10% slump in LUXURY PRODUCT SALES in that sort of economy is actually indicative of the continued success of products which weren't affected more dramatically.

What rubbish.

#71 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

You PC guys are pretty sensitive. Post something about PC sales going down and you get hyper defensive. Post something positive about the next-gen consoles and you jump in going "my PC is better!!". Look in almost any PS4 or Xone threads and you'll see some smug asshole going "My PC is better" like some tool.

Again. This is GiantBomb, this isn't supposed to be an "Us vs. Them" situation. Games are good for everyone. Stop freaking out.

Less PC sales, is not a good thing for PC gaming, sure you can claim its only those people buying PC's to check their email, do work, ect. But i dunno about you, but when i was a kid growing up, i played tons of games on the family PC, i never had a console as a kid. So kids growing up with tablets aren't going to be into PC gaming later on. It'll effect things in the long run.

It will also effect things from an install base point of view. "Well only so many people have PC gaming capable PCs, only so many are gamers, only so many are into this genre". With the massive cost of development for large games it'll make developing for the PC less attractive from a buisness standpoint. Since you'll want those machines in peoples homes.

Even someone like me who prefers the ease of console gaming over PC games (nothing i hate more than dealing with driver issues or spending 20 minutes mucking with graphic settings to find out what specifically was causing that fps dip). I'll benefit from PC gaming doing well too. CDprojektred (weird spelling i could be wrong) ported Witcher 2 over, i played that recently on the 360, great fucking game. I loved it. I'm pumped for Witcher 3. It's not going to be "PC vs. console" stop being so stubborn. Everyone gains from everyone else.

I hate when people are happy when something fails or doesn't do well. Because it doesnt help you at all.

#72 Posted by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

PC sales and PC usage is not the same thing. People just don't replace their desktop as often as they used to. Considering the performance i'm getting on Tomb Raider i just bought on my 3 year old computer i'm not in a hurry to upgrade either.

So i haven't changed anything in my PC in 3 years but i never used it more for games then i am at the moment.

#73 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

They're probably only tracking dell/HP whatever sales.

I'd like to think if you took that, and the fact most PC gamers just buy parts and build it themselves.. it would be an increase, or at least not such a drastic decrease

#74 Posted by SoulAssassin808 (57 posts) -

Are steam sales and other digital only retailers even counted in those things. Cause I thought they never give out sale numbers.

#75 Posted by Elwoodan (829 posts) -

I question data based on 'unit' sales because honestly, how many people just buy a PC? With how easy it is to find and put the parts together I would think your missing out on all the people who just upgrade part by part over time, and from a games perspective I don't know how many digital outlets make their sales public, so of course disk sales are going down, everyone is switching to digital. I know Steam (with 3 million + concurrent users) has been growing by leaps and bounds, and they don't release sales figures.

#76 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I think you guys are overestimating how many people build their own PCs, sure its a significant number, but its not "a majority of PC gamers".

Lots of people just buy PC's from Best Buy or something so they can play SimCity or MMO's.

#77 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

The PC may be down! But they will never be out!

Just throwing it out there, I play consoles but I want a pc

#78 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

In other news: radio is dying, no one reads books, people don't play sports and we're all going to inevitably sell our bodies to apple when they announce how to integrate our brains directly into iOS.

#79 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

I'm dubious about these generalized trend pieces about the decline of an industry. They often group large, nebulously defined areas without any nuance. PC sales may be down, but is it only due to tablets? Do laptops count or only desktops? What about Apple computers (not tablets or phones), or home built computers.

These reports only mention Dell, HP, and Lenovo. Companies that build primarily for enterprise, not the home or gaming PC market. If this is what is meant by a decline in sale then yeah, no shit. The country is in an economic depression, companies won't be replacing their computers as frequently since they are too busy eliminating redundancy or downsizing.

My office of 250+ people used to get new Dell desktops every 18 months when our service contract was renewed. In the past two years after a few rounds of layoffs this has completely changed. We only get new terminals when needed. Even when that happens there is an evaluation whether the employee would be better off using an iMac or Macbook Air since these machines need less service that the crappy, budget terminals Dell sells. This can't be a unique phenomenon since my office is a typically sized New York company. I don't use my work machine for anything more complicated than running an email client and using our internal intranet. There's no need for a new machine every few years at the expense of a co-worker. Anyone that's doing serious development probably isn't buying a stock desktop anyway. They custom build or use a Mac. So if a decline in PC sales means a decline in pre-built, enterprise computers, then yes that's the truth, but I guess that headline isn't as sexy.

#80 Edited by MarkTheSlark (25 posts) -

@dixavd said:

In other news: radio is dying, no one reads books, people don't play sports and we're all going to inevitably sell our bodies to apple when they announce how to integrate our brains directly into iOS.

I like how you took factual news and then tried to downplay it with other false over-exaggerated topics that do not even relate to the news story at hand. People who have no defense usually resort to such tactics.

#81 Posted by StarvingGamer (8227 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

@nights said:

Are tablets truly the cause?

Yes, because the people buying tablets instead of PC's aren't gamers.

You sure about that?

Yep.

#82 Edited by Evilsbane (4615 posts) -

Once microsoft office can be fully done on a tablet, a lot of people and businesses will probably stop spending the dough on PC's. The majority of pc owners use it to surf the web and do work, once they can do that on the tablet fully they won't need it anymore.

Probably why windows is doing that terrible UI for windows 8 for touch screens

@mrfluke said:

im happy to see this news just to stick it to those pc master race elitist pricks.

but looking at it removed from that context,

this is bad news for Pc's as in once there is a way to basically use microsoft office on tablets properly and be able to download and save files on a tablet properly, then tablets are gonna eat in to pcs more.

but pc's wont go away though, i think its pure sensationalist to start doom and gloom over Pcs this early.

This has already been done, the Windows Surface tablet has the RT version with built in office for the price a Base model iPad4, the Windows Surface Pro it is just a 600-700 dollar laptop smashed into a tablet it is full Windows 8 you can literally run steam on it and play games so in two years from now you will have a product that can do that for way less than 899.99.

#83 Edited by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

If I'm not mistaken this is about pre-built shit units from companies like Dell, HP, Compaq, or Alienware. No?

Good.

I'd like to see the numbers on actual HARDWARE sales instead of the rip off pre-built units that only stupid people buy. I have a feeling that Intel, nVidia, and AMD as a whole are doing pretty decent. Windows 8 didn't help though, and that's also good. Microsoft needs to learn a lesson with their hubris.

#84 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

I've noticed that even in the traditionally desktop-dependant world of commercial video editing, editors are ditching desktops entirely for the increased mobility provided by laptops. As those get. Ore an more powerful I think the only desktops we'll be seeing are gonna be servers and shit.

I like cutting and gaming on my desktop but if I could afford the switch to a mighty laptop, I probably would do it in a heartbeat.

#85 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

The HP machine I had was pretty good, but I needed to upgrade and was getting more into pc gaming, so 2 or three years ago I built a PC.

My mom is "looking" into a new computer (as in never going to buy one). But I have reccomend an HP for her.

#86 Edited by subyman (615 posts) -

What does the general PC market have to do with PC gaming? Nothing. Sales are down in dumb netbooks, craptops, and other junk that people figured out they didn't need to upgrade every 2 years. PC gaming is going strong, just look at Steam.

#87 Posted by mrfluke (5149 posts) -

@evilsbane: the price of the surface got slashed also, not sure if its that model or the other one.

#88 Posted by EuanDewar (4908 posts) -

uhh

#89 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

@dixavd said:

I like how you took factual news and then tried to downplay it with other false over-exaggerated topics that do not even relate to the news story at hand. People who have no defense usually resort to such tactics.

What are you talking about. My argument is a pretty obvious and well documented one. Technology, leisure activities and definitive interfaces do not die. They never do. They haven't for millennia and won't for the foreseeable millennia. If you think otherwise then you are clearly naive and foolish. New activities just become bigger than previous ones; but the previous one does not die. They only die when they are used for a very specific and objectively testable task. Anything that involves anyone saying "I like..." does not fit; and therefore, will not be replaced.

#90 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1785 posts) -

Well, this man eloquently stated my first reaction to this thread:

The console wars really are here. Oh well time to avoid gaming forums for a few years.

Pre-built PCs are down. What are the probably causes? Obvious starters are tablets, easy access to the internet on smart phones, longer lifespan of modern PCs, and the market's reaction to Windows 8. There are probably others. Can any of these be claimed to be a direct cause? Hard to say, but it's likely a mix of all of the above.

Now, obviously, this 10% decrease in pre-built sales will continue unabated for the unforeseeable future, thus rendering the market a third of it's current self in a matter of years. Also, I stubbed my toe today, and based on current trends, my right leg will be a bloody stump by the end of the month.

#91 Edited by Slaegar (709 posts) -

@sooty said:

@mrfluke said:

im happy to see this news just to stick it to those pc master race elitist pricks.

but looking at it removed from that context,

this is bad news for Pc's as in once there is a way to basically use microsoft office on tablets properly and be able to download and save files on a tablet properly, then tablets are gonna eat in to pcs more.

but pc's wont go away though, i think its pure sensationalist to start doom and gloom over Pcs this early.

You really are clueless.

What Sooty said.

Windows based computers are down, yes, but that is every Windows based computer, not just the gaming one's. That would be like saying the car racing scene is dead because all car sales are down.

Console sales are also way down and a lot of that is from tablets as well. Kids want to play Angry Birds and the worst possible Minecraft version and not Call of Duty. If you ask a kid what he wants for Christmas an Xbox 360 or an iPad most will say an iPad.

Similarly adults who are too stupid to use a computer that practically runs itself prefer iPads because they can just HUR DUR and roll their face on it until their email shows up. They don't need a computer for that.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/06/steam-sales-increase-100-percent-for-the-seventh-straight-year/

Also the Master Race thing, once again, is a partially tongue-in-cheek term for a passionate group that wants to work a little harder to get the best possible experience out of their games.

edit: readability

#92 Posted by Rowr (5625 posts) -

For some reason everyone seems to be too dumb to understand that "enthusiast PC" owners and "average baby boomer email/internet" are two different things.

PC sales are down because it's no longer a requirement for every family to have a PC in their house with the huge range of affordable laptops and tablets now available.

It's pretty simple, stop making this something it isn't

#93 Posted by BenLuke (67 posts) -

^Yeah, was going to say that the people switching to tablets instead of PCs are unlikely to get big into PC gaming, so using this as a "PC gaming is dying da duh" (Aren't we over that by now anyay.) thing is a bit dumb.

#94 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@dixavd said:

There is nothing to downplay. This news has not really much to do with PC gaming but rather with PC in offices etc.

#95 Posted by mrfluke (5149 posts) -

@slaegar: ill give you credit, you are giving an explanation and presenting your argument, rather than be a prick and drop an insult and leave like @sooty but hey thats how that shithead rolls, more power to him, just adds credence to my opinion that some of you are elitist pricks that live in their little circle.

i never said its the end of Pc GAMING though and i never said pcs are dead either, im very well aware that there is a thriving steam community (but im also willing to bet that a sizeable portion of that community plays the mobas like LoL and Dota 2 and barely anything else or buys barely anything else that isnt for those mobas,).im talking what could happen long term.

you do know the Pc scene doesn't revolve around people who have custom machines right? im sure thats a significant number, but im sure there's a significant number also that buys ready built pcs as well.

there's a difference between the passionate group that swaps out parts in their custom rigs, and the average joe that buys a ready built one to play what i would imagine is the least taxing stuff like league and simcity and finds swapping/upgrading parts daunting? (which i imagine this same hypothetical average joe is also part of the steam community as well)

what happens if average joe decides to just go the console route as the majority of the new big games will be benchmarked for those consoles and its all set up for them? or just says fuck it to both consoles and pcs and just gets a tablet?

you see adults being too stupid to use computers, i see it as they love the quick convenience that a tablet offers (crazy right?, that there's millions of people out there that dont bitch/troll on message boards like us over the stupidest of things? shocking!)

to sum up all the bull i wrote above, you are foolish if you think the rise of tablets wont affect newcomers to pc also, i have no doubt its eating away at consoles but dont underestimate its potential effect on pc people..

oh and btw, that linked you linked at, shows total steam accounts at 40 million ( over 50 million as of november of last year http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/steam-has-50-million-users-compared-to-origins-30-million/) keep in mind the steam sales, those games go for like 10 bucks and less, how much profit do you think devs see from that 10 bucks after steam takes its share? ( i dont have the answer either, none of us do, but its something to keep in mind)

and if your counter argument is used games on consoles, just remember the user also gets money from trading them in, and publishers have said used games are important to our business and to the consumers as it gives users the ability to buy new games with their credit.

also the 360 and ps3 stand at over 70 million consoles sold each as of october-november of last year. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/20/70-million-xbox-360s-have-been-sold

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57550862-235/sony-weve-sold-70-million-ps3-consoles-worldwide/

also add in the people that buy used systems as well and that number shoots up even more.

im sure the same rule applies for console people as well in that there's one game the majority will stick on, or the majority will use it for netflix.

but my point is the consoles install bases are nothing to slouch over either.

#96 Posted by TyCobb (1971 posts) -

PC sales are probably down because PCs last so much longer now. A PC bought 3-4 years ago is more than capable to handle everyday life needs. We are away from the point where advancements are coming out so rapidly that you need to keep buying PCs to keep up. It used to be that as soon as you bought a PC and took it home it was considered obsolete. This is no longer the case and hasn't been for quite awhile.

Computers at any office now easily have a 5+ year lifespan. PC advancements are kind of in limbo when it comes to you average consumer. Of course gaming drives the enthusiasts to keep building better machines, but there's nothing to make the average user want a new PC.

#97 Edited by OurSin_360 (881 posts) -

You guys are wrong if you think it doesn't have any impact on pc gaming. The less prebuilt sales, the higher the cost for parts for the rest of us. It's already happening with Ram and HDD's.

#98 Posted by Slaegar (709 posts) -

@mrfluke:

PC gamers always will be the minority. To play games on a PC you understand you will never be part of the biggest group. Even the PC version of Battlefield 3 sales didn't beat the consoles despite being advertised as a PC first game. The Xbox 360 version won like pretty much every multiplatform game, even though that was the worst version by far. It doesn't help that EA didn't count digital sales on the game. Battlefield 3's PC retail copy was an empty box with a code in it.

People are buying tablets instead of PCs and Consoles. This isn't going to help either group. This is laughing at the people on beach property as their houses flood while the water keeps rising closer to your house.

The origin of this topic seems to be really grasping at straws. "PC sales are down! Suck it NERDS!" is going to get people in your thread to disagree even if it smells trolly. Its been well known that PC sales in general are down.

I wonder how much of that has to do with disinterest in Windows 8 on a whole. Why would you want a crappy tablet interface on your not tablet when you can buy a decent tablet with hardware made for it?

#99 Posted by groverat (137 posts) -

PCs are, I think, just lasting longer. I'm on a machine I built in 2007 with a slight update in 2009. I have no plans to replace it or make significant upgrades.

Here is my current PC:
Core2Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz) - Released January 2007
ATI 5770 - Released October 2009
6GB of some kind of RAM I don't even remember
An SSD from 2009

This thing runs every game I play (which, admittedly, is not many) perfectly well. I'm playing XCom right now and it is beautiful.

#100 Posted by mrfluke (5149 posts) -

@slaegar said:

@mrfluke:

PC gamers always will be the minority. To play games on a PC you understand you will never be part of the biggest group. Even the PC version of Battlefield 3 sales didn't beat the consoles despite being advertised as a PC first game. The Xbox 360 version won like pretty much every multiplatform game, even though that was the worst version by far. It doesn't help that EA didn't count digital sales on the game. Battlefield 3's PC retail copy was an empty box with a code in it.

People are buying tablets instead of PCs and Consoles. This isn't going to help either group. This is laughing at the people on beach property as their houses flood while the water keeps rising closer to your house.

The origin of this topic seems to be really grasping at straws. "PC sales are down! Suck it NERDS!" is going to get people in your thread to disagree even if it smells trolly. Its been well known that PC sales in general are down.

I wonder how much of that has to do with disinterest in Windows 8 on a whole. Why would you want a crappy tablet interface on your not tablet when you can buy a decent tablet with hardware made for it?

i agree, it doesn't help either group with the rise of tablets, and i agree with your analogy. as my previous post was more in defense of the consoles, but i do agree tablets are hurting both, and have the potential to eat into both.

and i agree that the OP was kind of grasping hard.and comes off as ready to doom and gloom over pcs already.

its gonna be interesting to see how the consoles do after the initial holiday burst as both are selling out their preorder stock already.

i think a good bit of what is plaguing new pc's right now is windows 8's interface, but i think piece of it is also oversaturation, as some stated here, they bought a prebuilt pc a few years ago and didnt feel the need to upgrade them. and also just the general convenience of the tablet to average joe users as it fits the average needs, not to mention the battery life on tablets are a lot better than laptops.

i mean its easy to make all these assumptions, but at the end of the day though, only time will tell what happens.