Internship Update: Rise of the Interns!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Edited By Undeadpool
Look at him...confused by our simple box technology.

Two weeks later and already a ton has changed. By now you've all been introduced to Ben (or GlenTennis as you probably know him better as), who arrived two weeks ago (kinda. More like a week and a half). He's assumed many of my previous responsibilities, including the AnimeVice trailer updating, and I had to train him. He's also tall like a tree, so training him was an effort, I had to get a bullhorn and stand on a footladder to communicate on even the most basic level. And the most basic level is all he understands, so I need to make simple hand gestures and symbols. This week will also see the return of Matthew Kessler Bodega the Third, Esq. to the Whiskey Media family of sites, so I'm learning from the master now. At least that's what he tells me. He's also promising/threatening to integrate me and Ben into his future video features, which has a vaguely sinister tinge to it, doesn't it?

Speaking of learning, my job's become a great deal more complicated what with posting trailers for Giant Bomb, which has vastly more stringent standards of formatting both on the internal naming and what appears on the site. There have been stumbling blocks, some more glaring than others, but overall it's been a great way to learn about aesthetically pleasing formats. On that topic: have you seen the Giant Bomb Facebook page? Cause it's pretty great...and I'm not just saying that because I'm the one who posts most of the links on there. The other Whiskey Media sites have Facebook pages too, but you'll have to look at that OTHER guy's blog to get those links, cause let's face it, you came here, you want to hear about me.

Return of the Kingtern
Return of the Kingtern

And hey, SPEAKING of the other Whiskey Sites, you may have heard your friendly neighborhood intern on Comic Vine's podcast over the last few weeks, which has been great for a few reasons, most notably I didn't ask for it. Ethan essentially wanted to know if I'd like being on the Comic Vine podcast and I had to think about all the various ways I'd like to say "yes." I wasn't nearly boisterous enough my first time and was encouraged to cut loose and be a bit more of a presence in the future 'casts. I've apparently been doing a fine job and I've been learning a lot about professional-level podcasting, which is great for me since I've always wondered what goes into one of these things and actively participating in one really is the best way to find out. I've also been talking about comic books for free for YEARS, I had no idea I could get paid for it.

But wait! There's more! Whiskey Media quests are hot like the surface of the sun and I've been writing most of them across the board. So if you've liked them, that was ME and if you didn't...those parts were all Daniel's fault. I tried to talk him out of them, but he refuses to listen to reason and then he gets all knifey. Writing these quests has been a great way to express myself creatively in small bite-sized chunks. Writing's always been one of my passions but it's been tough to find time to do any in my freetime, so it's nice to find time in my professional life. Of course they're pretty limited in their subject matter, but it's much better practice to have to write with limitations than total freedom.

Editor's Row buzzes with activity

Apart from that, we're all gearing up for E3 (yeah, even the non-Giant Bomb Whiskey Media folks are, in their own ways, since it will probably touch every facet of the sites) and I'm limbering up my trailer header/deck typin' fingers to be inundated. I've actually had a few people ask me if us interns are going to E3, and the answer to that is HEEEEEEEEEEEELL no. They wouldn't let me anywhere near that event, and with good reason. As much as I've learned and as far as I've come, I don't even know what I'd be doing there as I'm not anywhere near the level of professionally writing about the biggest event in videogames of the year. Still, I'll be making my own contributions and lightening the workload and isn't that what's REALLY important? Aren't I the REAL hero in this story? Yes, and yes.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Undeadpool

Two weeks later and already a ton has changed. By now you've all been introduced to Ben (or GlenTennis as you probably know him better as), who arrived two weeks ago (kinda. More like a week and a half). He's assumed many of my previous responsibilities, including the AnimeVice trailer updating, and I had to train him. He's also tall like a tree, so training him was an effort, I had to get a bullhorn and stand on a footladder to communicate on even the most basic level. And the most basic level is all he understands, so I need to make simple hand gestures and symbols. This week will also see the return of Matthew Kessler Bodega the Third, Esq. to the Whiskey Media family of sites, so I'm learning from the master now. At least that's what he tells me. He's also promising/threatening to integrate me and Ben into his future video features, which has a vaguely sinister tinge to it, doesn't it?

Speaking of learning, my job's become a great deal more complicated what with posting trailers for Giant Bomb, which has vastly more stringent standards of formatting both on the internal naming and what appears on the site. There have been stumbling blocks, some more glaring than others, but overall it's been a great way to learn about aesthetically pleasing formats. On that topic: have you seen the Giant Bomb Facebook page? Cause it's pretty great...and I'm not just saying that because I'm the one who posts most of the links on there. The other Whiskey Media sites have Facebook pages too, but you'll have to look at that OTHER guy's blog to get those links, cause let's face it, you came here, you want to hear about me.

Return of the Kingtern
Return of the Kingtern

And hey, SPEAKING of the other Whiskey Sites, you may have heard your friendly neighborhood intern on Comic Vine's podcast over the last few weeks, which has been great for a few reasons, most notably I didn't ask for it. Ethan essentially wanted to know if I'd like being on the Comic Vine podcast and I had to think about all the various ways I'd like to say "yes." I wasn't nearly boisterous enough my first time and was encouraged to cut loose and be a bit more of a presence in the future 'casts. I've apparently been doing a fine job and I've been learning a lot about professional-level podcasting, which is great for me since I've always wondered what goes into one of these things and actively participating in one really is the best way to find out. I've also been talking about comic books for free for YEARS, I had no idea I could get paid for it.

But wait! There's more! Whiskey Media quests are hot like the surface of the sun and I've been writing most of them across the board. So if you've liked them, that was ME and if you didn't...those parts were all Daniel's fault. I tried to talk him out of them, but he refuses to listen to reason and then he gets all knifey. Writing these quests has been a great way to express myself creatively in small bite-sized chunks. Writing's always been one of my passions but it's been tough to find time to do any in my freetime, so it's nice to find time in my professional life. Of course they're pretty limited in their subject matter, but it's much better practice to have to write with limitations than total freedom.

Apart from that, we're all gearing up for E3 (yeah, even the non-Giant Bomb Whiskey Media folks are, in their own ways, since it will probably touch every facet of the sites) and I'm limbering up my trailer header/deck typin' fingers to be inundated. I've actually had a few people ask me if us interns are going to E3, and the answer to that is HEEEEEEEEEEEELL no. They wouldn't let me anywhere near that event, and with good reason. As much as I've learned and as far as I've come, I don't even know what I'd be doing there as I'm not anywhere near the level of professionally writing about the biggest event in videogames of the year. Still, I'll be making my own contributions and lightening the workload and isn't that what's REALLY important? Aren't I the REAL hero in this story? Yes, and yes.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By benpack

FIRST

edit: also the box didn't confuse me, the tube did.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MiniPato

Undeadpool, I always think your avatar is the DVD cover for Black Hawk Down.

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ethan

I'm buying you guys a camera.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Crono11

Great read and I love that you're on the Comic Vine podcast. 

Keep on Keeping on.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

That seems really cool, and the return of Kessler eh? 
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SSully

Make sure to steal as much of the offices supplies while you are there. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

I like how you used faulty relative links to like to Bodega and Daniel's profiles.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaneDev

Updating the  AnimeVice trailers sounds like an important job.

Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Kessler 2: Electric Boogaloo

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Undeadpool

@MiniPato said:

Undeadpool, I always think your avatar is the DVD cover for Black Hawk Down.

Nope, Scottie Young's interpretation of Zombie Deadpool.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By crusader8463
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
I can already hear the keyboards a blaze with the hate that will be typed once this news spreads.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@crusader8463 said:
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
I can already hear the keyboards a blaze with the hate that will be typed once this news spreads.

I don't have a problem with him, He's a good guy. 
Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Burn1n9m4n

Awesome post, Corey. Can't wait to hear more from the Lives with Interns series of blogs. By the way I hear David Attenborough can be reasonably cheap to get as a narrator.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daniel

I didn't know you knew how to write! Congrats, dude!

* Also, I don't mean "knew how to write" in the sense that, for instance, you might know somebody who can write a story really well, and you'd say something like, "hey, I had no idea you knew how to write!" 'Write' referring to advanced writing, complex thinking, and overall taste.

I wasn't referring to that kind of writing for you. I actually didn't know you knew how to construct coherent sentences. So, congrats!

But in all seriousness, you've been doing a great job with the Quests. So, keep that up.

afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By afrokola

Oh snap, Matt's trying to look busy! Smart guy, just like George Costanza taught us.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#17  Edited By mechakirby

Does anyone actually work for Anime Vice? They're never represented in Happy Hour or anything... Hardly even mentioned.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EuanDewar
@Not_A_Stalker said:
Does anyone actually work for Anime Vice? They're never represented in Happy Hour or anything... Hardly even mentioned.
Tom Pinchuk does some freelance work for them but from what I can tell from my sporadic visits the site is mostly community run. By a crazy community.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Claude

Is Ben as tall as Coonce? Coonce is up there.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By benpack

No official back to back has been done yet, but I am at least as tall.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Win-tern insanity. This will be fun. :)

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Karl_Boss

You are full of win.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

You're going to have to really wow (or threaten, which would probably just increase the belittling, actually) the user-base to get that 'win' thing off the board. 

Great blog, BTW. Definitely looking forward to the Intern-ational Team of Justice sitcom ya'll have planned.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By DG991
@EuanDewar said:
@Not_A_Stalker said:
Tom Pinchuk does some freelance work for them but from what I can tell from my sporadic visits the site is mostly community run. By a crazy community.
Animes for jerks. 
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By ThePickle
@crusader8463 said:
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
I hear a lot about the Kessler hate, but I never actually see the hate. He's my favorite intern they've ever had. I'm surprised I'm the only one who hates Steve, but everyone seems to hate Kessler. 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By crusader8463
@HandsomeDevil said:
@crusader8463 said:
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
I hear a lot about the Kessler hate, but I never actually see the hate. He's my favorite intern they've ever had. I'm surprised I'm the only one who hates Steve, but everyone seems to hate Kessler. 
Go to any of the videos that he was in and read the comments. It's about 80% hate, 5% leave Kessler alone, and 15% people actually talking about the topic of the video. At least in my experience.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ThePickle
@crusader8463 said:
@HandsomeDevil said:
@crusader8463 said:
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
Go to any of the videos that he was in and read the comments. It's about 80% hate, 5% leave Kessler alone, and 15% people actually talking about the topic of the video. At least in my experience.
Investigation Team Go!
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ThePickle
@crusader8463 said:

@HandsomeDevil said:

@crusader8463 said:
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
A lot of people claiming he's ripping off Ryan, a lot of stupid YouTube comments, and a lot of my own comments (I need a life). 
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Undeadpool

@Abyssfull said:

You're going to have to really wow (or threaten, which would probably just increase the belittling, actually) the user-base to get that 'win' thing off the board. Great blog, BTW. Definitely looking forward to the Intern-ational Team of Justice sitcom ya'll have planned.

Why would I want it gone? The only thing worse than infamy is to be forgotten, my friend.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DG991

I really liked kessler cam videos.  

I get the feeling the kessler hate is just a giantbomb meme. 

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mazik765

Sounds awesome. Keep up the good work.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By shiftymagician

So is Whiskey Media slowly becoming...
...THE INTERN-NET!?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it an American thing to treat interns like shit? Seems terrible.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Undeadpool

@Khann said:

Is it an American thing to treat interns like shit? Seems terrible.

I keep getting messages like this and I keep saying it's all in good fun. The stuff the staff here says to me is NOTHING compared to the level of shit-talking that goes on within my circle of close friends.

misclet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By misclet

Are you bomb-terns going to E3?