Infinity Ward's Bungie jump?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

I have a feeling that Infinity Ward are going to pull a Bungie on Activision. I think IW will become a privately held company after they release Modern Warfare 2. If that Happens I see the same deal Bungie made with Microsoft going down between IW and Activision with the latter keeping the CoD name and the former going ahead with the Modern Warfare name or with a new IP all together. 

What are your thoughts on this subject?
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ImperiousRix

Hmmm, sounds interesting.  I'd like to see IW go independent and think they probably COULD, but I'm sure it'll end up just like Bungie if they do.  Activision will still publish their games, and they'll still be making the Modern Warfare games (which I guess is going to be their new franchise, and Activision will probably keep the COD name).

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I don't see the need.. Bungie did it cause microsoft wasn't letting them try new things or work on other consoles.. They were done with Halo and microsoft wasn't.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By hexogen
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" I don't see the need.. Bungie did it cause microsoft wasn't letting them try new things or work on other consoles.. They were done with Halo and microsoft wasn't. "
Yeah, they were so tired of Halo the first thing they did after going independent was announce two more Halo games.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@Hexogen: The deal was they could leave but they had to finish the two halo projects that were already planned...

Get your facts right before you try and act smart buddy
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hexogen
@DuhQbnSiLo: I've read the press release and seen multiple news stories, and the only thing I've seen mentioned about already planned Halo projects was that the Peter Jackson Halo game and Halo Wars were still on track for release. If you give me your source, I'll gladly shut up.
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Dude
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" @Hexogen: The deal was they could leave but they had to finish the two halo projects that were already planned...Get your facts right before you try and act smart buddy "
Did they pinky promise?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
"@Hexogen: The deal was they could leave but they had to finish the two halo projects that were already planned...Get your facts right before you try and act smart buddy"

Not at all.  You realize your making what you say up?
The "deal" was that they're under contract with MS to go to them as the publisher first for all of their games.  If MS rejects the concept, Bungie may go seek out a different publisher.  That means Bungie essentially has creative freedom, but is still bounded to MS.  It's basically the same as the situation Mistwalker is in.

And guess what, they said that they hadn't even conceptualized ODST (or keep it clean int he day) until about 2 months after  Halo 3.  They went independent before Hlao 3 came out.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crunchUK
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" I don't see the need.. Bungie did it cause microsoft wasn't letting them try new things or work on other consoles.. They were done with Halo and microsoft wasn't. "
what are you talking about?

On the subject, i certainly hope so. Maybe then the call of duty games will actually improve
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By maxszy

I would like them too. IW is makes supreme quality and I am sure they aren't all that thrilled with the whoring out of COD that they have seen happen to their creation. Probably why they have dropped the name and just gone to MW2.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Maxszy said:
"I would like them too. IW is makes supreme quality and I am sure they aren't all that thrilled with the whoring out of COD that they have seen happen to their creation. Probably why they have dropped the name and just gone to MW2."
They must've seen that coming though.  They pretty much made a game that was a copy of another game which was being whored.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By maxszy
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Maxszy said:
"I would like them too. IW is makes supreme quality and I am sure they aren't all that thrilled with the whoring out of COD that they have seen happen to their creation. Probably why they have dropped the name and just gone to MW2."
They must've seen that coming though.  They pretty much made a game that was a copy of another game which was being whored. "
Yeah that is probably true. Though maybe they didn't know it was going to get to the extent it has?  (I would guess Treyarch is already working on another one.)
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai

I don't know why people are bitch-slapping Treyarch so much. I thought WAW was pretty good. Is it because CoD 3? 'cause thats what i see IW fanboys referring too when trashing Treyarch. Activision gave them only 11 months to complete CoD3 and thats not enough time to make a game, at least not a good CoD game. I don't think even IW with all the talant and experience they have can make a good game in 11 months, thats just not enough time. 

Today I got cought up onmy Bombcast's and Brad was talking about this very issue in one of them. I guess IW has a reputation for being problematic or at least difficult to deal and work with. 
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Yah think games are just announced out of the blue? No... there planned month ahead before anyone knows. I don't care what yah think im just writing what i think and know

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
"Yah think games are just announced out of the blue? No... there planned month ahead before anyone knows. I don't care what yah think im just writing what i think and know"
It was announced several months after that fella.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

"We'll continue to make Xbox 360 games, and we'll continue to make amazing games for Microsoft Game Studios," Bungie clarified on its website. "In that regard, nothing has changed. All that has changed is that now Bungie Studios is once again, the property of the folks of Bungie Studios."

- sigh
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/138348/bungie-leaves-microsoft-to-become-indie-studio/

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

"Microsoft will hold a minority equity interest, however, and the two parties "have forged a deep and long-term development and publishing relationship focused on the continued success of the Halo franchise."

Source

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hexogen
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" "Microsoft will hold a minority equity interest, however, and the two parties "have forged a deep and long-term development and publishing relationship focused on the continued success of the Halo franchise."

Source "
Okay, so this basically says Bungie will continue to make more Halo games for Microsoft. What's your point?
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Brundage
@crunchUK said:
"
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
what are you talking about?On the subject, i certainly hope so. Maybe then the call of duty games will actually improve "
this
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Just proves what im saying that bungie was still going to make Halo games after they left

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hexogen
@DuhQbnSiLo: I thought your point was that Bungie was done with Halo?

@DuhQbnSiLo said:

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@Hexogen: Its how it started, but microsoft pointed out how much money they could rip off all those halo fanboys so bungie changed there mind
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

Treyarch are hacks compared to IW. 

COD4's campaign was short but every moment of it was hand-crafted awesomeness.  WaW's campaign was equally short and extremely mediocre - oh, capture the Reichstag, I've never done that before in a CoD game!

WaWs multiplayer is popular apparently, but let's face it, it had practically already been built for them by IW.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Nasar7

As soon as Modern Warfare 2 was announced, I started to suspect that IW was trying to go independent. Especially since they repeatedly try to distance MW2 from the CoD brand name.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mordukai
@Jimbo: There only 3 moments Liked in CoD 4 was the begging credits, the part when you die from radiation and the part where you get to control an air ship.. I found the single story to be very bland and there was one part that got ripped off straight from the first CoD game. But I guess it's ok when you rip your self off. I liked the WaW single play mostlyy because it was taking place in the Pacific theater, something that , for some odd reason, never was fully explored in all of the WWII games. I am more waiting for Bad Company 2 then I am for MW 2. I personally think DICE are better at making FPS games then IW. 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimbo

The front half of the Pacific campaign was alright - the rescue, the ambush with the flares and the beach landing - I don't know what went wrong with the back half, it was like being transported to mid 90s game design land.  The Russian campaign could have been lifted entirely from earlier CoD games and the bits of EATG that hadn't already been stolen.

For me, the CoD4 campaign is just one long memorable moment.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai
@Jimbo: Thats good. A least you get your money's worth. I thought about buying CoD4 because I like CoD 2 so much but for some reason I decided to rant it first and I am glad for that. For me CoD 4 was Moderate Warfare not Modern Warfare. It just didn't click for me. I Do fully agree with you that WaW should not have had the russian campaign. The whole time I was playing I was thinking "when can I get back to the japanese Campaign". 

I also wonder why there was never Call of Duty: Vietnam.