#1 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -

My mom is downgrading our internet speed from 7MBPS to 2MBPS is these a fast enough connection for playing games over Xbox Live?

#2 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

megaBITS or megaBYTES?

if A) then god no if B) then yeh

in fact if A) how the hell do you play them on 7.0Mbps anyway?

and i'm pretty sure the thingy you contract isn't pre second, it's bandwidth or something i DON't KNOW

#3 Posted by Kazona (3058 posts) -

I assume you're talking about Mbytes in both cases. In which case the answer to your question is yes. But man, why downgrade your internet?

#4 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I play on a wimpy 3 MBps line and it works perfect, I am sure 2 cant be that terrible.

#5 Edited by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -
Kazona said:
"I assume you're talking about Mbytes in both cases. In which case the answer to your question is yes. But man, why downgrade your internet?"
Our prices got jacked up so shes downgrading everything on our bill at the moment. :( EDIT: Yes it is MegaBYTES.
#6 Edited by Bellum (2944 posts) -

Pfft, I used to play Quake on 56k.

#7 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

^ But quake didn't have nearly as much information to communincate (aka objects and their movement) nor voicechat

#8 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

And it also ran like shit. :P

#9 Edited by DJ_Lae (629 posts) -

Yeah, I ran XBL on a 1.5mbps connection for a while and it was fine.

edit - so long as we're talking DSL here.

#10 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

Should this be fine:

MidcoNet Broadband's Speed Test said:

"Download Speed: 9131 kbps (1141.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 459 kbps (57.4 KB/sec transfer rate)"

We get loads of lag in Call of Duty 4 and Resistance 2.
#11 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -
DJ_Lae said:
"Yeah, I ran XBL on a 1.5mbps connection for a while and it was fine.

edit - so long as we're talking DSL here."
Road Runner actually.
#12 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

We'll first off people really need to learn the monkiers since Megabyte is a standard of measurement in storage and megabit is your standard in speed, all internet speeds are measured by the megabit.

http://www.netbook.cs.purdue.edu/othrpags/qanda188.htm

any thing over 1 Mbps is a good connection speed when it comes to broadband but its the lower end of good its gonna get you where your going, any ways in most net gaming your going to want to be more worried about upload speed since download speed just doesn't need to be that good its your uplaod speed that needs to be up to par for smooth gaming, I personally want a verizon fios connection rated to give me even download and upload speeds of around 5mbps.

As of right now im running comcast which gives me 12-16mbps down and 2-3 mbps up.

#13 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

You should be fine with anything above 512 kbps (to play on someone else's server).

Lag is caused by the server. You will need at least 1 mbps UPLOAD (NOT DOWNLOAD) to host a decent game, and if the person hosting has a crappy computer you will lag even if you have a good DOWNLOAD. 

Hosting means you need to UPLOAD. Connecting to someone's server means you need to DOWNLOAD. You do need to do both but most of it is as I mentioned. 

That's how it is on PC, I don't think XBL is any different. 
#14 Posted by kalanithimaran (1 posts) -
@DARKIDO07 said:

" My mom is downgrading our internet speed from 7MBPS to 2MBPS is these a fast enough connection for playing games over Xbox Live? "

Ya it's fast connection for playing games..I am using the same Speed internet Connection & i am playing games.I checked out the speed in the site 

http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/

#15 Posted by Giantsquirrel (601 posts) -

Should work, I played on 300k for around 2 years and didn't suffer too badly.

#16 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

2 is still pretty damn good 
#17 Edited by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I play games at 10 Mbps (~1.25 MBps), which is quite a bit slower than 2 MBps, so I think you're fine. Hell, where I live 10 Mbps is the fastest you can get.

#18 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

I play on 1.5, and I usually have my laptop with wireless on too. You'll be fine :D

#19 Posted by Chaser324 (6263 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" We'll first off people really need to learn the monkiers since Megabyte is a standard of measurement in storage and megabit is your standard in speed, all internet speeds are measured by the megabit."
I totally agree with you on that point. As someone with a degree in computer engineering, stuff like this kills me.

Anyway, I currently have a 2 Mbps (that's megabits per second) connection, and I rarely have any issues playing games on Xbox Live.
#20 Posted by Phonics (327 posts) -

I was forced to downgrade from 8Mbps to 1 to actually afford food and it's terrible. Probably not as bad if you live in the states since odds are that almost every game host is from the US. Oh well, at least I get patches and DLC.

#21 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -
@crunchUK said:

" megaBITS or megaBYTES?if A) then god no if B) then yehin fact if A) how the hell do you play them on 7.0Mbps anyway?and i'm

Whether it's megabits or megabytes, two of them is far more than enough. Two megabits per second comes out to 900 megabytes an hour and playing games on XBOX Live requires more like 10 to 20 megabytes an hour down and 6 megabytes up. A little more if the game's netcode is poor and a lot more up if you're the one hosting a game with a lot of players. Even if you doubled the amount of bandwidth required for XBOX Live (30 down and 12 up) you'd still have enough on a 2 megabit per second connection to run  many XBOX machines online simultaneously.

20 megabytes down per hour is 12 kilobytes per second, which is 92 kilobits per second -- or 0.08 megabits per second.

You could still have latency issues (especially if your provider or someone along the stream does cruddy shaping to your connection that interferes), but in that case it wouldn't matter if you had 2 megabits per second or a full OC3.
#22 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" We'll first off people really need to learn the monkiers since Megabyte is a standard of measurement in storage and megabit is your standard in speed, all internet speeds are measured by the megabit.

I completely understand the confusion people have, though, because a file on one end is in bytes, the speed of its transfer is in bits, and the data is measured in bytes again once it's received (and of course, don't break their brains by introducing them to the difference between binary and base-ten measurements of storage and their simultaneous use in the industry!).
#23 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Branthog said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:
" We'll first off people really need to learn the monkiers since Megabyte is a standard of measurement in storage and megabit is your standard in speed, all internet speeds are measured by the megabit.

I completely understand the confusion people have, though, because a file on one end is in bytes, the speed of its transfer is in bits, and the data is measured in bytes again once it's received (and of course, don't break their brains by introducing them to the difference between binary and base-ten measurements of storage and their simultaneous use in the industry!). "
You broke my brain! 
#24 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I don't play on anything less than 8Mb down, 700Kb up.

#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12441 posts) -
@Bellum said:
" Pfft, I used to play Quake on 56k. "
Ha-ha, me too.  UT 1999 on my dial up modem at around 33.3k.
#26 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I still get lag with 100.

#27 Posted by CaptainObvious (2992 posts) -

Yeah, i'm still rolling with 0.5 Mb and its fine.

#28 Posted by tacoMOOSE (30 posts) -
@Bellum: 

56K is back.
#29 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Most any game should be fine with just half a Mbit unless something went seriously wrong with the netcode, as long as you connect to people in the same region.

#30 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

I assume he solved the problem and tried if it was in December = D

But if he does ever read this I have the same speed connection and it's fine.

#31 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -

Ah, Rogue Spear over 56k :D Thems were the days.

#32 Posted by Slippy (735 posts) -

I game on that and it's absoultely fine.
#33 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

I play on 12 Mbps, and honestly I don't notice any significant change from when I used 2. Having a high Mbps is useful for hosting games, though. But that's about it.

#34 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yes, i play on a 1.5mb service. i want a faster internet though, it takes a while to watch things on the internet as i have to let the videos load.