#201 Edited by Baillie (4245 posts) -

@soup_menu: What are the chances if adding in option to allow videos to be streamed without wifi? I get good speeds and I travel a lot. Would be perfect for me.

#202 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@baillie: I'd love to, but that call is sadly out of my hands. Apple requires that apps use HTTP Live Streaming when playing even modestly-sized videos over the cellular network and Giant Bomb's site doesn't currently support the protocol.

The main workarounds are to either use the YouTube quality or to download the video because both of those will work regardless of how you're connected to the internet. Neither one is a perfect fix, but hopefully some combination of the two can work for you.

#203 Edited by soup_menu (223 posts) -

Testers Wanted Testing Complete

I spent some time this weekend working on adding support for iOS7's background transfer API. Based on my initial testing it's looking stable, but rather than hitting publish and crossing my fingers I thought I'd ask for a few volunteers to help put the new code through its paces. If you're interested, you can join the TestFlight team using the following link: <link removed>

If no major issues are found during testing I ought to be able to get an update through review and into the App Store in about a week.

#204 Posted by Baillie (4245 posts) -

@soup_menu: Sure, that's what I've been doing anyway. Thanks for the information! I've also signed up for the TestFlight.

#205 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

Version 2.1

GBVB will now continue downloading videos in the background under iOS7. Any videos that started downloading prior to this update will need to finish using the old downloader, but from here on out anything you queue up will keep running even after you leave the app.

#206 Edited by Master (16 posts) -

I can't see any of my downloaded videos on iPad. The "downloaded videos" section on the downloads tab is gone. The only way to watch downloaded videos now is when I'm connected to wifi and I find them in the video lists, but that defeats the purpose of downloading.

Do I have to reinstall? Will I lose all my downloaded videos? :(

#207 Posted by lebkin (331 posts) -

It'd be great to have a section for Encyclopedia Bombastica in the app, just like on the website. They are also being filtering from Latest list when using the "don't show trailers" option which would be great if it was fixed.

#208 Edited by Datajack (127 posts) -

Sorry in advanced if has been asked before. Is it possible to modify the in app video player to include the skip back 30 second controller icon by chance? Thanks!

#209 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@master: I have some good news and I have some bad news. The good news is that I've submitted a new build of the app that will force any missing videos to reappear and you shouldn't lose anything. The bad news is that the update still needs to make its way through Apple's review process. With a bit of luck the review will go quickly and the update will hit the store some time next week, so please hang in there!

@lebkin: Encyclopedia Bombastica will assume its rightful place in the menu in the next version!

@datajack: Unfortunately, Apple's provided video player interface makes the decision about which rewind button to use on its own. Building a custom interface isn't wholly out of the question, but it would be a sizable undertaking, so it's not something you're likely to see in the near future.

#210 Posted by Linkachu95 (35 posts) -

Love the app. How difficult would it be to integrate chromecast support?

#211 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@linkachu95: Although I am interested in adding support for Chromecast, it's looking like a larger project than I have time to tackle right now. In the iOS version I do support AirPlay, so if you have an AirPlay receiver I've got you covered there. If you happen to have an Android device laying around, there are a few third-party apps that can get Chromecast working with Giant Bomb Video Buddy on that platform, but unfortunately there isn't any way to do that sort of hand-off in iOS.

#212 Posted by Master (16 posts) -

@soup_menu: Your great customer service and communication is fantastic. I just donated :)

#213 Edited by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@master: Thank you very much! I also have an update on the next version of the app: it has successfully passed review, but Apple is currently experiencing an issue that's preventing approved apps from actually reaching the App Store. There's no ETA for a fix, but the new version is poised to release as soon as they get it sorted out.

Update (March 21): The update has finally hit the App Store! If you guys run into any other problems please let me know.

#214 Edited by Matt (964 posts) -

@soup_menu I'be using this app a lot recently and just wanted to say thanks and keep up the great work. You're awesome!

#215 Posted by august (3853 posts) -

@soup_menu: have you thought about adding a download(s) finished sound cue? It's about the only thing I would add to this app.

#216 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@august: The thought definitely has crossed my mind. In the Android version I show a toast when the downloads finish, but iOS doesn't have a direct analog to that. There's nothing in the works at the moment, but adding a chime or a notification when all of the downloads finish is something that might show up in a future version.

#218 Posted by DrWorm (33 posts) -

I was wondering if there were a way to make a playlist / "watch later" list? I usually don't have the time to watch the longer videos in one sitting. With new videos always being added, it's too easy to forget what I was watching. This will be especially true for E3, when there are daily shows, trailers, and the occasional interview filling up the feed. So the ability to mark stuff for watching later would be a big help. (I know one option is to download the videos, but I don't have the space on my ipad for that).

#219 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@drworm: Sadly there is not. I know you said downloading is a no-go due to space concerns, but could downloading the mobile quality version and then selecting a higher quality when you want to watch work? It would still chew up a good chunk of bandwidth and storage space, but maybe it could lower the bar enough to be a viable option since mobile is usually about 1/3 the size of high and 1/5 the size of HD.

#220 Posted by lebkin (331 posts) -

Just wanted you to know how great your app is. I literally use it every day. Threw $5 into the pot for future support.

And if anyone doesn't know: there is a DLC section in the menu that lets you donate. Please do if you like the app!

#221 Posted by figurehead00 (142 posts) -

I have no idea if this is the right place to ask about this or not. If not just point me in the right direction.

I've always downloaded videos at home to watch at work. Recently though, when I hit the Download button, it shows up in my Downloads section and just says "0.00 of 0.00 MB" beneath it, and nothing happens.

Anyone have any idea how I can start downloading again? Work is really boring without it.

#222 Edited by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@lebkin: Thanks!

@figurehead00: Well that's not good. Could you provide some additional details? The main ones are: what device are you using, what OS version are you running, and is the device rooted/jailbroken? It would also be helpful to know what you've tried (e.g., waiting a few minutes to see if it will start, rebooting the device, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, etc).

#223 Edited by chimpchamp (42 posts) -

I had exactly the same problem on iPhone 5S for over a week now, but just tried turning the device off and back on again... And it works fine now!

Thanks for this app, it is fantastic. Well designed and programmed, it allows me to enjoy GB content so much more on the move.

#224 Posted by SleepingLesson (117 posts) -

Is there no way to get downloaded videos off of a device? I'm using a Droid DNA, and can't find the videos anywhere to transfer to my PC.

#225 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@sleepinglesson: On iOS it would require a jailbreak, but on Android it's possible without root, though recent versions of Android have made it a bit of a pain. The files are located in <storage volume>/Android/data/com.giantbomb.unofficial.gbvb.android/files/videos/ , which is readable on the device, but may be hidden when you plug your phone/tablet into your PC. There are any number of ways to get at the files, so here are a few examples:

• If you have the space, you could use a file manager on Android to copy the files into another folder and then pull them off over USB.
  • You can also reliably force them to show up by modifying the files. For example, if you use a file manager to rename a folder (e.g., change "videos" to "videos2" and then back to "videos"), its contents will then be available.
  • You could also create a writable share on your PC and use a file manager to copy the files via WiFi
#226 Edited by SleepingLesson (117 posts) -

@soup_menu: Thank you, I will try again to find them. Using file managers on the device was no use. I think it's more the fault of my DNA, as it doesn't have external storage and loves hiding app data in system file after system file after hidden folder, etc. I have seriously looked through every folder on the device and used search tools, but can't find anything.

[EDIT] Found it! I swear by the old gods and the new that the video file was not in this folder when I checked yesterday. Thank you soup.

#227 Posted by dvydra (20 posts) -

@soup_menu bug report: none of the e3 videos seem to play, and when you try to download them, the file size is only a few kB.

#228 Posted by dvydra (20 posts) -

@soup_menu eg. http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/e3-2014-were-talking-over-the-ubisoft-press-confer/2300-9003/

seems like download for those is broken on the site too! but they do play on site in ipad safari. cheers.

#229 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@dvydra: Yeah, it looks like there may be an issue in the database right now. The information about the videos is there, but links to the files are not. The bad news is that I can't do anything on my end to fix it, but the good news is that (1), as you mentioned, the files still work through the browser and (2) the GB team are usually quick to fix any database oddities that crop up, so normal operation is likely to resume before too long.

#230 Posted by dvydra (20 posts) -

@soup_menu: Yeah, and they're probably pretty busy this week. I'm going to blame Rorie.

Anyway, keep being awesome. I use GBVB daily.

Just kidding, love you Rorie.

#231 Posted by Kaburorne (119 posts) -

Hey man, I just wanted to post and say thank you for making this app! I use it pretty much daily, it's the easiest way to watch Giant Bomb on a TV, thanks to airplay. You should have a top level DLC payment coming your way!

#232 Posted by PaulM (144 posts) -

@tranquilchaos: Although there isn't an Android version of Giant Bomb Video Buddy, there IS an Android version of Whiskey Media Video Buddy, my earlier app. It may not have that new-app smell, but it'll still help you get your Giant Bomb fix while on-the-go.

I have been using this app for years, it's great thanks man.

#233 Posted by DrWorm (33 posts) -

New version? It has playlists?! And Chromecast support?!? Fantstic!! DLC has been bought.

(sorry about the punctuation, but I am beside myself on this one).

#234 Posted by dvydra (20 posts) -

@soup_menu: small bug report - I was connected to a wifi access point that wasn't connected to the internet, and attempting to open GBVB got stuck on the splash page and then crashed.

#235 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@dvydra: Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not spotting the cause right off, so I have one follow-up question and one request.

The question is: did the crash just occur once, or did it keep crashing until you got off that network?

The request is: would you mind emailing me a copy of the crash log? The file will be named "Giant Bomb Video Buddy_" followed by a timestamp and there are a couple of ways to retrieve it:

• If you sync the iOS device with a computer a copy will be put in:
    • OSX: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>
    • Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE_NAME>
    • Win Vista, 7, 8: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE_NAME>
  • You can also get the log off the iOS device itself:
    • Open the Settings app and navigate to General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostic & Usage Data
    • For some stupid reason iOS 7 seems to have knocked out Select All, but if you long-press you can still drag the selection out to include everything and then select Copy
#236 Posted by Megasoum (360 posts) -

Amazing job on the app. Works great on my iPad.

The only thing I would add is a random button for each categories. I love watching old random quicklooks while siting on the throne lol.

#237 Posted by raymath (4 posts) -

Again, thanks so much for the app!

One request, is there a way you could make it a bit more no reception/airplane mode friendly?

On app startup I assume it's making some sort of call to retrieve the various filtered lists. Whatever it is, when you have weak to no reception this makes app startup take a long time. Turning on airplane mode then starting the app is a workaround, but the video lists don't get populated. Were these lists cached in the last version? I don't remember this behavior at all.

Anyway it's a minor nitpick in an awesome app. Couldn't thank you enough for working on this thing!

#238 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@raymath: I've got another small bugfix update making its way through Apple's review process that should hopefully take care of issues related to having a network connection but not being able to reach the internet. Once it's out (probably early next week) please give it a shot and let me know if there's still trouble.

#239 Edited by Naldean (13 posts) -

@soup_menu Thanks for all your work on the app! I have some issues I've been running into recently. For the last little while (I think since your last significant update), the app seems to get progressively more laggy after playing videos for a while. Particularly the transition between playing and the video list or vice versa. I'm on an iPad 3 and normally use it to Airplay to an Apple TV.

The other issue just started today, and I have no idea what changed (it doesn't look like anything relevant was updated). When I'm using Airplay to the AppleTV, whenever the iPad's screen goes off (either due to the timeout or if I close the cover) the app seems to die within a few seconds. The stream stops playing and when I turn on the iPad again it's on the home screen. I've never had this issue before so no clue what's going on. Any ideas?

#240 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@naldean: Regarding the laggy performance, I did a bit of digging and found a memory leak that seems like it's probably related. I was able to fix it and have put an update into the review pipeline. Thanks for reporting the issue!

As for AirPlay playback stopping when the screen locks, that's definitely strange. When you go back into the app, does it seem like it's starting fresh or is the information for the video you were just watching still on the screen? If it's resuming where you left off then it sounds like the app has somehow lost its permission to run in the background, though I'm not quite sure how that could have happened. If the app is relaunching, then it sounds like the app is crashing upon entering the background, which would also be odd.

In either case, there haven't been any updates to the app recently, so the sudden appearance of the issue is weird. Have you made any changes to your iPad lately (applying a jailbreak, installing an iOS 8 beta, or anything like that)? If so, that change could potentially be involved.

If you haven't already, you might want to try uninstalling and re-installing the app. It's not a cure-all, but I've seen a clean install fix unusual issues before. If that still doesn't do it, would you mind checking to see if there are any crash logs? A few posts up I included some details about where the logs can be found, so if you take a look and spot any with a timestamp that seems to correspond with an occurrence of the issue I'd appreciate if you could send them my way. I'm going to be out of town for a little while, so I wouldn't have a chance to dig into them right away, but when I get back I'd be happy to take a look and see what I can see.

#241 Posted by Qlanth (127 posts) -

I have to say this app is great. I bought a chromecast specifically to watch Giant Bomb on my TV and I was baffled to find that Chrome doesn't support Chromcast on iOS...

So far everything works great. Love the functionality. Is there a tip jar somewhere?

#242 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@qlanth: If you're feeling inclined to toss something into the ol' tip jar there should be a DLC option near the bottom of the menu. Happy to hear you like the app!

#243 Posted by headn00b (5 posts) -

Hey, love this app and it got me through a night in hospital on Friday. Weirdly though the Chromecast option has disappeared today when I've opened it? Other Chromecast apps on my phone are still working fine. I've tried a fresh install but this hasn't worked, any ideas?

#244 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@headn00b: Sorry to hear about the hospital stay, but I'm glad the app helped a bit.

As for Chromecast, that's tricky. So far all of the Chromecast issues I've come across have either been with the devices not being on the same WiFi network or they've cleared up on their own within a few hours, so I don't have much in the way of troubleshooting tips.

If other apps can successfully cast and a force quit (or clean install) doesn't fix things I'll probably have to do some digging to find an answer. I'm out of town at the moment, but if you can let me know what device you're using and what OS it's running I can try looking into it when I'm back home.

#245 Posted by Vextroid (1418 posts) -

I want to say that this is a fantastic app, but I have a small issue. So I finally upgraded to iOS 7 recently and updated this app but now, I can't adjust the scrubbing rate. No matter how far I slide down my finger I can't fine tune down to the second like on iOS 6 versions of the app.

Running iOS 7.1.2 on an iPad 3.

#246 Posted by soup_menu (223 posts) -

@vextroid: Unfortunately that appears to be a long-standing bug with iOS 7. I reported it to Apple some time ago, but none of the subsequent 7.x releases contained a fix. The iOS 8 betas do appear to restore the correct functionality, though if you're not one to hop onto new OS versions that may be cold comfort.

#247 Posted by Vextroid (1418 posts) -

@soup_menu: Really? That's a shame. I do have other video apps that don't have this bug.

#248 Posted by niceDogtheBountyHunter (11 posts) -

Hello. Has anybody else noticed that videos have started to lag recently in the Video Buddy app? Whenever I start a video in the app, the audio plays fine but the video jerks around for a few seconds. The video jerking occurs randomly throughout videos, and also seems to occur when I tap the screen to access the video player controls. Is this widespread at all or just me?

#249 Posted by august (3853 posts) -
#250 Posted by Quid_Pro_Bono (303 posts) -

@jerryschust: I'm on an iPad Air and haven't ever seen that particular issue. Try reinstalling?