#1 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

So I'm in the market for a new tv for my room. I can really only fit a 32inch tv, so I'm wondering if it's even worth getting a 1080p set at that size. It's going to be used for games and video streaming. I want something that'll be good on these new consoles.

But at this size screen, what's my best option here? I saw one vizio set that was 1080p and 120hz refresh for 379.99and a samsung set that was 1080p 60hz for 399.99.

But if I go down to 720p at this size, I can get a vizio set that's 720p, 60hz for 249.99 or a samsung that's the same , but 279.99

Here's links to them:

Samsung 1080p set:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCGRVSU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385086970&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Vizio 1080p: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C5B1844/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385087077&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Samsung 720p: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0078LSTWU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385087342&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Vizio 720p: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0096YOQRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1385087249&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Any advice?

(EDIT: So I've decided I'm actually going to go for a 40 or 42 inch 1080P HDTV because I plan to keep it for a while after I buy it. (A few years at least) and I think getting a bigger size tv is more future looking. Do you guys have any advice on good 1080p sets in that size range?)

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (9489 posts) -

@raven_sword: How far away are you planning to watch it?

I like 1080p on a 16 in display from two feet away, but if it was four feet away, I'd probably be fine with 720p. If your 32in is six feet away or something 720p would probably be fine.

All I'd wonder is how old the set is to only be 720p.

#3 Edited by MB (13155 posts) -

I've got that Vizio and it's a great unit. It gets used as a PC monitor, for Hulu & Netflix, and occasional console use. There is a huge difference between 60 and 120hz when being used as a monitor.

Get the 120hz/1080p set even if you don't think you need it now, no reason to be stuck with 720p60 at this point. I don't own either Samsung so I can't compare them to the Vizio, just keep in mind that a lot of people will be telling you to buy Samsung and that "Vizio sucks" who have no first hand experience with Vizio whatsoever.

#4 Posted by Korwin (3047 posts) -

Always Be Ten-Eightying.

#5 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

@mb: yeah, from what I hear vizio doesn't really have the issues they did when I bought my current tv is 2007. I remember back then paying like 800 dollars for my 720p samsung, ha ha. I wanted to get something nice, but that would fit in my room. And I figured might as well get 1080p at this point, but didn't know which was a good set in that size range.

#6 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

@truthtellah:

We'll, I sit in a chair low on the floor, so the set will be on the top entertainment center shelf. I'll probably be playing at about 68 inches (5 feet, 8 inches) away from the screen.

#7 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

1080P is only really noticeable at 40 inches and up so maybe it is not such a good idea to get a 32 inches 1080P TV. But in this time and age maybe it is better to go with a 1080P TV?

#8 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (529 posts) -

I have that 120hz/1080p Vizio as well, and it's great. I think it's definitely worth the extra $100-150 over the 60hz/720p fare you could pick up.

#9 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

@darji: that's what I figured since so much of our games and content are or are going to be 1080p now. At least I hope.

#10 Edited by TruthTellah (9489 posts) -

@raven_sword: hmm. Well, you might be able to be okay with 720p at that distance and size, but after looking at the sets, the 1080p ones come with 3 HDMI inputs. And as far as the future goes, that actually seems like the safest bet. Most things(like these new consoles) are just going with HDMI now; so, that should be a factor in this. I'd pay the extra to make sure it isn't just behind the times in a year or so.

#11 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

@darji said:

1080P is only really noticeable at 40 inches and up so maybe it is not such a good idea to get a 32 inches 1080P TV. But in this time and age maybe it is better to go with a 1080P TV?

it also matters how close you are to the screen. almost everyone with average eyesight can totally see the difference on a 32" 3 feet away. He said he's around 5'-6' away so it might not matter depending on what his vision is like.

I'd say try to get hands-on with each TV and see how you like the contrast, color rendering, and how much you notice 60Hz v. 120Hz. All 3 everyone perceives a little differently so check it out for yourself.

#12 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1612 posts) -

It might not technically make a huge difference, but buying a 720p TV in 2013 just seems short-sighted. I play games on a 1080p 23" monitor and sit maybe 4-5 feet away from it, and I feel like I'd notice the resolution difference, at least for text and other small interface elements.

Also, look into the response times of the TVs you're thinking about buying! And if you're thinking about hooking up older systems, make sure the upscaler on the TV works well and doesn't result in a bunch of lag.

#13 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Is the 1080p vizio actual 120Hz or a simulated 120hz?

I'm leaning towards that one over the samsung because the Samsung it's only 60hz with a simulated 120hz mode. And the vizio is like 20 bucks cheaper. But maybe the samsung is a better panel?

#14 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

@grantheaslip: what's considered acceptable response time? I think the 1080p vizio is 6.5ms

#15 Edited by clumsyninja1 (816 posts) -

32'' at 1080 is a waste of money, get a least a 42'' 1080. Also, wait for Black Friday!

#16 Edited by Karkarov (3293 posts) -

1080 on 32 is "ok" but you wont really see a difference unless you are within a few feet of the tv. You definitely want 1080 on anything above 40.

#17 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1612 posts) -

@grantheaslip: what's considered acceptable response time? I think the 1080p vizio is 6.5ms

I'm not the guy to ask about this, but I think that's good. It's actually the upscaling/analog conversion aspect I'd be more worried about. I've heard that a lot of modern TVs add pretty bad latency to systems hooked up via composite or component cables. If you search Amazon reviews for, say, "PS2" or "Wii" and don't see any problems, I bet you're fine.

#18 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Actually, thinking on it more I think it would be better to save for a 40 inch or 42inch because I do plan to keep it for a good amount of time. Is their recommended 1080p sets in that size range?

#19 Edited by Tom_Scherschel (137 posts) -

Regardless of which TV you go with:

1) You cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 32-inch display unless you have your nose pressed to the screen, and probably not even then.

2) Do no, DO NOT, get a TV with that 120Hz bullshit. It's a marketing term, like 600Hz plasma displays. It's not refreshing twice as fast as a 60Hz TV, it's just interlacing additional frames between the real ones. It makes TV look like shit and cannot be good for response time, if you're worried about that.

#20 Posted by YukoAsho (2144 posts) -

@raven_sword: How far away are you planning to watch it?

I like 1080p on a 16 in display from two feet away, but if it was four feet away, I'd probably be fine with 720p. If your 32in is six feet away or something 720p would probably be fine.

All I'd wonder is how old the set is to only be 720p.

I still see a bunch of 720p-only sets out there. They're usually not as expensive as the 1080p ones.

Anyway, back to the OP, yeah, you have to get really close on a 32-inch to notice. Truthtella here is exactly right, if you're looking at it from a couch in a living room, 720p is probably good enough. Pixel redundancy is an issue the further back you sit. Sit far enough away with a small enough screen and even 480p is fine. This is why I don't see 4K taking off unless we see a market in even bigger TVs. It just screams "this is for a person at a desk."

#21 Posted by LiquidPrince (16186 posts) -

1080P is always worth it regardless of the size. Smaller TV's benefit from having a higher PPI, which in turn makes everything look nice and sharp.

#22 Posted by Slag (4912 posts) -

I shoot for ~5 Ms myself. Anything faster gets pricey, anything slower I feel like I notice input lag.

#23 Posted by bybeach (5009 posts) -

I would do it. Always look to give yourself headroom if it be affordable.

#24 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

@bybeach: you would do the 40 inch? Or what did you mean?

#25 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3830 posts) -

Depends on how close you're going to sit to your tv and what size room its in. If its a big room and your sitting on a couch go with a bigger television, if its in a small room and the tv is going to be propped on a computer desk your sitting next to then yeah go with that one. To be honest if you're in the US just wait a week till black friday and get your tv then. Every tv I've bought over the past maybe 10 years has been during black friday, I've gone through 3 upgrades.

#26 Edited by DukesT3 (1945 posts) -

I have that Sony playstation tv thats 24in(?) I bought from ebay at a decent price. Works just fine in my bedroom and its pretty solid.

#27 Posted by Zekhariah (695 posts) -

At this point, I don't really think it makes sense to pick up anything less than 1080p.

I know that 720p on a 37" from abuot 10 feet away has kind of a weirdly pixelated look. Like you cannot see individual pixels, but shapes come out to odd un-natural edges and aliasing is really noticeable. For example, before the 1080p patch on PS4 hair in Assasin's Creed 4 looked like a shiny detail-less plate.

#28 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1937 posts) -

Anything under 1080p is unacceptable these days. I keep seeing some people say at that size there's no difference between 720p and 1080p, and that is ludicrous. If you are close enough for a 32 inch to be an acceptable size, you are close enough to see the difference. I mean, would you ever consider getting a computer monitor that was less than 1080p? Probably not, and those are usually 22 inches and under.

#29 Edited by jeanespinosa21 (87 posts) -

@raven_sword: id say get 1080p and you're future proof for a while. because honestly lets say your tv upscales its resolution while playing games to 1080i which makes the games look less impressive.

#30 Edited by Fattony12000 (7585 posts) -

1080p is mostly fine/great for display on most HDTVs up to (around) 65 inches in size. 65" is about the largest you'll see in the 'standard' range of sizes (found at most retail type retail shops for retail) and 1080p is the standard for those sorts of sizes of screens.

The overall quality of the TV will largely depend on the panel, the latency and the content you push to it. And your experience will also largely depend on where you site the screen, how far away you are from it and how you use it (films/games vs pages of high resolution text pushed from a PC).

I bought my first HDTV in 2005. It was an LG, 32 inches, 1080i and didn't even have HDMI.

I still have it, in fact!

Those were the days.

#31 Edited by DifferenceEngine (73 posts) -

Nope. Don't do it, you'll just be wasting money. 1080p is fairly useless from 32" on down.

#32 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3052 posts) -

Here's the deal- nearly everyone who is a gamer sits closer to their HDTV than recommended. That means most people sit close enough to see some pixels to some extent. Therefore, the native resolution matters even for small HDTVs For a big HDTV, that you sit too close to, it matters ENORMOUSLY.

The only exception for not going 1080p for a sub 32" HDTV is when you are buying junk. If you are buying a store-brand $175 set than I would just find the El'Crapo set you like best, not matter what it says on the box. When I travel over the holidays I bring a 6lb 22" Insignia HDTV...it is garbage...but I can play games on it without bothering others. A tiny tv like that fits in a big duffle bag or a small suitcase with my cloths.

#33 Posted by morose (25 posts) -
#34 Posted by sometimesavowel (120 posts) -

I've wondered this myself from the perspective of whether or not you're getting the most out of 1080p on a set that size. While it couldn't hurt, you should totally be in it for the refresh rate. Because y'know, video games.

#35 Posted by ch3burashka (5263 posts) -

@korwin said:

Always Be Ten-Eightying.

10-4.

#36 Edited by Malphye (410 posts) -

Thanks to this thread I sit just close enough to enjoy the full benefits of my 1080p display. Met my quota of learning something new every day. Now I can relax.

#37 Posted by Sinusoidal (1824 posts) -

Definitely. My 5-inch phone is 1080p. It's glorious!

#38 Posted by GaspoweR (3533 posts) -
#39 Posted by Spankmealotus (305 posts) -

I feel like the resolution of your tv is a lot more dependent on how close to it you are compared to the size of the screen. If you're far enough away from the screen that you can't see that much detail even if it's there it is pointless. For me 1080 on my computer monitor (32") sometimes seems a little low. However 1080 on my TV (46") from 5-6 feet away seems like any more level of detail would be mostly lost.

At the same time it may be possible that even if you don't pick up on the tiny details consciously your brain my pick up on them and will seem to look a lot better even if you can't quite figure out why. For me though the size of your screen relative to the distance of it is a big factor in how high of a resolution I want.

#40 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

It matters to me but that's because I'm about 4 feet away from my TV when I play games. If I were sitting on the opposite end of the room, I wouldn't notice it

#41 Posted by Doppelgamer (245 posts) -

If people are living fine with 1080p on small 15" laptop screens, I don't see why 1080p would be bad on a 32" TV. It's never been an issue with my 32" 1080p HDTV, but I got mine 4 years ago when 1080p was more common on those screen sizes.

#42 Edited by BRich (440 posts) -

Unless you are using it as a computer monitor, you are fine with 720p.

#43 Posted by Avarix (47 posts) -