#1 Posted by dudeglove (7240 posts) -

I live in Moscow, and I just found out there's a museum of Soviet era arcade machines in the city. I am going to see this shit as soon as possible. Ignore the guy's broken English, look at some of these whack machines.

Seriously he's playing a periscope game or something, and then hitting the buttons on a thing called ВИКТОРИНА (Viktorina) which I understand to mean "quiz game", but it looks like it was ripped out of the reactor from some sovok power plant. Some pictures and stuff at the museum's website http://www.15kop.ru/

#2 Posted by audioBusting (1298 posts) -

I'm playing the video at the lowest resolution, and a lot of these arcade machines strangely look like soda/ice cream vending machines. That looks fun though!

#3 Edited by Tennmuerti (7719 posts) -

Damn it's really good that someone is trying to preserve these. By the way that periscope game is you playing as a submarine blowing up ships, I remember loving it as a kid, because the periscope rubber thing covered my entire face and was immersive as fuck. That one and the ball shooting into hoops brought up pangs of nostalgia.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (34571 posts) -

In Soviet Russia, arcade games play you? You know, because of the rampant political corruption?

#5 Posted by Sweep (8534 posts) -

Where's their dota machine? Oh wait, here it is:

#6 Edited by dudeglove (7240 posts) -

@sweep: It's a soda machine, NERD.

#7 Edited by Hailinel (22670 posts) -

@sweep: It's a soda machine, NERD.

Looks like the sort of soda machine you'd find in a Fallout game.

#8 Edited by Kidavenger (3379 posts) -

That basketball game looks like it would be great fun.

#9 Posted by Sweep (8534 posts) -
#10 Edited by Thoseposers (747 posts) -

Really interesting to see how the games and cabinet designs differ from what you think a classic arcade looks like. I agree they almost look more like vending machines than arcade games.

Could anyone put these games in context for me? What years are we talking about and what games were out in america at the same time?

#11 Edited by dudeglove (7240 posts) -
#12 Edited by oldenglishC (858 posts) -

HOW DARE YOU!

The timeless comedy of Yakov Smirnoff will never be "tired".

#13 Edited by DannyHibiki (93 posts) -

@thoseposers said:

Really interesting to see how the games and cabinet designs differ from what you think a classic arcade looks like. I agree they almost look more like vending machines than arcade games.

Could anyone put these games in context for me? What years are we talking about and what games were out in america at the same time?

I'd really like to know too. Most of these machines look pretty old, more like they're from the late 70s than the early 80s, but I didn't grow up in Moscow.

Edit: Actually on the museum's website some of the individual machine pages have years on 'em. Sea Battle (which is a clone of a Midway machine named Sea Raider) is from 1969! Pretty nice looking for being that old.

@dudeglove

Thanks a bunch for posting this video. It's really cool to see what kind of machines were popular in countries around the world.

#14 Edited by ReverendHunt (279 posts) -

This was genuinely interesting! Thank you for providing this.

HOW DARE YOU!

The timeless comedy of Yakov Smirnoff will never be "tired".

Agreed. Yakov is, and will always be, the man.