Incredible Future Shop trade-in deal (Canada only)

• 116 results
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

So for those living in Canada who are not aware of this yet, there's a pretty intense trade-in deal going on with Future Shop and BestBuy stores:

This weekend (between Saturday, November 9 and Monday, November 11) Future Shop and Best Buy locations across Canada will be giving out free copies of Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and Battlefield 4 to anyone who trades in a current generation console game.

Basically, one is presumably able to trade ANY used PS3, 360, Wii U, 3DS or Vita game and get CoD: Ghosts, ACIV or BF4 in return for 360, PS3, Wii U.

There's still a bit of confusion out there whether it's truly any game or if there will be a specific list, but all signs currently point to the former, which sounds too good to be true.

People have already gone nuts reserving games at their local stores to ensure they'll be able to trade-in for a copy of one of the three games.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, I guess I know where I'm going tomorrow with my old NHL games (along with 2 friends). Then next weekend I'll head to eb games and upgrade all 3 of em for $10 each to the PS4 versions.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Deranged

Woah WHAT!? Trading in current gen games gets you a copy of next-gen copies of Ghosts, AC4 and BF4?

Edit:

Nvm, I see that it's towards current-gen. That's a bummer :(

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Yo, didn't know anything about reserving! Ugh... I really hope to grab a copy of AC4 for the Wii U.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

Woah WHAT!? Trading in current gen games gets you a copy of next-gen copies of Ghosts, AC4 and BF4?

Nope, current gen copies of those games. You could upgrade those current gen copies for $10 if you're getting a PS4, though.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeeeep this is a completely insane deal, I'm planning on heading out tomorrow morning to a couple Futureshops to try and get BF4 and ACIV.

I'm assuming that the stores will be absolutely MOBBED for this, however, but as long as I can get a game (and avoid being punched) I'm willing to deal with the crowds. Should be fun!

@marc: Oh dude, I forgot about that. I was planning on doing the digital upgrade on the PS4 itself but that is a way better idea. Kudos!

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

Nope, current gen copies of those games. You could upgrade those current gen copies for $10 if you're getting a PS4, though.

Not a bad idea actually. Still, it's too great of a deal to pass up and I'll just pick up all three then over the course of the three days! Now, I'm not sure if this confirmed, but is Best Buy participating as well or just Future Shop?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@deranged said:

Not a bad idea actually. Still, it's too great of a deal to pass up and I'll just pick up all three then over the course of the three days! Now, I'm not sure if this confirmed, but is Best Buy participating as well or just Future Shop?

Heh, that's a good plan only if things don't sell out tomorrow 10 minutes after the stores open.

I'm pretty sure Best Buy is also participating in this along with Future Shop, but I haven't seen an official confirmation or anything yet.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#9  Edited By Kidavenger

I don't get their angle on this, the only thing that makes sense would be that these games aren't selling at all due to people waiting for next gen copies, they must have expected that though...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't get their angle on this, the only thing that makes sense would be that these games aren't selling at all due to people waiting for next gen copies, they must have expected that though...

Yeah, that's why this sounds kind of nuts. I don't see how this benefits them at all except for if it's the scenario you stated where they overestimated the amount of those current gen games would be sold compared to the next gen versions and have run out of shelf space or something?

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they just want to expand their used game selection since they barely have anything used on shelves. Although people are gonna abuse this program with a copy of an older sports game.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for anyone in st johns, newfoundland that may be on here, our best buy and futureshop are confirmed to be doing this.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger said:

Yeah, that's why this sounds kind of nuts. I don't see how this benefits them at all except for if it's the scenario you stated where they overestimated the amount of those current gen games would be sold compared to the next gen versions and have run out of shelf space or something?

I think it probably has a lot to do with expanding awareness of their trade in program. I've traded into Futureshop once before, but I and I assume most others probably head to EB Games for that first. If I had to guess I'd say this is their way of making a move on that market.

...though yeah, they are going to get a lot of crap this weekend. Personally I'm bringing Matt Hazard and PGR3.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How I see this going down, every employee of Futureshop that's interested will buy 3 $5 used games tonight and tomorrow each of them will have 3 new games before the stores even open, AC4, BF4 and CoD:G will be out of stock for anyone that would have legitimately wanted to buy one, and a bunch of soon to be angry hoarders standing outside in the cold for no reason.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: Didn't think of employees abusing this, but since people have already reserved copies for themselves with confirmations (including me), it might be difficult for anyone wandering in without a reservation to take advantage of this deal depending on location.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By marc

im bringing nhl 09, 10 and 11. also bringing a friend along so i can get all 3 between two different stores. then thursday night i will have 3 ps4 games for $30. this is great

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: Can you actually reserve a game for trade in though? I'm thinking a lot of people are going to go in looking for a trade and be expected to buy what they reserved.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@kidavenger said:

@fluxwavez: Can you actually reserve a game for trade in though? I'm thinking a lot of people are going to go in looking for a trade and be expected to buy what they reserved.

I'm not sure I get what you mean. People are reserving AC4, CoD and BF, so they'll be guaranteed one at their local store. Once they receive their game from the reservation counter, they'll then be able to trade-in whatever game they want for the game they reserved as the promotion indicates.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

Heh, that's a good plan only if things don't sell out tomorrow 10 minutes after the stores open.

I'm pretty sure Best Buy is also participating in this along with Future Shop, but I haven't seen an official confirmation or anything yet.

Hah, I'm sure that both Best Buy and Future Shop would be prepared for this if they're promoting it for three days.

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

See you later Game party Kinect... hello AC4! This is like trading negative money for something worth value!

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if the next-gen upgrade is still eligible if you pick up one of the free current gen games?

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

trying to reserve my game on the futureshop site, been the reservation system seems to be pretty broken right now

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SuperWristBands

Saw this earlier and I was kind of interested in getting a (mostly) free copy of BF4 even if I didn't play it much, but of course Manitoba fucks it up again.

God damn Manitoba and it's darn local legislation always gettin' in the way of my trade-ins :(

Also the FAQ in that thread doesn't seem to list Vita games as eligible.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

Does anyone know if the next-gen upgrade is still eligible if you pick up one of the free current gen games?

I dont see why not. they'll just be the regular ass copies of the game. if all esle fails, take em to eb games for their trade in option

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zella

Sweet christmas thats crazy. Gonna try to grab all three throughout the weekend. Tempted to drive a bit more and hit both FS's in my area to score both platforms of the game then use them to help finance a ps4.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reserved AC 4 And COD Ghost for ps3. Looks like I cant Reserved BF 4 at the stores near me!

and I Bought 3 Sports games for this (7 bucks in total) I am a bad person for this :(

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reserved AC 4 And COD Ghost for ps3. Looks like I cant Reserved BF 4 at the stores near me!

and I Bought 3 Sports games for this (7 bucks in total) I am a bad person for this :(

battlefield for ps3 doesnt seem to be on the futureshop site. only the limited edition. it's dumb. but best buy is doing this as well, and battlefield 4 is on their site to reserve

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wikitoups

@marc: Looks like they stop doing reserves! and the best buy faq said no holds. I'm gonna hit around a few future shops and best buys too see what I can get!

Edit: Nvr Mind They Are honoring online reserves!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was sort of hoping they wouldn't, looks like I'll be checking out AC4 on Wii U, should be interesting.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc: Looks like they stop doing reserves! and the best buy faq said no holds. I'm gonna hit around a few future shops and best buys too see what I can get!

hahah yes. i called and asked and they said online reserves are ok. bring on tomorrow! :D

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Oh no, I'd play all those games on PC! Good trade nonetheless.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks it is only one title per person per day, understandable but sucks. Might see if I can get a couple buddies to come along so we can score all 3.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I went onto both the Futureshop and Best Buy websites and I can't reserve any of the three games on the Xbox 360 at my local stores. That sucks. I might just head over to one tomorrow just to check it out.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bulby33 said:

I went onto both the Futureshop and Best Buy websites and I can't reserve any of the three games on the Xbox 360 at my local stores. That sucks. I might just head over to one tomorrow just to check it out.

I was able to reserve AC a few hours ago but it reserves are cut off for me too. Not sure if it's a local store stock issue or if they have done it nationwide in order to stop people from reserving copies.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nooooo, online it says all my local stores are sold out... There is one in Quebec and I have no idea if the promotion is happening.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zella said:
@bulby33 said:

I was able to reserve AC a few hours ago but it reserves are cut off for me too. Not sure if it's a local store stock issue or if they have done it nationwide in order to stop people from reserving copies.

Yeah I think they might be cutting off reserves so people have to get there as soon as they can. That or they're all sold out which would be a bummer. I kinda don't feel like driving around London to find a single copy.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SuperWristBands

@zolroyce: Honestly I have no idea what legislation it is. I know of the weird EB trade-in work arounds and assumed we were done with not being able to trade things in but...

Apparently not as the Future Shop dude in the thread above (page 5) said it wouldn't happen in Manitoba due to local legislation. (I would link to the thread page but the editor ate my post after the link I made...)

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My best buy and future shop are right next to eachother. Could I get one game at each place?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@krullban said:

My best buy and future shop are right next to eachother. Could I get one game at each place?

Yeah, I don't see why not.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Sooperspy

That's an insane deal. Damn. I wish I lived in Canada. Maybe. For like a few minutes so I could make use of this deal.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

Yeah, I don't see why not.

Gonna try tomorrow morning.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to get AC4 but I doubt I will even get a copy of anything...

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By marc

For those who cannot reserve, just try and be there right when the stores open. for me the sites say none of them are able to be reserved any more, but are still showing as in stock

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, my local shop says I can't reserve but the items are still in stock :(

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By groin
WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I drove over to Futureshop today (it was at about 10am) and the lineup was freaking massive. Probably 300 people, easily.

So I said fuck it and went home. I wasn't going to wait in line for up to 2 hours and not be guaranteed a game. Maybe next time something happens like this I'll wake up a bit earlier.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was at FS first thing this morning. lineup was nuts. but they didnt give a shit about the 1 game per person thing, so after 2 hours in line i got all 3 in one swoop. great success.