#1 Edited by MB (12397 posts) -

I've been out of the loop for quite some time as far as games go due to work, but I just discovered this site...may be old news to everyone else but I thought I would share.

Essentially it aggregates completion time of games based on user-submitted information. I just took a look at a few different games that I happen to remember how long they took me, and the average times on HLTB seemed pretty close. I know length of game isn't necessarily the most important thing, but I figured this would be a cool resource if you're going to rent a game or only have a certain amount of time and are trying to decide what to play.

Take a look and tell me what you think!

#3 Posted by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -
@mb said:

I've been out of the loop for quite some time as far as games go due to work, but I just discovered this site...may be old news to everyone else but I thought I would share.

Essentially it aggregates completion time of games based on user-submitted information. I just took a look at a few different games that I happen to remember how long they took me, and the average times on HLTB seemed pretty close. I know length of game isn't necessarily the most important thing, but I figured this would be a cool resource if you're going to rent a game or only have a certain amount of time and are trying to decide what to play.

Take a look and tell me what you think!

Yeah, that site is pretty old news, but it can no doubt be pretty handy for getting a handle on how long a game might take to run through. Gratz on finding it for yourself.

I'd love them to integrate YouTube or something into their site, having an on video record to back up the time would be great.

However, it's nigh on useless FOR THE TWO PLAYSTATION ONE GAMES THAT I'M GOING TO PLAY FOR OUR NEXT GIANT BOMB BASED CHARITY ENDURANCE RUN EVENT HINT HINT.

It'd be sick if Giant Bomb had this feature.

#4 Edited by Mr_Misery (258 posts) -

Really surprised people are just finding out about this site. Patrick had it in a Worth Reading recently too.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

@fattony12000: ooo What two PS1 games are you planning to play for the charity event coming at what date soon? :D

#6 Edited by jdevlin24tgb (39 posts) -

Welcome to the internet, bud! :P HLTB is an integral part of my gaming process. Cool site.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8237 posts) -

Let me join my fellow GB hipsters in saying "Old!".

:D

#9 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5036 posts) -

@mr_misery said:

Really surprised people are just finding out about this site. Patrick had it in a Worth Reading recently too.

Pff who reads that, i just click the videos sometimes.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11932 posts) -

HLTB: constantly reminding me how slooow I am at games >_>

#11 Edited by probablytuna (3660 posts) -

Hmm, news to me.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11905 posts) -

I stumbled across it some time ago. It's useful often enough but sometimes it has no info or completion times are too all over the place.

#13 Edited by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

Oh MB, you're so old. Yeah, I've seen the site before and it's pretty useful. Although I do think we need to start remembering better that games only have average completion times and that single objective numbers just don't exist.

#14 Edited by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

I discovered that like a week ago, or two.

#15 Edited by falserelic (5436 posts) -

Never heard of it until now.

#16 Edited by Deadlypixels (72 posts) -

Oh THAT kind of beat

#17 Posted by Sinusoidal (1493 posts) -

@deadlypixels: I lolled!

I've been using it for a few months now as a way to approach my backlog. Though honestly it doesn't tell me much. Shooter = 8 to 12, Open World = 15 to 30, RPG = 30 to 60. Though some are a bit surprising. Was kind of disappointed at Diablo 3's 18.5 hours. I suppose it might be more useful for the completionist times since they're so much more extreme.

#18 Edited by leebmx (2244 posts) -

Well I didn't know about this, so thank you @mb However I suspect that all my completion times will be loads longer. I don't know why really, i'm not the sort of person who collects everything and i am not significantly worse at games than anyone else. I think I just like to take time to soak up the atmosphere and check out the nooks and crannies.

EDIT: The stats for Skyrim are hillarious. I wonder what the longest average time is?

There is some real bullshit on there as well. 1000hours to complete Aliens vs Predator 2. I think the fact that all the data is user submitted makes it a bit unreliable

#19 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#20 Edited by madman356647 (268 posts) -
#21 Posted by HermanBloom (94 posts) -

New to me, useful, thanks!

#22 Edited by Castiel (2616 posts) -

Dude that's so fuckin' ooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld.

#23 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

Since we have no shame in posting old but useful sites: Before I Play. It gives very interesting information that can be incredibly useful to know before starting a game, mainly related to the gameplay. Details about the plots of the games may be included, so beware the spoilers.

#24 Edited by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -

@fattony12000: ooo What two PS1 games are you planning to play for the charity event coming at what date soon? :D

Blog and news and updates and dates to come soon, my good good duder!

As an early clue, just for YOU:

• Both of the games I'll be playing are part of the same series.
  • The sequel to the first game in the series was never released in the United States of Americaland.
#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14829 posts) -

I find these times don't add up for me. Either I'm way faster than the times or I decided to really soak in the game and end up havin a much much larger time played.

#26 Edited by Corvak (1075 posts) -

To add to the site listing: backloggery.com for tracking game progress. I use it and howlongtobeat to figure out how long it will take to beat a game.

#27 Edited by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

Blog and news and updates and dates to come soon, my good good duder!

As an early clue, just for YOU:

• Both of the games I'll be playing are part of the same series.
  • The sequel to the first game in the series was never released in the United States of Americaland.

Bearsona 1 and 2?

Trying to give you even more of a chance for self-promotion! ;)

#28 Edited by MB (12397 posts) -

@leebmx said:

There is some real bullshit on there as well. 1000hours to complete Aliens vs Predator 2. I think the fact that all the data is user submitted makes it a bit unreliable

Times are averaged out...besides, all of the wiki content on Giant Bomb is user submitted, does that make it unreliable? You just have to take it with a grain of salt and look at the big picture, that's all.

#29 Edited by leebmx (2244 posts) -

@mb said:

@leebmx said:

Times are averaged out...besides, all of the wiki content on Giant Bomb is user submitted, does that make it unreliable? You just have to take it with a grain of salt and look at the big picture, that's all.

Sure, yes. It doesn't make it all unreliable. You just have to use a bit of judgement. If a game has less than 20 replies then it might be a bit unrepresentative.

If they were just taking straight completion times then I would be inclined to trust it a little more, because everyone could just take the time of their game clock if the title in question had one. That they have it broken down into various categories makes it harder to trust in my opinion. Where do you put your game if you have completed the main quest and only some of the additional ones, or like me with Assassins Creed 2, collected everything apart from one section of a city? Wherever you include your time it won't be representative of the category in question and will distort the final result.

Add this to the fact that a lot of games don't have a game clock and you can see how there might be some slightly odd stats in there. Don't misunderstand me it is still a very interesting site, i'm just quite interested in stats and I always like to have a think about how reliable or not they are - I realise its mostly just a bit of fun.

As for the Giant Bomb wiki, I would say that was much more safe to trust. Mostly because all the data is verifiable by a third party in a way HTLB is not, and because it does all get checked before it goes up.

#30 Posted by me3639 (1756 posts) -

Yea, that where i reconnected. I found the site over a year ago when it was really bar bones. I had completely forgotten about it but is now saved as favorite to check out once in a while.

#31 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@leebmx said:

If they were just taking straight completion times then I would be inclined to trust it a little more, because everyone could just take the time of their game clock if the title in question had one.

Not at all. Apparently, I completed Fallout 3 in about 13-15 hours, and Onimusha in 3. Given that the speedrun of the latter can be done in two, I'm not inclined to believe the time on that.

#32 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

@leebmx said:

If they were just taking straight completion times then I would be inclined to trust it a little more, because everyone could just take the time of their game clock if the title in question had one.

Not at all. Apparently, I completed Fallout 3 in about 13-15 hours, and Onimusha in 3. Given that the speedrun of the latter can be done in two, I'm not inclined to believe the time on that.

Oh wow. Then the site would appear to be almost useless in that case, as I expect some people are getting it from their faulty gameclocks and other people are just estimating.

#33 Posted by Gruebacca (519 posts) -

That site's helped me decide what to play next many times. Take the average complete times with a grain if salt, however. Your actual time will be different based on the kind of game and how you generally play games. Most people don't just do story missions.

#34 Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -

This sites been a godsend for me for a while. All too often I'm playing a game and thinking "Uugh...is this over yet?" and HLTB gives me a good idea.

#35 Posted by Helios1337 (325 posts) -

This sites been a godsend for me for a while. All too often I'm playing a game and thinking "Uugh...is this over yet?" and HLTB gives me a good idea.

I do the same thing. If I'm bored of a game and HLTB tells me it's only a couple more hours to go, I usually push on. Sometimes I look and realize it's another 25 hours and just abandon ship.

#36 Posted by Cheesebob (1236 posts) -

I just started playing Persona 4 and that website says it lasts about 84 hours long. Holy shit.

#37 Posted by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -

I just started playing Persona 4 and that website says it lasts about 84 hours long. Holy shit.