Inventor of the Two-Flipper Pinball Machine Dies

davide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By davide

The New York Times has an obituary of Steve Kordek, the inventor of the modern pinball machine design, who died recently at age 100. He had an illustrious career which began by chance when he stumbled into the Genco company's lobby to avoid a rainstorm. It is worth reading, and gives interesting insight into the history of pinball. Before he came along pinball machines had six flippers. He came up with the 2-flipper system and supplying direct current to the flippers which allowed for more precise ball control.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/business/steve-kordek-innovator-of-pinball-game-dies-at-100.html

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By eugenesaxe

Drag, I've always been a pinball guy.

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By p00rdevil

There were several pinball machines at my local pool hall and bowling alley when I was growing up. They cost a dime per game, or 3 games for a quarter. But you could win free games if you scored high enough. When you won a game there was a loud, pop! And there was no limit, you could win as many games as you were able before finally loosing. The machines were not replaced or switched out very often, so we got real good at beating them. Like video games you could play them enough to master them, and so really rack up the free games. Put in a quarter and play for hours! I remember walking away from machines with 5 or 6 games on them because were were bored with beating it, lol.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Grimluck343

I've played many a pinball machine, especially in my younger years. RIP.

tadros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By tadros

You can't say he didn't live a long life. You're super lucky if you live to a 100! RIP good sir, I still love playing pinball machines whenever I see one!

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@tadros said:

You can't say he didn't live a long life. You're super lucky if you live to a 100! RIP good sir, I still love playing pinball machines whenever I see one!

Luck has nothing to do with it.

tadros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By tadros

@BigChickenDinner: I know modern medicine has come a long way, but it's not like the average life expectancy is 100! haha