• 64 results
#1 Posted by ahab88 (238 posts) -

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I've got a bit of a twist on it. On console FPSs I play inverted, yet on PC with mouse/keyboard I play normal. Anyone else like me?

#2 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4238 posts) -

I prefer move-where-you-point on both, I think.  I only making pulling back go up in plane sims.

#3 Posted by Matt_ (337 posts) -
@ahoodedfigure said:
"I prefer move-where-you-point on both, I think.  I only making pulling back go up in plane sims."

I agree. Normal for FPS/TPS but with flight stuff I use inverted. I don't know how people use inverted. Some of my friends do and I can't even begin to understand why. I guess you just adapt to one way or the other and it because muscle memory.
#4 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

How do you play inverted with a mouse?  O_o

#5 Posted by Rinkalicous (1339 posts) -

Playing inverted with the mouse seems like the first step towards insanity. As for the controller, I used to prefer inverted, until a hitman game forced you to use non-inverted, so I was pressured into re-learning shooters. And since then, I can't go back.

#6 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Normal for everything.

#7 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -

I can only play on normal... mouse or controller... my brain cant handle the backwardness lol... Up means up and down means down... anything else is mind boggling...

#8 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Inverted for both. 

I've noticed that use of inverted control schemes is usually (not always) dictated by a person's age and their gaming history.  PC gamers who were dealing with these issues before their console brethren came from flight sim backgrounds and tended to stick with that style once games like Descent started offering full 360 views. This carried to quake, then eventually to console shooters for those gamers.

Again, this isn't an always case, it's just a stereotype that is usually true.
#9 Posted by Guerrilla_Mason (476 posts) -

i use normal. Inverted makes my brain hurt.

#10 Posted by morphor (6 posts) -

I wish I could play inverted so I could play older FPS's easier, otherwise it's just a pain.

#11 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

Normal for sure.

I've tried inverted and it wasn't completely ridiculous, but since I am already comfortable with normal I see no reason to try to re wire my brain! :-P

#12 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

i just use normal, my friends always come over and switch to inverted when they play :/

#13 Posted by mordukai (7141 posts) -

Normal for FPS's, Inverted for Flight simulators. 

#14 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

I would have thought more people used inverted. I stick to inverted for everything.

#15 Edited by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

Inverted Y-axis for everything...

I learned how to play from a first person view from X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Microsoft Flight Simulator and an old Atari ST game named Starglider.   All these flying games used inverted Y-axis and so I applied that to Quake and all the other FPS games when they appeared on the market.  No one I know uses Inverted Y, though since none of my gaming friends have been playing all manner of games for as long as I have.  I think in another generation, no one will likely use Inverted-Y.

@snide:   I guess I validate your point.  I learned on PCs in the late 80s-90s, so I can only play Inverted Y.  I get turned around and can't tell up from down when I try "normal."  Actually, Inverted is normal for me.

#16 Posted by spiredcrescent (189 posts) -
@ahab88:
I play exactly the same way
#17 Posted by TMThomsen (2070 posts) -

Inverted Y axis all the way.

#18 Posted by skywing (1153 posts) -

dude normal is the only way to play any game, unless its a flight sim.

#19 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -

Normal, inverted drives me crazy.

#20 Posted by Tanuki (275 posts) -

Normal makes me want to smash my face into a god damn wall.  Seriously... I can't even begin to understand how some people perceive looking down in game as moving a mouse or analog stick down... ... that totally sounded like sarcasm.  It wasn't.  ;)  Inverted Y-axis FTW!  =P

#21 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

Inverted, normal feels very weird.

#22 Posted by Niche (87 posts) -
@ahab88 said:
" I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I've got a bit of a twist on it. On console FPSs I play inverted, yet on PC with mouse/keyboard I play normal. Anyone else like me? "
Yep, same here.
#23 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

Used to play inverted camera all the time (mouse, keyboard, also on both digital and analog controllers), but nowadays, games seem to have been made for regular. I guess it's the aspect ratio or field of view, I can't explain, it's just different.

#24 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

Normal for me.

#25 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Inverted.

#26 Posted by Niche (87 posts) -
@Matt_ said:
"
@ahoodedfigure said:
"I prefer move-where-you-point on both, I think.  I only making pulling back go up in plane sims."
I agree. Normal for FPS/TPS but with flight stuff I use inverted. I don't know how people use inverted. Some of my friends do and I can't even begin to understand why. I guess you just adapt to one way or the other and it because muscle memory. "
I think the idea is that in real life you pull your head back to look up, and inverted controls sort of mirror this movement. Some people just find it more natural that way.
#27 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (697 posts) -
@ahab88 said:
" I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I've got a bit of a twist on it. On console FPSs I play inverted, yet on PC with mouse/keyboard I play normal. Anyone else like me? "
I'm the same. But if it's a third person game I will have inverted on both for the camera controls.
Normal just boggles my mind. Inverted makes much more sense. As Niche said you tilt your head BACK to look up so it makes way more sense to me for that to be mirrored in controls.
#28 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Normal

#29 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

I can go either way.

I like to have inverted whenever i am flying though.

#30 Posted by ROBdaMOB (174 posts) -

in the original socom i guess i set it on inverted
i wasnt very good
when socom 2 came out i guess it was set to normal i excelled way more
like most only inversion i use is in an airplane

#31 Posted by Psyx2 (396 posts) -

Inverted on consoles, normal on PC. It's confusing playing a PC FPS with an inverted mouse.

#32 Posted by AndyC (115 posts) -
@ahab88: normal all the way
#33 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -

As far as am I concerned, inverted IS normal!  That's how it was in Goldeneye, that's how it was on the PC flight sims I played, and that's how it was on Star Fox.  All my friends think I'm nuts, but I know the truth.  I am the only one who really knows what is going on!

#34 Posted by Roboyto (80 posts) -

For years I always used inverted but(i dont know or understand how this happened) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed somehow managed to completely wipe my muscle memory for playing inverted. It took me a long time ive finally relearned inverted and again prefer it to normal, but needless to say i will never insert  TFU into my xbox ever again

#35 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Inverted 4 Life.

#36 Posted by cinemandrew (711 posts) -
@ahab88 said:
I'm the opposite. Though on consoles I usually get used to whatever it's set to pretty quickly.
#37 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

I use inverted for both vertical and horizontal when I have the option.

#38 Posted by Xenos_19 (118 posts) -

My brain got used to Inverted Y for some reason and now I can never go back to normal it just feels weird

#39 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

I use normal. Same for all my friends as well actually.

#40 Posted by MrPerfect (436 posts) -

I can play both ways, so I tend to alternate them at will. 

#41 Edited by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

Its weird. In action games that don't require precise aiming I use inverted but shooters I use normal.

#42 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4238 posts) -
@Niche: Yeah, I get that.  Really it's sort of arbitrary, and either way you can get used to over time.  What I think of is moving where I'm looking or moving the reticle on the screen, as opposed to my head, but your idea makes just as much sense.  It's more what you have in mind when you're teaching yourself the controls than anything.
#43 Posted by rokkis (74 posts) -

Normal on everything.

#44 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

Normal. They call it that for a reason.

#45 Posted by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

Inverted on consoles for me. Regular on PC because for some reason it feels natural like that, whereas with a console it feels totally unnatural and I absolutely cannot do it, it feels so awkward that the last shooter to not have an inverted option, I actually threw away.

#46 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

always inverted

#47 Posted by efebayor (20 posts) -

I don't trust people who use normal, I irrationally think they haven't been gaming very long. Obvioulsly, it's all about playing inverted, pc or console. Anything else and you're all bacon faces.

#48 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

Inverted. How can someone use normal? I think they ARE CRAZY.

#49 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine:

Didnt goldeneye have a bunch of settings with weird names?
#50 Posted by Lyphen (75 posts) -

I was inverted (console and PC) until UT2004 came out, and then I switched. I don't know what it was, but something about it's twitch movements forced me to the other side.