#51 Posted by skunkdragon (212 posts) -

Hope you get time to fix soon dude I to use the app more than most on my phone. Cheers

#52 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Cool app, i'm thinking of buy premium.

#53 Edited by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Hey guys, thought you'd like to know the video buddy works again. They fixes the API, everything is working perfect for me on it. =D

#54 Edited by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

@soup_menu: Hey do you think you can make the app available in the Canadian App Store? It's not there for some reason.

EDIT: Don't see it in the US store, either. Did it get removed?

#55 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

@yoshimitz707: When everything broke I pulled the app from sale, but now that we're back in business I've re-listed it. It may take a few hours for it to reappear, but very soon you should be able to find it in every App Store.

Thanks for hanging in there, guys!

#56 Edited by Evil_Alaska (294 posts) -

Anyone else unable to download subscriber content even though they are a subscriber?

Soup_menu any chance you could add some superfilous in app purchase so we could throw you a few bucks for making such a great app?

#57 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

@evil_alaska: It's not just you. It would appear that things have changed just enough to cause some trouble for the downloading functionality. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance, but that may still be a little while off. Sorry we're not back to 100%, but once things settle down we should be able to get there.

Regarding in-app purchases, I'm flattered by the suggestion. It's not something you're likely to see in the near future, so for right now I'd consider a positive review in the App Store payment enough.

#58 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

@soup_menu: The app keeps telling me "Playback Failed. Your device may not be capable of playing this file. Please try selecting a lower quality." when I try to watch something in HD. But it lets me watch subscriber stuff so I don't think it's a problem with linking my account. It's an iPad 3 running iOS 6.1 if that helps.

#59 Edited by JudgeChief (12 posts) -

When I try to link my account, (non-premium) it says that it failed. Also, it doesn't display any videos at all.

#60 Edited by soup_menu (221 posts) -

@yoshimitz707: @judgechief: I just did a quick test of account-linking and playback and they seem to be working at the moment, but it's entirely possible things haven't totally stabilized yet. I'll try to keep checking in on the thread, but the standing status would seem to be that we're not quite out of the woods yet.

#61 Posted by greks224 (24 posts) -

This and the Android version are a great companion. Awesome work!

#62 Edited by jdbloom (18 posts) -

Great to see it working again! I can now watch the Sony press conference and move away and back to the video without worrying about losing my place! Your app is invaluable to me!

Forgot to post a review on the App Store, just posted one now.

#63 Posted by curry_chips (5 posts) -

I'll echo what people are saying above. Even if there are no plans for in-app purchasing, if you ever want to set up a PayPal, I'll be happy to donate for such a great, useful app.

#64 Edited by Marlowe (33 posts) -

Has the app stopped downloading the newer videos for anyone else? It still streams the videos but it will not download anything after the Crysis 3 quick look.

#66 Posted by vinster345 (128 posts) -

Amen to that. Has been fantastic and have realised how much I use when I was suddenly unable to use it. Hope the downloads function again soon but until then, amazing job!!

#67 Posted by Homeslice (553 posts) -

Didn't realize it, but looks like any problems since the switch should be reported here.

Here's what I posted in the Bug Reporting area yesterday:

Found another issue - the "low"-quality videos that are saved are actually the "mobile" quality. Before the change, there was another size/quality in between "mobile" and "high" -- the app appears to be pulling the "mobile" quality videos and labelling them as "low".

**"Solution" - Sounds like they've done away with the "in-between" quality option (what was called "low" on the Video Buddy) since the site was redesigned, and that obviously there's nothing the Video Buddy can do to change that.**

Here's a rundown of what I can save in the iOS Video Buddy from the past week and a half. Anything not listed cannot be saved.

• Quick Look: Year Walk
  • I Love Mondays: 02/25/13
  • Quick Look: Capcom Arcade Cabinet for 02/20/13
  • Quick Look: Impire
  • Quick Look: The Bridge
  • Quick Look: Crysis 3
  • Quick Look: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • A Grown Man In His Underwear Tells You About Destiny

Grand Total: 8 of the 27 videos added between A Grown Man... and ILM 2/25/13 can be saved. 75% of them are Quick Looks. Every Quick Look could be saved.

Just get it fixed before Blade Runner on Wednesday, is all I'm really asking for.

#68 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

@homeslice: Thank you for the detailed bug report. I haven't had time to work on the app yet, so I'm afraid that being able to save Blade Runner can't be guaranteed.

#69 Posted by Homeslice (553 posts) -

That's okay. It was a joke. Thanks so much for the app in the first place - it's terrific!

#70 Posted by TigerDX (341 posts) -

@soup_menu:If you wouldn't mind dropping the source on GitHub or similar, I would love to help debug the app.

#71 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

@tigerdx: I appreciate the offer, but I actually had a bit of time yesterday to fix the problem and an update is currently making its way through Apple's review process. With a little luck, it'll be available some time next week.

#72 Posted by CoruptAI125 (77 posts) -

I just picked this up a couple of days ago.

Also the app on WP7 is actually awesome for me and the 3 other people with Windows Phones.

#73 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -
#74 Posted by Homeslice (553 posts) -

@soup_menu said:

@tigerdx: I appreciate the offer, but I actually had a bit of time yesterday to fix the problem and an update is currently making its way through Apple's review process. With a little luck, it'll be available some time next week.

That sounds awesome! Thanks so much!

#75 Edited by Homeslice (553 posts) -

@soup_menu Did you happen to also find that the "Low" video quality option appears to be pulling from the same source as the "Mobile" option, instead of the second-lowest video quality?

I guess they must've changed something there, too. Giant Bomb still offers four levels of video quality on everything, so hopefully it's not too big of a fix.

#76 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

@homeslice: Unfortunately, that issue will not be fixed in the impending release.

The API only provides access to the HD, High, and Low versions of each video. There's a system to how the files are named, so up until this point I've been able to get away with inferring what the mobile link would be. The naming scheme has changed slightly for everything posted after the redesign went live, so the code isn't able to figure out how to get the mobile versions of these newer videos. I've got a question out about if the new naming scheme is finalized and, if it is, it shouldn't be too hard to update the app to handle both the old and the new naming conventions.

#77 Posted by brandonleedy (75 posts) -

@soup_menu Been using this since yesterday on my iPad. Works like lightning with a straightforward design. I foresee watching all GB video on it from here on out! And mad props for including a way for subscriber content to be viewed too! Great job!

[**Heads to iTunes Store to leave a 5-Star review.**]

#78 Posted by Homeslice (553 posts) -

@soup_menu Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.

#79 Edited by Megasoum (354 posts) -

@soup_menu: Great app! I just got an iPad a couple of weeks ago and I love the app for my GB needs on the go.

The only thing missing is a Random quicklook button. Something similar to that would be amazing.

Keep up the good work!

#80 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

@brandonleedy: Glad to hear you like it, and I definitely appreciate the 5-star review!

@megasoum: Thank you, too! I'll put "add a random button" on my list of potential future features.

And, unfortunately, I have a bit of bad news. Some of you may have already noticed, but trying to view videos posted before the site relaunch will now crash the app. The cause seems to be a small change to the API that my app is having some trouble with. I've sent a PM to some of Giant Bomb's Top Men in case it's something that can be addressed on their end and, in the event that it isn't, I've also submitted a new build to Apple that prevents the crash. The tricky part is, it's unlikely to see release until some time next week.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and want to thank you all for your patience. You're one of the nicest groups of users I ever did see.

#81 Posted by christopherson329 (217 posts) -

Some of the videos it wont let me download whats up with that

#82 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

I've got a bit of good news to balance out the bad news from last night: the engineers have pushed another update to the API and trying to view old videos will no longer crash the app. The kerfuffle has, unfortunately, delayed the update to fix the issue preventing you from downloading subscriber-only videos and trailer, but the updated build is back in Apple's pipeline. I'm now expecting it out some time next week.

#83 Posted by Homeslice (553 posts) -

@soup_menu Sounds like, with a little bit of patience, this is the best possible outcome. Thanks!!

#84 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

Version 1.0.4 Has Been Approved!

• Restores the ability to download subscriber-only videos and trailers
  • Brings back all four quality settings for videos
  • Fixes a bug with how dates are displayed that would sometimes cause them to show the wrong year

They say that it can take up to 24 hours before the update is available for download, but in my experience it's usually far less. Thanks for hanging in there, guys!

#85 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2325 posts) -

Version 1.0.4 Has Been Approved!

• Restores the ability to download subscriber-only videos and trailers
  • Brings back all four quality settings for videos
  • Fixes a bug with how dates are displayed that would sometimes cause them to show the wrong year

They say that it can take up to 24 hours before the update is available for download, but in my experience it's usually far less. Thanks for hanging in there, guys!

OMG FINALLY WITH THE YEAR FIX. It's been slightly irritating me for the longest time. THANK YOU!

#86 Edited by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

Just downloaded the app for my phone and iPad. Well done, will definitely give 5 star review!

#87 Edited by vinster345 (128 posts) -

@soup_menu: Brilliant stuff!! Very happy with the fixes by the update. Means I can download a couple of quick looks and the TNT for my commute home today! Thank you very much. The app is back to being awesome again

#88 Edited by soup_menu (221 posts) -

Beta Testers Wanted

I'm currently wrapping up work on an update to the app. Significant portions of the code have been rewritten, so I thought it might be good to get a handful of people to beta test it so I can be sure it's shipshape before it hits the App Store. If you're interested in being a tester, PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite to my TestFlight team.

Testing has completed successfully! See the next post for details on v2.0.

#89 Posted by soup_menu (221 posts) -

Version 2.0 Released!

A new version of Giant Bomb Video Buddy is now available. The biggest change is a brand new interface inspired by Giant Bomb's redesign. The update also brings with it improved support for AirPlay plus the ability to watch videos in the YouTube app. This will allow you to stream videos even when you're not on WiFi, though, as with the website, YouTube streaming is not available for trailers or subscriber-only videos.

DLC?!

Something you're probably going to notice pretty quickly is the addition of in-app purchases. Don't worry though, I haven't done anything dastardly like lock away your favorite feature nor do I intend to. Just picture me setting out a tip jar. There's no obligation and donating won't unlock any important features, but if you enjoy the app and want to kick me a buck or two I'm certainly not going to complain.

Thanks again for using Giant Bomb Video Buddy!

#90 Posted by jedge (57 posts) -

Alright man you're freaking me out over here - I downloaded your app yesterday evening but saw that you hadn't updated it so I deleted it...

But now you go and update it and improve it and man.

Nice work duder, I must remember to make a donation at some point. One tiny criticism though? I preferred the older interface...

#91 Edited by CrunchinJelly (16 posts) -

Can you make it dark again, please? Not keen on the bright white now. :-/

#92 Posted by BagronkeN (87 posts) -

Boom! Thank you so much @soup_menu!

This is the most-used app on my iPad and has been for the last years, so Support Rank A was an instabuy. Best DLC all year! ;)

I have only just updated to 2.0, so I'll post some feedback once I've used it a little more.

Thanks again!

#93 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Kudos duder, it looks great.

#94 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

I use this app every day to watch GB videos on my TV. Great work, and thanks a bunch!

#95 Edited by Evil_Alaska (294 posts) -

Nice, thanks again soup, love the update.

Glad you enabled a way for us to send you some cash, money well spent.

#96 Posted by PurpleMoustache (106 posts) -

@crunchinjelly @soup_menu, yeah I really prefer the dark theme on the new GB. If its not too much of a hassle, having an option for that would be amazing.

Great app! Keep up the good work!

#97 Posted by Mint1e (35 posts) -

Hey dude, really enjoyed this on ma ipad, but one small thing with the new update, could you put in a dark theme again... I really don't like the white one, don't ask me why! If you do that I'll be happy to donate you a few monies as I use this all the time!

#98 Posted by Ted_Mosby (77 posts) -

I use this app every single day so I kicked a couple bucks your way. Thanks a lot duder, keep it up.

#99 Posted by sirchode (62 posts) -

You better believe I jumped onto support rank A. Lunch is on me

Thanks for the great work and thanks for providing a way for me to show my gratitude. Love the new look

#100 Edited by FishieBuddha (38 posts) -

Just wanted to say thanks for the app, i use it every day! You save my brain when my wife is watching procedural cop dramas.