Is a fanboy a bad thing? Really!?

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By ADTR_ZERO

I feel like this term has been thrown around alot, and almost like people would fight that they aren't a fanboy. But is a fanboy really a bad thing? 

I like video games more than alot people (but also less then alot of people.) You wouldn't find anything wrong with that now, would you? But somebody could say you're a video game fanboy. Now all of a sudden, it's an insult when it's really just a different way of saying the same thing. 

(i.e I like/prefer X over X. Like and prefer being synonyms, but just imagine people finding one of those words insulting.) 

It's like saying, "I think I'm a good looking guy." Then somebody else saying, "Dude you're so handsome!!!" but saying it as and insult. 

Can't we all just stop stupid things like fanboy? I know that's alot to ask for, too much. But at least here on Giantbomb, is that too much too ask for? We are a community of integrity!!! 

Update: So, is everybody saying it's a very bad thing to say Giantbomb is is an aswome game site and is 10,000x better than Gamespot? Soley because you would be a fanboy of on thing? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, this is a serious question.
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

I feel like this term has been thrown around alot, and almost like people would fight that they aren't a fanboy. But is a fanboy really a bad thing? 

I like video games more than alot people (but also less then alot of people.) You wouldn't find anything wrong with that now, would you? But somebody could say you're a video game fanboy. Now all of a sudden, it's an insult when it's really just a different way of saying the same thing. 

(i.e I like/prefer X over X. Like and prefer being synonyms, but just imagine people finding one of those words insulting.) 

It's like saying, "I think I'm a good looking guy." Then somebody else saying, "Dude you're so handsome!!!" but saying it as and insult. 

Can't we all just stop stupid things like fanboy? I know that's alot to ask for, too much. But at least here on Giantbomb, is that too much too ask for? We are a community of integrity!!! 

Update: So, is everybody saying it's a very bad thing to say Giantbomb is is an aswome game site and is 10,000x better than Gamespot? Soley because you would be a fanboy of on thing? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, this is a serious question.
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

I still don't know if bumping is allowed. I hope so.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Turambar

Given how the term "fanboy" seems to be used most commonly with arguments over of quality of something, I'll make a comment within that scope.  The winner will always be the person that ends up getting the most enjoyment out of a game, and the act of "proving yourself correct" is secondary.  In this sense, few can beat an actual fan boy of a game, whether you'd like to call them blind to the faults of a game, or simply forgiving of it. 

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed

Being a fanboy is a bad thing when you say stupid things with no facts to back you up. (IE. LOL PS3 SUX COZ IT HAS NO GAMES). It's also bad when you force your opinion onto other people, and insulting them for playing a different system. 

My two cents. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

yes, it is a horrible thing to be. there can be a crappy game and a fanboy can say something a long the lines of the game is great. yes, it can lead some other causal person into thinking that it is a great game.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@AjayRaz:
Ahh yes! I'm glad somebody mentioned this! 

Your given example, to me, seemed like you described an idiot, but not necessarily a fanboy. A fanboy who is NOT and idiot, would say something more like... 

"I acknowledge Xbox 360 has good games, but I like the Playstation 3 better." That's a fanboy who is not an idiot. 

See what I'm saying here? Fanboy, idiot. Two completely different things.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bigandtasty

When a non-gamer says "fanboy" it has nothing to do with console bias. It's the new vernacular term to describe anyone who invests a lot of time in video games, sci-fi, etc.

But yes, labels are thrown around too often in lieu of an actual argument or detailed explanation. "Fanboy" isn't thrown around as haphazardly as "emo", but on video game forums...it's pretty close.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Yes. A fanboy, to me, is someone applying entirely too much passion to something that's a larger part of their lives than is healthy. There's something seriously deranged about being so caught up in this shit that you jump with glee to know the other console's version of game x will be inferior. That's fucking weird. Its weird to have any opinion at all on a console you don't even own, and to have a negative slant on that console because you don't own it. Its weird. Girls think that's weird and your parents think that's weird. But they won't tell. Lemme tell you. Its weird so stop.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Stang

Being a fanboy is bad if you act like a douchebag to other people.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Yes, being a fanboy is a very bad thing.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArchScabby
@natetodamax said:
" Yes, being a fanboy is a very bad thing. "
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LiquidSwords

Worst group of assholes. If I say  (Insert game here) sucks and you get pissed and try to explain to me why it doesn't, like your going to magically change my mind, then yeah you are a fanboy. 

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Coombs

Being a video game fanboy isnt a bad thing,
Being a sony fanboy or a microsoft fanboy or a PC fanboy on the other hand is a bad thing.

Because being a video game fanboy just means your into gaming, Good stuff.
But being a console or PC fanboy, generally means that you have a specific allegiance to one console or your PC, And a significant bias towards anything other than that.

Fanboys come off as asshats simply because they have no interest in reason or logic, They simply state "X" is better than "X" and anyone who says anything remotely questioning their view is a complete fucking "X" "X" "X" with a stupid fucking "X" "X" "X" and their going to fuck the "X" "X" "X" out of your mother.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dalai
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" @AjayRaz: Ahh yes! I'm glad somebody mentioned this!  Your given example, to me, seemed like you described an idiot, but not necessarily a fanboy. A fanboy who is NOT and idiot, would say something more like...  "I acknowledge Xbox 360 has good games, but I like the Playstation 3 better." That's a fanboy who is not an idiot.   See what I'm saying here? Fanboy, idiot. Two completely different things. "
The problem is fanboys as we call them pretty much always shit on every console but the one they like. There's nothing wrong with liking one console more than another and there's actually nothing wrong with not liking a console, but fanboys make the mistake in thinking what they say is fact... and of course console preference is all subjective. 

What I'm trying to say is that being a fanboy is bad. Nothing wrong with being a Nintendo fan or a Sony fan just as long as you can accept that every console has redeeming qualities.
JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JCGamer

I think that being a true fan of gaming/movies/life isn't bad.  Hell, I grew up with Nintendo and to this day, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Mario and Zelda.  "Fanboy" is being unable to accept something that differs from your own narrow view point.  In regards to games--a fanboy is someone who will bash another console/game without having ever played the thing, just because it is on another system, or part of a series that you don't like.  One of the first blogposts I ever wrote on the site was about fanboyism.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGremp

Being a "video game fanboy" isn't really a big deal, but the bad kind of fanboy is the type that goes around trolling people with opinions opposite of theirs. Such as a 360 fanboy saying "PS3 HAS NO GAMES". I'm a 360/PC fanboy myself, but I try not to be a douche about it. I just strongly prefer the 360's list of games, and have no interest in the PS3. That's not really a bad thing, it's just a strong opinion.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho
@LiquidSwords said:
"  Worst group of assholes. If I say  (Insert game here) sucks and you get pissed and try to explain to me why it doesn't, like your going to magically change my mind, then yeah you are a fanboy.  "
If you say that, and just that, you're kind of a douche either way.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jeffgoldblum

If you love one system over another that's cool. I own all three, but I'm actually quite partial to my PS3, in no small part to its Blu-ray player.
Where you go wrong is when you love one system so much you are blind to reason.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By maxszy

Being a fanboy of a console, developer, game etc is not necissarily a bad thing. The problem is when these "Fanboys" don't take in perspective of other views or opinions and only look at it from their own way. For instance, I admit I am a huge BioWare fan but I realize not everyone is going to love and enjoy all their story driven games like I do. So being a "Fanboy" is alright, just don't go overboard with it and disrespect other people.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Skald

Liking things is okay. Being a corporate shill is not. 

That is all.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn

Yes, because being a fanboy implies some irrational love of one thing and equally irrational hatred of the opposition that cannot ever be adequately explained that makes you look like a complete and utter tool.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
@iAmJohn said:
" Yes, because being a fanboy implies some irrational love of one thing and equally irrational hatred of the opposition that cannot ever be adequately explained that makes you look like a complete and utter tool. "
A "fundamentalist for the trivial" if you will.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn
@ryanwho: That's really good.  I like that a lot.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidSwords
@ryanwho said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
"  Worst group of assholes. If I say  (Insert game here) sucks and you get pissed and try to explain to me why it doesn't, like your going to magically change my mind, then yeah you are a fanboy.  "
If you say that, and just that, you're kind of a douche either way. "
True(I have never said something suck without explaining), But even if you try to explain and give real reasons and not  "Flame bait" reasons and still get shit for it? = Fanboyism
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Turambar
@LiquidSwords said:
But by that definition, anyone giving an explanation of why they disagree with you would fall under "fanboy", wouldn't they?
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60

Yes

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By EVO
@Coombs said:

" Being a video game fanboy isnt a bad thing, Being a sony fanboy or a microsoft fanboy or a PC fanboy on the other hand is a bad thing. "

Not necessarily.

I like to think of the console "wars" as like a sport. You support a platform like you would support a football team. It's not until you start taking it seriously I.E. ignoring other platforms entirely, that it becomes a bad thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Bellum said:

"Fanboy" is one of those insults people use when they can't be assed to be articulate. I avoid it like the plague. Unless I'm referring to myself, because I'm totally an unrepentant PC fanboy.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AURON570

I think the implication of calling someone a fanboy is that he/she is being unfair and closed-minded because of their liking for a certain thing (a game, a genre, a type of music). 

It is natural to have different tastes in music, games...food and whatnot. However, imposing a certain game on another person OR berating a person for his/her taste in games is not going to get anywhere because as I said everyone has different taste in games.

So, someone who isn't a fanboy is someone who is impartial, like a judge. In this respect I don't feel that I am a 'fanboy', or atleast I try not to be. And yes all types of fanboys are bad, including Giantbomb fanboys.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By destruktive
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" It's like saying, "I think I'm a good looking guy." Then somebody else saying, "Dude you're so handsome!!!" but saying it as and insult. "

Put that logic into the word "gay" and you might see where that logic is flawed.
RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RaikohBlade
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" I feel like this term has been thrown around alot, and almost like people would fight that they aren't a fanboy. But is a fanboy really a bad thing?  I like video games more than alot people (but also less then alot of people.) You wouldn't find anything wrong with that now, would you? But somebody could say you're a video game fanboy. Now all of a sudden, it's an insult when it's really just a different way of saying the same thing.  (i.e I like/prefer X over X. Like and prefer being synonyms, but just imagine people finding one of those words insulting.)  It's like saying, "I think I'm a good looking guy." Then somebody else saying, "Dude you're so handsome!!!" but saying it as and insult.     Can't we all just stop stupid things like fanboy? I know that's alot to ask for, too much. But at least here on Giantbomb, is that too much too ask for? We are a community of integrity!!!    Update: So, is everybody saying it's a very bad thing to say Giantbomb is is an aswome game site and is 10,000x better than Gamespot? Soley because you would be a fanboy of on thing? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, this is a serious question. "
Shut up, fanboy, take your fanboyism somewhere else so that we non-fanboys can enjoy ourselves in peace and quiet without a fanboy barging into the forums to rant about how he isn't a fanboy but in actuality he is a fanboy.
mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By mattysen

Making a logical decision like saying Gears of War, Killzone 2 and Mario are good games is not fanboyism. And saying something logical on particular company like Halo ODST and Mass Effect are good games isn't fanboyism. Or even saying I prefer the PS3 over the 360 isn't fanboyism. It's when you take it to far, start sucking the cock (hence the term fanboy) without much reason I.E saying "Why waste your time with a 360, just get a PS3, there soo much better" or "Mass Effect 2 will kill PS3". Finally incase one of the Youtube crew has hustled their way onto Giantbomb: Owning all the consoles does not make your judgement better to anyone else's and/or immune to cock sucking  

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ubiquitous

I don't care too much about all this fanboy business. I just wish that everytime I went on the interweb that I didn't run into five bagillion rascist homophobes that are all equally loud and ignorant. Much more pressing issue than the hate on fanboys. 

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By imhuntad

There is nothing wrong with being a fanboy and doing so within the comfort of your own room. Expressing your need to cripple yourself of even more enjoyment (by not playing more than one console) on gaming forums is the part that makes it annoying. Be a fanboy, keep it to yourself. No harm done...other than to yourself.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidSwords
@Turambar said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
But by that definition, anyone giving an explanation of why they disagree with you would fall under "fanboy", wouldn't they? "
If they get all hurt because I gave valid reason why I (remeber I, as in me, not the whole gaming community) don't like the game and their only response is, "YOU'RE A RETARD!11111" or whatever nerd rage is thrown out there, again = Fanboy
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well before, I used to argue with fanboys, they really take things seriously if they hear anything negative about the console. What happens when your a brand loyalist is the first thing you do is go through these stages, defend, insult, shift blame and damage control, hype flops.  (yes I broke this down to a science and they follow this pattern down to the letter)

defend: no that is not a true statement ex about the ps3 or xbox360, ect it has perfect textures or whatever.  

insult: your an idiot for thinking that, your wrong because your ignorant ect

shift blame: well it has nothing to do with textures for example, it's really the slow read speed of blue ray ect, or the xbox360 needs better cooling other wise it runs perfect and won't rrod. 

damage control: it's no problem at all, since AAA games doesn't mean anything except a high budget (then they spend the entire time on the thread damaging control every one who disagrees with them, then they tell on you for disagreeing with that like they work for sony defense force or their PR team when their exclusive games rarely gets over 90% on gamerankings)  

hype flops: (definition of other forums, some forums define a flop as a game that doesn't get 90% scores or over on gamerankings or gamespot) however they will continue to hype flops non stop regardless of it's quality as the best game ever, like their last hope to save their console like they are hyping a cult religion.  

With such a behavior, it's detrimental to the forums since they could get away with it, there are no rules to stop this cancer, they can ignore everyone elses opposing opinion with facts since fanboys doesn't use facts rather insult and defensive tactics, create uncessary conflict, not letting others have an opinion because they are butthurt for lack of a better word over anything negative about what you said. It's equilvent to when you insult islam or a cult, they would hear nothing of it when they might be clearly wrong yet want to damage control the situation to reduce any sort of damage to their ego or self esteem because they have this perception their console of choice is perfect and can do no wrong since they are brainwashed by bullshots and false promises which is propaganda and lies.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@Ubiquitous said:
"

I don't care too much about all this fanboy business. I just wish that everytime I went on the interweb that I didn't run into five bagillion rascist homophobes that are all equally loud and ignorant. Much more pressing issue than the hate on fanboys. 

"

*Sigh,* there's always one.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By get2sammyb

I don't think fanboyism is a bad thing.

Like I support Man United, I'm a big Playstation and Nintendo fan. Doesn't mean I hate other games or consoles, I just love what Sony and Nintendo do.

Likewise, just because I'm a United fan, I'm not going to say Drogba is terrible striker.

It's ok to be a fan, just don't be narrow-minded.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Godwind
@AjayRaz said:
" Being a fanboy is a bad thing when you say stupid things with no facts to back you up. (IE. LOL PS3 SUX COZ IT HAS NO GAMES). It's also bad when you force your opinion onto other people, and insulting them for playing a different system.  My two cents.  "
I think it is semi humorous watching dumbasses going about bitching about this kind of stuff.  It does however, make me a little sad, as this is what has come to civilization.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Willy105

It's not really a bad thing, just an annoying thing.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheKidNixon

Scott Sharkey had a good commentary on this over on 1Up. To sum up his thoughts on it (which I share), defining yourself by the things you like isn't in and of itself a bad thing. In fact, we all do it, either in our choices of media we decide to consume or even the lifestyles we choose to lead. The problem becomes when we become so blinded by the preferences we have that we feel the necessity to attack the other side. Loving Star Wars and hating Star Trek is one thing; hating someone because they love Star Trek is something else. The former is fine (and in some ways, we can't help it; defining ourselves by external means is part of being human), but the latter is a problem. 

Not to be too "gentle talk," but I much prefer when someone says "FOR ME, I prefer this because of these reasons." When you state your opinion as solid, scientific fact is where good dialogue breaks down.  We're all fanatical about video games, otherwise we wouldn't be here. But you also have to keep those preferences in perspective, and realize that just because you like something doesn't make it necessary for everyone to like it. So yeah, be excited and geek out for the things you love. Just don't hate other people when they geek out.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jkz

Yes its a bad thing. Fanboy is not a term for someone who is a true fan of something, its a term for someone who makes unsubstantiated claims about the superiority of their favorite product over competing products. If you have logical, factual arguments and enjoy intelligent debate on a product's merits, or you just really enjoy a certain product, it does not make you a fanboy; it's when you start vehemently defending a product with no facts or reasons supporting your defense, and when you deny others the right to their own opinions because you believe that your opinion is the "right" opinion that you become a 'fanboy'

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

yes

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Origina1Penguin

There is nothing wrong with having personal preference of something, be it a franchise, company, or a color of the rainbow. I don't really even think there is a problem with that preference being supported by non logical arguments or evidence either. What is wrong is spreading lies or misinformation to support your own preference or, more importantly, discredit anything that is not your preference. That is destructive negativism.