#1 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2390 posts) -

Finally! Ever since Keiji left Capcom I've been waiting for him to make a new Mega Man style game, not creepy dating sims with his fictional niece.

Link

The goal is $900k to get it on PC. Stretch goals at $1.35 million get Mac/Linux versions and $2.5 million get 360/Ps3/Wii U versions. As of this post, it has reached $119K, and it has only been live for a few hours. Odds certainly look pretty good.

The art is very similar to Mega Man (go figure) and I couldn't be happier honestly. Almost feels like a giant middle finger to Capcom.

What do you duders think? Will you back it?

#2 Posted by RetroVirus (1473 posts) -

Honestly, I'm glad to see more high-profile game creators go to kickstarter to fund their ideas. I certainly trust Inafune-san to make a great Not-Megaman Megaman game.

#3 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

It's cool to see that this crowd-funding thing is making waves over in Japan as well.

#4 Posted by csl316 (8678 posts) -

As soon as I heard this I was super excited. There's a bunch of talent on board, and Inafune is a legend (with a consistency throughout his career that should be applauded).

The concept art looks neat and I trust them to make a kick ass game. Slick video, too.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Capcom still cancels it. Somehow.

#7 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

The only gripe i have against inafune is that he out sourced devil may cry, dead rising and lost planet to western dev's but soul sacrifice is great. Hope capcom dont take this down.

#8 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

I guess I can't be surprised. It's what he knows.

I hope it's a Mega man-ass Mega Man game.

#9 Edited by myketuna (1701 posts) -

I'm afraid this might happen. The character looks a lot like Mega Man. I don't know how that might work out for Inafune.

#11 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3845 posts) -

@myketuna said:

@video_game_king said:

I'm afraid this might happen. The character looks a lot like Mega Man. I don't know how that might work out for Inafune.

Dude no way. It just looks like "sort of robot Anime guy". Which yes kind of looks like Mega Man but also looks like countless anime and videogame characters.

#12 Posted by BBAlpert (1475 posts) -
@dalai said:

I guess I can't be surprised. It's what he knows.

I hope it's a Mega man-ass Mega Man game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that's their intention, considering their "meet the developers" picture.

Also, I love the cat's expression of what I can only assume is abject horror.

#13 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5513 posts) -

Yes to this so much!

#14 Posted by ThunderSlash (1730 posts) -

Beck and Call

#15 Posted by TheHT (11273 posts) -

@bbalpert: That cat is staring into forever.

This is rad. I hope it's successful so the people who want it finally get their new Mega Man game and to stick it to Capcom.

#16 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

This kickstarter is screaming for a cease-and-desist letter. I'd still like to see it made.

#17 Edited by Zeik (2440 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

This kickstarter is screaming for a cease-and-desist letter. I'd still like to see it made.

Unlike some random dude who wants to capitalize on the fame of someone else's work, I'm going to assume Inafune has a much greater knowledge on where his limits are in terms of legality. (If nothing else, I have to imagine he looked into it before going ahead with this project.) Even if that does happen I'm willing to bet he's already prepared to fight it.

#18 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5057 posts) -

Will achieve goal for sure

#19 Posted by Soapy86 (2621 posts) -

This looks awesome. Go Inafune!

#20 Posted by The_Ruiner (1059 posts) -

@myketuna said:

@video_game_king said:

I don't think copyright law in japan is what it's like here. They are much more fast and loose with it. But who knows if it will effect US distribution.

#21 Posted by sub_o (899 posts) -

The last boss is Ben Judd, aka BJ King.

#22 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

Fuck yes. I've never even beaten a Mega Man game but this will be great.

#23 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

$300K already.

#24 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I told myself I wouldn't back any more kickstarters but watching that pitch video and reading the info page I just gave in to nostalgia and my love for megaman. Capcom better not try to stop this.

#25 Posted by Jolt92 (1551 posts) -

Backed it because of the cat.

#26 Posted by geirr (2574 posts) -

@jolt92 said:

Backed it because of the cat.

I was about to say I've been done with Mega Man since last century, but the cat is very compelling and for some reason I want to see them succeed.

Damn cat.

#27 Edited by Draxyle (1854 posts) -

Even if Capcom had legal rights to stop this project, there's no way in hell they would do it (if they're smart, which is questionable). The rage surrounding the canceling of that Megaman Legends thing is a drop in the ocean compared to what destroying a bonifide Inafune Megaman-ish game would be like. Capcom would be ripped to pieces.

That said, I'm sure Capcom is still pissed as heck; they effectively can't sell us Megaman anymore if this new franchise turns out successful (though we don't know if they ever would have planned to do so again).

Either way, I'm happy to see this project. I have little attachment to Megaman, but it's nice to see smaller JP teams jump on kickstarter. We might see a revival of many other SNES-like properties if more JP devs get on board.

#28 Posted by Abendlaender (2806 posts) -

Even if Capcom sends a C&D couldn't Inafune just change the look of the main character slightly?

#29 Posted by nsmb2_mario (72 posts) -

@abendlaender: No way! Mega Man is a rip on Astro Boy in the first place.

Copyright in Japan is tenuous at the best of times.

I am so hype for this project. It's sad we have to wait until 2015.

#30 Edited by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

Wow when I looked at this last night this was only at 17K. This is going to go way over that 900K and then some.

#31 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Guess we can say its Mega Man's son? nah just kidding. Well aleast the Mega Man fans has something to look forward too.

#32 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

Wow, thanks for bringing this to my attention! It's quite definetly relevant to my interest, though even putting that aside they've seem to have done all the right things on the Kickstarter page. The pitch is fair and backed up with some good names and, most importantly, a level of transparency that doesn't avoid some of the more difficult questions to what they're pitching. Things such as how the the budget will work out or the fact that involving the community in the process would ultimately, inevitably lead to part of that community being disappointed in some of the choices made. Keeping in mind that every Kickstarter is still a gamble, it's still tough for me to keep my excitement in check.

Man, and that name just works on so many levels. The use of "Mighty" brings thoughts to Mighty Atom (Astro Boy) and No.9 works both to denote the number of bosses of the standard Mega Man game (8), as well as possibly referencing Cyborg 009.

#34 Posted by amani (47 posts) -

@jacksukeru I was just thinking of how many Astro Boy: Omega Factor vibes I'm getting from the art style.

Was up late last night looking through the page. I know those screenshots are just concept art, but I am amped for this none the less. Speaking of which, anyone else think that on the designs for Call is quite similar to the Aero character from the Legends 3 designs? 'Suz me whilst I make myself a KS account :D

#35 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2390 posts) -

$640K and rising. Still hasn't even been 24 hours yet!

#36 Edited by myketuna (1701 posts) -

I wonder if they can keep that concept art style for the actual game. I would love an Arc System Works-esque, hi-res, clean 2D art Mega Man game running at 60 fps on my PC. Sounds really nice. Granted, I haven't seriously played a Mega Man game since Mega Man Zero on GBA, but I'd give it another shot with this one.

#37 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@amani: @jacksukeru:

This may be a side-effect of Mighty No. 9 aping Mega Man so badly, since Mega Man borrowed a lot from Astro Boy as it is, at least visually.

#38 Posted by RecSpec (3817 posts) -

This is the Vectorman sequel we deserve.

#39 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

@myketuna: That would be nice, though a fair warning, all signs point to this game having 3D models on a 2D plane and not 2D sprite art.

#40 Posted by JCGamer (663 posts) -

Man, I hope that this comes out on the next gen consoles. I plan on ditching the Xbox 360 and PS3 as soon as I can and wouldn't rather plan all games on my shiny new system. That's the only think holding me back on supporting the game right now.

#41 Edited by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

I'll wait for the final release before deciding to give him my money. Fuck KickStarter and empty promises. :)

#42 Posted by myketuna (1701 posts) -

@myketuna: That would be nice, though a fair warning, all signs point to this game having 3D models on a 2D plane and not 2D sprite art.

Yeah, I'm 99% sure that's what it's going to be in the end. Still, a person can dream right?

Actually, I believe the latest Guilty Gear game is 3D models, but they look extraordinarily like 2D sprite art. So if they can kind of get a nice middle ground going, I'd be satisfied.

#43 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1791 posts) -

Did this just start? Because it's almost made it's initial goal already. Damn.

#44 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Man.. That Polygon article where Inafune Japanese people aren't used to the idea of crowdfunding was right. The amount of Japanese backers is abysmal.

#45 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2390 posts) -

Game has now reached the initial goal! Now for some of them stretch goals!

@jcgamer said:

Man, I hope that this comes out on the next gen consoles. I plan on ditching the Xbox 360 and PS3 as soon as I can and wouldn't rather plan all games on my shiny new system. That's the only think holding me back on supporting the game right now.

According to Inafune they aren't making next gen versions because the developer (Inti Creates) is unfamiliar with the next gen hardware and it would cost them too much. Not sure how true that is given the similar architecture as current PCs and the push for indies on the next gen systems, but who knows.

#46 Posted by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

As soon as I realized that this is the project the 8-4 guys have been teasing for the past who knows how long, I was on board 100%. Reading that his partner's name is Call pushed that up to 120%.

According to Inafune they aren't making next gen versions because the developer (Inti Creates) is unfamiliar with the next gen hardware and it would cost them too much. Not sure how true that is given the similar architecture as current PCs and the push for indies on the next gen systems, but who knows.

Dev kits?

@supamon said:

Man.. That Polygon article where Inafune Japanese people aren't used to the idea of crowdfunding was right. The amount of Japanese backers is abysmal.

I was under the impression that backing Kickstarter projects specifically was a bit of a hassle for people outside of the US or something similar.

#47 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -

@supamon said:

I was under the impression that backing Kickstarter projects specifically was a bit of a hassle for people outside of the US or something similar.

I believe this is true. I backed a crowdsourcing campaign on IndieGoGo a few weeks ago and the campaign starters said that they chose IndieGoGo over Kickstarter due to it being less of a hassle dealing with international orders.

#48 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Really hoping this will hit the console goal. Somebody have a spare $1.5 Million ?

#49 Posted by dandead (171 posts) -

@supamon: Most Japanese don't game on the PC which is what this thing is aiming towards.

#50 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

@andorski said:

@starvinggamer said:
@supamon said:

I believe this is true. I backed a crowdsourcing campaign on IndieGoGo a few weeks ago and the campaign starters said that they chose IndieGoGo over Kickstarter due to it being less of a hassle dealing with international orders.

I've heard of that as well but personally I never had that issue at all. This is coming from someone living in Singapore though where we're usually good with everything financially. Would definitely suck if Japanese people wanted to back this but couldn't due to payment issues.

@dandead said:

@supamon: Most Japanese don't game on the PC which is what this thing is aiming towards.

But it's Megaman! Do the Japanese people actually not like Megaman(or Rockman) as much? They do have stretch goals for console versions though it's at the very end. Perhaps a 3DS version would be a better idea?