• 75 results
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By alternate

Just wanted to plug this article I read.  It is a very interesting peice disguided as a rant.  Unusual to see it on a news blog when you would expect it in a glossy magazine like GQ.

http://kotaku.com/5484581/japan-its-not-funny-anymore

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Japan is awesome.  That article fails.  Also, anime doesn't suck.                       :(

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By InfiniteGeass
@JJOR64 said:
" Japan is awesome.  That article fails.  Also, anime doesn't suck.                       :( "
What this guy said!
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass
@JJOR64 said:
" Japan is awesome.  That article fails.  Also, anime doesn't suck.                       :( "
Anime is for jerks.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJOR64
@Delta_Ass said:
" @JJOR64 said:
Anime is for jerks. "

No Caption Provided
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Weird, I thought Brian Ashcraft would have written that.  He's in a better position to do so than Tim Rogers, by a long shot.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By superfriend

Well the article goes WAY beyond the anime-thing and it is actually a very funny read. I´ve always been interested in japanese culture and westeners trying to fit in and I LOVED reading through this. I´m calling it: This guy is going to be a GOLDEN GOD among writers- provided he doesn´t hang himself.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FrankCanada97

Anybody read Rising Sun by Michael Crichton? It brings up interesting things about Japan-US relations. Apparently, the Japanese are the most racist people on Earth, don't know if that is still or if it was ever true.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9  Edited By Symphony

Oh gods, I made it to the "my favorite little organic vegetable cafe" part before not being able to continue any further, though I noticed that the next bullet point was about meat. 

Yeah... this guy has some very specific issues that don't pertain to the norm -- he's a vegetarian who buys into the organic movement, for example (not that that's bad, that's just not exactly typical of an average person in a metropolis). I'm sure there are some excellent points to be made about problems in japan -- the hyper-sexualization of women, for example, but then again a similar argument could be made of western culture so.... yeah. I guess the lesson to be learned from this is... life's a bitch? *shrugs*

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Turambar

It's funny.  This is one of the few articles by Tim Rogers that actually doesn't feel like it loses complete sight of the original topic.  Also, given how long the guy has lived in Japan, he probably has some legitimate opinions on the place.  Of course it'd be interesting to get Ashcraft's view on things, given he has actually made a life (a family) for himself in Japan while Rogers comes of as too giant of a narcissist to ever achieve that.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Symphony said:

" I guess the lesson to be learned from this is... society's a bitch? *shrugs* "

Now this is thee lesson to be learned.

@Turambar: Oh wow, I didn't know that he lived in Japan in the past (Tim Rogers).  But honestly, his articles are so freakishly long that I just can't bother going through them.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gabriel

Anime does suck, and their is no way I'm reading that. 

FrankCanada97
said:

" Anybody read Rising Sun by Michael Crichton? It brings up interesting things of Japan-US relations. Apparently, the Japanese are the most racist people on Earth, don't know if that is still or if it was ever true. "

Michel Crichton was a great author to bad he's dead.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By animateria

That article is awesome.

Oh, and as someone who used to watch a lot of anime, most newer anime is down right terrible. I can't believe the quality has gone down to this level. I guess it's really the same thing we are seeing in the Japanese Video Game market.

Anyways, article gives a lot of insight into why things in Japan are the way they are. Also explains some cultural stuff I've seen in anime or video games I couldn't quite grasp.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By BigBoss1911
@JJOR64 said:

It does
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By alternate
@Gabriel said:
" Anime does suck, and their is no way I'm reading that. 

What he actually says is Anime sucks now.  I bet - like say US TV - the best stuff gets exported and there is an awful lot of dross left for the home market.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turambar
@alternate said:
" @Gabriel said:
" Anime does suck, and their is no way I'm reading that. 

What he actually says is Anime sucks now.  I bet - like say US TV - the best stuff gets exported and there is an awful lot of dross left for the home market. "
No, what gets the most exposure out here is generally things of somewhat poor quality.   By exposure, I don't necessarily mean what gets aired on a cable network, but rather what immediately comes to mind when someone not so familiar with anime (like say the parts of the GB community) thinks of it.

Here's the fact of the matter: anime is in a period of decline.  Anime has always had good shows and bad shows.  It's just that the ratio of good to bad has slowly been declining as certain trends of the industry has increased.  For the past years, a bubble built on the supposed unstemming stream of hardcore otaku cash obtained from your basic generic moe blobs essentially caused a giant bubble.  The number of shows increased, the general quality of them decreased.  That bubble has begun to burst however.  The number of shows airing in the latest season is well below what it was years just two to three years ago. 
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By neoepoch

Tim Rodgers is a professional troll. He always pisses on everything because it does not conform to his own opinion of life. If he can't deal with the culture of Japan then he needs to leave. I mean he is an outsider looking in and even though he has lived there for a bit, it does not mean he has become tolerant of their different culture.

Also any shots against One Piece automatically means that the person has seen about 3 random episodes/chapters and have not gone back since. It is a pretty damn good experience that does draw on common Shonen ideas, but it also goes above and beyond almost all Shonen by keeping plot and characters interesting, constantly fleshing out characters, and always finishing subplots instead of leaving them to dry.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Fallen189

Oh look, more people jumping on the ANIME IS GAY train. Try and get it into your tiny fucking brains that people can like stuff (?!)

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Turambar
@Fallen189 said:
" Oh look, more people jumping on the ANIME IS GAY train. Try and get it into your tiny fucking brains that people can like stuff (?!) "
People that zealously defend their interest against unfair overly broad generalized criticisms doing the same thing against other interests.  Ah, I'll never get tired of it.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fallen189
@Turambar said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" Oh look, more people jumping on the ANIME IS GAY train. Try and get it into your tiny fucking brains that people can like stuff (?!) "
People that zealously defend their interest against unfair overly broad generalized criticisms doing the same thing against other interests.  Ah, I'll never get tired of it. "
"Anime is for little girls, it's just chinese cartoons of children with big heads. Also it's for child rapists"

Etc.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Emilio
@Symphony:  
You should really read all of it. Sure, he's one of those green eating freaks, but still. 

He does bring up a lot of good points. Anime sucks, everybody smokes, Japanese film industry blows, pachinko machine take over, and Japanese mannerisms...
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shirogane
@neoepoch said:
" Also any shots against One Piece automatically means that the person has seen about 3 random episodes/chapters and have not gone back since. "

Urgh...i read all the way up to, that weird skeleton dude whose name i forget... 
And really couldn't be bothered going on. One Piece is just too long. Maybe one day i'll get back to it, maybe...or maybe i'll watch the horrible anime version, urgh... 

But yeah, Japan is a very cultural different place from where most of you are from. Even more so than Europe or Australia, which is different enough. And really, you shouldn't disrespect Japan, or you're going to get owned when they take over the world with their Mechas and androids.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate anime, the people that watch it are tards.

This is fact and not opinion.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Turambar
@Emilio said:
" @Symphony:  You should really read all of it. Sure, he's one of those green eating freaks, but still.  He does bring up a lot of good points. Anime sucks, everybody smokes, Japanese film industry blows, pachinko machine take over, and Japanese mannerisms... "
I hardly consider anyone of them a good point.  The issues he takes with everything seems particular to the way he lives his life, and expects life in general to interact with him.  Those issues would not be cured if he moved anywhere else.  As he himself stated in the beginning of the article, he's simply one of those guys that are not happy no matter where he lives.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By animateria
@neoepoch said:
" Tim Rodgers is a professional troll. He always pisses on everything because it does not conform to his own opinion of life. If he can't deal with the culture of Japan then he needs to leave. I mean he is an outsider looking in and even though he has lived there for a bit, it does not mean he has become tolerant of their different culture.  Also any shots against One Piece automatically means that the person has seen about 3 random episodes/chapters and have not gone back since. It is a pretty damn good experience that does draw on common Shonen ideas, but it also goes above and beyond almost all Shonen by keeping plot and characters interesting, constantly fleshing out characters, and always finishing subplots instead of leaving them to dry. "
The fact that you are defending One Piece isn't really giving you any credibility.

It's a Shonen manga/aniime for adolescent boys. Hell, I've read it back in the day when I was a 13 year old kid.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ace829
@Bucketdeth said:
" I hate anime, the people that watch it are tards.  This is fact and not opinion. "
Generalizing is fun isn't it?
RCenk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RCenk

There's good anime out there, I just wish I didn't see so many anime fans who also seems to be rabid japanophiles.

Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shiftshaper

@neoepoch said:

"Tim Rodgers is a professional troll. He always pisses on everything because it does not conform to his own opinion of life. If he can't deal with the culture of Japan then he needs to leave. I mean he is an outsider looking in and even though he has lived there for a bit, it does not mean he has become tolerant of their different culture.  Also any shots against One Piece automatically means that the person has seen about 3 random episodes/chapters and have not gone back since. It is a pretty damn good experience that does draw on common Shonen ideas, but it also goes above and beyond almost all Shonen by keeping plot and characters interesting, constantly fleshing out characters, and always finishing subplots instead of leaving them to dry. "

How are you a troll for simply dissagreeing with the way things work around you? How is it INTOLERANT to simply note why you dissagree with these workings? Just because he insulted your precious Anime series does not make him a bad person, as much as you might like to think that. 

Very intresting article. Some points he made seemed incredibly petty and whiny, like his neighbour smoking and staying out late, to witch he wrote a catty note for him, something I really cant stand. Or the amount of fat in bread, come on man,are these the great issues you deal with? You poor soul. 

But a lot of his points were also very valid. I didnt know that much about Japanese culture, and reading this kind of explains the high suicide rate number to me. That last paragraph I feel sums up really well how disturbing it is that everyone wants to be part of the   machine. I would like to think that most people go through life trying to find out who they really are, not trying get past college as fast as possible so you have a label for yourself. Here is a suit and a company, now follow all the rules and you too can lead a life in which you dont have to spend time actually thinking for yourself, just follow the motions and do as everyone else does. 

Also love that people here dismiss the erticle as garbage because 3% is about anime and how he doesnt like what is has become. People dont read it and still they immidiatly go THIS ARTICLE IS GAY TRAIN JAPAN IS GREAT, dispite the fact they probably havent spent 5 years living there.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Turambar
@animateria: Regarding One Piece, I suppose there is one positive thing I can say about it.  I've actually never read or watched any of it, but I do remember being told that the anime was aired once every two weeks instead of a weekly schedule, allowing it to stay on pace the manga.  The biggest issues with its contemporaries such as Bleach and Naruto (the fact that they're generic shounen, and thus pretty bad aside), was that they ran into fillers arcs as they ran out of preexistent plot that were of poorer quality than the normal show itself.  I always found that production decision to be a good idea.  Not sure if it still does that though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ace829 said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" I hate anime, the people that watch it are tards.  This is fact and not opinion. "
Generalizing is fun isn't it? "
You must be one of those tards.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ace829
@Bucketdeth: Yup! You're right! I came across a few minutes of Naruto on my TV. My brain is forever damaged.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ZenaxPure

A lot of the stuff in the article I could see as being a concern, however it seems as a lot of little things really bother this dude. Really though anyone could write the same thing about any country/place/city. I know I have about my terrible state.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#33  Edited By apathylad
@Symphony said:
" Oh gods, I made it to the "my favorite little organic vegetable cafe" part before not being able to continue any further, though I noticed that the next bullet point was about meat.   Yeah... this guy has some very specific issues that don't pertain to the norm -- he's a vegetarian who buys into the organic movement, for example (not that that's bad, that's just not exactly typical of an average person in a metropolis). I'm sure there are some excellent points to be made about problems in japan -- the hyper-sexualization of women, for example, but then again a similar argument could be made of western culture so.... yeah. I guess the lesson to be learned from this is... life's a bitch? *shrugs* "
That's a only a problem depending on your perspective. :P - Uh..not that I endorse this perspective...And yeah, I do notice sexualization of women in western properties too, such as female superheroes, etc. 

Anyway, I found the dude's article overly long and silly. Particularly his rant on people being too apologetic.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By animateria
@Turambar: Production schedules aside, One Piece is very by the books Shonen Manga. There isn't anything particularly outstanding about the content itself.

Similar to Naruto and Bleach, it's made for adolescent males who want a bunch of characters get into flashy fights. There is a reason why these series contain dozens and dozens of characters, if they throw characters at the wall, some will be bound to stick.

Admittedly it's occasionally my guilty pleasure to sometimes watch anime like these, Soul Eater being the recent one I finished, but I watch it for nostalgic value (I pretty much grew up with Dr. Slump and the whole Dragon Ball manga) and not for any ounce of actual quality. It's like watching a B-horror movie.

Anyways, every time I try to find a new quality anime to watch, most of them seem to revolve around Post-Evangelion character stereotypes, perverse fetishism, and the same exact cliched story-lines I've been seeing for years. I've since given up to find the hidden gems drowning in the pool of waste and decay.

Anyways, the article only briefly mentions anime, so I think this is enough from me. (So I say after my long ass rant)
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Turambar
@animateria:  "Post-Evangelion stereotype" seems an odd way of putting it though, particularly given it was the complete deconstruction of an existing genre and all the tropes and stereotypes that it held dear.   When GaoGaiGar and Mazinger Z still exist in a post-EVA world, I can't really agree with that sentiment.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#36  Edited By Symphony
@Emilio said:
" @Symphony:  You should really read all of it. Sure, he's one of those green eating freaks, but still.  He does bring up a lot of good points. Anime sucks, everybody smokes, Japanese film industry blows, pachinko machine take over, and Japanese mannerisms... "
I've already been through the same tired anime argument ad nauseum so I'm not even going to address that.

I hate being near smokers, but it's not something exclusive to Tokyo, there's lots of smokers the world over, though Canada has nice laws prohibiting smokers from smoking indoors in public places (eg restaurants, hooray), but we still have plenty of smokers outside in the big cities like Toronto or Montreal (especially Montreal, from what I've heard).

He goes on about the Japanese film industry? Seriously? Well shit, name a European country with a good film industry. France? They release about the same number of memorable films as Japan does. Hell, Canada's film industry isn't great, other than half of American films are made up here thanks to tax breaks they get. 

And then pachinko?! Ugg okay I'm glad I stopped where I did, because if I didn't know any better, I'd say this guy's just a troll.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ninjakiller

No Caption Provided
The Anime fight again?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ace829 said:
" @Bucketdeth: Yup! You're right! I came across a few minutes of Naruto on my TV. My brain is forever damaged. "
I like you, you should be my bestest internet buddy.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By beargirl1

ANIME IS SUCK LOL

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By animateria
@Turambar said:

" @animateria:  "Post-Evangelion stereotype" seems an odd way of putting it though, particularly given it was the complete deconstruction of an existing genre and all the tropes and stereotypes that it held dear.   When GaoGaiGar and Mazinger Z still exist in a post-EVA world, I can't really agree with that sentiment. "

I was talking about the characters, a lot of recent anime have some version of Asuka (Which since evolved in to Tsundere types), Rei (Quiet weird girl, always similar hair too), and Kaoru(The all knowing nice guy/girl). Shinji types occasionally pop up but it's not as prominent (Not surprising since he wasn't exactly popular to begin with).

Just look at The Melancholy of Haruhi, for an example. Haruhi is very similar to Asuka, Nagoto is Rei, and Kaoru is that other guy.  Only difference is that none of the characters in Haruhi are actually deep. Oh, and let's not go into how that other girl, Mikuru is the embodiment of all kinds of different imaginable fetishes.

Of course not all anime follow in this character design, I've watched a couple in the past few years that were quite excellent on their own, and they never followed this template.

Edit: Fuck me, I can't stop ranting can I?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41  Edited By natetodamax
@Bucketdeth said:
I like anime and I have all A's and two B's in school. So your fact is wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
I like anime and I have all A's and two B's in school. So your fact is wrong. "
No it's a different kind of tard, a new breed.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Turambar
@animateria: The fact that all those stereotypes have existed well before EVA aside, you really consider Asuka to be a tsundere?  I find her to be the complete deconstruction of Super Robot protagonists, not a tsundere.  Her path is of one of extreme confidence to one of extreme timidness and near uselessness.  While she is both aggressive against Shinji as well as show a degree of affection for him, the aggression isn't used to mask the soft affection as it is for tsundere characters.  Asuka is simply someone that attempts to be hot blooded and fails due to insecurities.

On the Haruhi comparison, you'll forgive me, but I accuse you of approaching the show the wrong way, especially if you're approaching it in the same way as EVA.  EVA puts real robot characters in a super robot setting, and thus the show is still as much about the internal growth and struggle of the characters as much as it is about the mecha.  Haruhi on the other hand is not a character development show.  It is simply about what adventures the cast gets into, and how they react and interact within those settings.  To put it more simply, EVA is about why characters do something while Haruhi is about how and what they do.  I find both approaches to be very entertaining.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel
@Symphony said:
" Oh gods, I made it to the "my favorite little organic vegetable cafe" part before not being able to continue any further, though I noticed that the next bullet point was about meat.   Yeah... this guy has some very specific issues that don't pertain to the norm -- he's a vegetarian who buys into the organic movement, for example (not that that's bad, that's just not exactly typical of an average person in a metropolis). I'm sure there are some excellent points to be made about problems in japan -- the hyper-sexualization of women, for example, but then again a similar argument could be made of western culture so.... yeah. I guess the lesson to be learned from this is... life's a bitch? *shrugs* "
The lesson is, don't pay attention to Tim Rogers.  He makes it his business to waste everyone's time.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By thatfrood

That was a really interesting read.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By animateria
@Turambar: I agree Asuka isn't really a tsundere type. To be clear, I said her type evolved into tsundere types, the problem stems from the fact that the popularity of these characters were due to their exterior personalities while most of their more complex and internal failings have slowly been shoved into the background. Scenes like when she kissed Shinji, then immediately acted disgusted are the type of stuff people picked up on and endured, not the fact that she is an extremely tragic figure. Anyways, other anime used her most marketable attributes, and a lot of these types are hot headed and aren't good at showing affection. 

I enjoyed Haruhi, hell if I didn't why would I know the all the characters names, but it embraces all the modern conventions has been copying Eva's more marketable features. It does admit this fact when Haruhi decides to recruit Mikuru into her club because she fits into many anime fetishes, which of course has to end with Haruhi fondling Mikuru's breasts (Why?). The series novelty wears thin in the end, it just doesn't deserve the attention it's getting right now in Japan. 

I think Zetsubou Sensei sums up the problems revolving around anime and Japan in general. You'd be surprised at how much of the stuff mentioned in the Kotaku article shows up in the cartoon. One of my favorite portions is when an episode cuts itself into two halves. The first is a giant robot battle, and the second being a risky scene involving a character wearing a bikini. In the end of the episode the main character looks at the viewer ratio chart and complains that the bikini scene which was very trivial and pointless got all the attention while everyone ignored the robot battles, which were meant to be the main part of the episode. Sums up the focus on newer anime pretty well I think.  
AriEX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By AriEX2

The problem with Tim Rogers is he thinks he's a rock star. If you enjoy his writing (Which I did), make sure you don't watch any videos of him, cause he sorta comes aross as a bit of an arrogant jerk. Now whenever I read his stuff I can imagine that inflection in his voice and it totally kills his writing.

Saying that, when he is actually writing about games, some of his stuff is pretty insightful.

Tim Rogers kinda reminds me of that Yahtzee guy, both really verbose and willing to be hyper critical, although when I hear Yahtzee talk normally he seems to have a lot more humility.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nasar7

Could this guy possibly cry moar? The majority of his complaints boil down to culture shock, with a little bit of personal finickiness (i.e. the organic vegetarian thing) to boot. He should just move back to his own country, he says he's moved a lot from place to place, sounds like he has an identity crisis.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#49  Edited By Hailinel

Tim Rogers is a terrible writer.  Sure, he has a good grasp of the English language, but he is verbose to an agonizing fault and horrendous at making his points succinct.  He rambles, rants, and essentially beats each individual point in his arguments beyond the point of demise.  The guy desperately needs an editor.  And yet, even his points are by and large invalid.  When you're complaining about the lack of organic vegetarian food as though it were some sort of cultural affront, you need to get out more and understand that the people of another culture are not, by nature, going to necessarily have the means or the desire to cater to your every whim.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

lol I knew japan was bad...but not that bad....I really would never want to live there.