#1 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

I've been staring at the concept art for Remember Me for about a half hour now. It's got me all inspired to do something creative, which doesn't happen often for me.

Has anyone else had a similar reaction to game concept art, or games themselves?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

This is French Blade Runner, right?

#3 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

Chances are if it looks like Blade Runner I'll be into it.

#4 Posted by Ubersmake (771 posts) -
#5 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

@Ubersmake: I would hang some of those on my wall.

#6 Posted by aurahack (2483 posts) -

The aesthetic look of Remember Me is amazing, though still just reminds me of Deus Ex: HR and how fucking incredible the art design in that game is. I was unbelievably fortunate enough to talk to one of the concept artists at Eidos Montreal when I went to visit and it was one of the most inspiring things I've been a part of. I just let him talk for a good 20 minutes about getting into the industry and working on the game. Fucking fascinating stuff.

#7 Posted by Scrawnto (2492 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

A while back Kotaku posted this thing on Homeworld's concept art: http://kotaku.com/5887904/the-art-of-homeworld-enjoy/gallery/1

Homeworld is still one of the most beautiful and colorful games I've ever seen, set in space or otherwise, and looking at the concept art always sends shivers down my spine.

Same. I consistently place it in my top 3 favorite games. The sound design does it for me too.

I absolutely love concept art. I buy art books for games and such. The way a lot of those artists can suggest so much detail with such an economy of brush strokes is really impressive.

#8 Posted by medacris (711 posts) -

Moby Francke's artwork for Team Fortress 2 is really impressive, even moreso when I found out the art style had been heavily influenced by Norman Rockwell (who was one of my favorite artists growing up-- my parents always had a ton of his prints hanging up in the house) and J.D. Leyendecker.

The Pokemon art is great too, just watching how the art got better, more fluid. You can argue whether the designs themselves got better or worse, but the style itself is definitely grown by leaps and bounds (but hey, if you had to draw 100+ mons for each game, I'd be surprised if it didn't).

#9 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

@aurahack: There was a video on the making of the opening cinematic which was pretty awesome. I tried to find it to link to it here, but I failed :/

#10 Posted by familyphotoshoot (703 posts) -

The Epic Mickey concept art makes me weep for what could have been.

#11 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: I forgot about that. What a tragedy.

#12 Posted by Strife777 (1706 posts) -

Looking at good art actually does the complete opposite for me. Considering this is what I want to do in the future, seeing great stuff like that completely bums me out because I can't find the motivation to practice my art and I just start thinking ''I'll never be that good'' and get all emo.

#13 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

wow those look good. i enjoy looking at concept art for stuff.

#14 Edited by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

@Strife777 said:

Looking at good art actually does the complete opposite for me. Considering this is what I want to do in the future, seeing great stuff like that completely bums me out because I can't find the motivation to practice my art and I just start thinking ''I'll never be that good'' and get all emo.

That's kinda how I feel, but more because I'm just not good at arting. But it still makes me wanna do something.

#15 Posted by Bob_Loblaw (126 posts) -

The latest Double fine kickstarter backer update was a really fascinating look at their concept art process and showed them having an 'art jam' and it was really amazing to see how the different artists approached the early stages of design.

#16 Edited by Dylabaloo (1573 posts) -

Future noir is a direction that i'm glad video games are heading in.

#17 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

Anyone know any other games with particularly cool-ass concept art?

#18 Posted by EVO (4027 posts) -

I'm not big on Star Wars and I haven't even played the game, but I really like The Force Unleashed's concept art:

@Bob_Loblaw said:

The latest Double fine kickstarter backer update was a really fascinating look at their concept art process and showed them having an 'art jam' and it was really amazing to see how the different artists approached the early stages of design.

Yep I'm really digging the direction they've gone with.

#19 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (876 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

The Epic Mickey concept art makes me weep for what could have been.

Yes, this was the first thing that came to mind. The dystopian Disney crumbling fantasy aesthetic they had in the concept art was amazing, then we got Epic Mickey.

#20 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

Maaaan, Steampunk Disney could have been awesome.